Start by marking “Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children” as Want to Read:
Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children

Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children is the fruit of decades of development and innovation in the Plum Village community's collective practice with children. Based on Thich Nhat Hanh's thirty years of teaching mindfulness and compassion to parents, teachers, and children, the book and enclosed CD covers a wide range of contemplative and fun activities paren ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Planting Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting Seeds

Sara
This is such a great book written like a lesson plan for a group of kids (little ones to teenage). I plan on starting one where we coul get together once a week and go through the book. It deserves 5+ stars! I checked this out from the library, but I am planning on buying my own copy. There is an option to get this for a kindle, but then you don't get the CD, which not only is great with the book but could be used as a background music for a kids yoga class. This book is wonderful and I hope man ...more
Molly Westerman
I'm not a Buddhist, but I do find meditation and mindfulness practices really helpful, and I particularly got a lot out of Thich Nhat Hanh's book The Blooming of a Lotus waaaay back when I was an undergrad. I remember the simplicity of the practices, and the way they helped me ground myself during some angsty periods of my life. So when I saw Planting Seeds, I hoped it would help me figure out ways to start passing these tools along to my two young children.

There's a lot to like here, and a lot
Megan
I will edit this review when I have finished the book.

But, I absolutely relate to the idea of firstly taking care of myself, then my children/family and then my community.

This book answers my need on how to model mindfulness to my children, while learning the tools of taking care of myself.Ad nourishing and sustaining my relationships.

I enjoy the CD. The music is very calming for me, and the guided meditation is helpful.

I have been looking at how to combine Buddhism with family life. I am a pare
Carly
This was a very good book. I think all parents and educators should read it. If not to follow it's lessons precisely, at least to get a feel for the idea of increasing mindfulness in our children and our teaching. Do not let the idea that it is based in Buddhism fool you into thinking that any other religious person could not benefit from it. I have found that most Buddhist teachings I have read firmly believe that no one should convert to Buddhism, but they feel that some of their practices cou ...more
Sps
Mar 21, 2012 Sps rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 200s
Most of the practices and ideas in here were familiar to me from Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices, but they are all tailored for adults who want to bring mindfulness practice into children's lives. Some of it feels like dopey New Age blather, e.g. most of the songs on the included CD. But the practices are real, and the questions and answers with Buddhist teachers are illuminating. I bet a child raised with lots of mindfulness practice would have a wonderful, unshakeable source of stre ...more
Marcy
This is a unique and wonderful book that anyone involved with children--whether as parents or teachers--should read. It's both practical and imaginative. There are wonderful activities that range from artistic to thoughtful to meditative. The activities centering around food are quite terrific in the way they help to inculcate an awareness about food, health, and agriculture. There are great ideas for helping teach kids to concentrate, to be considerate, all sorts of important lessons that they ...more
Molly
What an awesome collection of anecdotes, ideas, meditations, and activities to introduce children to the practice of mindfulness!!! We have integrated the food contemplations to our dinners every night, made a mindfulness corner for the girls, among other things. It really helped Buddhism become a family practice. Loved it. Will come back to it again and again.
Tory
I was really excited to find this book, but was disappointed. I heartily agree that children are capable of practicing mindfulness and the benefits to such a practice are huge. I gave this book a low rating because it is poorly organized. It lacked a much needed "how to use this book" chapter, as well as an explanation of to use the CD that was included.
Alison Steiner
I'd have loved to see the content organised in a more logical, user-friendly way. Bits of it tended to be 'waffley' and repetitive. Some good, simple activities however I would have preferred for this book to have been co-written with a classroom educator as not all of the concepts, as presented here, translate well into a contempory, secular classroom.
This was a really great book about helping children live mindfully. I have already started implementing some of the ideas with my kids, such as breathing when they hear the bell, and while a few of the activities were a tad hokey for me, I think this is a great resource for helping parents raise thoughtful, compassionate kids.
Stephanie
This is beautiful book has so much encouragement for incorporating mindfulness into the home or classroom, for young children to teenagers to adults, and it is easy to work into any spiritual or religious (or not) setting. The accompanying CD is a lovely bonus.
Tina Carstensen Lopez
Good ideas for sharing Buddhist practice with children. It's not a secular mindfulness book by any means.
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
I really enjoyed this book. It has easy and interesting things to keep in mind while talking to kids, and exercises to do with young kids of different ages to help them quiet their mind and live in the moment.
Michelle Karow
I am a mother, behaviour and yoga therapist, I got this book to share with children in my yoga classes, mindfulness will help create peace in all. My 10 year old son appreciates the poems and asks to read them daily.
Christine Word
This book changed the way I approach parenting, and to some extent, sent ripples through my whole world view. As a new mother, I am forever grateful to have found this excellent guide.
Ashley
Jan 03, 2014 Ashley marked it as to-read
on p 45
Cherlyn
Full of wonderful & practical ways to get kids interested in meditation & mindfulness. Have already started using the techniques.
Shelley
A must-read for every parent.
Kimberly
Beautiful in every way.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Dylan High
Dylan High marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Viviana Puebla
Viviana Puebla marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Ryan Hayes
Ryan Hayes marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • My Mother Wears Combat Boots: A Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • Little Flower Yoga for Kids: A Yoga and Mindfulness Program to Help Your Child Improve Attention and Emotional Balance
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Peaceful Piggy Meditation
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • Not Under My Roof: Parents, Teens, and the Culture of Sex
  • How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness
  • It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace