Start by marking “The Pacific War” as Want to Read:
The Pacific War

The Pacific War

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Once the stories have been told of battles won and lost, most of what happens in a war remains a mystery. So it has been with accounts of World War II in the Pacific, a conflict whose nature is only obscured by the linear narrative. In this book, a veteran and respected military author opens the story of the Pacific War to a broader and deeper view. Going beyond the usual ...more
Published January 15th 2009 by Zenith Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Pacific War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pacific War

Jimmie Kepler
“The Pacific War: The Strategy, Politics, and Players That Won the War” is the best book I have read on the Pacific War Theater of World War Two. The book presents the decision-making processes, strategies, and at times politics that guided the Allied Forces to victory. You are there decision by decision and campaign.

This is both an extremely readable book filled with recent scholarly research. It is as entertaining as a novel. The prose is amazing. I cannot over emphasize how well written the b
Christopher
I've been reading books about World War II since middle school and always of interest was the Pacific Theater where both of my grandfathers served. Needless to say its been quite a few books so I almost passed on this book but I'm glad I didn't.

This book focused mainly on the "big picture" of theater and associated campaigns. Details of individual battles were kept to a minimum in order to stay on point with how it affected the overall plan. Of especial interested that the animosity that went ba
Paul Kinzer
A solid, and very readable overview of the pacific theater, with particular focus on the politics and top military leaders of both sides. Necessarily high level, but with sufficient detail to understand the complexities and vastness of the campaign. A good number of maps, though could have used even a couple more. Balanced, honest research from sources on both sides.
Scott
I really liked this book. It delves into all of the background info on all of the major players in the pacific war. After reading this, I must confess that I have a much lower opinion of Douglas MacArthur.
Contrary to his public image, he comes off as a bit of a vane and contentious blow hard. His obsession with the reconquest of the Philippines could have cost even more American lives if the Joint Chiefs of Staff had not reined him in just a bit.
Twilight Sparkle
A great overview of the entire Pacific Theatre of Operations in World War 2. Covers most of the major events and the politics behind them. The author sort of seems to hate General Douglas MacArthur though by all accounts he was an ass anyway SO IT'S OK I GUESS.
Andreas
Andreas marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
W R Bess
W R Bess is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2015
L B
L B marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Pete Vlahakis
Pete Vlahakis marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Ken Punter
Ken Punter is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Inknscroll
Inknscroll marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
M. Elliott-Rupert
M. Elliott-Rupert marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Gary Engle
Gary Engle marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013