Start by marking “Quietus” as Want to Read:
Quietus

Quietus

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Moments before the crash of her chartered flight, Kylie O'Rourke sees a raven perched on the plane's wing, as still as death, staring at her. Regaining consciousness in a Boston hospital, Kylie finds herself haunted by unnerving memories of the crash, of the survivors, and the rescuers--and when her fellow survivors start dying one-by-one, she knows she's living on borrowe ...more
Published September 6th 2005 by Onyx (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Quietus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quietus

Zeek
Scarey book- with a sad note.

As this was a suggestion by a beloved friend of mine, I was anxious to read it, and it wasn't disappointing. This read lent to the mystical/horror realm, although not obnoxiously so. (Not a huge horror fan here!)

Quietus is a sad story of one woman (Kylie O'Rourke) trying to come to grips with the fact that she's seeing ghosts and magical beings that others are not. After surviving a plain crash in which all died except she, her husband, her best friend, her best frie
Kirsten
You know that movie, what's it called? "Final Destination?" Where the kids avoid death in a plane crash, but are then "stalked" by death because they were supposed to have died? This is book is kind of like that, except smarter.

After Kylie O'Rourke, her husband Jack, and her best friends narrowly escape death in a plane crash, Kylie can't shake the feeling that something weird is going on. Her psychiatrist tells her that the strange experiences she recalls having prior to their rescue from the w
Laura Buechler
Very intriguing story, but cripes, this woman can't write for shit. And her editor sucks too. I've spotted so many grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors ... this is the kind of thing that really detracts from the reading experience for me. It's also the reason (well, one of them) that I want to become an editor. A few examples of problems I've noted:
'She didn't want to wear a straightjacket.'
'The room was heavily gaurded.'
And my favourite (look closely...)
' "Wait for me" she shouted.'

ICK.
Kayzee Jusayan
Did not like this book at all. I think it started out with a good idea and turned into a cheesy almost-romance novel. Plus it was just too long. It took forever to get to the ending.
Lara
This book had an interesting premise, but at 600 pages it was too long and tried to do too much. At the end, it didn't feel like the pieces all fit together quite right.
Hannah S.
The premise of this book was interesting, but I had to force myself through it. It's over 600 pages and could have been written in less than half of that. All the action happens in the beginning and the entire rest of the book is the main character and her friend being scared of dying while everyone else thinks they are crazy. There are completely unnecessary side stories that barely add anything to the plot or even the character development and the writing is horrible. The same descriptions wer ...more
Nancy Oakes
What a great story!!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend this book for people who really enjoy creepy stories...this one will haunt you totally.

Kylie and Jack, two of their friends are part of a group on a charter plane leaving a peaceful ski vacation. The pilot takes off in a storm and the plane crashes. The wreckage is found by a local and the four friends and one of the other occupants are pulled out and rescued in the nick of time.

In the hospital, Kylie is the worst off of all of them, and remembers
Gina
This book was nowhere near as scary or compelling as the blurbs on the back claim. At least the beginning was exciting. The plot immediately throws you into a brutal plane crash, which our protagonist and her friends barely survive. Things get even more tense when she begins to suspect that they weren't supposed to make it after all, and maybe something is trying to correct that mistake. Yes, it's the rehashed "Death will get you no matter what" plotline evident in half a dozen Final Destination ...more
KimberlyDawn
I didn't realize how good of a read it was until I tried reading other books. Nothing has really compared to the psychological intensity and sanity questioning that Schilling portrays in this novel. I had a hard time putting it down and then - due to it's length - made it my mission to finish it. Schilling could have ended the book a couple of different times but decided to move on. At first I became frustrated because it didn't end then she had me flipping through pages with an intense desire t ...more
Jyv
Feb 23, 2008 Jyv rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This book was annoying. It was way too wordy - several hundred pages in small font and much of it totally unnecessary mush. It was full of stereotypical characters, was predictable and ultimately unsatisfying.
Janet
Where is the cell phone and what happened to Amelia's husband. Guess he didnt care enough to come to her funeral and just left the book? Serious writing flaws.
Mimi
My rating of this book is slightly deceptive. The story itself I give 2 stars, but I added an extra star for quality writing, page-turning suspense and interesting historical information. It's just that the story made me think more about death than I really wanted to!

I guess I should have known from the very beginning by the title -- Quietus is defined as "1. a finishing stroke; 2. discharge or release from life; 3. the moment of death". It says so right on the front flap! ...And she really mean
Ana T.
I am a bit at odds with most of the reviews I read of this book. While I enjoyed the story I thought it lacked the creepiness to keep me up at night and the fast pace to make it a successful thriller.

