Start by marking “The Loss That Is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father” as Want to Read:

"Beautifully written and informative. Harris' eloquence is exceeded only by the compassion and insight she brings to this perplexing and formative experience."—Vamik D. Volkan, Univ. of Virginia.
Published September 1st 1996 by Plume (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Loss That Is Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loss That Is Forever

Oct 24, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
I was looking through books on death and dying, when I saw this book. I ignored it, but kept feeling drawn to it. The title seemed a bit extreme, yet I kept wanting to pick it up. When I started reading, I realized that one of the people it was about was me.

If you have lost a parent as a child, please read this book. It is not a self-help book - but it leads to healing by acknowledging that the loss of a parent is a major event in the life of a child, changing that child's view of the world and
Feb 18, 2013 Tre rated it it was amazing
This book offers great validation and insight into the "personal mythologies" those of us who have lost a parent, particularly during childhood create. I felt like I was reading a biography someone else wrote about me a number of times. For anyone who feels inclined to explore how the death of their mother and/or father has impacted who they have become as an adult, I highly recommend this book.
Oct 05, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I have spent a good few months savouring this book. For the first time in my life I felt myself being understood in a book (rather than escaping into a book). Like other readers, I felt as if all of my questions about why I behave and feel the way that I do is actually a response to the loss of my father (I was 8 when he died). For me, the loss of my father has been the defining moment in my life, and created a hollowness and barrier between myself and others, as I felt no one else could ever un ...more
Dec 01, 2007 Marie rated it liked it
Obviously not of interest for everyone, but found some good tidbits in here - but otherwise it took the formulaic approach of sharing vignettes from survivors lives to illustrate a range of reactions and implications, but with little insight. Covers the waterfront and may be helpful for those actually trying to help others who have lost a parent(s) more than perhaps those who have.
Susan Brougher
May 06, 2016 Susan Brougher rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago while searching for answers and hoping to understand how the loss of my mother formed who I am. There are not many books that help in a meaningful way when someone goes through losing a parent. The fact that I could relate to the stories gave me a needed comfort. It has been many years since my mother died of cancer when I was fourteen. This is a difficult subject but one that begs for more books written by those who have walked life's path without a parent to guide th ...more
Mar 31, 2011 Elsje rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Ik lees een aantal boeken over het verlies van een ouder op jonge leeftijd. Eerst Hope Edelman, en nu Maxine Harris. De aanpak van beiden is ongeveer gelijk: via een groot aantal interviews proberen ze inzicht te krijgen in wat het verlies van een van of beide ouders doet met een kind. En beiden combineren algemene inzichten, gelardeerd met quotes en wat langer uitgewerkte levensverhalen van enkele geïnterviewden.

Het boek van Harris heeft een wat bredere focus. Want daar waar Edelman kiest voor
Dec 29, 2014 Harry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychotherapy
This book is a life-saver. If you lost a parent before the age of 18, you owe it to yourself to read this book. Harris's book was incredibly validating, helping me to understand feelings and grief I had been repressing for 40 (!) years. Thank you, universe, for putting this book in my hands.
Dec 08, 2009 SueAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
Maxine Harris' book The Loss That is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father. This is another psychology book that is more than a "self help" book. Through case studies the author discusses bereavement and how to build relationships, and owning your own destiny. Keep lots of tissue on hand.
May 22, 2014 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important book for anyone who loses a parent as a child. I found it helpful to understand why I felt the way I did in my loss.
Dec 07, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
This book truly is a must read for anyone that has lost a parent at an early age. It helped me figure out a lot about myself and the impact losing my dad at age 5 had on me.
Jan 05, 2009 Jo rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for anyone who has lost a parent before the age of 18 or is wanting to understand a child or adult who is coming to terms with an early loss.
Aug 02, 2009 Madeleine rated it liked it
Een verlies voor altijd.
Kami Boyle
Kami Boyle marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
KM Tee
KM Tee marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Becky Walsh
Becky Walsh marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Michele marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Ryan is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2016
Christie marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Linda Bachelder
Linda Bachelder marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Marguerite McCollom
Marguerite McCollom marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Rena Jones
Rena Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Paakhi Srivastava
Paakhi Srivastava marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Tim is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Twyla marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Janet marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Julie Reinhart
Julie Reinhart rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Jared rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2016
Erma Aker
Erma Aker rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Going Up the River: Travels in a Prison Nation
  • On Flirtation
  • The Call of Service
  • The Odds: One Season, Three Gamblers And The Death Of Their Las Vegas
  • Take My Advice: Secret Letters to the Next Generation from People Who Know a Thing or Two
  • My 'Dam Life: Three Years in Holland
  • Life Inside the "Thin" Cage: A Personal Look into the Hidden World of the Chronic Dieter
  • Dream City: Race, Power, and the Decline of Washington, D.C.
  • Dying Well
  • Every Heart Restored: A Wife's Guide to Healing in the Wake of a Husband's Sexual Sin
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • Healing the Masculine Soul: God's Restoration of Men to Real Manhood
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Windows to Our Children
  • How Can I Get Through to You?: Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women
  • The Addictive Brain
  • Freedom from Toxic Relationships: Moving On from the Family, Work, and Relationship Issues That Bring You Down