Start by marking “Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?” as Want to Read:
Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  36,345 ratings  ·  460 reviews
Moo moo! Hoo hoo! Cock-a-doodle-doo! Oh, the wonderful sounds Mr. Brown can do. Now see if you can do them too! This fabulous book is ideal for teaching young children all about noises!

This delightful book forms part of the second stage in HarperCollins’ major Dr. Seuss rebrand programme. With the relaunch of 10 more titles in August 2003, such all-time favourites as How t
Published August 4th 2003 by Harpercollins Childs (first published January 1st 1970)

Evan
Mr. Brown can make sounds like nobody's biz
His mouth is a cacophony of auditory jizz

He can grunt like a hippo or buzz like a bee
Or mimic the pee stream of a hum-a-dung Dee

He puckers and blurts out sounds like a psycho
Wheezing more noise than a Cajun doing zydeco

He putters and sputters so much aural effluvia
He's developed a callous on his poor poor uvula

He puckers and blurts out his onomatopoeia
His irate neighbors equate it to sonic diarrhea

Like crazed Mr. Brown, Dr. Seuss is sans peer
But this bo
Jillyn
Jun 06, 2013 Jillyn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jillyn by: Emily
This book follows Mr. Brown as he makes noises.

It is annoying for kiddos
And adult readers too
I do not need a book
To tell me to moo.

This is a book I will not be getting for my children in the future, lest I get headaches.
Duke L
This book leaves me cold and traumatized. It is sickening and chock full of indoctrinating messages to the most susceptible of readers. Adults, please do not read my review to your children.

Now, rather than review the book properly, I will suffer and read the book again and post my reactions to each page. By the end of this, you will understand. Oh god you will understand.

We start. Mr. Brown is odd. Not just in a quirky, "makes noises" way, but on a subconscious level. His necktie has three ends
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a fun little book (literally - this edition is a very small board book), about all the noises Mr Brown can make and how wonderful he is at making noises, and encouraging readers to make them too. The babies/toddlers (they're around 18 months old) aren't yet at the stage of making animal noises (except for one who can make a dog noise), but they love hearing me make them and I'm sure it'll be only a matter of time before they're joining in.

Some of the onomatopeias are fun to make, like t
Angie
Mr. Brown, lifelong resident of Whoville and local Dr. Seuss celebrity, was arrested early Monday morning on charges of sexual harassment.

A woman, who goes only by Lala, alerted authorities last week that she had been cat-called by Mr. Brown everyday for the past week as he was leaving his house around 6 o'clock in the morning.

The Whoville Times had the chance to question Mr. Brown on the accusations.

"I did nothing wrong," he explains. "I was merely mimicking the beautiful bird in Lala's rose bu
Marshall
OK, right off the bat let me set your straight: we own the hardback edition of this book with paper pages and the small board book edition. You NEED to have the hardback version. Why? Because the board book version pails in comparison. Entire pages with great sounds and illustrations are omitted, and you don't get to repeat the sounds Mr. Brown makes at all until the end. In the hardback edition, you do several times - and you get to do a hippopotamus chewing gum. Grum! Grum! Grum!

But I get ahea
Mykle
Yes, I can fucking moo. Thanks for asking.
Lstirl
Mr. Brown is an expert at imitating all sorts of noises. There isn't a sound Mr. Brown can't do, from a hippo's gum chewing to a goldfish's kiss. The noisemakers are graphically illustrated and the "sound effects" are printed in big lettering.
As a fan of Dr. Suess, I loved this book. I feel that young children and infants will love the rhythm and rhyme of this story as well as identifying with the items that are creating the noise. It would also be engaging to make the noises with the child.
Ho
Stacey
Jul 11, 2008 Stacey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Seuss-a-phobics
Recommended to Stacey by: Liam Ocker
Shelves: picture-books
After reading Mr. Brown Can Moo for the 105th time today, I deemed it Worthy of a goodreads (my wannabe blog) review. In the time I have spent reading Mr. Brown, I could have read War and Peace.

Caleb loves Mr. Brown. In typical boy style he loves sounds (not real good about putting them together into words, but he can boom right along with Brown).

This book is significant because it has impacted my life on various levels. In addition to saving me from War and Peace, it allowed me once again to en
Carter Harrison
Our little sister is 2, and she loves this book! Reading it to her is really fun too- we all make the sounds together!
Elizabeth
When I introduced this one at toddler story time, about half of the kids excitedly announced that they had "that book" at home. (This always makes me nervous, because a) they know when I miss a word, and b) I know that I probably won't read it the "right" way.) But they were really into it until the very last page, when one little girl (who, yes, had this book at home) spoke up and asked if I could read the next book now instead. Eh, 26 (enthusiastic!) pages out of 27 isn't too shabby.
Tandie
Finally, the third top requested nappy time book. Mr. Brown can Moo. I know these 3 are not the most popular Seuss books, but we loved them. There really is something about the repetition of familiar stories that comforts kids & settles them down. Is Mr. Brown annoying? Yes, but only the first 20 times or so. Then it just becomes a bunch of familiar sounds. The Cat in the Hat was just nightmare creepy for us. Green Eggs & Ham? For some reason, Sam I Am never stopped being annoying.
Heather
This has been a favorite since the first little guy was a baby. Who can resist listening to your parent moo or buzz?

We've enjoyed this book throughout the years and even the bigger boys like to listen to it now. It can get really loud, and long, with all of us making the sounds.

I think it would work as a beginning reader book as well, but some of the words are a little harder than the other Seuss books.
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Adam Donald
This is a great book for young readers and for kids just starting to learn about the world around them. Like most Dr. Seuss books it rhymes. The rhymes help the child reading the book progress more easily through the story. The steady flow of words also help when kids are confused about the pronunciation of some words. There is also a great deal of repetition so the kids are able to recognize certain words more easily.
This is also a really fun book for children because it is all about the diffe
Gerry
Just a bit of fun as I love Dr Seuss.

Written apparently so that children would be able to learn about onomatopoeia and the sounds that they hear every day - well, almost every day!

Cows mooing, bees buzzing, trains choo chooing, goldfish pipping (apparently when they kiss!) and so on.

Delightfully illustrated as always and a pleasure to peruse.
Alexander The Triumphant
This book was about sounds, and he did "noo" and that was the easiest one. But people that know how to do sounds don't need to read it. I liked this book because it teaches us the sounds, and it helps us learn the sounds. -by Alexander
Maureen Jehling
I absolutely love this book! It is about all sorts of different random things that people are able to do if they set their mind to it. I think that is wonderful for making children get into the mindset that anything is possible if they set their mind to it. I remember reading it as a little girl and loving the rhyming all throughout the book. The author, Dr.Seuss, always uses such a unique style of writing by coming up with silly rhyming words. The illustrations are basic but complete the job fo ...more
Guadalupe Sanchez
Mr. Brown can moo! Can you? by Dr. Seuss
Genre: children’s literature Reading Level: K-2 grade Format: good

The book Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You is about Mr. Brown doing different noises of different animals, objects and nature and then asking the reader if they can do the noises too. I believe this book really engages the reader because while the reader is reading and gets to the question if they can do the noise like the animal then the reader can try doing the noise engaging the reader. For exa
Shauna
Aug 20, 2012 Shauna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shauna by: Catherine
Shelves: bug-s-books
A gift for my newborn son, Bug, at his Book Club Baby Shower. He especially likes the pages about rain and thunder.
Jodi Heidlage
This book was shelved as literacy because it incorporates a lot of repetition and rhyming in its verses. This book talks about Mr. Brown and all of the things that he can do. It also asks if the kids can do these things as well. This would be a great book to use if you were working on having kids learn to imitate because it incorporates a task into things that kids find very interesting. This would also be a good book to foster creativity in kids by having them think about something really cool ...more
Adam
The only one I can't do is the "knock knock."
Heidi
How have I never read through this one completely before? This animal sounds (hey! it does work!) one is great to use on Seuss' birthday. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of these sounds to be entertaining. I'm not hoping for good! :-)

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: The larger group on Tuesday LOVED it. The smaller Thursday group was OK, but by the end they looked a little bored. And, I think I managed all the sounds. I enjoyed making them, if nothing else.

3/3/11: First group loved it. Totally had their
Traci

Genre: Controlled Vocabulary Picture Book

Summary: This book uses rhyming and repetition to present controlled vocabulary in a fun and entertaining way. The story presents sounds that are made by different things on each page and the repetition of these sound words.

Critique:

a.) The familiar Dr. Seuss rhyming is as always a valuable tool in providing a masterful way to present vocabulary to young and new readers. The illustrations are fun, colorful, and create accurate depictions of the often fic
Bridgette Redman
A friend of mine often asks, "In our urban society, why are we so anxious for our children to learn farm animal noises?"

She's right. Between "Old McDonald and numerous board books, we spend a lot of time ensuring our toddlers know that pigs go oink and sheep go baa. Our little city kids can recognize horses, cows, roosters, ducks and all the sounds they make long before they know that flames are hot or that forks don't go in light sockets. In some ways, it isn't surprising that we still do this
Madison
This is one of those fairly shorter Dr. Seuss books that you can read during storytime. I've read some of the reviews on this book and don't understand why people are so upset over it, I think it's a wonderful book to read to children. It rhymes and has repetition and even encourages the children to practice the sounds in the book just like Mr. Brown. Then again, not everyone reviewing this book is a Children's librarian and knows the benefits of these type of books.
Rosa Cline
This is a true Dr Seuss classic. I loved it as a little girl and my now grown daughters loved it. And now am reading it to my nearly 3 year old granddaughter. She giggled and laughed at the various sounds that Mr Brown can say (of course my changing my voice tone probably helped) :) This is a good book to help teach various sounds that things do...items and animals. And to have your child 'interact' with you as you read it if you want.
Angelica Flores
This book is about Mr. Brown doing different noises of different animals, objects and nature and then asking the reader if they can do the noises too. We can use this book for a math lesson for our students to do for example first doing a problem in front of the class and then asking our students if they can to the same with another problem. This book is eye appealing, the illustrations and reading is made for beginner readers.
Mariela
This is a wonderful picture book written by Dr. Suess. This book is written for and age group of 3monts - 4 years of age. This book is a really good book to read along with the audio. In the story Mr. Brown can moo, squeak, thunder, tick, and so much more. This book has lots of sound Mr. Brown does and it really helps to hear them. I think this is a great book to read especially to the younger children because all the sounds would definitely keep the entertained and following along. This book co ...more
Heather
I'm tempted to try to type out the text from memory.

It's so clear to me now, having a baby, the links between memorization and literacy. Paul is learning words because we read the same books over and over. He knows when to turn pages. It is amazing and kind of purgatorial. The first night that we finished a book and he closed it and then turned it back over in my lap and opened it so I could read it again, I was so happy. And so kind of horrified that I was going to have to make the rain noises
Seuss Lovers: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? 1 1 Dec 06, 2012 06:47PM
  • Belly Button Book
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down
  • Little Blue Truck
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • The Best Nest
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax