Start by marking “Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)

Fate's Edge (The Edge #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  9,610 ratings  ·  787 reviews
Audrey Callahan left behind her life in the Edge, and she's determined to stay on the straight and narrow. But when her brother gets into hot water, the former thief takes on one last heist and finds herself matching wits with a jack of all trades...

Kaldar Mar-a gambler, lawyer, thief, and spy-expects his latest assignment tracking down a stolen item to be a piece of cake
Paperback, Ace, 372 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Fate's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fate's Edge

Gordon
We really had fun working on this one, Ilona got to put in her Ocean's Eleven and Leverage elements and I got to put in my disdain of Prosperity Preachers, plus there is romance and fighting. Bayou Moon is still my favorite but this is a very close second. Oh, crap, am I damning my own book with faint praise? Probably, they should put that on there as a blurb, "not as good as the last one but not completely terrible either."
oOSarahOo ☼Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans☼
Buddy read with the eye candy IA Addicts starting Feb. 9, 2015.

Were you expecting an actual review for this book? So sorry about that. Not gonna happen. "Why," you ask? Because BOOM! "What's that sound," you ask? That's the sound of Kaldar Mar hitting me like a brick.

The Edge Productions proudly present
A day in the life of Kaldar Mar

8.00 a.m.: wake up. The Mirror needs your services. No wonder. You're a roguishly irresistible conman and you're as slick as they come. Or so you think.
8.30 a.m.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3,5 Stars

BR with the awesome IAA gang.

Hook is my Kaldar. It fits perfectly!

I wanted to love this book. I did want to, badly. It didn't work that way though. Although IA's usual charm is still there, in the badass characters, in the great dialogs, in the bickering couple, in the freaking awesome side characters, this book was just a tiny bit too slow for me to love.

Kaldar and Audrey were great. I loved how Kaldar could charm the pants off a nun and how Audrey could con her way into anything. Stil
Robin (Bridge Four)
Reasons why I’m so happy I reread this with my ever awesome girls at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA):

Watching oOSarahOo try to steal Kaldar away from almost everyone else in the IAA group. She gets a little territorial about her book boyfriends, and doesn’t like to share. It got a little intense and I thought someone might get Bitchslapped, good thing we are all friends.
 photo bitchslap_zps9cf7f7fe.jpg

Figuring out custody and visitation rights to both Jack and George. I’m pretty sure that the IAA group collectively adopted them.
Jen (Red Hot Books)
The Edge series has turned a corner for me with this book. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the first two. But in each installment, I felt like I had to work for it. Now, for the first time with this series, I was able to jump into the story with both feet from the beginning. Maybe it's because I am already familiar with the world building and many of the characters, but I don't think so. I think it's more of a change in focus. This book felt much more honed in on our main couple and their adventu ...more
Felicia
Why did this sit on my Kindle for so long unread? Because I'm a dumbass. This book was SOOO fun. I've said it before about this series, and I'll say it again. This author knows how to write kids in urban fantasy that I don't want to get shipped off to military school and never see again. I LOVE these kids' characters. And honestly, i think I wasn't crazy about the love interest from the last installment and that's why I was slow to read this, but the book really matched the leads up well. Top UF ...more
Kristen
This review is dedicated to all my IA loves :*

The tangent:

I have been reading The Edge series with a bunch of wonderful IA lovers. I did not review the first two books because real life was smacking me in the face. I decided to review the 3rd book for three main reasons:

A) It has been my favorite of the series.
B) oOSarahOo is being her normal annoying self (AKA amazing)
C) Life stopped bitch slapping me in the face. (Thanks life!)

By Sarah being her normal annoying self, I mean that she won’t get
Alexa
My favorite of the series so far :D

Our new leading lady, Audrey, is just as awesome as any other IA female character. But I liked her better because she was different! Most IA females are snarky and wouldn't worry about kicking some behind if needed. Audrey is smart, great at what she does... but she's not snarky. Sarcastic yes, funny too! But she was a bit.. softer? I liked the change.

Kaldar was also amazing. He was funny and direct, so refreshing!

I loved the interactions between then and I w
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
I would be such an easy mark for Kaldar Mar, he would just smile his seductive smile and I would hand him over all my worldly goods. Granted, he may be disappointed as he will mostly come away with more books then he can carry and Xavier the Xbox but it is all there ripe for plucking. Luckily Audrey Callahan isn't as gullible as I am, so she would probably manage to keep her Xbox (if she had one) and most her books (I reckon Kaldar would take a few, just because he can) but, will she keep her he ...more
Allison
I'm really behind on writing reviews lately. I want to get this one out there since I've already finished the last book of the series, so I'm going for the random bullet point method.

Things I liked:

- The humor and fun of having a conman and conwoman as protagonists.
- I really enjoyed the heists.
- Kaldar is such a loveable rogue. There's plenty of witty dialog in the middle of serious jobs.
- Jack and George have large roles to play. I like how this series has romance, but also has side characters
Erica Ravenclaw

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

On the Edge (Book 1)

Bayou Moon (Book 2)

Ah! This, again, took me awhile to sink into. I'm not sure why I find the beginning of all of these books so tedious, but somehow I plow through, because I know how worth it, it is to finish. They are so good. I think I had forgotten how negatively I felt throughout most of the entire first book, yet I gave it a descent rating, they won me over with that ending. That seems to be the theme of me and these book
Jen
Audrey and Kaldar
When I pick up an Ilona Andrews book I start it knowing that I need to pay attention. Fate’s Edge, the third book in their Edge series, was no different. They immediately throw a lot of terms at you. You are introduced to the Edge, the Broken, the Weird, the Hand, the Mirror and so on. The first 100 pages of the book must be read slowly so you don’t miss any of the terms or what the Andrews are trying to show you to. Once you get past the initial info dump, as always, this team
Ya~
4.5-stars
This was my favorite of The Edge series by far!
Mrs. Badass
How on earth to start this review... I could start by saying that I think Ilona Andrews writes SUPERB Worlds and Characters. I could say that Ilona Andrews has the most Fantastic imagination when it comes to monsters and villains. I could say that Ilona Andrews writes witty and funny dialogue, which doesn't feel forced or cheesy. (Unless they want it to, of course) But if I said all those things, what would I tell you about Fate's Edge? That would be the end of this review, and I then would tell ...more
Kathleen
(Lots of bloody murder, swearing, profanity, one or two sex scenes)

2.5 stars. Maybe I'm a grouch, but I can't quite find three stars in this book. I liked Book 1 -- On the Edge -- much better, and Book 2 -- Bayou Moon, is my favorite so far, cuz I adored William the wolf, and Cerise was one impressive warrior. (Book 4 update: Steel's Edge is great, too.)

Characters:
Kaldar, the secret agent who works for the Mirror, and Audrey, a lock-picker par excellence who is forced to help Keldar. The boys J
Jaime
Apr 12, 2015 Jaime marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
DNF 69%

I have had this sitting on my 'currently reading' shelf for 6 weeks after pausing due to boredom.

And frankly, I'm sick of seeing it there, and I find myself disinclined to continue.

I love you, Ilona Andrews. But, I don't like reading series where the protagonist/s change with each book. So, you were pushing shit uphill right from the get go making me a fan of the Fate's Edge series.

Not happening.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 STARS!

Posted on Under the Covers

While FATE’S EDGE is really the third book in The Edge series, it was my first delve into this alternate world of The Weird, the Broken and The Edge. Though I worried that I would be lost entering in the middle of a series, I soon found out that I had no reason to be. The writing team of Ilona Andrews may create a vastly unique and complex world, but they are considerate enough to add in a few details here and there for new readers who would like to try this
Kelly
(4.5 stars) Fate's Edge is the third in the EDGE series by husband-and-wife duo Ilona Andrews. While the EDGE books feature recurring characters and plot threads and can all be categorized as paranormal romance, each book so far has a different "feel." On the Edge was a fairy tale; Bayou Moon, with the dark mad-science secrets at its heart, had something of the Gothic about it. Fate's Edge is a caper story. Sure, the protagonists have some personal demons to face, but for the most part the book ...more
Phrynne
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the new characters very much but I also enjoyed having Rose and Declan, William and Cerise and the boys all back and having important parts to play. The relationship between Audrey and Kaldar was delightful and some of their banter was really entertaining. I really liked this series from the very first book and so far it is still good. May there be many more!
Sandra
4.5 stars.

This is mainly for my Ilona Andrews Addicts team ladies and it might contain mild spoilers from previous books that I’m not hiding behind spoiler tags.

What can go wrong in PNR when you match a thief with a lot of disguises that can make Fate favors him and a woman who is a natural at the con art and can intrude in every security vault if she wants and make them do a special job for you? (view spoiler)

Yes! The premis
I know I've said it before but I think it's worth repeating - Ilona and Gordon Andrews can do no wrong! Seriously, this writing duo could put their shopping list in a book and I would buy it and devour every page. I still can't believe that this is my first time reading their Edge series but I can guarantee it won't be the last, I'm actually already contemplating when I can fit in my first reread and I've not even read the final book yet. These books just get better and better and I can't wait t ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Unlike Andrews’ Kate Daniel series, which is one of the best urban fantasy series ever written, the Edge series is rightly categorized as paranormal romance, albeit one that embraces a host of other fantasy tropes to produce something that feels fresh and classic at the same time. The chapters alternate between his and her POV and as with the previous two books, readers can be assured of a happily ever after ending.

