Jerusalem

Jerusalem

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Selma Lagerlof was the first woman and the first Swedish author to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1909. JERUSALEM was written following her trip to Egypt and Palestine in the winter of 1900; the book was inspired by an actual historic event -- a religious pilgrimage of 25 adults and children from Chicago. "JERUSALEM begins with the history of a wealthy and po...more
Published 2006 by Aegypan (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Jerusalem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jerusalem

Manny

Moving, perceptive book about religious mania, full of both intellectual and emotional intelligence. The author, who was herself deeply religious, does an excellent job of telling the story without judging the main characters.

Extremely relevant to the world today - it's a shame this book isn't better known. The film is also outstanding, and equally unknown outside Sweden.
Parikhit
‘Jerusalem’ was my first book authored by Selma Lagerlof, an authoress I am certain I would have never read and a chance encounter made this possible. With a splendid description and an equally splendid narration, Selma Lagerlof left me both amazed and shocked with ‘Jerusalem’.

‘Jerusalem’ narrates the simple but gargantuan story of changing dogmas and faith in a village tucked away in the lush green highlands of Sweden. It spans over two generations and faith is what Selma Lagerlof has expounde...more
Bjorn
On the same day that he arrives in the holy land after never before even setting foot outside his own village, a middle-aged pilgrim comes down with a fever that proves to be fatal. Dying, he asks his companions to carry him into Jerusalem so he can at least see God's city first-hand. As they carry him through a noisy, stinky, crowded city full of people of three different faiths going about their regular business, they point out the landmarks to him: this is where the last supper was held, this...more
Emelie
I find the book a little bit to lengthy. Really long bits that is just descriptive and adds nothing to the story, but gives flesh to the characters. I've mixed feelings about it. The language is beautiful, the narration and descriptions lovely, so I hated it, even if I loved it.

Well build characters.

It was a bit scary to see how fanatic they were, specially in the beginning. Interesting note she made that it was the Christians in Jerusalem that fought each other, not Christians against Jews and...more
Abby
An unexpectedly fun read. Nice ending, with not everything wrapped up neatly, but also not leaving the reader feeling a sequel is needed. I would now like to read more of her books, and I see why she won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Her description of the life of 'ordinary' people is well done without being sentimental, or too verbose or academic.
Joseph Sverker
På många sätt en fantastisk bok. Hon är otrolig på att skildra livsödena. Jag har ingen aning om hur mycket som grundar sig på verkliga händelser, men jag blir väldigt nyfiken att ta reda på mer. Jag vet inte heller om Lagerlöf var nere i Jerusalem, men miljöbeskrivningar och förståelsen för landet är mycket detaljrika och målande. Mycket läsvärd.
Maria M. Elmvang
I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. I'd heard a lot about it, mostly people saying that it was boring and long-winded, so I was a bit apprehensive when we had to read it for book club. It ended up not being boring at all though, and I really enjoyed it :-) It's about a group of Swedish farmers, who decide to move to Jerusalem to help the poor there. I think it takes place in 18-something if I recall correctly. Interesting book. It did have a rather amusing quote though - ended up being...more
Eva
This is a book about a whole Swedish town in the 18th century, where almost everyone living there left their homes in Sweden for the promise land in Jerusalem.
As they were soon to notice, thing's weren't what they had hoped for.

This book is heartbreaking, to say it least, but when the crops in Sweden died, they had nowhere to go. It shows us what people can do out of desperation. And how strong the urge to live and survive is.
Natalie
I think this book is very original. It often veers in unexpected directions. It challenged me when I did not expect to be challenged. It clearly illustrates the many strings that are pulling on all of us, making us act as we do. It illustrates how our own strings get intertwined with others' strings, and a real mess results! But it also shows how the mess can become untangled, sort of. It is beautiful and funny.
Ingewemme
Jerusalem is a book, that often enters my mind. I recall a certain feeling every time I pick it up. It drew me in! In a small town in Sweden, a Christian sect evolves. It destroys relationships and families in the town.
The story takes us from the wild nature of Sweden to the dryness and warmth of Jerusalem, and all the way through the book, you find yourself intoxicated by Selma's great writing.
Chris
I read the e-book version of this from Amazon and I have to think that it was only "part 1" of a longer work. (view spoiler) In that sense, it was only okay. The characters and setting were well-drawn but nothing much seemed to happen.
Joseph Sverker
Jimecli
AWSOME. Selma Lagerlöf le dio primero al clavo que García Márquez, con el debido respeto.
Jane(Janelba)
Set in Swedan and Jerusalem, Israel
Chirris
La historia en sí llega a ser un poco desesperante, pero debería ser usado en clases de redacción. Además la traducción es exacta.
Ancientwindwalker
Ancientwindwalker marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Mikael Svahnberg
Mikael Svahnberg marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
José Bonikoski filho
José Bonikoski filho marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Biblioteca Pacillo
Biblioteca Pacillo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Kate Elliott
Kate Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Chris Finnegan
Chris Finnegan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Marv
Marv marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Nino
Nino marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • Barn av sin stad (Stadsserien, #2)
  • Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants, #2)
  • Doctor Glas
  • Aniara: An Epic Science Fiction Poem
  • Wir Kinder aus Bullerbü
  • Idun: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #2)
  • En dåre fri
  • Sjukdomen (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #2)
  • The Dwarf
  • Kallocain
  • Sandor slash Ida
  • Röda rummet
  • Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot: His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred
  • Marta Oulie: A Novel of Betrayal
  • Ondskan
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf was a Swedish author. In 1909 she became the first woman to ever receive the Nobel Prize in Literature, "in appreciation of the lofty idealism, vivid imagination and spiritual perception that characterize her writings". She later also became the first female member of the Swedish Academy.

Born in the forested countryside of Sweden she was told many of the classic Swed...more
More about Selma Lagerlöf...
The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Gösta Berling's Saga The Emperor of Portugalia Herr Arnes penningar En herrgårdssägen