Start by marking “Drowning Anna” as Want to Read:
Drowning Anna

Drowning Anna

When Anna Goldsmith moves from her city school to a small town, she sticks out and her good grades set her apart as a teacher's pet. Hayley Parkin, the most popular girl in school, befriends Anna. Then Hayley begins her cruel games.
Published October 1st 2002 by Disney-Hyperion (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Drowning Anna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drowning Anna

Alana
Feb 18, 2009 Alana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage girls
Recommended to Alana by: teacher
Shelves: ya-good-read
A good example of the consequences of bullying and a novel to make you think. Set in Yorkshire, England, the story revolves around Anna Goldsmith, who as the new girl in town, is singled out by the most popular girl in school, Hayley Parkin, to be Hayley's new best friend. What starts out as an intense friendship in the way of teenage girls soon turns sinister as Hayley "goes off" Anna for no reason, and begins to systematically bully Anna both physically and emotionally.

I think everyone would
Ally Henley
Nov 08, 2013 Ally Henley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really amazing. While it was depressing and really painful to read some parts, it was really beautiful to read. You really can connect to the characters in the book, even if you haven't gone through some of the things they have, or connect extremely well if you have. The British slang used was a little difficult to get used to, but once you do it's not that weird to read. "Drowning Anna" really captures the brutality and effects of bullying on the viction. I definitely recommend th ...more
Sonja
Apr 30, 2011 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fast read... Bullying has to be stopped by the kids who are standing by watching. A fictional story but very thought provoking! (6th grade and up)
Beth
Oct 31, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a powerful book. Could not put it down. Very relevant today. So important to see these bullying situations from the perspective of the victim. I would have liked to known more about the bully and maybe seen some of her perspective also...I read a book like this and want to put it into some sort of program where other teens can read it and see the impact their words and actions can have. What you say and do DOES make a difference-good or bad. So THINK about what you do and say. Remember ...more
Alice
Jan 04, 2017 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it for a school project and it didn't surprise me that much. The plot was very predictable and I thought that the audience really didn't learn much about Anna and her bullying situation.
Arminzerella

Author: Sue Mayfield
Story Elements:
Location- United Kingdom
Time-In the 21st century

Main Characters and their traits.

The main character is Anna Goldsmith; she is a student in an international school. She is a victim of serious bullying. Another character is Melanie Blackwood; she is one of the ignorant but supporting friends of Anna.
The antagonist is Hayley Parkin. She is the queen bee of the school. She is very popular and thinks she has the
kylajaclyn
This book has a message that is still incredibly relevant but, unfortunately, it is poorly written with characters that are not developed well. Some spoilers ahead...

The main character, Anna, is developed well enough. But all of the other characters are static. I know it is hard to make a villain who is more than just a villain, but reading Shakespeare is a good route to go if you are going to do evil just for evil's sake.

This is a book about bullying. Anna starts out friends with Hayley Parkin
Christie
Sep 23, 2012 Christie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
When Anna Goldsmith moves to Yorkshire from the south of England, she finds the transition difficult – that is, until Hayley Parkin, the most popular girl at school, takes Anna under her wing. Sue Mayfield’s YA novel Drowning Anna unspools the story of Anna’s relationship with Hayley, which deteriorates almost as quickly as it began.

As Melanie explains:

Hayley Parkin goes off people. I don’t know why. Perhaps she gets bored with them. Perhaps she runs out of things to buy them. Perhaps she can’t
Daniella
Drowning Anna was a beautifully written book filled with compassion, love, sadness, and the typical teenage life. Anna Goldsmith was a beautiful girl, with brownish hair, big round brown eyes. Anna was very intelligent which made her liked by all the teachers, a great hockey player, and she spoke like the queen of England, not only that but she had a great loyal, caring, and funny persona. She moved to a small town in England, as soon as she arrived there Haley Parkin, the most popular girl in s ...more
Cosette
Jul 01, 2016 Cosette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen girls, teachers
I read this book when I was a little over eleven, so, a few years ago. I'd read a lot of books, but before this, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" was the most serious thing I'd read. This book quickly changed that record, and I remember it being so disturbing and by far the darkest thing I'd ever picked up. And yet, in an odd way, I enjoyed it. And, as that year I went through a lot of pretty harsh bullying at school, it became something I often reflected on.

