Start by marking “Vowed in Shadows: A Novel of the Marked Souls” as Want to Read:
Vowed in Shadows: A Novel of the Marked Souls

Vowed in Shadows: A Novel of the Marked Souls (Marked Souls #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Once a righteous missionary man, Jonah Walker now endures immortality with nothing but a body built for battle and a heart set on retribution. But his last devastating fight left him wounded beyond healing-and his only chance for redemption lies with a fallen woman whose passion burns through the shadows...
Published April 1st 2011 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about Vowed in Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vowed in Shadows

Melindeeloo
I'd forgotten how much I love this series (once you get past all the confusing 't' terms: Talyan,Teshuva .... good thing there is a glossary) I like the possessed warriors with the damaged souls who find a mate to fill in the holes. This time the pairing is a crippled former missionary, Jonah, and Nim, the stripper with her own scars. And I was surprised that even though the heroine strikes out on her own to face danger and certain death on several occassions, she did it without coming across as ...more
Jenny
Review originally posted at: http://supernaturalsnark.blogspot.com...

Actual Rating: 3.5

MY THOUGHTS
Vowed in Shadows, third in the Marked Souls series, is a story of intensity and complexity, its pages home to a dark world where demons run rampant–some seeking to harm and others to repent–but all coming together in a gripping battle revealed to us chapter by chapter. Fighting what seems to be a losing battle is a set of characters who are intriguing in their circumstances, their possession by demo
Heather
Missionary man Jonah Walker lost everything when he was possessed by a demon. He’s spent his immortal life fighting the relentless battle against evil. In his last fight he lost a vital part of himself and started questioning his existence. Now duty calls him to train a newly demon-possessed woman, but he’s not sure he’s up for the challenge, for he has nothing left to offer.

Nim “Naughty Nymphette” Hamlin spends her nights stripping for money. She’s positive the world’s not worth saving. However
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/04/rev...

Reviewed by Tori

Favorite Quote: “When I was alone, I prayed for you-the notion of you-even though I don’t believe anymore. I dreamed of you, even when I was afraid to sleep.”

Blurb: Once a righteous missionary man, Jonah Walker now endures immortality with nothing but a body built for battle and a heart set on retribution. But his last devastating fight left him wounded beyond healing—and his only chance for redemption lies with a falle
Jane Stewart
Did not finish. Read the first 120 pages. There were three scenes of fighting monsters that were not described well, too vague. I had no idea what was going on. The character development was boring. Reading was tedious. The hero and heroine are humans, but each one has a demon that entered them and resides inside. A demon had partially entered Nim before the book starts and then finished entering her while Jonah was present. There is no showing of Nim’s feelings, thinking, or reactions during he ...more
Tania
"Vowed in Shadows" by Jessa Slade. Book 3 in the Marked Souls series.

I'm giving this book 2 stars like I have all the other books in the series so far but I will say I liked this one a bit more than the others (I would have given it 2.5 stars). This book focused on talya warrior Jonah and a stripper named Nim.

Jonah has lost his fighting hand do to a terrible accident (in one of the previous books) and now chooses to use a hook for a hand. He feels like he is of little use to the talyan warriors
Bookaholics
Vowed in Shadows by Jessica Slade
Paranormal Romance -April 5th, 2011
4 stars

Vowed in Shadows is the third book in the Marked Souls series. As part of a complex series it is best to have read at least one of the prior books.

Jessica Slade quickly jumps into action with a surprisingly sensual opening as the heroine, a stripper tries to seduce the hero!! In this series, demons who want to repent possess special humans and give them supernatural powers. Each of the demons has a different power and
Bookaholics
Vowed in Shadows by Jessica Slade
Paranormal Romance –April 5th, 2011
4 stars

In this series, demons who want to repent possess special humans and give them supernatural powers. Each of the demons has a different power and th
Pam
The third book in the Novel of the Marked Souls series did not disappoint.

This was a great addition to the series - love the heroines in the stories, they think for themselves, take on all challenges, do not take any "crap" from anyone - even their mates. They are so independent and it makes for a great story.

Vowed in Shadows is about the talya Jonah who has found his mate in a stripper named Nim. They are the most unlikely pair since he walked a path of "faith" in his former life and she has be
Jess
Someone sent me a copy of this book that they won through a contest and I was so excited to get started on it. This is a really great series that has fantastic romance, adventure and drama to it.

The main character in this book is Jonah Walker, who is still trying to deal with his loss that happened in the previous book. He feels that his mate is out there and he finds an unlikely woman who is supposed to walk into battle with him. Her name is Nim, and she's a stripper. Nim is everything Jonah h
Darcy
This book is my favorite of the series so far and a big part of that is due to Nim. She is such a fun character, I loved her! She was sassy, had a razor sharp tongue, was flip, and didn't take much serious, just what the league needs to shake them up. I also felt sorry for her, her past was horrible and you understood that much of what I liked about her was all about her putting up walls so no one could get close to her and hurt her again.

