Stonewall Jackson: A Biography

Stonewall Jackson: A Biography (Great Generals)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Deemed "irreplaceable" by Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson assumed his nickname during the Battle of Bull Run in the Civil War. It is said that The Army of Northern Virginia never fully recovered from the loss of Stonewall's leadership when he was accidentally shot by one of his own men and died in 1863. Davis highlights Stonewall Jackson's a general who emphasized the imp...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stonewall Jackson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonewall Jackson

Donna Peake
The numbers listed as soldiers is astronomical. Stonewall was able to beat armies much larger than his. It seemed like he was a soldier just like his men. He never seemed to sleep much and was always thinking of the next skirmish.

He seemed to be such a Christian man and many of the soldiers attended church because he did. He also seemed devoted to his family. What a shame he didn't get to spend much time with his infant daughter.

Had he lived I still believe he would have made a difference in tha...more
Darren
Very nice summary of Stonewall Jackson's career. I'd of course known who he was but didn't really have a context to tie him to. This book does a nice job of describing his background and upbringing and tying it to his Civil War exploits. With the amazing success he had in the beginning of the war, it really makes you wonder what would've happened if he hadn't died of wounds received at Chancellorsville.
Amanda
Focuses on his battle techniques during the Civil War. I would have liked a bit more on his personal life.
Arieltsmith
I found Davis' writing to tend towards sappiness and romanticism, particularly when describing Jackson's youth. I found the battle sequences a little hard to follow and was a little disappointed with this book as I had had high expectations from the other books in Macmillan's "Great Generals" series I have read so far. Also, the more I learned about Jackson as a person (his hypochondria, fanatic religiousness) the less I liked him.
Dorothy Kim
This book is in the same vein as the skinny President series books. It was just the right size for me, given I don't have much patience for war descriptions. This book walked the fine line of describing the man and his war brilliance by showing just the right amount of fighting. The man was described very well and his brilliance in strategy came through perfectly.
Tanner
A good short introductory book on Stonewall Jackson's life. If you want to read a more detailed book on Jackson, then do look elsewhere. But if you want a general overview than this easy-to-read book is solid. Keep in mind, it primarily focuses on his military exploits and not so much on his relationship with his wife.
Phil
Ive never considered myself a history buff, but i have always been intrigued by the Civil War. This was a well written, very hard to put down account of apparently the most fascinating general of the time. Everyone should read this.
Thomas Zeman
A fair account of Stonewall Jackson's military career. The author does not spare praise or criticism. What really impressed me about this book was the importance of a leader staying well-rested.
Titanic Buff
Part of the Great General Series this is a relatively short book, but very informative. Information is provided on Jackson as well as the battle he served in.
Amy
A short read, but didn't discover anything new that I hadn't read in other books about the Civil War.
Matthew
Honestly, just a passing biography of a very complicated man.
Paul
A good brief accounting, primarily, of Jackson's military career.
Wendy
I enjoyed the book and learning about the man.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Zach Kagley
Zach Kagley marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Randy Whipple
Randy Whipple is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Tammy MacDonald Goolsby
Tammy MacDonald Goolsby marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lightning Strike: The Secret Mission to Kill Admiral Yamamoto and Avenge Pearl Harbor Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1) Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3) An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4) Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)