The prose is decent, written ve
Shonna Froebel
Nov 01, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
This teen novel tells the story of Anna from two directions. One is the view of her friend Melanie, looking back at the events since Anna came to her high school more than two years ago. The other is Anna's own words through her diary entries, as read and reacted to by her parents when they sit by her in the hospital as she fights for her life.
Anna's family moved to this unnamed Yorkshire town from London in Year Nine, and is immediately befriended by Hayley Parkin, an attractive and popular gir
Sarah Crawford
Feb 10, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is story centered around female/female bullying in school. Anna starts off being friends with Hayley, but Hayley, for reasons known only to herself, turns against Anna and carries out a protracted and vindictive series of verbal, and then even physical , attacks against the girl.

Melanie tries to be friends with both girls, but finds that isn't such an easy task in itself.

The story is also told in a somewhat unusual manner. First off, there's a lot of flashback as seen both in Anna's diary,
Paige
Sep 04, 2012 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anna was a new girl to the school and was welcomed instantly. Hayley the most popular girl loved her and they were the best of friends. Until Hayley realized that Anna was becoming to likeable. Hayley schemed of ways to make Anna life miserable. In a matter of days Anna became one of Hayley's friends to her enemy, and since everyone listened to Hayley everybody hated Anna. Except for Melanie, she was not the mean to Anna but she acted like she did not know her. She was to excited becuase Hayley ...more
Andee
Sep 05, 2008 Andee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My teacher suggested this to me, and I couldn't have been happier! This book seriously dug deep within me, I related to the character so easily, seeing as I was in the exact same situation. Anna is a young, lovely girl. She is befriended(sp) by Hayley a popular girl with a bad side. As soon as their friendship starts it ends with Anna taking 11 pills and a third of vodka to end it all, thankfully she is found before her death and is taken to the hospital, she is in a coma the whole time in the s ...more
Melanie
I read this book all in one day. Yep, all three hundred and sixteen pages. Quite the pathetic accomplishment, I know, But I really wanted to finish it. I would not recommend this book, not because the author is a bad author, but because I wanted to avoid the subject of bulling. The main character, Anna, was living a reoccurring nightmare. The book was haunting me. All the needless pain she had to endure. The antagonist, Haley, had taken her bulling to extremes. So far that Anna was cutting herse ...more
Nina
Nov 08, 2012 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across Drowning Anna in 6th grade. As depressing as it was, I stayed up reading it with the television as my light source. It was amazing, some would consider it Adult. I would put it under young adult. Growing up in the city you are encountered by many "adult" ideas and situations. In Drowning Anna you are introduced to self harm, suicide, eating disorders, love, sex, hard kisses, etc. Awkward subjects yet beautiful words. Drowning Anna is definitely a great read. WARNING: I do not recom ...more
Dimple Malhotra
4 times down on a book..!!
Wow......!!
Its a great book. It had catchy character personas with a combo of a factual plot.But when i was into the book, it ended. Where I started feeling a part of the book it ended. I felt the end was incomplete.
I mean, What happened to Hayley after that incident? Did she change or remained the same?
Melanie? What about her friendship with Anna?
Most important part, What about Anna? Was she able to cope with the situation? What happened??
I would really love to read mo
Jessica Young
Apr 20, 2013 Jessica Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to say that I didn't enjoy reading this book just because of what it's about, but I really liked it. It really made me think. This book might've seemed over exaggerated, but I'm sure things like it happen all the time. It amazes me how much words can hurt a person. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me. SO not true. I read this years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but it was a great book to read, well written and every page kept me wondering wh ...more
Mel Amni
Sep 21, 2015 Mel Amni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the format of this story was so compelling. I was in love with the different perspectives. the pages leading up to closure had me completely on edge. very well written, and really informative novel. although I would have to mention, if you get triggered by someone talking about cutting/blood/blades, be cautious with this book because one of the chapters gets a bit risky.

it was truly a great book though. 4/5 stars.
Megan
Jul 11, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was totally depressing :( It wasn't really like a story with a plot, climax, exposition and such...It was more like a..I don't know, a documentary or biography.

