Start by marking “Don't Say That Word!” as Want to Read:
Don't Say That Word!

Don't Say That Word!

In Art my pal Richie got inky.
But Mom, that was only the start.
'Cause Richie then made the room stinky
by blasting a really big...

Laugh out loud with the bestselling team who brought us Take Me Out of the Bat
Published June 26th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Say That Word!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Say That Word!

Apr 02, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was so cute. Michael kept trying to say some bad words but he was always interrupted. There is one word that he couldn't say but I don't see the problem with it. Of course, it's a rhyming word and it fit but why couldn't he say b..p (rhymes with chirp)
Sep 12, 2012 Lara rated it did not like it
Wow, there are so many things wrong with this book. For starters, the cover has Michael sitting on a "time out" box in the corner with soap in his mouth. When was the last time you saw or heard of someone using soap to discipline their child? I knew right then that this was going to be the perfect "bad" book to use for a class assignment to find a children's book that is really not appropriate to read to children.
Why is the parent always screaming, "DON'T SAY THAT WORD!"? No conversation as to
May 14, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids age 8-10
Shelves: children-and-ya
I am a huge fan of illustrator David Catrow, and I particularly enjoyed two of his previous collaborations with Alan Katz -- the alternate-lyrics books Take Me Out of the Bathtub and I'm Still Here in the Bathtub.

For Don't Say That Word! Catrow and Katz take their goofery to new heights -- or perhaps new lows would be a more apt term. This fun, crazy book is all about potty humor.

Each spread features a devilish-looking redheaded boy telling his mom the various misadventures that occurred during
Whole And
To be honest, I don't normally include or rate books here that I feel should not be read, at all. However, I'm making an exception in this case and making a strong point that "Don't Say That Word" completely unnerves me. My daughter, for some reason, was attracted to this book on one of our recent trips to the library. Most of the time, I follow her lead and go down the path she takes me.

I realized, while reading this book, that every page and rhyme are completely opposed to everything I put int
Michelle McBeth
Once again I had mixed feelings about this Alan Katz book that is really just a potty humor story alongside a don't-parent-this-way story. The blurb for this book says, "Michael can't wait to tell his mom all about his day at school. But how can he, when she keeps stopping him before he gets to the best part?" He keeps trying to tell her about his day, but she interrupts when she realizes a naughty word is coming. For Mom, naughty words are toilet, burp, poop and fart. And for punishment, Michae ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Katz, Alan, and David Catrow. Don't Say That Word! New York: Margaret K. McElderry, 2007. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read:

Don't Say That Word by Alan Katz illustrated by David Catrow is an excellent picture book that is perfect for children in Kindergarten through 3rd grade. Michael is trying to tell his mom what happened in school today, but the stories that are important to him, like many boys his age, all have to do with body functions or
If kids don't giggle and respond to this book, I am not sure what will capture their attention...Don't Say That Word! is sure to get their bellies laughing and their heads spinning, as the precocious boy tells his mother about his day at school.

Full of boogers, barf, butts, and farts, Michael is begging to get his mouth washed out with soap...that is until, his mother is just about to utter the one word that Michael will not tolerate. Come on, you know it, every mother does.

" Well, Michael...

Jun 10, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

I'm not putting this book on the list for a couple of reasons. First off, I don't understand why the kid in the book couldn't say the words he was trying to say. They are perfectly acceptable, as in not curse words. Secondly, I don't like the idea of making a big deal out of vocabulary descriptions when children are still learning words. It should be they use the slightly impolite tho
Wendy Jones
This book is really funny. I read it to a little boy and he laughed the whole time. The boy in the book, Michael, begins to tell his mom about his day at school and all sorts of crazy things happened. When he begins to say certain words his mother yells "DON'T SAY THAT WORD!" Although I don't think I would use this book for a whole group lesson, I think it would be good to have in my classroom library because once students get to a point where they are comprehending well and understanding rhymin ...more
May 05, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
This book was a tad bit too crude for my liking. And the illustrations definitely fit in with that theme, sometimes they were a little too much for me to handle and I had to turn the pages quickly. I'm pretty sure that I would not recommend this book, there are other wonderful books out there that have better content.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Jun 02, 2011 Stefani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-picture
I read this a while ago and was shocked to discover it's not on my goodreads list!

