Start by marking “Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Teaching the Shorter Catechism has never been easier. This book of daily readings . . . aids memorization by devoting six days per question. explains the catechism in simple language. Provides six different meditations on the main points of each question. Includes key Scripture readings. Takes just a few minutes each day, allowing time for discussion and review. Is useful ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Training Hearts, Teaching Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training Hearts, Teaching Minds

Jeremy
Kara and I started reading this together more than two years ago, when Kate almost 1. She turns 3 tomorrow.

Overall, it's a useful idea. I like the concept of reviewing one catechism question and answer a week, and I wanted to give it more than 3 stars. Unfortunately, much of the text sounds awkward when read aloud.

Question 102 on the second petition/request in the Lord's prayer focused on the (purely?) spiritual nature of God's kingdom (within people's hearts and in churchy stuff). Makes sense t
Beth Saathoff
Aug 24, 2015 Beth Saathoff rated it really liked it
This book provides the guidance needed for consistent family devotions. The Shorter Catechism questions are broken down into daily, bite-size segments that are small enough to keep the attention of younger children, but meaty enough to engage older children and adults. The only thing that I would change is the updating of the language; we prefer the original.

If you're looking for a devotional resource to use with your whole family, Starr Meade has written an excellent book that will keep your fa
Silvia  Tjendrawasih
Jun 26, 2008 Silvia Tjendrawasih rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Erika, Nora
Shelves:
This book has a very good approach of sharing catechism. It is arranged per topic per week. Thus, you will find yourself have a better and thorough understanding on each topic of the catechism. I would recommend this book to all families..

It is best to start reading the book in groups among family members or friends. Read and grow and share together. It's excellent.

I have no idea which are the available spots for you to get this book. But in Medan,ID, you can definitely get the copy of it in my
Jeff McCormack
Aug 17, 2010 Jeff McCormack rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, doctrine
The devotional side of this book is very good and useful. My only complaint is that I had always taught my children from the original Shorter Catechism, and this books lessons use and quote from a more modern translation which was totally confusing when we tried to use it because they had memorized the original. I found that to use it, I had to have this book open, and the regular catechism, and that was tiresome to have to always do.
Rob Block
May 23, 2008 Rob Block rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Currently going through this book with my wife in preparation for our son. This book is very family friendly as it goes through the basics of the reformed faith by asking questions and giving answers. Each question is focused on for six days through short devotionals with scripture proofs which allows for good conversation and discussion. Still going through, but as of now, I am thoroughly impressed.
Kara Larson
Feb 15, 2014 Kara Larson rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, christian
Have been reading this nightly with Jeremy since right before Kate turned 1, and we finished it the night before she turns 3. I really liked the idea of a catechism a week with 6 daily devotionals--each with a supporting scripture passage. It did feel forced at times. Maybe we will go through it with Kate at sometime in the firitre?
Brandy
Nov 08, 2012 Brandy rated it liked it
This is well written and we enjoyed as much as we were able to read until it became too difficult for a child of six or eight. I think we will pick it back up when our children are a little older.
Becky
Apr 30, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
Andy and I read this at breakfast each morning. It's a good explication of the Shorter Catechism and a good way to do a short devotional before everyone heads out the door.
Brian Tanner Tanner
Jan 10, 2011 Brian Tanner Tanner rated it it was amazing
I use this with some of our High School students I interject the questions and do a study!
Justin
Apr 01, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it
Great for family devotions working through Westminster Shorter Catechism.
Sue
Aug 10, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Excellent in explaining the Shorter Catechism to children.
Elise
May 14, 2012 Elise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, kids
Excellent devotional for reformed families.
Becky Pliego
May 28, 2013 Captain America marked it as to-read
Shelves: family
3.2 - Family/Devotion
Vanosteph
Vanosteph rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Russell Hamilton
Russell Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Tyler Gordon
Tyler Gordon marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Krysti Conway
Krysti Conway is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Lacey
Lacey is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Jan 17, 2016
Shannon Rowell
Shannon Rowell rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Cody Anderson
Cody Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Standing on the Promises
  • Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Successful Christian Parenting
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Boyhood and Beyond
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • The Glory of Christ
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History
  • The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
Starr Meade served as director of children’s ministries for ten years at her local church and taught Latin and Bible for eight years in a Christian school. She is a graduate of Arizona College of the Bible and has authored a number of books, including Training Hearts, Teaching Minds. Starr and her husband live in Arizona where she currently teaches home school students and is mother to three grown ...more
More about Starr Meade...