Start by marking “The Inner History of Devices” as Want to Read:
The Inner History of Devices

The Inner History of Devices

Memoir, clinical writings, and ethnography inform new perspectives on the experience of technology; personal stories illuminate how technology enters the inner life.
Published October 31st 2008 by MIT Press (first published August 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Inner History of Devices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inner History of Devices

Margaret Heller
Dec 08, 2011 Margaret Heller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-studies
This volume is edited and with an introduction by Sherry Turkle, and each chapter is written by someone else, so the "by" in the bibliographic data should really read "ed.". Anyway.

This work examines people's personal relationships with technology through three formats: memoir, ethnography, and case report. In each case, the point is to understand how the technology either builds or elides a sense of self. Not surprisingly, results show that participative environments help people to build a sen
Amber Case
For more than two decades, in such landmark studies as The Second Self and Life on the Screen, Sherry Turkle has challenged our collective imagination with her insights about how technology enters our private worlds. In The Inner History of Devices, she describes her process, an approach that reveals how what we make is woven into our ways of seeing ourselves. She brings together three traditions of listening -- that of the memoirist, the clinician, and the ethnographer. Each informs the others ...more
Jesse
Jan 28, 2016 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So, this book has been on my shelves for a while (years), without being read. I think that's because it's very outside of what I normally read, so I've always found other things more interesting at the moment. Also, I don't tend to read a lot of non-fiction for pleasure, because I do a lot of non-fiction reading at work. The only reason I have this book was that it was a gift.

With all that said, it was interesting. It is a collection of essays or short articles by different authors, all related
Meghan Fidler
Mar 16, 2013 Meghan Fidler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was overjoyed to encounter a less reactionary piece by Sherry Turkle; it feels that her latest books and articles burn most of their wordcount in long renditions damning new technologies as causes of detriments, ailments, and alienation. The introduction to "The Inner History of Devices" was refreshingly tempered.

With Professor Turkle as editor, the book is heavy in authors practicing psychiatry, a few of which are genuinely thought provoking.

My favorite section by far, however, was the fi
Margaret Sankey
Fascinating collection of short ethnographies of technology--a blind scholar angry at the prosthetic maker for criticizing her decision to change the eye color of her new prosthetic eyeballs, elderly Israeli women watching TV in defiance of their Ultra-Orthodox sons, internal cardiac defibrillator users and their dependence on and resentment of a machine that keeps them alive, but seems to randomly cause them excruciating pain (with a digression on Dick Cheney's increased fatalism after getting ...more
Gina
Jan 03, 2010 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of essays examining people's complex interactions with machines and websites. Turkle does an introduction that explains the methodological approaches of the essayists--memoir, clinical practice, and fieldwork.
Chris Beiser
It's an anthology, so it's necessarily a mixed bag

Worth reading:
Inner History
The Prosthetic Eye
Cell Phones
Television
The ICD
Video Poker

The Patterning Table, The World Wide Web and Slashdot.org are maybes. Skip the rest.
Britt Nesheim
Britt Nesheim rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2009
Adie Marg
Adie Marg rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Darwin
Darwin rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Sayamindu Dasgupta
Sayamindu Dasgupta rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Sam Bruskin
Sam Bruskin rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Nicola Cavalli
Nicola Cavalli rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Paula Carolei
Paula Carolei rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Deniz Denizli
Deniz Denizli rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Catleah
Catleah rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Emily Carlin
Emily Carlin rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Patience Foster
Patience Foster rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Karen Thompson
Karen Thompson rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Asher Rapkin
Asher Rapkin rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2009
Chris Tweed
Chris Tweed rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Edward
Edward rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Ezra
Ezra rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2014
  • Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net's Impact on Our Minds and Future
  • The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel
  • Information: A Very Short Introduction
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • Now You See It: How the Brain Science of Attention Will Transform the Way We Live, Work, and Learn
  • Evolution and Human Behavior
  • Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information
  • De døde sjæles nat
  • And Then There's This: How Stories Live and Die in Viral Culture
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach
  • On Nature and Language
  • Alkemins eviga eld (Maria Wern #12)
  • After the Ice: Life, Death, and Geopolitics in the New Arctic
  • Stigninger og fald
  • Four Colors Suffice: How the Map Problem Was Solved
  • The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul: What Gnarly Computation Taught Me About Ultimate Reality, the Meaning of Life, and How to Be Happy
  • Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked Science

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Sherry Turkle is Abby Rockefeller Mauzé Professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology in the Program in Science, Technology, and Society at MIT and the founder (2001) and current director of the MIT Initiative on Technology and Self. Professor Turkle received a joint doctorate in sociology and personality psychology from Harvard University and is a licensed clinical psychologist.

Profes
More about Sherry Turkle...