Start by marking “Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking” as Want to Read:
Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  858 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Finally back in print--the definitive volume on Indian vegetarian cooking. Created by a noted author and lecturer, Lord Krishna's Cuisine features more than 500 recipes, filled with fresh produce and herbs, delicate spices, hot curries, and homemade dairy products. All recipes are based on readily available ingredients and have been scrupulously adapted for American kitche ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1987 by Dutton (first published March 28th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Krishna's Cuisine, please sign up.

Sudip Ray Eastern Indian lentil preparation uses more water (because it is taken with rice where in North with tortilla/chapatis/rotis) and seems like Yamuna…moreEastern Indian lentil preparation uses more water (because it is taken with rice where in North with tortilla/chapatis/rotis) and seems like Yamuna Devi spent a good amount of time in Kolkata/Calcutta. Split peas,chickpeas, black/green chickpeas and beans are usually soaked for few hours before preparing it. If I am not sure how much water I need I usually start with less and keep adding warm water until I like the consistency. Hope that helps.(less)

Becky
Aug 06, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received "Lord Krishna's Cuisine" as a gift, the year after it was published. I was just learning to cook seriously, and this book became my guide.

Not only are the recipes extremely good, but Yamuna Devi is a delightful teacher. Woven into the chapter and recipe introductions are stories about her discovery of Indian cooking, aspects of Indian culture, and her travels through the world cooking for Srila Prabhupada, her spiritual teacher. These stories and comments add context and charm to the
Plant Girl
Jan 21, 2012 Plant Girl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Hands down, the best Indian cookbook I have ever picked up. I have used this book to make countless meals (mostly for large groups, the recipes double, triple, quadruple easily) and I have had success with practically each and every recipe I have tried. I love that she explains things so thoroughly and oftentimes shares short anecdotes of where she learned how to make a particular recipe. I would highly recommend this to absolutely anyone wanting to learn how to cook Indian food, meateaters incl ...more
melissa
Dec 03, 2007 melissa rated it really liked it
This thing is HUGE. It's bigger than the giant Bible my parents kept on a coffee table during my youth to scare me & my brother straight. Also, I got tattooed & I drank & I kept a stash of pot in a cookie tin in my closet back then. I need to go to church. Like now. It's a good thing I outgrew my rebellious youth and now the most fun I have on a weekend is popping mustard seeds in a skillet. I learned that from this book! I have made many a fine recipe! All vegetarian/vegan/veganizab ...more
Loraine
Mar 27, 2014 Loraine rated it really liked it
I cook with locally grown foodstuffs as much as possible, and I am also vegetarian. Those two facts preclude my getting into Indian cookery too intensely because I live in a northern climate where neither chickpeas nor adzukis nor lentils used in dahls are grown. Regardless, I was hoping to find more bean dishes like rajma. (No luck!) In Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison recommended Yamuna Devi's book as the best book for those interested in learning more about Indian vegetarian c ...more
Samantha
Nov 19, 2007 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Veg heads, Indian food fans
Shelves: cook-books
One of the best Indian cook books ever written. Devi's book is a compendium of vedic vegetarian recipes. And to be honest, I didn't even realize that the recipes had no onions or garlic until an Indian friend pointed it out. I am a HUGE fan of garlic and onions (HUGE HUGE!) but still, I absolutely love this cookbook. The recipes are exquisite, though admittedly they are often very complex. But if you want to cook a vegetarian feast some weekend, check this book out from your local library and sp ...more
Hidden Projection
Considered by many Gaudiya Vaishnava communities to be the Gold Standard of temple cookbooks. Jamuna DD was a very high devotee of Srila Prabhupada, this book contains an intense collection of recipes, stories, charts and just really vast treasure trove of information surrounding the transformation of bhoga into prasadam. So many absolutely essential preparations of Indian and Bengali vegetarian food that is prepared as gifts to be offered to Deities of the Lord in various forms. Dals, Sabjis, S ...more
Bee Berry
Mar 15, 2015 Bee Berry rated it really liked it
It is a spectacular book. However, living in a remote rural area makes finding all of the intricate ingredients a challenge.
Michael Natkin
Jun 12, 2015 Michael Natkin rated it it was amazing
Indispensable if you want to have an understanding of Indian vegetarian cuisine that goes beyond mattar paneer.
Ognen
Jun 03, 2016 Ognen rated it it was amazing
The best book ever written regarding Indian vegetarian cooking, PERIOD.
Melanie
Jan 18, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
one of my faves. the sometimes intricate recipes are impeccibly spiced and always leave friends and family super impressed. the spicing is key to success with these recipes...this cookbook is based on jain cooking which uses no onion, garlic, or mushrooms for flavoring. this is an award winning classic for a reason.

