Start by marking “A New Dawn (The Guardians Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
A New Dawn (The Guardians Chronicles #1)

A New Dawn (The Guardian's Chronicles #1)

WE ARE NOT ALONE.

Evil forces are hell bent on bringing mankind to its knees and Sahara Driver, a young girl from a small village, becomes entangled in the world of the Guardians. While danger lurks in every shadow, Sahara flees her home to Paris where she must change her identity and then go into hiding to learn to use her new-found powers to prepare her for what is to co
Published June 19th 2010

To ask other readers questions about A New Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Dawn

Barb Lie
Apr 28, 2012 Barb Lie rated it liked it
A New Dawn by Ann Barlow is the first book in her Guardian Chronicles series. It is a story of an epic event that threatens the world as we know it. It is a story of good vs evil.

Sahara is the heroine in this story. Since she was a child, Sahara has seen much death to those close to her. She feels jinxed, but all this changes when she begins to feel something change within herself. She is linked to Romero, a Guardian, who is a protector and not human, but he is good. It is Romero, who has been
Marie Fuentes
Dec 05, 2012 Marie Fuentes rated it it was amazing
"A New Dawn" has one of the most interesting concepts that I have ever read. I feel that it deserves a 5-star rating. With all the characters and how they are related to each other, the way that all the events have significance, and the twists and turns that keep you turning the pages - will lead you to the best climax ever. All of the questions you have in mind will be answered. I know most of the people who read as much as I do will understand how frustrating it is to read a book and still fin ...more
The Library Mouse's Words on a Page
With an interesting and rickety start, Ann H. Barlow moved from one character to another's point of view at a rather rapid pace, something that initially disorientated me. However once I became more familiar with the characters, I quickly overcame my confusion.

Having read the synopsis, A New Dawn was not what I had expected. I had imagined to encounter a paranormal romance directed at a teen/ YA audience. In actual fact A New Dawn covered very important topics more pertinent to an older YA and a
Nil Rosales
Dec 21, 2012 Nil Rosales rated it it was amazing
I will be giving this book, A New Dawn by Ann H Barlow a 5-star rating because it has the most unique concept. Imagine, a young woman is the protagonist - the star of the story. I mean, we are used to reading books or watching movies with a man as the main character. But this one is different! At first, I'm not really into finishing the book because of the main character which is - female, but as I go through the pages, I can't put it down anymore.

The story tells about the reality of of life. I
Annis Moss
Jun 08, 2012 Annis Moss rated it it was amazing
This book should have been called Sahara Rising. she really lived for me.

I really loved how she started off as an ordinary girl, and not just that she had lots of problems, more than her fair share. But she took control and that's what it's all about. It was a bit violent, but I think that the author was trying to create a situation where someone would up sticks and leave everything they knew. And few of us would do that unless we were really scared.

There were lots of twists and turns and littl
Anthony Rodriguez
Jul 19, 2012 Anthony Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
This Book was amazing. The main female charcter. (cant spell it) was my favorite character. This book had so much potenial.
I am not one who does spoilers so dont worry.
I was obbsesed with this story. I would bring the computer in my room late at night to read it.
This was EPIC!!! AWESOME!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Charlotte
Jul 19, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it
The things I enjoyed most about this were the many different characters. They all brought something extra to the story. It is a really well written book, and although I usually read ones with more dialogue, I think it worked to have less in this book. From the beginning, it was pretty intense, but enjoyable, and a really well thought out idea :)
Rebecca Lovatt
Sep 08, 2011 Rebecca Lovatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A New Dawn is a fantastic read; with captivating narrative, great descriptions, and characters you come to think of as read. The story is face-paced, and gripping; with hardly any dull moments. Ann Barlow has proven herself to be a fantastic author, and I'm looking forward to the second book of the Guardian Chronicles; as well as all her future writings.
D.
Jul 19, 2012 D. rated it liked it
After reading both of Barlow's book together. Indeed at first the book starts out, and confusion set. However, after fully reading it and letting the story grip me, I really did enjoy it. Loving the story line and the originality. Actually this is a very good Epic story. A little complex in the beginning. But over all a great book! You should definitely check it out!!
Sisu
Jul 09, 2012 Sisu rated it it was amazing
A bit confusing and bounced between characters a lot. Left me with a lot of questions at the end that I'm sure will be clarified with the next book. Once I got used to the style of writing, I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the next book.
Paddy O'callaghan
Dec 22, 2012 Paddy O'callaghan rated it it was amazing

What a brilliant book; The protagonist, Sahara, is just a normal woman with lots problems, and the author deftly guides us through the story of how she regains control of her life, and solves them.
Rita West
Nov 06, 2011 Rita West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita West I want to be Sahara Driver! Not only is she gorgeous but she gets to kick some serious ass. Although I felt it was obvious that Nigel would soon be history I still loved it when she got her own back on him. My fave part was when she was building up her powers, it was very gripping.
Nor'dzin Pamo
Sep 16, 2011 Nor'dzin Pamo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It will be a good read when it is finished.
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
I really hate this, I hate giving bad reviews. I wish I could just give everyone 5 stars but that wouldnt be very honest, now would it? Ever once and again you get a book for review that you just dont like all that much. This was one of those books. I really thought I would like it. The synopsis sounded promising so Of course I wanted to give it a chance. But it ended up being a 2 or 2.5 at the very most. I am going to tell you why.