Kylie, her husband Jack and friends Amelia and Dix are all involved in a plane crash. They survive with some injuries but none of them has any special recollection of the event except for Kylie - who remembers waking up in the snow with the others, arriving at a cabin and meeting some supernatural p
Virginie
I truly have a problem here, I don't know how to rate this book...I cannot say that I did not like it, I really did enjoy reading it but it was so dark, so gloomy , so heavy an atmosphere, actually it made me very uneasy at times.......It had a very , very strong impact on my mood.My husband told me I was much agitated at night ,kicking in bed , moaning, evidently having nightmares !!!!!

The aircraft crash scene at the beginning terrified me,I mean absolutely terrified me , probably because of my
Chrissy
Kylie and her husband, along with another couple catch a ride on a small chartered flight with a group of lawyers. When the plane heads into a storm and crashes in the mountains, life takes a bizarre twist for the occupants. Memories of a raven sitting on the wing of the plane as it crashed, a long trek through the forest to a cabin and coming upon her own body in the twisted wreck haunt Kylie as she comes to grips with her experience. When a handsome stranger who is vaguely familiar shows up, t ...more
Anita
Wow, what a strange book. I give it stars for the effort towards originality, and I can appreciate its darkness; however, I take away stars for the long-windedness of the descriptions, the emotions, and a whole lot of repetitive detail. It's kind of like "Final Destination" -- some passengers on a plane that crashed are really supposed to be dead, but then get rescued -- but the horror of it all gets muted in excessive rumination. There are some really bizarre sub-plots too, and those don't alwa ...more
Clariesse Jami
Bought this when I was in HS. Read it again now. It was kind of "Final Destination-ish" (I'm not sure which one came first). It had a mix of supernatural and religious themes. There were also a lot of side stories which made the book all the more interesting (and long). Although dark and somewhat depressing at some instances, it was still a good read.

Unexpected twist at the end but the epilogue was still a tad disappointing.
Andria
Lost interest, not finished...
Renee
Simply amazing. This is one of those rare books that I hated life getting in the way of my reading. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. Now, I'm sad it's over.
Louvaine
Well this was a weird one-and not like what I usually read at all. Unsettling tale of angels taking those who have survived death (Final Destination, anyone?). Curious to see how it ended, relieved when it did. The thing that sticks with me is the description of the angel sculptures she acquires. I imagine they have the same presence as the sculpture shown in the train station in Witness (only a little more chilling).
Katie H
Tipsy Pixy
I really loved this book, I really did...at least until I read the ending....the last two chapters are horrible. The book goes from being chilling and well thought out to super happy, to the point that it is sickening. I hated the ending and wish she would have not written it. So, my suggestion is: read it, enjoy it, but leave out the last couple of chapters and make up your own.
Glynis
This was a fairly well-written suspense book. Plot was well thought out, and it was creepy enough to give me the chills in a few places. However, there are a ton of editing mistakes! Don't know how they slipped by, but by the end of the 500 page book, I was getting quite bugged by it!
Brittany Dunaj
Although I had read this before......I want to read it again. From the beginning to the end..I loved every bit of it. Though,I will be honest, I cried when Amelia died. And at the funeral for her,when Kylie looks at the front yard and sees herself and Amelia playing as little children.
Redrosevertigo0
This felt like two or three books smashed into one long wordy one. Parts were interesting but more parts long winded and repetitive. And I don't care how lonely you are and how hot the ghost is; you wouldn't knowingly sleep with a dead man.
Aepril
This is one of my all-time favorites--profound and creepy, erotic---explores questions of life and eath, time, sexual attraction, angel and demons. Just beautiful and very original.
"Gothic w/o the 'goth' trappings", as one reviewer said. Yes.
Jordyn
Ok, so this book was really good, I liked it, despite all the religious stuff. It creeped me out though, I had trouble sleeping for the longest time. But, if any of you come to me saying you see Angels of Death and all that, I will believe you.
Lisa Greer
Jan 05, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thriller lovers
I wish Schilling would write some more. :) This novel was gripping. I finished it in a day and a half. It's horror and mystery. A woman almost dies but the novel doesn't end there. Can she really cheat death, or will it come for her again soon?
Randy Holmberg
This book was very interesting. It was a tad too long, but I liked that it kept you involved. I would classify it as a drama meets horror. People who like the idea of the final destination movies would be interested in this book.
Brian
A good story overall, but this book needed a better editor. Not only was it frequently repetitive and the plot needlessly circular, but the author's inability to properly use commas and other common writing devices was distracting.
  • Coldwater
  • The Return of the Earl (Botany Bay, #1)
  • The Amnesiac
  • Discipline: A Novel
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Ghosts/Aliens
  • Park City: New and Selected Stories
  • Information Anxiety 2 (Hayden/Que)
  • Plenty Enough Suck to Go Around