Her Singapore Fling (Bennett Family, #5)

Her Singapore Fling (Bennett Family #5)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  34 reviews

In desperate need of protection, Jianne Xang-Bennett reluctantly turns to her estranged husband, martial arts expert Jacob Bennett, for help. But there are problems: they've been separated for twelve years and cannot be in the same room together without arguing or ripping each other's clothes off--often at the same time
But Jacob will go to extremes for those he loves, and...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Harlequin Presents (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Her Singapore Fling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Singapore Fling

Saly
The last Bennett book about Jake, the sensei master who runs a dojo and raised his siblings after his mother died and father kind of checked out. Jake's life is simple, he has his work and now a boy Po who he is helping and then the heroine comes back into his life. They both share a complicated relationship and have been estranged for twelve years. They were young when they got married and both made mistakes, the heroine was young and unsure in a new place and had to deal with his siblings and...more
Jacqueline
3-1/2 stars. The last book in the Bennett family series. It was okay and good to finally see what was up with Jake's failed marriage. It was good to see that what had broken them up was a real problem. They are old enough now 12 years on to deal with the problems. One of the things I disliked was that even though she was Chinese, there was not a real sense of her being of a different culture. Also although you know what happened in the past it wasn't quite pinned down like a butterfly under glas...more
Nicola Marsh
If you've never read category romance, do yourself a favour and start with this book.

An Asian heroine, a tough martial arts hero, suspense thrown in and loads of fabulous, characteristic Hunter charm.

Her characters are rich, vibrant and emotionally complex.

Superb!
rameau
This review can also be found on Portable pieces of thought-blog.

Last night, after finishing this book, I made a few notes on what I wanted to write in my review. This morning, I looked at those notes and couldn’t think of anything meaningful to say. This book is forgettable. Entertaining but forgettable.

There were things I liked. I liked what Hunter did with the fragile Japanese bowls to show how Jianne could be both delicate and durable that she couldn’t be broken as easily as Jake thought. I...more
Estara
Jan 22, 2013 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series and Singapore
Recommended to Estara by: I wanted to check the book I already bought in February last year in the same series
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2013
Li
The final Bennett book, and possibly the only one of the series that can't be read as a standalone - in a way, I'm glad I discovered Kelly Hunter so late, as I could read the whole series in one go!

Jianne and Jake's relationship was so intense, yet their story was leavened with the humour that I've come to expect in Kelly Hunter's books. I'm a sucker for marriage-in-trouble plotlines - it's the shared history and what-could-have-beens that always gets me, and this book delivered angst and romanc...more
Kate
A nice end to the Bennett family series. I admit that I really like reunion stories, probably because the author has to spend less time introducing the H/h to each other. Maybe it's just because I'm nosy, I would have liked a little more background about how Jake and Ji met (please correct me if I missed this in one of the previous books).

Is it wrong to hope that in a few years there can be a book with Po as a 20-something-year-old martial art/human rights lawyer?
Kaetrin
Why I read it: Previously (also?) published under the title Red Hot Renegade, it's a book I've heard from a number of blogger/Twitter friends is worth my time. Kat from Book Thingo is a big fan of this book and she even mentioned it in the recent DBSA podcast with Sarah Wendell. So I picked it (and 10 or 11 other Kelly Hunter books) up from the recent eHarlequin 50% off sale. I'm so weak.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) In desperate need of protection, Jianne Xang-Bennett reluctantly turns to...more
Judi
This may well be the best category romance I have ever read! I LOVED Her Singapore Fling.

I don’t read a lot of category romance mostly because I find the names of the books sooooo contrived and frankly it turns me off buying these books. I will pick up the occasional category romance by one of my favorite authors like a Blaze by Jill Shalvis or Lisa Renee Jones or an Intrigue by HelenKay Dimon or a Super Romance by Sarah Mayberry but I’ve never read a Harlequin Presents Extra - and my question i...more
Lu Bielefeld *Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!*
23/04/2012

Recomendo!
Legal!