Anyway, this is one of my standing favorites. It's just gross enough that kids love it. My favorite time was reading it, then my niece would say that "bad" word that came next, then I would yell the "Don't say that word!" Ah, fun, dirty words. (The best part is they're not really dirty, but burp, fart, toilet, etc are still fun.)
Carey Hanson
Nov 22, 2011 Carey Hanson rated it liked it
Shelves: t-and-l-544
2007 - poetry

This book was a very cute book. Told in rhyme, Michael is trying to tell his mother about his day but every time he starts to say an impolite word, his mother interrupts him. It was fun trying to figure out which "bad word" will end his little rhymes.
And I love any book illustrated by David Catrow.
Philippa Rae
Jun 18, 2013 Philippa Rae rated it really liked it
This book is a bit naughty for preschool children and some parents of children in this age group might think that it will encourage their children to be rude. However I like the dark humour and I thought it was great. Great illustrations although perhaps the theme and it's overall presentation are better suited to a slightly older age group
Feb 12, 2010 Dina rated it it was amazing
The kids love this book. They wont let me turn the page and they keep telling me to say it!!!! Basically this little boy is telling his mom about his day at school, and before he can complete the sentence the mom tells him "Dont Say that Word", mainly because it isnt a word that you want your kid to go around saying like "booger, barf, butt, burp"
Jan 31, 2012 Dona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
I love David Catrow's books. He collaborates with some creative geniuses. That being said, I am also careful about who I recommend his very funny books too. In atleast one other book besides this one he leads the reader down a windy path of words that rhyme with "butt" which is always intensely funny to children of all ages including teenagers and seemingly full grown adults.
Brittany Harper
This entertaining book tells the story of Michael, a young boy who just wants to tell his mom about his day but he can't because every time he gets to the best part, his mom stops him and tells him not to say "that word".

Activity: Students can write about something their parents won't let them do.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
May 29, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Michael is trying to tell his mom about his day at school but she keeps screaming, "Don't say that word!" when he gets to the best parts. Catrow's quirky illustrations add even more humor to this funny tale.
Nov 16, 2013 Dustin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The art wins over this book for me. Another Catrow piece that really adds the flair to a humorous tale. Some of the words the boy cannot say were a little 'egh', but it would be fun read for kids if you acted out the mother's voice shrilly and snappy.
Sep 02, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book! You supply the 'word' to fit the rhyme. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have read this to my son the week before he starts preschool! Oh well, hopefully he won't remember any of the rhymes!
Jan 10, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Detailed and busy (but in a good way) illustrations that are cartoonish and look Helquist-esque. Funny story good for predicting and inferring what the "bad" word is through rhyme and picture.
Maybe 3.5
Connie Harrison
Apr 28, 2010 Connie Harrison rated it liked it
I'm tempted to try this as a read aloud but each spread has a rhyme with the last word missing, albeit obvious. I'm worried that the kids will shout it out. (So much for my classroom management skills.)
Sep 08, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book to read with kids and get them excited about school and reading...all while saying a few "yucky" words! The pictures are very well done and offer some great clues and additional insight for understanding the story.
Feb 16, 2013 Amy! marked it as picture-books
I tried using this in one of my storytimes, and I think the rhymes are a little too subtle for a large group of four year olds to figure out what the censored words are. I think it would be hilarious one on one so you could help the kiddo figure out what's going on, but it's not for storytime.
Mar 07, 2009 Kassie rated it it was amazing
Micheal, the little boy in the story, keeps getting cut off by his mother before he gets to tell her about his day! This is a very cute book that children will like to read. It's fun to guess what micheal is trying to say before his mother cuts him off! This book is a good read for ages 5-11.
Michelle Kelley
Feb 10, 2016 Michelle Kelley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Kids will love it for the pure delight of, despite the title and story's warning, getting to say, "barf, butt, crappy, fart" and other potty-humor words. Not my cup of tea, but one can say it really forces kids to pay attention to the rhyme scheme to figure out the word that shouldn't be said.
Oct 07, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious! The kids will be pointing and laughing at the pictures. The kids will love guessing what the word is that Michael is not allowed to say, and it has a surprising ending...
Feb 11, 2015 Jenn rated it did not like it
None of these words--"toilet," "poop," "fart"--is a bad word, yet the mother in this story screams at her child for saying them. What would she prefer her kid say in lieu of "poop"?
Ms. Chapman
Sep 24, 2012 Ms. Chapman rated it it was amazing
I love reading this one out loud to Grade 2/3 classes. You really figure out who is listening when they start giggling! A perfect silly read!
Jun 01, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it
This is my 4 year old nephew's favorite book to read before he goes to bed. He loves repeating "Don't say that word!" It's a fun book that gets lots of giggles from him.
Oct 09, 2009 Jadin rated it really liked it
I read this at story hour and the kids, parents and I all loved it. I love everything Alan Katz does and it doesn't hurt that he has illustrations by David Catrow.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Bedhead
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Falling for Rapunzel