Start by marking “Robots en Imperium (Robot, #4)” as Want to Read:
Robots en Imperium (Robot, #4)

Robots en Imperium (Robot #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  19,088 Ratings  ·  413 Reviews
Avonturen en intriges in een verre toekomst tussen aardse kolonisten en langlevende ruimtemensen; twee robots spelen de hoofdrol.
Published 1985 by Meulenhoff

Ahmad Sharabiani
Robots and Empire (Robot #4), Isaac Asimov
عنوان: امپراطوری روباتها (کتاب 4 از سری روبات)؛ نویسنده: آیزاک آسیموف؛ مترجم: کامبیز شمس؛ تهران، شقایق، 1371؛ در 523 ص؛ چاپ دوم: با عنوان: امپراتوری روباتها، 1373؛ در 523 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای غلمی تخیلی از نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 20 م
سری روبات: کتاب 1: غارهای پولادی؛ کتاب 2: خورشید عریان؛ کتاب 3: روباتهای سپیده دم؛ کتاب 4: امپراتوری روباتها؛
این چهار کتاب را بارها و بارها خوانده و لذت برده ام؛ داستانی از سه جامعه ی زمین، اورورا و سولاریا است. زمینیهای ض
Stephen
4.0 stars. While listed as the last of the Robot series, this is probably better discribed as the bridge novel between the Robot novels and the Foundation series. In it we see the beginnings of how the Galactic Empire got started and why there are no Robots in the distant future of the Foundation novels (except of course for R. Daneel Olivaw) who becomes the only central character to appear in both series.

In addition to being a pivotal novel in the Robot/Foundation series, it is also top space o
Hassan Chaudhri
Feb 02, 2008 Hassan Chaudhri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
It should be noted that I am a long-standing Asimov fan, so my opinion is perhaps not entirely objective. Having said that, Robots and Empire stands out to me as one of his top works. It serves to bridge his Empire/Foundation and Robots series; this is a dangerous venture, because there is always the risk of fouling one or both stories in the process. Asimov handles it admirably though, in a way that gives a satisfactory conclusion to the Elijah Baley story, and sets the scene for the way into t ...more
Steven Peterson
Sep 08, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In some ways, this novel, which clearly and explicitly links three of Isaac Asimov's series--Robot, Foundation, and Empire--is the development of a new law of robotics. Of course, all fans of Asimov know the three laws:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm;
2. A robot must obey orders given it by humans except where such orders would violate the First Law;
3. A robot must protect its existence unless such behavior would violate the fir
Josh
Jan 15, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Like every other Asimov book, a snappy, fantastic read full of crisp dialogue and an absorbing plot with elements of sci-fi and mystery. I will never get over his ability to craft books without a single dull moment despite the fact that 99% of the action is just people talking. They're either hashing out a logical argument or painstakingly explaining one of the few actual bits of action, and I will never get tired of it.

If you're new to Asimov, thank you for reading this review, but let me stop
VeRMiNaaRD
Jan 01, 2015 VeRMiNaaRD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bir önceki kitapla başlayan Vakıf serisine olan köprünün inşaatı bununla son buldu. Şuan hala kitabın sonunun etkisindeyim. Bu Asimov nasıl bir yazardır da yıllar sonra bile okunduğunda insanı böyle derinden etkileyebiliyor anlamış değilim. Şuan altını çize çize söylüyorum Vakıf serisini direk okumayın. Araya Robot serisini muhakkak ekleyin. Tam okuma sırasını yazımın sonuna ekleyeceğim buna uyun muhakkak.

Kitap için birşeyi demeden de edemeyeceğim. Ulan Gladia kaşarlığın kitabını yazdın be :) G
Simona Bartolotta
"Lentamente, esitando, Daneel tese la mano, e Giskard la fissò incerto. Poi anche lui tese la mano. Le punte delle dita si sfiorarono, poi i due robot si strinsero la mano... sembrava quasi che non solo si definissero amici, ma lo fossero davvero."
A volte, mi detesto. Sono così sentimentale. Cioè, la maggior parte della gente mi conosce come una persona riservata, poco incline a indugiare su smancerie e melensaggini, a lasciarsi andare a confidenze, o simili. Una tutta d'un pezzo, insomma. Ma co
Tomislav
Oct 29, 2014 Tomislav rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Isaac Asimov wrote his original Robot, Empire, and Foundation novels as separate series in the 1950s, and then in the 1980s wrote a number of novels that bridge them together into a continuous future history. The Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire are two that form the bridge between his Robot mysteries, and his Empire adventures. Here is the complete chronology:

1 The End of Eternity (stand-alone) 1955
2 I, Robot (short stories) 1950
3 The Caves of Steel (Robot) 1954
4 The Naked Sun (Robot) 1957
Norm Davis
Feb 16, 2012 Norm Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
Having grown up in the cold war era, ducking under desks in preparation for nuclear destruction from the USSR, I developed a bit of antipathy towards Russians so even though I was an ardent science fiction fan I refused to read Isaac Asimov on the principle that he was Russian even though all my science fiction loving friends were crazy in love with Asimov fiction. One day, reluctantly, I picked up Foundation. One third of the way through the novel I was becoming extremely upset because I could ...more
Mars
Jan 30, 2013 Mars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all the Foundation-and-related books, this one is definitely in line for being declared the weakest.

