Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit's Power

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Western society is in crisis, the result of our culture's embrace of naturalism and postmodernism. At the same time, the biblical worldview has been pushed to the margins. Christians have been strongly influenced by these trends, with the result that the personal lives of Christians often reflect the surrounding culture more than the way of Christ, and the church's transfo

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published September 10th 2009 by Zondervan (first published May 5th 2007)

Bryan Neuschwander
June 16, 2011

Moreland begins his book by assessing the crisis of our age, analyzing the two primary competing worldviews—naturalism and postmodernism before suggesting a third alternative, the theistic worldview which he unpacks as the “Kingdom Triangle” in the second part of the book.

I appreciated Moreland’s previous work, Love Your God with All Your Mind, but I found the discussion of crisis of our age in the Kingdom Triangle lacking full dimension. I essentially agree that naturalism and post...more
Sonny
J.P. Moreland is a highly esteemed, much-published, and gifted evangelical philosopher and apologist. His book, Kingdom Triangle, is a unique book that is a combination of Christian philosophy, apologetics, and spiritual disciplines. The book covers a lot of ground in just 200 pages. The book is divided into two sections. The first assesses the crisis of our age. The second section proposes a solution for the church to meet the crisis: intellectual engagement, spiritual formation, and supernatur...more
Brandon
Didn't enjoy this one too much. Sort of a hodge-podge of sensational inciting comments and deeper philosophical/formational subjects. I couldn't figure out who his audience was: to shallow to be deep and to complex to be introductory. I'm not sure who'd I'd ever recommend this to.

---

Notes:

See "The Making of the Modern University" by Julie Reuben

"The abandonment of Christian monotheism from the cognitive domain meant that there was no longer a basis for a unified curriculum. Without a single, r...more
Jhughes1
“Kingdom Triangle,” J. P. Moreland’s latest book, has received high praise. It was awarded the 2008 Christianity Today Book Award in the category of Spirituality. It has been reviewed favorably elsewhere, and the jacket cover includes endorsements by Chuck Colson, Lee Strobel, and Ravi Zacharias. Kingdom Triangle represents something of a “magnum opus” for this distinguished Christian philosopher and defender of the faith. In responding to the news that his book received the award from Christian...more
Noel Burke
This will be my 100th book read. Back in 2007 I read a book by JP Moreland that changed my whole outlook on Christian living. His argument for knowing what you believe and why was so persuasive and convicting that I have never been able to shack it since. This book's premise is similar in subject but considers a few more aspects of Christian living and community in the big "C" Church. There is also an interesting section that discusses miraculous gifts if you have never thought about those befor...more
Jeffrey Backlin
If I was forced to live on a desert island for the rest of my life and I could only pick ten books to bring with me, this would be one of them. The only thing I would add to the Kingdom Triangle would be a section on the action (The Kingdom of God).
Garland Vance
Moreland's book was excellent. It is a must-read for students who are preparing for college, as it helps them understand the worldviews they will encounter in the university while simultaneously calling them to live a bold life.

It is also helpful for those who are past the college years but who want to live a life that counts for something. Moreland engages both the philosophical and the practical--balancing both very well.

This book will not only challenge what you think about faith but also ch...more
Bud Hewlett
J. P. Moreland is one of my favorite authors, but this book only gets three stars for a couple of reasons. The material in the first several chapters was largely a restatement of things covered in his other books already listed on my Goodreads account. The material in the last chapter was interesting and I must say it caused me a certain amount of cognitive dissonance, but I'm still not sold on the Vineyard movement. I need to check it out further, but my initial reaction is somewhat skeptical.
John
I wanted to read this book for several months and a friend let me borrow his copy. Unfortunately, I was let down. I have great respect for J. P. Moreland and was surprised by some of his disclosure. I think the chapter, Renovation of the Soul, was difficult for me to embrace. I didn't want to finish the book, but pushed through to the end.
Eric Walter

A compelling introduction to three areas contemporary western Christianity needs to address. Heavily philosophical at points, inspiringly helpful at others, and overall a challenging thesis to consider. I am personally excited by the teachings of Moreland, Willard, and the like- and pray for more people to take this book for a whirl.
Jeremiah
I want to live out my life every day growing in the areas discussed in this book. Ditch Rick Warren, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, T.D. Jakes or whoever the pop Christian author is and steep yourself in some real life transforming teaching; here is one to not pass up.
Chris Wagner
I learned about the different world-views we have in this culture and how people hunger for a greater purpose and are settling for less. We Christians need to be more effective by recovering the mind, renovating the soul and restore the Spirit's power.
John
Jun 02, 2010 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My reading in this book has been so sporadic and inconsistent that it would be better for me to restart it - which I may or may not have time to do this summer. So, for now, I'm moving it to my "To Read" shelf.
Shawna
A very comprehensive explanation of current culture, how it affects our thinking as Christians, followed by the truth of Christianity and ways to grow in the Spirits power.
Adrianna
Adrianna is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Savannahanne
Savannahanne is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Moriah Miller
Moriah Miller is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Milo Fortin
Milo Fortin marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
J.P. Moreland is the Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology, Biola University in La Mirada, California. He has four earned degrees: a B.S. in chemistry from the University of Missouri, a Th.M. in theology from Dallas Theological Seminary, an M. A. in philosophy from the University of California-Riverside, and a Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Southern Califor...more
More about J.P. Moreland...
Love Your God with All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity  Lost Virtue of Happiness: Discovering the Disciplines of the Good Life Does God Exist?