The idea of this book is a good one, I really believe in that. B
Jasmin
Jul 21, 2012 Jasmin rated it liked it
The main character in this book is Sahara, who has been in several accidents and always survived. Other people, including her parents and her brother have died. She believes it is bad luck sitting in a car or train with her. She is in a relationship with Nigel, who turns out to be abusive. Sahara leaves him and hides out in another town. After a few weeks he finds her and threatens to hurt her again. Sahara get's really angry and all of a sudden she has abilities she never new existed. From that ...more
Denise Connolly Connolly
Feb 10, 2016 Denise Connolly Connolly rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, quite different and more adult read. It tells the story of 2 Others, Evil v's Good, who are battling against each other. Earth's future hangs in the balance. The story revolves around unlucky Sahara who is a battered girlfriend whose life suddenly changes when she starts hearing voices and develops super powers. She goes on a quest to rescue the Good Other from imprisonment by the Evil Other. The spelling and grammar is a little hit and miss but doesn't spoil the story. ...more
Sara Shrieves
Jul 21, 2012 Sara Shrieves rated it really liked it
I was given this book for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start by saying I actually wanted to give this book 3.5 stars, but I wasn't able to do it. The writing in this book was very good. It flowed well and I knew what was going on throughout the story.

However, there were points for me where it dragged a little and went sort of slow. Mainly just parts where there was a lot of description that didn't seem like it needed to be there or just parts of the story in general
Benjamin
Nov 03, 2011 Benjamin rated it it was ok
I found this book difficult for me to read, for many reasons, among them being that I dont know if I had a different our earlier edition, for this book was sitting on my shelf for some time, but it seemed like it lacked editing. I am not the best of writers and cannot claim to do a better job at writing a book but I read a lot of books and this one to me kept giving me a headache and making me re-read parts because I had to try and figure out what was actually trying to be said. This led to me n ...more
Jul 19, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed A New Dawn, the first book in the Guardian Chronicles. It was fast paced, full of twists, turns, and bit of mystery.

The narration switched between several characters. The main character Sahara really stood out for me. She went through so much in the first book. Reading about the domestic abuse she suffered really angered me! I'm glad he got what was coming!

Barak totally gave me the chills. I felt the evil pouring off him. Brrrr. Definitely one of the most evil villians I've re
Sylvia
I really couldn't get into this book it was extremely confusing and I have to say I really pushed through trying to see when the story would begin and I'm sorry but if a story doesn't grab me within at least the first few chapters I know it's going to be very hard for me to really enjoy it...it's a shame really because I got this off the author and I never give up on a book so I am shelving it and hopefully I will be able to get back to reading it...I possibly might not be in the mood for it. Th ...more
Brandy L
Jul 22, 2012 Brandy L rated it it was amazing
A New Dawn, the first book in Ann Barlow’s Guardian Chronicles series, is an epic tale following Sahara, a seemingly-ordinary girl trying to start a new life after running away from an abusive boyfriend.

I thoroughly enjoyed the explorative narrative of several characters right off the start and delved into a world full of twists, turns, and the absolute unexpected all while battling good vs. evil.

It is quite different than I expected, and was pleasantly surprised. Ann Barlow’s brilliant narrativ
M.C. Lewis
Jul 09, 2012 M.C. Lewis rated it it was amazing
Although I am not especially familiar with this genre, the intelligence of the writer’s style in the first few pages caught my attention and I decided to dive in. You are worried from the very beginning about Sahara, the protagonist. She is so vulnerable at the beginning but she strengthens and grows as the book progresses. The deft hand of the author in narrating and describing without slowing down the pace is terrific. Excellent read!
Terra Oenning
i am glad i was asked to read this book. it really isnt something i normally dnt read but i am glad i did. it had me thinking alot about alot of things. good veruses evil and how it will continue to do so. they were many characters in the book and each one had a story to tell which was good. i look forward to reading more of her work.
Best Indie Book Award
Winner of the Best Indie Book Award!
Ann Barlow
Aug 02, 2012 Ann Barlow rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Be prepared to clear your mind of all assumptions and read it with an open mind and you should enjoy A New Dawn.
Cathy Speight
Cathy Speight rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Harry
Harry rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Trevor Waite
Trevor Waite rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2011
B.T. Browning
B.T. Browning rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
  • SUFFER THE CHILDREN (signed)
  • The Schliemann Legacy
  • Dark Confluence (The Darkening #1)
  • Grand Days
  • Lords of Rainbow
  • I, Putin
  • Anomaly
  • The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Getting of Wisdom
  • The Witches of Santa Anna (The Witches of Santa Anna, #1-7)
  • The Ghost in the Crystal (School of Ages, #1)
  • The Nightmare (Mary Wollstonecraft, #2)
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Betrayal
  • The Cloud Messenger
  • Wall Of Days
  • Tamam Shud: The Somerton Man Mystery
  • Liar Bird
Ann Henrietta Barlow was born in Dumfries, Scotland and moved to England at the age of 14 and currently lives between Norway and Dubai with her husband Guy.

After working for several years as an accountant and then as an independent consultant for computer accounting packages, Ann changed course and worked as a Marketing and Communications Executive based in the Finance Sector.

Her love of reading a
More about Ann H. Barlow...

The Guardian's Chronicles (4 books)
  • A World Without Faith (The Guardians Chronicles, #2)
  • Resurrection  (The Guardians Chronicles, #3)
  • The Sacrifice