We find out how things happened, but what would have been brilliant as 2-3 pages of exposition was stretched out to hundreds of pages of endless flashbacks, somewhat dull dialogue, and at least 70 repetitions of the words "nuclear intensifier".

Especially annoying highlights:
Vasilia made Giskard into what he is. All fine and good, but one of the characters even mentions that this is extremel
Leonardo
Apr 19, 2014 Leonardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Really enjoyed this one. Although Bailey is not present, Gladia, Daneel and Giskard prove to be excellent protagonists. This novel can clearly be seen as a bridge to his other novels. I'm reading Asimov in a semi chronological order and this novel clearly propels the next step in the history of his universe, showing what triggers the formation of the galactic empire.

One peculiar thing I found was how the focus of the novel changed from Gladia to the robots. It seems to me to be premeditated, (vi
Ed Correa
Mar 25, 2015 Ed Correa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es increíble ser testigo de la evolución de los personajes a través de la narrativa tan fluida de Asimov, no se sienten forzados los cambios de cada uno de ellos y se comparte su aceptación de sus nuevos estatus. Espectacular cierre de la saga de los robots y al mismo tiempo un excelente puente para lo que sigue. Voy a extrañar a cierto robot...
Maxi Bolongaita
Oct 28, 2015 Maxi Bolongaita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I SHIT MYSELF. This book was SO good and the best part was that I read the 1980s edition paperback and I had the best time ever. THE BEST TIME EVER. ARRRGGH.
Simin Yadegar
Feb 01, 2017 Simin Yadegar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
او احساس میکرد که افزایش تشعشعات رادیو اکتیویته باعث ایجاد هرج و مرج در زمین ومهاجرین میگردد و به این طریق فضاییان میتوانند کهکشان را تصاحب کنند . کنار زدن زمین به عنوان یک کره پر جمعیت باعث از بین رفتن معنویات میشود و به مهاجرین کمک میکند . آنها با یک قدم به کهکشان وارد می شوند و یک امپراتوری کهکشانی برپا میکنند . امپراتوری رباتها .......................................................................( از متن کتاب )
Joan
This is the book that ultimately ties together most of Dr. Asimov's fictional stories in one tremendous overarching scenario. As such, the emphasis is on world creating. Or perhaps world combining might be a better phrase. As in many Asimov stories, the official story itself is of less importance than his theme. In this one, the story is of course, still good but while the humans go about their business that makes up the story, the real story is that told through the robots Giskard and Daneel as ...more
Scott Rhee
Jul 24, 2012 Scott Rhee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The fourth and final book in Isaac Asimov's beloved robot series, "Robots and Empire" takes place many years after the death of Elijah Bailey, who has become somewhat of a galactic folk hero for his efforts in space exploration and colonization of planets far beyond the Terran solar system. His robot friend, Daneel Olivaw, lives on and strives to carry on the good work started by his human friend. With the help of a telepathic robot named Giskard, Olivaw struggles with the turbulent political la ...more
Carlos Lavín
Oct 30, 2013 Carlos Lavín rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, omgspace, 2016
More like a 3,5. Was kind of tedious at times, but still interesting to see the way Asimov tried to tie together what happened at the end of Robots of Dawn with the birth of psychohistory, Earth going to shit, the galactic expansion and how the Second Foundation got their powers. Also really enjoyed the continuing remarks about the danger of Spacer stagnation (and stagnation in general). Living TOO comfortable can't be good for anyone.

The end felt way too rushed. Like before I knew it, the book
Alina
Jun 22, 2015 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The main focus (and also the most interesting part) is on the robots Daneel and Giskard and their debates on The Three Laws and the HUMANITY concept, giving them new and (un?)expected depth.

