Start by marking “Déjame entrar” as Want to Read:
Déjame entrar

Déjame entrar

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  49,097 ratings  ·  4,056 reviews
It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last—revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on

Published April 30th 2011 by Planeta (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Déjame entrar, please sign up.

Christina Young I recommend watching the Swedish version of the movie. It was really good. The American one was very very watered down. Technically the book is way…moreI recommend watching the Swedish version of the movie. It was really good. The American one was very very watered down. Technically the book is way more brash and violent and twisted and disgusting than both movies. But I definitely think the Swedish movie is great and would actually recommend watching it whether you read the book first or not.(less)

Paul Bryant
I finally got my revenge on Sweden. For most of my life I’ve been bombarded with newspapers and radio telling me how Sweden is so much much very much absolutely completely better than Britain at practically everything. Here’s some random quotes from the BBC news archive :

“Sweden has probably the strongest freedom of information law anywhere in the world.”

“Sweden has one of the best staffed health services in the world. But as a parent, Sweden seems the perfect place to have children.”

“BBC's Joe
Manny
You know that bit at the beginning of Amadeus, where Salieri has composed this very uninspired little march, which he and the Emperor play for Mozart? Then Mozart sits down at the keyboard and says, hm, that's not quite right, is it? And he messes around with it for a couple of minutes, until he's suddenly transformed it into "Here's farewell to the games with the girls" from The Marriage of Figaro.

Well, it's like that Låt den rätte komma in and Twilight. John Ajvide Lindqvist has looked at Ste
Jason
Yo, lesson for you, Stephenie: this is how you write a fucking vampire novel.

So you can run and tell THAT.

Antoine Dodson
Stephen
Soiled…soiled and a bit emotionally off-kilter.

That’s the best I can do to describe how this book made me feel. It’s dark, morose and...really…really...REALLY…creepy. Not strange sounds and creaking doors creepy. Creepylike that "overly affectionate" uncle who stares at you too often and always wants a hug that lasts for an inappropriate length of time. That kind of creepy.

This book oozes it.

The working class Swedish suburb where the story takes place feels dingy, depressing and rundown. The peo
Kemper
After watching the Swedish movie this book is based on, I thought it was an intensely creepy film and promptly got the book to check out the full story. I figured that the planned American film version would be a pale shadow of the original because there’s no way that a Hollywood movie studio is going to show that messed up tale in it’s original form to audiences in the U.S. Little did I know that even the Swedish producers didn’t have the collective nutsack to give us the full story on how godd ...more
Kat Kennedy
Imagine for a moment that you were at an event, like the 1995 Rugby World cup where South Africa both hosted and won. Imagine being there in the heat of that moment - the cheer and ebulation. That light, almost unreal sense that the world has faded away and there is only that moment. Nothing else is important and you want to quietly capture the complete bliss you are experiencing and put it in a bottle somewhere. Hopefully at some future date you can take it out and rekindle those emotions and b ...more
Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

I can't even find the words to describe how much I LOVED this novel. But let me start by warning Twilight lovers that this book is not about sexy sparkly vampires and teenage love. If you are not ready to read about ugly realities of human life, do not open this book.

It is not an easy book to read. The story is complex and involves many characters, whose presence sometimes is just momentary. The action moves from one character to another very quickly. But once you und
Kristen
Terrifying, engrossing and a book that encompasses many different topics. Not just a story about vampires; this book takes on such issues as bullying, revenge, pedophilia, prostitution, drug use, alcoholism and the sheer desperation of loneliness. Beautifully written and terribly disturbing. This book sets the bar for the genre.
Melissa
Dear Stephenie,

This is how you write a "vampire" book.

Sincerely,

The World
Shovelmonkey1
Jul 03, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: my sister
I finished reading “Let the right one in” last night and immediately started reading a book about some nice people having a nice Catholic life in a nice part of Northern Ireland with a nice summer house and a nice family. It was all very nice. (for those of you who are wondering the nice book is The Heather Blazing by Colm Toibin - it’s on the 1001 books list.)

I’ve had this nice book on my shelf for about three years and never bothered to read it till now. So, why now? I can only conclude that s
Edward Lorn
The character writing is phenomenal. The story is brutal and unsettling and, at times, eerie. It is not only one of the best vampire novels I've read, but one of the best horror novels I've ever come across. Deserves to be shelved with the greats.

Håkan and Eli's reunion is now one of my top five most disturbing scenes in literature. It will be a long time before I get that vile shit out of my head, if I ever do.