I really think that would take someone just like Jonah to
Shauni
Jessa Slade has been very sneaky, slowly building her overall arc until finally in Vowed in Shadows the story bursts forth like a flamethrower (what you thought I would say a rose in spring? This is Urban Fantasy it needs a flamethrower!). The first two books were compelling, sneaking into your consciousness and not letting go but Vowed is not so subtle. It smashes through with Liam’s Hammer. Instantly compelling, fast paced and furious! A fabulous read!

Jonah Walker had it all, a man of God, wit
Amanda
Robin

This is the third book in Jessa Slade's Marked Souls series and probably the best so far. I really enjoyed this one and it wasn't as starkly depressing as the first two. I felt like the ending gave the hero and his heroine a happy ending for once. This marked the introduction of an angle into the mix so I'm guessing at some point he'll get a girl as well. This makes me think I won't be so reluctant to read or listen to the next one. I read this one but I'm pretty sure I have the next one on audi
Maggie Lynch
I've been following this series and I have to admit I'm a sucker for wounded soul stories--even though I don't usually like demon possession stories. This is the third installment in Jessa Slade's urban fantasy Marked Souls series. In this one "Naughty Nymphette" faces off with a missionary man. Both are possessed with demons, but each one handles it differently. Though on the face of it, both the setting and the relationship are impossible, Jessa Slade makes it work.
Jennifer Mackintosh
Despite a somewhat scattered plot, it was a fun story. I enjoyed the non-traditional heroine with her irrepressible mouth. The hero struck me as a bit of a self-pitying kill-joy but he showed signs of geting over it.

The concept is one I've seen before: a group of chosen part-demon warriors trying to hold back the apocalypse. But Jessa Slade pulls off some interesting characters and an enjoyable plot to put it in.

A fun light read for the weekend.
Diana
Pretty good PNR; better, smarter than a lot of what's out there. The world Slade builds is compelling and complex and her warriors use more brain than brawn in their battle against the forces of evil. The second book was too similar to the first one, but in this third entry the buttoned up scholar and the street savvy stripper are originals. Excessive repetition of the unique terminology is on the annoying side but narrator Renee Raudman makes it work.
Christy
I'm not so sure what review should I give. Honestly, I'm sure this book is good for some people bur for me.... I've to drag myself to finish up this book. It was just not get me all excited or curious to read till the end of the book. Maybe it's just not my kind of book.
Jenny Delandro
I tried
Really ...
I did.

I just could generate any empathy to basically unlikeable characters

I got to page 95

and then I found more interesting books to read...
Lily
Great read! I loved the storyline of Nim. I'd love to see her future books go back and forth between women and men as the main characters.
Michelle the Romance Witch
pretty good book if a little farfeteched on the romance angle.
Shari
This series is becoming very predictable.
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2012 Rebecca marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marked it to read
Alexus
Alexus marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Shanna Mills
Shanna Mills marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Staz
Staz marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Emma
Emma added it
Mar 04, 2015
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • Haunting Desire (Mists of Ireland #3)
  • Dead Alert (Guardians of the Dark, #5)
  • Red Mortal (Gods of Midnight, #4)
  • Daybreak (Dark Age Dawning, #3)
  • The Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #3)
  • Dark Enchantment (Dark Magick, #3)
  • Forgotten Sea (Children of the Sea, #5)
  • Seduce Me in Flames (Three Worlds #2)
  • Storm Kissed (Nightkeepers, #6)
  • Frostbound (The Dark Forgotten, #4)
  • Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3)
  • Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)
  • Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1)
  • Vampire Dragon (Works Like Magick, #3)
  • My Dangerous Pleasure (My Immortals #4)
  • Blood of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #1)
  • A Kiss of Ashen Twilight (Ashen Twilight #1)
  • Chaos Burning (Bound by Magick, #2)
Read more at:
jessaslade.com
Find Jessa online at:
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest

"Wonderfully addictive!"
~New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter

“Dark and sexy and intense."
~New York Times Bestselling Author Nalini Singh

“[F]or readers who love J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, the Marked Souls series will hit the spot."
~RT BOOK Reviews

More about Jessa Slade...

Marked Souls (4 books)
  • Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1)
  • Forged Of Shadows (Marked Souls #2)
  • Darkness Undone (Marked Souls, #4)
Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1) Forged Of Shadows (Marked Souls #2) Darkness Undone (Marked Souls, #4) Queen of Starlight (Sheerspace, #1) Dark Hunter's Touch (Steel Born 1)