Start by marking “Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children” as Want to Read:
Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children

Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children is the fruit of decades of development and innovation in the Plum Village community's collective practice with children. Based on Thich Nhat Hanh's thirty years of teaching mindfulness and compassion to parents, teachers, and children, the book and enclosed CD covers a wide range of contemplative and fun activities paren ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Planting Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting Seeds

(5) Practical applications aside, this is an easy read and even easier to incorporate into daily life. Highly recommend for anyone who is struggling to gain an understanding of mindfulness and anyone who works with children and teens. I will definitely buy a copy for my personal collection!
This is such a great book written like a lesson plan for a group of kids (little ones to teenage). I plan on starting one where we coul get together once a week and go through the book. It deserves 5+ stars! I checked this out from the library, but I am planning on buying my own copy. There is an option to get this for a kindle, but then you don't get the CD, which not only is great with the book but could be used as a background music for a kids yoga class. This book is wonderful and I hope man ...more
I think it speaks to the state of my mindfulness practice that I skimmed the rest of this book before returning it to the library. I don't think that skimming a mindfulness book is really what it's all about, but it was a good read. I incorporate a lot of mindfulness into my therapy practice with anxious, depressed, and inattentive kids. I'm also doing it myself and am really appreciating any attempts that I make in that direction. It's the gift that immediately gives and keeps on giving. I'm al ...more
Molly Westerman
I'm not a Buddhist, but I do find meditation and mindfulness practices really helpful, and I particularly got a lot out of Thich Nhat Hanh's book The Blooming of a Lotus waaaay back when I was an undergrad. I remember the simplicity of the practices, and the way they helped me ground myself during some angsty periods of my life. So when I saw Planting Seeds, I hoped it would help me figure out ways to start passing these tools along to my two young children.

There's a lot to like here, and a lot
I will edit this review when I have finished the book.

But, I absolutely relate to the idea of firstly taking care of myself, then my children/family and then my community.

This book answers my need on how to model mindfulness to my children, while learning the tools of taking care of myself.Ad nourishing and sustaining my relationships.

I enjoy the CD. The music is very calming for me, and the guided meditation is helpful.

I have been looking at how to combine Buddhism with family life. I am a pare
This was a very good book. I think all parents and educators should read it. If not to follow it's lessons precisely, at least to get a feel for the idea of increasing mindfulness in our children and our teaching. Do not let the idea that it is based in Buddhism fool you into thinking that any other religious person could not benefit from it. I have found that most Buddhist teachings I have read firmly believe that no one should convert to Buddhism, but they feel that some of their practices cou ...more
This book should be in every teacher and school administrators bookcase. There are so many pressures on teachers due to testing requirements that the psychological health of our children is often disregarded. The thing we are forgetting is that psychological well being is directly linked to performance and you cannot have one without the other. This book offers really simple solutions for incorporating both into our children's lives.
Mar 21, 2012 Sps rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 200s
Most of the practices and ideas in here were familiar to me from Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices, but they are all tailored for adults who want to bring mindfulness practice into children's lives. Some of it feels like dopey New Age blather, e.g. most of the songs on the included CD. But the practices are real, and the questions and answers with Buddhist teachers are illuminating. I bet a child raised with lots of mindfulness practice would have a wonderful, unshakeable source of stre ...more
I really liked the tools shared in this book for helping children visualize mindfulness. All the tips I've tried have been successful - my children (ages 2 and 4) seemed to get a kick out of mindfulness activities, and my 4 year old has definitely caught on to the idea of mindfulness thanks to this book. That said, I think I'd recommend this more as a reference to have on hand when wanting mindfulness activities for kids vs as a good read. Other than the children's mindfulness activities, I thou ...more
This is a unique and wonderful book that anyone involved with children--whether as parents or teachers--should read. It's both practical and imaginative. There are wonderful activities that range from artistic to thoughtful to meditative. The activities centering around food are quite terrific in the way they help to inculcate an awareness about food, health, and agriculture. There are great ideas for helping teach kids to concentrate, to be considerate, all sorts of important lessons that they ...more
What an awesome collection of anecdotes, ideas, meditations, and activities to introduce children to the practice of mindfulness!!! We have integrated the food contemplations to our dinners every night, made a mindfulness corner for the girls, among other things. It really helped Buddhism become a family practice. Loved it. Will come back to it again and again.
I was really excited to find this book, but was disappointed. I heartily agree that children are capable of practicing mindfulness and the benefits to such a practice are huge. I gave this book a low rating because it is poorly organized. It lacked a much needed "how to use this book" chapter, as well as an explanation of to use the CD that was included.
Alison Steiner
I'd have loved to see the content organised in a more logical, user-friendly way. Bits of it tended to be 'waffley' and repetitive. Some good, simple activities however I would have preferred for this book to have been co-written with a classroom educator as not all of the concepts, as presented here, translate well into a contempory, secular classroom.
This was a really great book about helping children live mindfully. I have already started implementing some of the ideas with my kids, such as breathing when they hear the bell, and while a few of the activities were a tad hokey for me, I think this is a great resource for helping parents raise thoughtful, compassionate kids.
Found the exercises to be really great. I saved them to use with my girls. This has more information for classrooms than individual families, and more for little kids than bigger ones. It also has more of a Buddhist focus than I use with mindfulness, but it's thoughtful and helpful.
This is beautiful book has so much encouragement for incorporating mindfulness into the home or classroom, for young children to teenagers to adults, and it is easy to work into any spiritual or religious (or not) setting. The accompanying CD is a lovely bonus.
Tina Carstensen Lopez
Good ideas for sharing Buddhist practice with children. It's not a secular mindfulness book by any means.
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
I really enjoyed this book. It has easy and interesting things to keep in mind while talking to kids, and exercises to do with young kids of different ages to help them quiet their mind and live in the moment.
Michelle Karow
I am a mother, behaviour and yoga therapist, I got this book to share with children in my yoga classes, mindfulness will help create peace in all. My 10 year old son appreciates the poems and asks to read them daily.
Christine Word
This book changed the way I approach parenting, and to some extent, sent ripples through my whole world view. As a new mother, I am forever grateful to have found this excellent guide.
Jan 03, 2014 Ashley marked it as to-read
on p 45
Full of wonderful & practical ways to get kids interested in meditation & mindfulness. Have already started using the techniques.
Pagt Sdh
easy ideas to help and move forward and use in daily life, enjoyable reading
A must-read for every parent.
Beautiful in every way.
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Lien marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Sónia Martins
Sónia Martins marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Lola marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Anh's Anger
  • Little Flower Yoga for Kids: A Yoga and Mindfulness Program to Help Your Child Improve Attention and Emotional Balance
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • My Mother Wears Combat Boots: A Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • The Opposite of Worry: The Playful Parenting Approach to Childhood Anxieties and Fears
  • A Year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practices to Shape Your Life
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...