In summation: This review is short because I have nothing bad to say about Let the R
Esteban del Mal
Jul 18, 2010 Esteban del Mal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who wonder what a baby made by Bram Stoker and William Golding would look like
Joe Valdez
If I listed the things that scared me most, vampires running around looking for blood wouldn't rate in my top 10. They wouldn't rate in my top 50. That said, John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let the Right One In (translated and distributed in the U.S. as Let Me In) unsettled me in multiple ways. I actually started reading it in 2012, then again in 2013, before finally making it through its house of horrors. And I'm sure glad that I did.

The title is a play on the Morrissey tune "Let the Right One Slip In"
Jeff
Having seen the film before reading the novel, I'm less impressed than I might have been had the experiences been reversed. I was engaged throughout, but compared to Lindqvist's screenplay, the novel felt bloated and overtly prurient (while Tomas Alfredson's film was more atmospheric, nuanced, erotic, morally ambiguous, and mesmerizing). Every episode cut from the novel during the adaptation process was absolutely necessary; and a character central to the novel (Haken) was whittled down to just ...more
Nicole
I discovered this story when I discovered the movie. I enjoyed the film so much I wanted to know more. "Let the Right One In" is in some ways unrelentingly grim. There a lot of horrifying things in it that have absolutely nothing to do with the supernatural, especially if you stop to really thing about them. The horror itself is good too. I've read tons of vampire fiction and find this to be a truly refreshing take on the genre. In terms of the characters, I thought both Oskar and Eli were very ...more
Kasia
It's bumming me out. 50 pages in and I'm giving up. I don't think I can take this much gore any longer. It's disturbing. I need at least one likable character - someone to root for, only then I can take in gore, serial murderers, pedophilia and such. Without somebody to identify with, suffering through one violent description after another is no fun. This was no fun.

And now I'm fighting this urge: I want to crawl in under the table, wrap myself up in a blanket, stuck a thumb into my mouth and r
Jadranka

Švedska, jesen/zima 1981.godine, predgrađe Stokholma, mrak, šuma i prijateljstvo između sasvim običnog dečaka Oskara i već na prvi pogled poprilično neobične devojčice Eli.
Lindkvist je uspeo u onome što je na prvi pogled delovalo kao nemoguće, a to je da roman koji pripada žanru horora učini još mračnijim i zlosutnijim.
"Pusti pravog da uđe" nije samo još jedna u nizu zastrašujućih priča o vampirima, već predstavlja i osvrt na ozbiljne probleme u društvu kao što su: nasilje u školi, pedofilij
RandomAnthony
Let The Right One In is the best vampire book named after a Morrissey lyric I’ve ever read.

No, really, this is a top-notch novel. Set in a cold, northern European winter, the book focuses primarily on the interactions of Oskar, a teenage boy so scared of his tormentors he keeps a “piss ball” in his pants to soak up his urine, and Eli, a vampire appearing to be about the same age as Oskar. This is not a tender “innocent boy meets freak with a heart of gold” story. Lindqvist adds violent police, d
Belinda
Call this one "The Anti-Twilight." They had me at "the Swedish Stephen King." Um, not so much.

Easily the most *interesting* read in a long time. 4 stars instead of 5, or 3, because the story--just the pure story? Meh. In itself, only just compelling enough to keep me reading. But the characters--OH, the characters. I ached for every one of them. For a classic co-dependent like me, looking into the lonely, heartache-ridden lives in this book is pure agony...although most of the characters are hop
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my GIFTS AND GUILTY list.

Regardless of how many books are already queued patiently on my reading list, unexpected gifts and guilt-trips will always see unplanned additions muscling their way in at the front.

This is one creepy as frak vampire story.
Pretty much
Chloe
Oct 09, 2009 Chloe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chloe by: Goodreads Giveaway
You’d think that by now the most recent round of America’s fixation with the undead would have grown as old and withered as a toothless vampire. Some new fad was supposed to come along and sweep us up by now, leaving only the die-hards and true believers as adherents to this bizarre cult. Unfortunately, with the upcoming New Moon movie promising to underwhelm as ever and HBO just finishing up its second season of True Blood, it seems as though the taste-makers have only begun to whet our appetit ...more
Terry
I am not generally a fan of vampires these days. Now don’t get me wrong: the idea is pretty cool. What’s not to like about blood-sucking undead immortals wreaking havoc amongst the cattle that is mankind? Add in some shape-shifting and immortal ennui and things can be pretty interesting (OK, the immortal ennui can get a bit…boring), but the fact of the matter is the trope’s been done to death (pardon the pun), hasn’t it? The vampire has so oversaturated the market these days that I feel like a d ...more
smetchie
I can't stop thinking about the characters. Most of them weren't likable but I ended up caring for them anyway. In the way you care about your family even if they're screwed up and do really bad things. This book is gruesome, horrifying, sweet and tender. how strange.
Paquita Maria Sanchez
I know it's sorta late-ish on a Sunday, and that everyone who reads a lot most likely knows this book exists, and that you probably won't take me seriously in the first place considering I'm reviewing-ish a vampire novel in 2014-ish, but let me just say: this is one of, or certainly one of the best I've experienced, "horror" novels ever, from my limited experience of horror novels. I say "horror" in those quotes because it is less a sleazy vampire love tale (it is, in fact, NOT that except in th ...more
Teresa
Deixa-me Entrar é um romance com vampiros mas, em termos comparativos com outras obras do género, está muito distante do rosado Crepúsculo de Stephenie Meyer, aproximando-se mais da negrura de Bram Stoker. Ou seja, apesar de as personagens principais serem adolescentes, não é uma história romântica e bonita que faça sonhar e desejar ser mordida por um belo e sedutor vampiro. Aqui os vampiros não mordem, mastigam...

