Start by marking “Dark Entries” as Want to Read:
Dark Entries

Dark Entries

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Sewn signatures, printed on 110gsm acid-free paper, and bound by Biddles in bergundy wibalin cloth stamped in gilt and silver, with a silk ribbon marker and head and tailbands. 350 copies.
(Out of print).

Contents:
"Introduction by Glen Cavaliero, "The School Friend", "Ringing the Changes", "Choice of Weapons", "The Waiting Room", "The View" and "Bind Your Hair".

As Dr Glen C
Hardcover, 1st Tartarus edition, 197 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Tartarus Press (first published June 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Entries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Entries

Charlene
Sep 14, 2014 Charlene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charlene by: James Everington
Shelves: short-stories
This was a strange, but interesting collection!

I've been hearing from a number of other readers I trust that Robert Aickman's stories are fantastic. I was recently presented with the opportunity to pick up a few of his collections for free, and I jumped at the chance. Since Dark Entries won the September Monthly Read poll at the Literary Horror group on Goodreads, I started this one first.

These are NOT horror stories. Some of them hardly even seem to be stories at all...they're more like window
Simon
Normally when I review one of Robert Aickman's collections, I ramble on about his masterful craftmanship of strange tales, his lush and supple prose, talking much about the author's style in general. But I'm not going to do that this time. Let's face it, if you're thinking of picking this book up you are already a hardened fan. Unless you're extraordinarily lucky to discover this tucked away out the back of some dusty old second-hand store, you're paying a lot of money for one of these fine but ...more
Karl
Robert Aickman is quite the writer. When he is good he is amazing. He has the ability to paint masterpieces with words. His characters can be extremely complex and humanly vulnerable.

The story I most enjoyed in "Dark Entries" (His second collection of stories following "We Are for the Dark: Six Ghost Stories") is the story called "The View" (Which was originally printed in his first collection "Six Ghost Stories"). The story concerns the protagonist a gentleman named Carfax a vulnerable and exh
Florina
Well, I certainly have new material for my nightmares.
Perhaps the best aspect of these short stories are not the plots in themselves, but the writing. Truly, Aickman strikes fear through his prose, not his events. His sentences are so elegant, so chilling, so clear yet so confusing, that you will find yourself thinking it must be some shortcoming of yours that you did not read between the lines. In actuality, that's the warranted effect.
Any action seems to exist solely to complement the writin
Ctgt
I've been on a real Aickman kick recently having just finished The Wine-Dark Sea I heard about a group read for this title and decided to join the discussion. This collection definitely had a "darker"(no pun intended) feel than Wine-Dark but I still wouldn't really call this horror. Weird, yes. Bizarre, absolutely. Loaded with subtext, without a doubt. I did enjoy this collection a bit more than Wine-Dark but that is directly related to all the discussion during the group read. I truly believe A ...more
Julie
In a very welcome move, Faber are marking the centenary of Robert Aickman's birth by republishing some of his classic collections of 'strange stories' along with his two full-length novels. For many years his work has been hard to find, available only as high-end collectors editions from the Tartarus Press, or as print on demand via Faber Finds, but these were marred by poor OCR and subsequent misprints. I'm not completely convinced by the new editions - the text has been entirely reset in a ver ...more
Brucifer
This was the first of what I already know will be several excursions into the world of Robert Aickman, who--along with Ramsey Campbell--is almost universally acknowledged amongst critics as the finest writer of horror fiction of the latter half of the 20th century. Well, finally I took the plunge thanks to these nice new Faber & Faber paperback editions of his previously difficult-to-locate work, and I decided to start with his earliest solo collection. I have to agree that I'm mightily impr ...more
Roy Elmer
I had never heard of Robert Aickman, but it seems to me that it's safe to say that few people have. He's not Shirley Jackson, she of the haunted houses, or Lovecraft, with his twisted Cthulu. He is something altogether different and dare I say it, a little more refined than both of these behemoths of horror / dark fantasy fiction.