another interesting note about this cookbook, the author wrote this with american cooks in mind. nearly all of the spices can be found at your local natural foods store, and if not t
Sara
Feb 21, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
This book lives up to its reputation as a definitive Western text on Indian cooking. The multitudinous recipes are complemented by discussion of the cultural relevance of various foods and food practices and a useful guide to Indian food tools and techniques. Novices to this cuisine (like myself) diving into this book will probably find a need to stock up on some specialized equipment, but that's not critical for each recipe. Used in-depth, this book constitutes a thorough introduction to cookin ...more
Coral
Jul 24, 2016 Coral rated it it was amazing
Wonderful collection of recipes. Loved everything I've tried so far.
Roopak
Mar 16, 2014 Roopak rated it it was amazing
Vvv good book I liked it very much
Jan 02, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I love cookbooks, but don't usually review them. However, I went out today and bought my fifth copy of this book--the other three having been given to friends who liked some recipe or another. This is the only cookbook I cannot do without--and I am not even a tiny bit Indian. It's a cook's education in a single volume, with more information about basic techniques, the blending of flavors, and cooking with whole, natural foods that I've ever found.
Cedar
Apr 05, 2009 Cedar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Indian food.
This is by far my favorite cookbook. I have only had it for about two months, but have made quite a few dishes already. Everyone I have made these recipes for are in awe, and shocked when I tell them how easy making Indian food really is. The recipes are well written, easy to follow, and the author goes in to great detail about methods, ingredients, and everything you need to know about making Indian food!
Alice
Oct 12, 2011 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
This is a delightful cookbook so far. I've already marked several recipes I'm looking forward to trying. My first attempt at one of the dishes--the "Gingered Chickpeas with Eggplant, Spinach, and Tomato"--was surprisingly straightforward and a great success! With this book as my guide, I'm looking forward to exploring Indian spices and the HUGE variety of forms vegetarian dishes can take.
Rose
Feb 21, 2008 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
very good instructions on making sweets and dairy products like chenna and paneer, although i think the vedic style of indian cooking sometimes overuses the known digestive spices. not EVERYTHING needs ginger. geez. but other than that, excellent. good index and hindi-english ingredient list. this lady apparently doesn't like onions, which i think is weird.
Tim
Aug 20, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
I have this in an earlier large format paperback edition.
I am not vegetarian, I am not Indian, however this book encapsulates everything that makes vegetarian Indian cuisine exciting to a carnivore.
A fabulous book, filled with great recipes and everything you need to know about preparation of all vegetarian foods.
Alicia
Dec 26, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Indian food and cooking
I'm not sure you ever finish reading this book but I love Indian food and have learned to cook several dishes because of it. All dishes are vegetarian and most ingredients can be food at your local Whole Foods or an Indian grocery store.
Vali
Jun 29, 2013 Vali rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
This cook book is definitely impressive. But although I have managed to make some delicious meals from its recipes, this book is not for the beginner cook. Perhaps when I become more accomplished I can give it more stars.
Jamie
Dec 02, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, reference
Haven't tried many recipes yet, but what I have tried I liked.

I stumbled across it at a discount book store and grabbed it because it was cheap and looked interesting.

It's a huge cookbook with tons of recipes.
Karen Aleta
Jul 24, 2012 Karen Aleta rated it really liked it
If you follow the recipes carefully, you can make restaurant-quality food. The curried cauliflower and potatoes is now part of my repertoire. I also learned to make Raita that was out of this world.
Hope
Dec 04, 2007 Hope marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks
I read cookbooks more than I read fiction. This is the scariest cookbook I own: hardly any pictures, about 1700 pages long, and no bacon. This is why I haven't tackled it yet, but it has a lot of promise.
Neha
Jun 12, 2011 Neha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent vegetarian cookbook. Many of the recipes are traditional, home-style cooking that I grew up learning how to make. Each one turns out great if you follow the recipe exactly, which is awesome.
Chris
Aug 29, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: eat
Awe-inspiringly huge, with many fine recipes. The koftas and gravies are really wonderful. A good way to learn some Indian cooking techniques, which are so different from the American kitchen.
Todd Tyrtle
Feb 17, 2013 Todd Tyrtle rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Bought this one many years ago and used it a couple times with pretty poor results. That said, in the intervening years I have grown a lot as a cook, so it might be worth giving this another shot.
Caroline
Sep 14, 2007 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is not only beautiful to look at, it is absolutely filled with almost any Indian vegetarian dish you could ever hope to make. So far everything we've made out of it is fabulous.
Ash
Jun 27, 2015 Ash rated it liked it
Very Americanized, even the spices are not normal ones that we use in our Indian kitchens. Also common simple recipes are not there in the book. Most of them have weird names.
Melissa
Jul 01, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Great guide to cooking beans, lots of new types of recipes for me. I love the text interspersed with helpful tips - I kind of like how they are sort of poorly organized.
Theresa
Dec 19, 2009 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Not just a cookbook, but a comprehensive manual on Indian cooking. The recipes are delicious, if sometimes complicated, but the explanatory notes are worth the price of the book.
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • Real Vegetarian Thai
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • 660 Curries
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine