Start by marking “The Loss That Is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Beautifully written and informative. Harris' eloquence is exceeded only by the compassion and insight she brings to this perplexing and formative experience."—Vamik D. Volkan, Univ. of Virginia.
Published September 1st 1996 by Plume (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Loss That Is Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loss That Is Forever

I was looking through books on death and dying, when I saw this book. I ignored it, but kept feeling drawn to it. The title seemed a bit extreme, yet I kept wanting to pick it up. When I started reading, I realized that one of the people it was about was me.

If you have lost a parent as a child, please read this book. It is not a self-help book - but it leads to healing by acknowledging that the loss of a parent is a major event in the life of a child, changing that child's view of the world and
Feb 18, 2013 Tre rated it 5 of 5 stars
This book offers great validation and insight into the "personal mythologies" those of us who have lost a parent, particularly during childhood create. I felt like I was reading a biography someone else wrote about me a number of times. For anyone who feels inclined to explore how the death of their mother and/or father has impacted who they have become as an adult, I highly recommend this book.
I have spent a good few months savouring this book. For the first time in my life I felt myself being understood in a book (rather than escaping into a book). Like other readers, I felt as if all of my questions about why I behave and feel the way that I do is actually a response to the loss of my father (I was 8 when he died). For me, the loss of my father has been the defining moment in my life, and created a hollowness and barrier between myself and others, as I felt no one else could ever un ...more
Obviously not of interest for everyone, but found some good tidbits in here - but otherwise it took the formulaic approach of sharing vignettes from survivors lives to illustrate a range of reactions and implications, but with little insight. Covers the waterfront and may be helpful for those actually trying to help others who have lost a parent(s) more than perhaps those who have.
Ik lees een aantal boeken over het verlies van een ouder op jonge leeftijd. Eerst Hope Edelman, en nu Maxine Harris. De aanpak van beiden is ongeveer gelijk: via een groot aantal interviews proberen ze inzicht te krijgen in wat het verlies van een van of beide ouders doet met een kind. En beiden combineren algemene inzichten, gelardeerd met quotes en wat langer uitgewerkte levensverhalen van enkele geïnterviewden.

Het boek van Harris heeft een wat bredere focus. Want daar waar Edelman kiest voor
This book is a life-saver. If you lost a parent before the age of 18, you owe it to yourself to read this book. Harris's book was incredibly validating, helping me to understand feelings and grief I had been repressing for 40 (!) years. Thank you, universe, for putting this book in my hands.
Maxine Harris' book The Loss That is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father. This is another psychology book that is more than a "self help" book. Through case studies the author discusses bereavement and how to build relationships, and owning your own destiny. Keep lots of tissue on hand.
Important book for anyone who loses a parent as a child. I found it helpful to understand why I felt the way I did in my loss.
This book truly is a must read for anyone that has lost a parent at an early age. It helped me figure out a lot about myself and the impact losing my dad at age 5 had on me.
This is a wonderful book for anyone who has lost a parent before the age of 18 or is wanting to understand a child or adult who is coming to terms with an early loss.
Een verlies voor altijd.
Olivia Lennon
Olivia Lennon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Petersen marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Erin Brothers
Erin Brothers marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Vicki Kautz
Vicki Kautz marked it as to-read
Cheryl Tuohy
Cheryl Tuohy marked it as to-read
Linda Stucky
Linda Stucky marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Katy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Kathy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Joyce marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Sharron marked it as to-read
Kim White
Kim White marked it as to-read
Suzanne Williams
Suzanne Williams marked it as to-read
Patrice Torres
Patrice Torres marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015