Passada na fria Suécia, esta é uma história muito violenta; não pelo vampirismo, m
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
First, HOLY SHIT!!!
Second, WOW!!
Third, o.O!

This was OUTSTANDING!! I had to stay up last night and finish it. I have never heard of the movie so I would most definitely watch it after reading this. If you like getting sucked into books where you lose track of time and you look up and 2 hours has flown by... then this book is for you.
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
3.5

Vampire stories are considered a dime a dozen any more - they've been done and redone to death. Let Me In is different, at least in that the vampire is a child, not with a seductive bite, not even with a specific gift or mission, but a cold creature who adapts as she meets a neighbor boy.

This book's pacing is slow; it's more of a drama piece over a horror one, although it does have eerie moments. There's violence, but most of it isn't through the vampire's hands directly. Gore and blood does
Belle
This was the creepiest book I've ever read in my life. I was expecting it to be moderately creepy. I've seen the American movie adaptation, Let Me In, and it had a couple of spooky moments but overall it didn't really make me jump. I liked the friendship that blossomed between a lonely, isolated boy and the vampire girl that had moved in next door. Aside from, you know, the bleeding from every orifice and the killing and all that, it was actually kind of a sweet story. I thought the book would b ...more
christa
I read an interview with Stephenie Meyer, writer of the "Twilight" series, where she said something about how she had taken liberties with the classic vampire story because she was writing fiction and there are no hard-fast rules about what vampires can or cannot do. So she did things like make their skin glimmer in the sunlight.

This is a laughable about of liberty -- not to mention creativity -- considering what John Ajvide Lindqvist has done with the vampire of his novel "Let The Right One In
Shandra
Initial thoughts (see below for review): This was so totally NOT what I expected. I feel let down. I'll think on it. Review to come.

Buddy read with Annette and Athena starting July 27th (even though these buttheads abandoned me).

Review:

Actual rating: 2 stars. 1 whole star is given for the simple fact that I was interested enough not to DNF.

Most of the time I was simply:

Bored photo: bored tumblr_lus9asRqx91qa2bzyo2_250.gif

It went to the level that I would be reading along, and all of a sudden I'd find myself:

Bored photo: Bored tumblr_lndp00RLfY1qdn559.gif

And:

Bored photo: Buffy - Bored tumblr_m2hshxap1N1qhzswzo1_r1_400_zps7349c008.gif

At times, I was:

Intrigued photo: plotting2.gif

Which led to:

A Rare Occurence: Films that are better than the Book 31 260 Jun 06, 2015 02:19PM
Let The Readalong In: Facts about the Book 5 16 May 14, 2015 06:41PM
What is your favorite vampire book? 32 171 May 13, 2015 12:19AM
Let The Readalong In: I don't know what I'm doing 8 17 May 04, 2015 03:22PM
You'll love this ...: Let The Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist 55 36 Apr 14, 2015 04:35AM
BookTube Reading ...: Let the Right One In - Discussion 72 111 Jul 31, 2014 04:15PM
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • The Red Tree
  • Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • The Cipher
  • Dark Harvest
  • Books of Blood, Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood, #1-3)
  • Uzumaki, Vol. 3
  • The Bloody Red Baron (Anno Dracula, #2)
  • Kärleken (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #1)
  • Lost Souls
  • Incarnate
  • Carrion Comfort
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • Live Girls
John Ajvide Lindqvist (John Erik Ajvide Lindqvist) is a Swedish author who grew up in Blackeberg, the setting for Let the Right One In. Wanting to become something awful and fantastic, he first became a conjurer, and then was a stand-up comedian for twelve years. He has also written for Swedish television.

Let the Right One In was a bestseller in Sweden and was named Best Novel in Translation 2005
More about John Ajvide Lindqvist...
Handling the Undead Harbor Little Star Let the Old Dreams Die Pappersväggar

“Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another.” 113 likes
“Are you OLD?"
"No. I'm only twelve. But I've been that for a long time.”
102 likes