I feel like a jerk for saying this but I kind of wanted her to die. Its not that I didn't want her to live. I felt really bad for her. But I wanted even more for Hayley to suffer and live life knowing that she killed someone.

I didn't really like the ending too much because I wanted to see how Hayley would react.
Nancy
Feb 06, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How I can relate to this book... :( Bullying by females is usually so subtle. No one wants to believe that girls can really be that cruel. But they can. Big time. It's such a huge problem in high schools today. I felt so sorry for Anna. No girl should ever have to go through what she did with her so-called "friends".
Tory
Apr 12, 2016 Tory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A really fast read on the effects of bullying on a teenage girl in England. Requisite eating disorder and cutting; obnoxious expository diary entries so everyone gets clued in on "the real story;" too many exclamation marks and short, choppy sentences. Why she didn't just punch the cunt in the face, I'll never know.
Haley Bagenstos
Nov 29, 2012 Haley Bagenstos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember I was about 13 years old when I read this book. I had to read a book for a class assignment, and was looking through the school library to find I book. I settled on this one because "Hayley" had the same name as me. I'm so glad that I accidentally found this amazing book my complete chance! Absolutely going to buy a copy for myself to re-read in the near future.
Karen Edith Gallegos
Feb 11, 2008 Karen Edith Gallegos rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Karen Edith by: a friend
i like this book bacuse it shows how the self-confidence of a girl turns out to be a disaster because of this girl in school. anna tried to killed herself. and make her parents, her friends and her enemy that they had made a big mistake. anna is in coma and had a heart attack because of a overdosis.she had the highest grades in class. the way she talked made people laugh at her.
Cathie
Jul 16, 2008 Cathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book for teenagers and parents of teens who have been bullied or abused. My fourteen-year-old is going to do it for serious prose in speech this year. She already has it cut! I'm anxious to see how she does this year. It is a quick read, too.
Chelsea
Jun 25, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna and Hayley are friends - aren't they? Anna doesn't realize that Hayley is a great manipulator, and Anna ends up being so desperate that she starts self-harming. Dramatic, sad, simple, and real.
Alex
Mar 05, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very realistic portrayal of girls bullying, relational aggression, covert bullying, etc. It's real, and it's scary, and it's not easy to manage. This book is a good teaching tool for professionals, and probably teens too.
Danielle
Mar 16, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't the most well-written book I've ever read- but worth the read for sure. This is a book that all middle/high school students should read. The topics of bullying and suicide are horrific and sad, but well portrayed in this young adult book.
Lauren-Eva
Oct 04, 2013 Lauren-Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have ever read. It helped me come to terms a bit with what I was going through at the time as a teenager going through undiagnosed depression. If I ever find it in a book store I will definitely buy it.
  • Poison Ivy
  • The Girl Who Saw Lions
  • Names Will Never Hurt Me
  • Crosses
  • Confessions of a Former Bully
  • Stand Up for Yourself & Your Friends: Dealing with Bullies and Bossiness, and Finding a Better Way
  • Boy Girl Boy
  • Freak
  • Chrissa Stands Strong
  • Brutal
Sue Mayfield has written eight novels for young adults including 'I Carried You on Eagles’ Wings', 'Blue' and 'Damage'. Her first historical novel 'Hill of the Angels' will be published in June 2016. Many of her stories are about young people overcoming difficulties and explore themes of loss, friendship and forgiveness. She is currently working on a story about the healing relationship between a ...more
More about Sue Mayfield...