Start by marking “The Veiled One” as Want to Read:
The Veiled One

The Veiled One (Inspector Wexford #14)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,705 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews

Chief Inspector Wexford, injured in a car bombing, must rely on Detective Mike Burden to catch a killer in what appears to be a murder without motive

Chief Inspector Wexford couldn’t know that the bundle of rags in the parking garage concealed a body—he’d just been doing a bit of light shopping, after all, not looking for dead housewives. Wexford won’t be on the case
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Veiled One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Veiled One

Bettie☯

Read by.................. Robin Bailey
Total Runtime......... 9 Hrs 2 Mins

Description: One November evening, Wexford drives him from Barringdean Shopping Centre, noticing nothing amiss. He is preoccupied with family matters. precisely, his daughter Sheila who, in protest, has damaged Ministry of Defence Property, the wire fence surrounding a nuclear weapons facility. An actress, her face is automatically splashed across the papers.
Later, at home, Burden phones through with the news: a garotted bo
Jaksen
Aug 29, 2015 Jaksen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Inspector Wexford series by Ruth Rendell. I absolutely loved this, one of her best.

In this one the good inspector is nearly blown up (early in the story, no spoilers here) and is rendered more than little under the weather, so his partner/sidekick fills in, Mike Burden.

The mystery here isn't really who tried to kill the good inspector, but who killed a middle-aged woman found dead in a parking garage. There's a slew of potential leads and suspects, as well as red herrings and fal
Chris
Mar 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
See what happens when you close shopping centers at funny hours, like 6 pm? Dead bodies pop up in the parking lot. It's the frustation of not being able to get dinner.

This is the first Wexford book I read, and I enjoyed it very much. It is what Miss Marple and Jessica Flecther should be.
Gabby
Jun 05, 2013 Gabby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, very, very few writers do this genre better than Ruth Rendell. Every now and then, someone will compare another author to her, but, in my view, those comparisons have been dead wrong every time. I'm not a huge fan of Inspector Wexford. He used to be far too arrogant for my taste, but over the years as I read more of him, he grew on me. I'm almost up to "like". In this mystery he is not the main investigator on the case, and it's interesting to see how the case moves forward withou ...more
Chief Inspector Wexford investigates the estrangement of a middle-age housewife at a car park of a supermarket. In the meantime, he takes over the case after the explosion of a bomb in his car which was addressed to his subversive daughter.

A lot of action in this book, as usual by any book written by Ruth Rendell.
Katherine Spivey
Apr 17, 2017 Katherine Spivey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usual fine job. Love the sibling rivalry.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
One of the better Inspector Wexford books so far. Mike Burden becomes a therapist of sorts to this unhinged young man he suspects of murder. Wexford's daughter is the target of a car bomb, in which Wexford himself in hurt. There's a lot going on in this book but the threads all come together brilliantly in the end.
Connie (Ava Catherine)
Chief Inspector Wexford is investigating the murderer of a housewife in the parking lot of a shopping center when his daughter's car is bombed. The book is a psychological mystery. I like the study of characters and their motives.
Bruce
Nov 16, 2007 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
A solid mystery filled with fascinating quirky characters and lots of likely suspects.
Shauna
Great writing as always from Ruth Rendell but I thought the denouement was weak and extemely far-fetched. A very enjoyable read.
Brian
Jan 14, 2017 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A psychological mystery. Rendell gets deep into her characters minds in this novel. A disturbing study of what makes a murderer. wonderful.
The side plot is equally exciting.
4 stars
Nathanielk
Jul 25, 2007 Nathanielk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Ruth Rendell started going a bit soft...excellent exemplar of an outstanding series.
Sandra
May 28, 2017 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
excellent
Rudy
Mar 04, 2017 Rudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending is clogged and won't drain away with satisfaction. The rest of the writing is filled with interior dialogue that is superb.
Mckinley
Dec 15, 2016 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, novel
I got bogged down in the middle and enjoyed the ending as I typically seem to do with this series.
Barbara
Very English in style, humor and characters. Moved slowly.
Ralph
Jun 27, 2014 Ralph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On any other day when the body of a woman turns up in the underground car park of the main shopping center in Kingsmarkham Chief Inspector Reginald Wexford would quietly and methodically piece together all the elements of the case, breaking down alibis and ferreting out all the secrets people have squirreled away in the dark corners of their lives, ably assisted, more or less, by Inspector Mike Burdern. On this particular day, however, Wexford pulls out of the very same car park, before the disc ...more
Sofia Loureiro
Sep 30, 2016 Sofia Loureiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Não costumo ler romances policiais mas gostei bastante deste livro. A autora descreve os personagens de forma eficaz, boa descrição e domina a técnica de narrador oniscente alternando entre os pontos de vista de Burden e Wexford.
angie
Jan 02, 2017 angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Ruth Rendell and her Inspector Wexford series but this one was not that great. Still, I read it in two days. Improbable mystery plot but her characters are perfectly quirky and her style unparalleled.
Daryl Anderson
In The Veiled One, Chief Inspector Wexford and his longtime assistant Inspector Mike Burden investigate the murder of an older woman found strangled (or garroted) to death in a drab parking garage. Although Rendell demonstrates her usual mastery of psychology, both normal and abnormal, the plot creaks from the contrivances the writer forces on it. Simply put, too much happens by coincidence, which, in part, necessitates a long-winded denouement.

Early on, Wexford is removed from the investigation
Ching-Bing-Ping
I started The Veiled One with some apprehension. I am not a big fan of psychological mysteries, recently biting the dust after reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which was high on psychology and very low on twists and thrill. And, as Rendell is known for her psychological mysteries, more for her ‘why-done-it’ than the ‘who-done-it’, I started this book cautiously, not sure what to expect. But, by the end, I was panting, out of breath, and trying to tell everyone that what a great crime novel I ...more
Maria Thermann
May 01, 2015 Maria Thermann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Rendell's brilliant crime caper, The Veiled One, beings rather unusually with the Inspector being too preoccupied with the purchase of his wife's birthday present to notice the a murder is being committed right under his nose.

When dramatic events in his private life literally knock the Chief Inspector off his feet and into hospital, and place the case of a murdered woman found in a multi-storey car park of the local shopping centre into Inspector Mike Burden's hands, the solving of the mur
Sara
Sep 10, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amateur psychologists
Here's the kind of description Rendell can write - haircurling, really - about a shopping center garage:
"It was car world, an area of car life where bodies were cars and people their brains or moving spirits. Oil and water lay in pools, car excrement, and the place smelled of car sweat."

Now to the story itself:
How do suddenly-conceived ideas take such firm root in the brain that they override all perception and common sense? Burden is forced to ask this question after it happens to him and he is
Philip
Jun 01, 2011 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this Chief-Inspector Wexford novel by my favorite author. When it comes to Rendell, the Wexfords take third place for me, behind the Barbara Vines and the Rendell stand-alones - this isn't to say that I haven't read and enjoyed all of them, and that I don't read each new one as soon as it appears - they're quite good, and I've read most of them twice.

6/03: This one stands out not only as an excellent entry in the Wexford series, but as the kind of novel of psychological suspense that
Hal
May 29, 2014 Hal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read eight or nine of Rendell's Inspector Wexford novels. I found this one to be the weakest.

She is an excellent novelist with well developed characters. But this story was flawed by some holes in the plot and an uncharacteristic tendency to ramble on. Nothing bores me more than irrelevant passages about the weather. In general, I find the shorter Rendell's novels are, the more I appreciate the writing. This one was padded a bit.

I think context was also a problem for me here. If I had not
N
Only one word came to my mind when I finished reading it last night; solid! This is a solid psychological mystery. It was a sheer pleasure to read Ruth Rendell's The Veiled One. I always find it hard to resist psychological mysteries and psychological element is good enough for me to like a mystery book but Veiled One has added bonus; this book is just perfect! It has everything a mystery book should have; tight plot, red herrings, lots of suspense, thorough characterization, twists and turns, r ...more
Francis
Mar 23, 2012 Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a couple hundred mystery books or so. And, if you were to ask me, whom I considered the greatest mystery writer of them all? I would answer with, "I couldn't possibly say." But what I could say, is somewhere in the top five, you would find Ruth Rendell.

Why? First her characters and in particular her villainous characters, are complex. On the outside, they appear normal, they function well and are well mannered, if not polite. Yet there is a pattern of coldness and rigidity. They are
Kathleen O'Nan
Jun 22, 2015 Kathleen O'Nan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liz
Aug 07, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rendell-wexford
One thing is clear. Gwen Robson, the murder victim, was a blackmailer. But whom was she blackmailing, and why? And would – could – the victim have killed her? Chief Inspector is diverted from his attention to the case when his own family is threatened. His daughter Sheila, a famous actress, is using her fame to work for anti-nuclear causes, and when her car is bombed in the Chief Inspector’s driveway (with Wexford himself driving it), it seems that someone is prepared to go to great lengths to g ...more
Meryl Sussman
The Veiled One has nothing to do with Muslim women in case you are wondering. In fact, I am still puzzled by the name. The cover illustration gives a lot of the plot away so I will not give out more information.

Rendell's characterizations are fabulous. Each of the leads, including the detectives and their families, the suspects and their families are fully realized so that you feel you would recognize them in a crowd and choose to spend an evening talking with some of them.

So why only three sta
  • The Black Abbot
  • Lady Here's Your Wreath
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Gallowglass
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • The Heat's On (Harlem Cycle, #6)
  • The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret
  • Double, Double  (Ellery Queen Detective, #21)
  • Black Money
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • Babel (Brock & Kolla, #6)
  • Two Lives and a Dream
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, was an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries and above all for Inspector Wexford.
More about Ruth Rendell...

Inspector Wexford (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1)
  • A New Lease of Death (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • A Guilty Thing Surprised (Inspector Wexford, #5)
  • No More Dying Then (Inspector Wexford, #6)
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)
  • Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
  • Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford, #9)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)