Li em inglês, portanto não sei se a versão em português está integral.

Gostei muito do livrinho, fazia horas que não lia nada tão interessante. Os lançamentos estão deixando muito a desejar.

Ele faz parte de uma série, mas não achei os outros ainda, contando a história da família Bennett.

Lu Bielefeld *Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!*

O mocinho, Jake, é o mais velho da família e é o encarregado de criar uma penca de irmãos menores, os quais sempre tem prioridade na sua vida, seguidos pelas artes marciais, ficando as necessidades e sentimentos da esposa relegados a um segundo plano.

Entre os vários problemas que eles enfrentam como as diferenças culturais (ela é chinesa e pertence a uma famíla muito rica e tradicional)e a responsabilidade de lidar com os irmãos menores e dirigir a casa e etc... Jianne não se sente amada e por i...more
Vanessa
Jianne and Jacob have a history, but truly it wasn’t filled in a lot here. Jianne comes to Jacob to help w/ a stalker that can’t seem to back off of her. Yet, again, the stalker thing wasn’t fully backed up either. Apparently it had been going on for years, but no examples or reasons were really given.

It seemed that before Jacob wanted to take care of all, but not really because Jianne doesn’t voice things or needs to him, and Jianne can pay for EVERYTHING which seems to be a problem for Jacob....more
Hilly
Feb 03, 2013 Hilly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 'second chance' romance fans
4 stars.

This was a pleasant surprise! The final (unless Po gets a book -- and I hope that he WILL!) Bennett sibling's story is moving, real and vivid. The characters are engaging and nearly believable, not too far into cartoon-land. The backstory is reasonable, if sad, and the current romance is quite touching. I liked it.

I was glad that Ji&Jake were trying again. Moreover, they are people - adults! - with whom I wouldn't mind spending more time. I liked them.

Very satisfying book. I'd recomm...more
Kat at Book Thingo
Click here for my full review at Book Thingo.

Hunter does beautiful things with this couple. Their bedroom scenes are hot and rough and tinged with desperation, and I found them utterly moving. The way Jacob and Jianne work through their guilt and find the courage to claim what they need from the relationship is so subtle it’s bordering on not enough information. I love this.

Sexy, angsty and deeply moving, this story is everything we love about category romance. Oh, and the heroine? She’s the tyc...more
Karina Díaz
Me encanta la idea de que el amor es más poderoso que las adversidades. Pero más hermoso es ver que luego del tiempo indicado el verdadero amor florece con más fuerza y es más brillante que nada.
Bluecreek
I really enjoyed this IR novel. Jacob and Jianne were together early in their lives before they really were ready to handle the stresses that would be placed on them by their situation. Now that it is years later, they are in a position to make it work the second time around. Jianne is sweet and kind and has never stopped loving Jacob. Jacob is certainly more bitter, but he also reconizes his part to play in why their relationship failed the first time, and grows and takes steps to make sure the...more
Ana
The conclusion to the Bennet Family Series, and my favourite book.

It's nice to see a reunion story, when the reasons for the break-up were good, not some stupid misunderstanding, which can be common. That is one of the reasons I don't usually like the reunion themed books. The way that both Ji and Jake admit they were to blame for the way things ended was mature and I sympathized with them.

And I do know I'm repeating myself, but I love the Bennets, the way they support each other, although I wo...more
Sabine
Two things I have to say about this book. First: They are married but have been estranged for 12 years and then they just hop into bed with each other again without protection or even talking about check ups/ contraception/ former lovers etc. This is so not on for me in a contemporary romance.

Second: This sentence "Sometimes, it simply suited a woman to do as she was told." (That's from the heroine's POV. Not some alphole hero.) Yeah. GO FUCK YOURSELF! Seriously. WTH.