The romance is a central feature of F
Mandi Schreiner
Favorite Quote: At the door, Audrey called, “Are you coming?”

“No, just breathing hard, love.” He glanced at her and was rewarded by an outraged glare, followed by, “Oh my God!”

Ilona Andrews is in the very top of my favorite authors list. They are amazing storytellers and come up with the most unique, and fascinating paranormal worlds. Fate’s Edge is no exception.

Before I set up the book, I’ll briefly explain this world. There is the Broken, which is the world we all live in. No magic, and most p
MandyM
This is the third book in the excellent Edge Series. In it charming conman and Mirror operative Kaldar, meets his match in beautiful grifter Audrey. Those two gorgeous boys from book 1, George and Jack, play a huge part in the tale as they stowaway on Kaldar's wyvern. Kaldar, Audrey, George, Jack and Gaston, plus a menagerie of rescued animals (including a raccoon named Ling the Merciless!), are on the trail of a stolen artefact and battling the gruesome forces of the Hand along the way.

As usual
Theresa
I've been a fan of Ilona Andrews ever since I read On the Edge, the first book in "The Edge" series. Despite my sometimes finicky attitude toward paranormal fiction I like the genre when it's inventive and well written and I was really looking forward to Fate's Edge.But, like too many of my favorite urban fiction favorites, I fear the series is starting to buckle under the weight of too many contrivances.

Audrey Callahan is a former thief with the magical ability to open locks-- an ability and
Cathryn
What is it with this series? For the first 2/3 of the book I am kind of bored. I can't put my finger on what is wrong. I like the characters and the world but I'm just not hooked. Then I get to the last 1/3 of the book and I am LOVING IT! I really expected this one to pull me in too since Kaldar is my favorite guy in this world. Oh well, it must be me but I don't know what is wrong.

2/19/15: Edited for grammatical errors. Was I drunk when I wrote this?
Angela
4.5 Stars

This book started a bit slow for me. There was quite a bit in the beginning in Jack and George's POV, which was interesting, but I was really looking forward to getting to the story.

Once Kaldar - what a great character, full of life, charm, and loyalty - and Audrey met the story really picked up and I couldn't stop turning pages, staying up far into the night to continue reading.

If you've read Bayou Moon you know Kaldar of the Mar family. He's taken a job with the Mirror in order to gai
AH
It’s been a while since I read Fate’s Edge and having had the time to think about this book, I still have good feelings about it. Fate’s Edge is an action-packed adventure and is the latest book in Ilona Andrews’ Edge series. The Edge series has got to be one of the more imaginative series out there. Set in a world that seems parallel to ours, the people of the Edge live between our world (The Broken) and the magical aristocratic world of The Weird. Strange creatures, weird customs, eccentric ch ...more
Veronica Del Rosa
Kaladar... holy jumping he was fantastic! A rogue, a thief, a pickpocket and good with his sword. And no, that's not a euphemism. ;) Damn he amused me. One part selfish and carefree, other part protective of his family and those he love. He was a delightful contradiction.

Audrey, damn what a kickass woman. An amazing thief and grifter. She had Kaladar's number from the moment they met and she refused to fall for his deliciously roguish ways. I loved that she kept him on her toes, and that Kaladar
Cathy (cathepsut)
The plot did not grip me as much as Bayou Moon, but I really liked the addition of George, Jack and Gaston. Bayou Moon was grittier, darker, with a more interesting plot.

The changing POV made for a nice variation in the tone of the story and added some liveliness.

I adore the wyvern!

The developping romance between Audrey and Kaldar did not really work for me. Halfway through the book it still mostly consisted of him staring at her butt and her flipping him off, there was no tension. I was just pr
Lovers of Paranor...: [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews 6 37 Jan 30, 2014 05:34AM
Ilona Andrews Fans: Kaldar Mar 4 31 Jun 17, 2013 03:34PM
The Ultimate ABC ...: Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews 1 10 Mar 14, 2012 04:54AM
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)
  • Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom, #7)
  • Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

The Edge (4 books)
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
  • Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)
  • Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“If the sky could dream, it would dream of dragons.” 117 likes
“Jack didn’t fully get Jesus. Audrey tried to explain it, and he could repeat it back to her, word for word, but he still didn’t comprehend most of it. The best he could gather was that Jesus lived long ago, told people to be nice, and they killed him for it. At the end, he asked who was Jesus’ necromancer and if he was in the Bible, then Kaldar couldn’t stop laughing and had to sit down.” 38 likes