A beautiful ending to the Robots series and a bridge to the following works in the Foundation Universe.
Leslie
Jan 14, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
While I did eventually get absorbed, this last book of Asimov's Robot series didn't live up to my expectations based on the first 3 books. Perhaps it was the lack of Elijah Baley, but the novel felt more like Asimov's attempt to bridge the gap between the previous books in the Robot series and the Foundation series and less of an individual plot.
David
Not my favorite. Certainly not the best of the Robot series. Large amounts of this could be excised and nothing would be lost. But I suppose we had to bridge the gap between the Robot books and the Empire books somehow.
Moni2506
Leider nicht ganz so toll, wie die anderen Teile. Elijah Baley fehlt eben doch.
David Sarkies
Mar 25, 2014 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asimov fans
Recommended to David by: My Dad (I think)
Shelves: sci-fi
I won't necessarily say that this is the last of the Foundation/Galactic Empire/Robot story arc that I needed to read to complete the whole series because there is still Forward to the Foundation (the last novel I believe that Asimov wrote before he died) as well as a number of robot short stories that I may still need to get my hands on (including Bicentennial Man, the novella that the Robin Williams movie was based upon). I actually do intend on reading them in order (though the short stories ...more
Konstantina
Jun 10, 2013 Konstantina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kostas
Apr 18, 2013 Kostas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Towards the end of his career, Asimov wanted to connect his stories and novels into a big whole. The main reason for writing this book was to connect the Robot series with the Empire and Foundation series. What I found very interesting is how he also managed to inject references from some of his earlier short robot stories, a feat that makes his universe even richer and complete, although it was not designed as such from the start :)

Robots & Empire concludes the Robot series and, as mentione
Simon
Apr 16, 2009 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The end of the line for Asimov's robot stories. After this book, in Asimov's future Universe, robots no longer play a part (overtly at least) in Humanity's progress. They must go on to establish the great galactic empire without them. We know that this is the case because we've read the galactic empire novels and the Foundation series and there are no robots. But how does Humanity's reliance on robots come to and end?

Set some two hundred years after Elijah Baley's demise and at a pivotal time in
Tod Dimmick
Oct 02, 2014 Tod Dimmick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am on a quest to read Asimov’s Robot and Foundation books in order. The chronology is the author’s, using events that start (leaving aside the beginning of Pebble in the Sky) many thousands of years in the future and build roughly sequentially. Asimov wrote these books wildly out of this order, which makes the experience all the more fun. He wrote Robots and Empire, for example, thirty years after The Currents Of Space, a book that in the author's chronology follows Robots and Empire by many c ...more
Andreas
Apr 23, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On the “Spacer” planet of Aurora, the woman Gladia’s life is a long succession of days filled with ennnui. Despite being descended from the first humans to settle other planets, her society is stagnating. Spacers live long, empty lives. Robots run all menial work and intricate rules of conduct control much of life. Into this drops D.G. Baley, descendant of Elijah Baley of The Caves of Steel and The Robots of Dawn (when Gladia met Elijah). Baley is a “Settler”, part of a new wave of colonizers fr ...more
Antonio
Aug 01, 2014 Antonio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Después del final que encontramos en 'Los robots del amanecer', tocaba enfrentarse a esta novela que supone el final de la 'Serie de los robots' de Asimov. Tras leer alguna sinopsis, lo que más sorprende y en parte echa para atrás es la ausencia de Elijah Baley, ya que la acción se traslada a años después de la muerte de este.

Como digo, esta ausencia suponía para mi una pequeña barrera, pero con perspectiva es todo un acierto de Asimov dar ese salto temporal para continuar narrándonos el devenir
Sesana
Nov 06, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I understand that this book bridges the gap between the last of Asimov's robot books (The Robots of Dawn) and Empire books (The Stars, Like Dust), which will later bridge into the Foundation books. Since I'd never read any of them before, I'm approaching this as one big series, and trying to read them in internal chronological order.

If nothing else, you really need to read the three previous robot books (The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and The Robots of Dawn) first. I really enjoyed all thre
John Paez
Jan 01, 2015 John Paez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robot and Empire is another entertaining story from the prolific writer Isaac Asimov. Set many decades after Robots of Dawn, when the Earth detective Elijah Bailey has long ago passed, Robots and Empire tells the story of Dr. Kelden Amadiro's nefarious attempt at destroying Earth and the Settlers. The Auroran Gladia, along with the robots Daneel and Giskard, must go to great lengths to protect Earth and countless lives.
What I really enjoyed about this book was the interaction between the robots
Isaac Asimov Novels: Robots and Empire 1 11 Aug 03, 2014 03:41AM
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • The Sands of Mars
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • N-Space
  • Farmer in the Sky
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • The Lazarus Effect (The Pandora Sequence, #2)
  • The Silent War (The Grand Tour, #11; The Asteroid Wars, #3)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

Robot (4 books)
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot #2)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot #3)

“Human beings sometimes find a kind of pleasure in nursing painful emotions, in blaming themselves without reason or even against reason.” 49 likes
“Zeroth Law...” 4 likes