Apart from that? Not all tha...more
Gail
I liked this book a lot. Hero and heroine are married, but they've been estranged a long time--not living together--and never did anything about it. Now they're back in the same town, and it turns out, she's having trouble with another man who won't take no for an answer. So she moves back in with her manly-man husband. And the sparks fly. It's not a perfect story--the heroine's a little passive, the hero's awfully "strong but silent"--too silent. But I still liked it an awful lot. It's a really...more
Melissa Maxwell
Oh I so loved their story though I so thought their story would have been earlier like book three not five. I loved Ji and Jake because they were soul mates that in order to let the other spread their wings let them go. Like the saying "If you love someone let them go if they come back it was meant to be but if they don't it never was" works so well. I loved how they ended up together and the epilogue though I would have loved to know who had kids and how many.
Ms_prue
Reasons why this book is awesome (not comprehensive and in no particular order):
- it's about a Chinese/Australian couple
- living in Singapore
- nothing feels forced about the relationship development or the plot
- Ji is 100x cleverer than every other romance heroine I've read so far, as demonstrated by one event in particular which is probably a spoiler
- it's just brilliant, okay?
Diane
this book is sold as HER SINGAPORE FLING in the U.S. another of the bennett family bookos, also set in singapore, and this book seemed to flow so much better than her last. it took forever to find out why the hero and heroine were estranged for 12 years, and never really did go into what the heroine had done for that time, but i still enjoyed this book
Vanessa Kelly
One of my favorite contemporary romances. The writing is smart and sexy, and Jake is a truly swoon-worthy hero. Ji is an engaging heroine, the Bennett family is wonderful, and Po is an absolutely heart-wrenching and sympathetic depiction of a troubled young boy coming into his own. There is nothing about this book that I didn't love.
Lori Baldi
Very good story. It took me out of my comfort zone which is good. I've not read about that type of environment before: Martial Arts in southeast Asia. This story was pretty sophisticated and I really liked that it was so different. I'm wanting to read the stories about the rest of the Bennett Family now. I'm on the hunt.
Subathra S
When i started reading i found this book was the last one and four more were there. So i started in order and read this one at the last. None of the other books captured my heart like this one. Since i have read the other books i was able to feel the love between bennet siblings and i fell in love with them.
Shannon Adamson
I was actually disappointed with this book. Even though the love story was good, I was expecting a full out brawl between Jacob and Zhi Fu. I thought it wasn't like Zhi Fu to just walk away. I expected him to go all Kung-Fu and have an epic battle for the princess.....
Ola
Gosh i Loved it, Really loved it, it is one of the best i have ever read about "getting-back-together" kinda Novels.
The Author Captured me with the way of describing... it was really Amazing .. i think it is a "Should Read" kinda book :) Really Enjoyed it!
Irma
I liked tortured romance novel characters. Mix it in that the heroine in this book is Asian, and it's an interracial love story well, that's pretty freakin fabulous to me.
Judy Jarvie
Possibly one of my most fave heroes in a MnB romance ever - so hot the pages sizzled. I've already re-read this book and will do again. A keeper for sure.
ms bookjunkie
Awesome book, love it muchly. I loved the taste of Singapore. Extremely compelling, very emotionally satisfying.
  • Bring Him Home
  • The Disgraced Playboy (Bad Blood, #2)
  • A Night of Scandal (Bad Blood, #1)
  • One Good Reason
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Ashes and Wine
  • Heating Up The Holidays (Harlequin Blaze, #435) (American Heroes: The Firefighters, #3)
  • Craving the Forbidden (The Fitzroy Legacy #1)
  • The Bride's Awakening (Modern Romance)
  • The Dangerous Jacob Wilde (The Wilde Brothers, #1)
  • A Whole Lot of Love
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • The Restless Billionaire (Bad Blood #3)
  • Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • The Fearless Maverick (Bad Blood, #4)
Australian born Kelly Hunter is a three time Romance Writers of America Rita finalist, a USA Today Bestselling author and loves writing to the demands of the short category romance form.
More about Kelly Hunter...
The One That Got Away The Man She Loves To Hate (The Eligible Bachelors, #1) Wife for a Week (Bennett #1) Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate (Hot Bed of Scandal #1) With This Fling