Start by marking “The Last Days of Christ the Vampire” as Want to Read:
The Last Days of Christ the Vampire

The Last Days of Christ the Vampire

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  16 reviews
He rose from the dead... His power grew over the ages. Enslaving minds and bodies through his religious cult and direct telepathic control, Jesus Christ promised people eternal life in return for obedience. Professor Holbach thinks Christ the Vampire is just a metaphor giving him nightmares. But when he starts telling his story, he and his friends are attacked and must fle ...more
Published April 1st 1990 by III Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Days of Christ the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Days of Christ the Vampire

Sure, the writing gets mediocre in patches, and the grammar and spelling are screaming out like a preemie in a dumpster for a copyeditor's nurturing correction; however, the premise and the action of this story are so entertaining and unabashedly anti-christian that you can't help but forgive it its flaws. I mean, come on -- gun battles between atheists and jesus-controlled zombies in the catacombs beneath the vatican? a bloated cannibalistic jesus incubus trailing slime in his wake? what's not ...more
Looking at Eccarius' publisher (III Publishing)'s website, I found this:

Everything you wanted to know about J. G. Eccarius that he's willing to tell you.

J.G. Eccarius was born May 12, 1818 in Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany. He was active in both the Second International (while living in England) and the IWW in the USA. Lately he has turned to writing. His short stories and essays have appeared in Processed World, The Stake, Fifth Estate, the Wild Palms Reader, and in many other zines. He
This book came out in the late 80s and when I read it the premise was shocking to me. Now the idea that Jesus was/is a vampire has been copied by Trueblood and other vampire writers. But this book was the first. It is a fast easy read, written simply to appeal to teens. It really is a genuine cult classic. That's not what I would call bad writing.
i ordered this book because of an ad in factsheet5. back when mike gunderloy was still publishing it so that will tell you how long ago this was. anyway, it's really poorly written, don't get me wrong. but i admire the audacity. and, much like my review of chariots of the gods...don't you WANT this to be true?
Imagine that the blood really is the life - literally - because Jesus was a vampire. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has an open mind - and it IS fictional, after all. (Isn't it...?)
More like pre-post-apocalyptic, but whatevs. Excellent exploration of both the Christ mythos and the vampire mythos. Blindingly paced, interestingly constructed and unique.
Chris Feldman
Hilarious, biting premise (pardon the pun), sadly marred by inferior writing and editing.

"Jesus Lives - Vampires Never Die"
Robert Run
May 22, 2014 Robert Run rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids enamoured with politics
A totally fun book. Great use of metaphor. Sometimes a bit incongruous, but for liberty not incompetence.
The Last Days of Christ the Vampire by J.G. Eccarius (1990)
This was a book I always heard about as a young punk just stepping into the world of zines and self-published fiction. The idea that drives the book is hilarious..some of the dark humor works but ultimately the writing is pretty mediocre. Although I would be lying if I said a story about anarchists/punks battling vampiric christians in the late eighties (where one of the undead bears a resemblance to Ronald Reagan) didn't put a smile on my face.
The day I finished this book, I walked into my house, went into the kitchen and threw it into the garbage can. It should have and could have been much better. It's got the eeriest cover of any book I've ever seen, and an interesting premise, but it just sucks. Totally sucks. It's got some weird anarcho-environmentalist/punk rocker angle going on, too, which ain't a bad thing necessarily, but here it does not play out well at all.
I am in love with this book! Funny, irreverent, and an awesome take on the greatest myth of all time.

Sure the writing isn't the best. The world isn't really well drawn. The characters aren't real fleshed out. Butttt....the premise, plot and action are so spectacularly awesome that its easy to look past any mediocrity in the rest of it.
Fun idea that could have made for interesting satire if the writing weren't so crappy. It's full of characters with no personalities that go on childish sounding rants. There are also tons of typos. Reads like it was written by a brainy but socially inept high-schooler.
I'll not categorize this one. It's one of the weirdest books I've ever read. It wasn't exactly well written, but it was bizarre enough to keep my interest.
I think about this book way too much.
Jan 01, 2009 Bev rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 15 year olds
Total and utter trash.
Kaelie ravencroft
Kaelie ravencroft is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Ekel Adolf
Ekel Adolf marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Daniel Cotuna
Daniel Cotuna marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Perry Lake
Perry Lake marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015