Start by marking “The Three Billy Goats Gruff” as Want to Read:
The Three Billy Goats Gruff

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The three goat brothers brave the terrible troll in a colorful version of the classic tale.
Published September 6th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Three Billy Goats Gruff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Billy Goats Gruff

The Three Billy Goats Gruff, written by Paul Galdone, is a wonderful book filled with beautiful, colorful, pictures and a great story of three goats and their attempts to cross a bridge with a troll living under it. Each one of the goats is bigger than the other, and using this to their advantage, each one convinces the troll not to eat him because his brother is bigger and would make a better meal. When the third and final billy goat comes to cross the bridge, the troll comes to gobble him up, ...more
Tanya Bornstein
This book has always been one of my favorites. I remember when I would read it as a child. This book is silly and cute. The children will love the image of the ugly mean troll and they can guess which Billy goats get to pass through the bridge.

L.E: After reading this book with the children play the game "London bridge is falling down". However instead of the London bridge call it the trolls bridge. The new words in the song can be: The Troll's bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down;
Paul Galdone's version of The Three Billy Goats Gruff is always a success with children. This year, we read it during snack while on a walking trip through the meadow behind our school. We pass over two bridges on our walk, and the children couldn't help but make comparisons between our meadow and that of the book and our bridges and those of the book. The past few trips, they have been keeping an extra careful lookout for trolls. :o)

I have also read the book in Spanish in the past. It's titled
Very enjoyable rendering of this tale, with Galdone's typical style of cartoon-like characters. He gives us all kinds of angles of perspective ( under the bridge with the troll, staring straight into the close-up face of a goat and more). As the story works through the three Billy Goats Gruff outwitting the troll, readers get the repetitive text of the goats' "TRIP-TRAP! TRIP-TRAP!" over the bridge, followed by the troll's "WHO'S THAT TRIPPING OVER MY BRIDGE?" The troll is as ugly as can be, add ...more
Jenny Yeager
I loved reading The Three Billy Goats Gruff because it was one of my favorite books as a kid. This version had excellent illustrations of the goats that made them seem very lifelike and playful. I also loved how the troll had many different colors in his hair. However, I think that this troll could seem scary to many younger kids. Another component of this book that I liked was that there weren't many sentences on a page. This made it easier to focus on the illustrations and let them guide the s ...more
Nov 06, 2012 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
I'm just starting to really like Paul Galdone's versions of fairy tales. The colors of the troll are awesome to me in these images. We got the boxed set of classics that were just released in September and this hardcover format is great and I really think will have a long school shelf life. The Three Billy Goats Gruff is a story I remember enjoying in childhood and I think my daughter already enjoys it as well.
Love this version by this author. The illustrations and the book itself are oversize, great for reading to a group of children.

You can show the children how to do "trip, trap, trip, trap" by slapping their knees, so you can get great audience participation, doing soft, medium and loud.

In this version the troll simply gets tossed in the water, so it's not too violent other than the tossing!
I may be biased because I memorized this for a storytelling class, but it's a fabulous version of the story - the troll is appropriately terrifying, the rhythm of the retelling is excellent, and there are great opportunities for sound effects and vocal inflection. Ben and I read this one over and over again for a while.
Already familiar with the story, this reading was more to look at the illustrations. Not bad at all. And the troll was definitely ugly. I couldn't help while reading it, though, wishing that I could hear the one guy from the Timp Storytelling Festival (2006) tell his version again.
Sep 14, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008
An okay story - not much to it. The troll was a little scary, but I equated him to the "grumpy old troll" from Dora, so the girls weren't scared.
troll is a bit scary for sensitive little ones
galdone's tales are all really well done
Super great art. Kids really got into this one in Story Time.
Geisha Cielos (loquaciousreaders)
4 Stars for a Children's Book! Too cute. ^^
The troll in this book is great!
I liked the moral of the story.
Wesley marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Annamarie marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Braeden Bornt
Braeden Bornt marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Clare Therese
Clare Therese marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Paul Galdone (1907 - November 7, 1986) was a children's literature author and illustrator. He was born in Budapest and he emigrated to the United States in 1921. He studied art at the Art Student's League and New York School for Industrial Design. He served for the US Army during world War II.

He illustrated nearly all of Eve Titus' books including, Basil of Baker Street series which was translated
More about Paul Galdone...