Robert Aickman's work is thoroughly English. Not contemporary English perhaps, but a reflection of the England of our grandfathers. A certain amount of emotional repres
Joe Gola
A good collection of dark supernatural tales. There is an enjoyable strain of surrealism throughout—the writing is full of strange, unexplained details that are not integral to the stories but which evoke a mysterious atmosphere that enhances them nonetheless. Even in the broad details it is sometimes left to our imaginations to piece together what exactly has happened, but this ambiguity adds to the charm rather than detracting from it.

With the exception of a couple of good-old-fashioned ghost
Dark Matter
C J Dee reviewed the Girl with All the Gifts; for more reviews by C J, see C J Dee on Dark Matter Zine.

Within this book you will find,
short stories of an unusual kind, (“Oy, verse.”)
The author preferred to call them ‘strange’,
to properly reflect his range,
Strange indeed are these stories – all six,
but within them you’ll get your fix,
Whether ghosties and ghoulies make your blood cold,
or a twisted tale you’d rather be told,
Mr Aickman has a taste for you,
just be sure his creatures don’t too.

I got
Jonathan Mills
This is the first in a series of new editions of Robert Aickman's work published by Faber & Faber this year, to celebrate the centenary of his birth.

They're really beautifully produced - the cover illustrations are by Tim McDonagh - and come with introductions, afterwords and admiring quotes from such luminaries as Kim Newman, Neil Gaiman and Reece Shearsmith.

If, like me, you'd never heard of Aickman, and you're a fan of MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu, Nigel Kneale, Susan Hill, etc., then I thi
Tim
Robert Aickman, a master of the "strange" indeed.

To anyone who's read this book: please PM me with thoughts on how to interpret "The School Friend", "The View", "Bind Your Hair" and particularly "Choice of Weapons". Yes folks, that's 4 out of the 6 stories in this bundle that had me going "Whoa, wait, what?". Gotta tell you, that sort of stings for a 28 year old bookworm like myself.

I simply followed Mr. Gaiman's advice on the blurb, and I guess I got a little more "strange" than I bargained fo
Kim Everett
The stories in this book are varied in subject but all create a deep sense of unease. They aren't horror stories as such but they seem to tap into something subconscious and toy with it, making you shift uneasily in your seat. I loved this collection and found I wanted to read more. Fortunately there are two more collections currently in print! I really do recommend this book.
David Hambling
A collection of eerie, twisted tricksy tales: the conclusion may leave you baffled, but not dissatisfied. Not your conventional horror, and you can see why he didn't like being classed as a horror,writer. Genre-busting quality stuff.
Geraldine
I bought this because I heard a radio documentary about Aickman describing him as "the best author you've never heard of", and that his stories were a truly chilling example of the horror genre.

I'm afraid to say that this collection of short stories didn't really convince me of any of that. Aickman died in the 1980s, and I found all of these stories difficult to date from the descriptions of dress, technology and general attitude of the characters. The stories are very much like those of M R Jam
John Hepple
My second excursion into the bleak, grim world of Robert Aickman. As with Cold Hand In Mine I was staggered by the sheer magnificence of the writing. Aickman was the master of slow-building unease and the classic 'Ringing The Changes' is just a case in point.
Sonja Trbojevic
I haven't read all the stories in this collection, as I began to struggle to keep my attention on them about half-way through. I will pick this up again.
Todd Robottom
Beautifully written in an old English style ( think H G Wells ). Unconventionally strange with stories that stay with you for days after reading. I cannot think of a better writer in terms of ambience and mood. A solid quick read.
David Blanar
Dark, eerie and atmospheric – delicious.
Heidi
Oct 22, 2014 Heidi marked it as to-read
Recommended by Slightly Foxed
Adam Clark
A wonderful selection of stories, of which I've only read one, 'Bind Your Hair', before. Aickman's writing is a joy to read, precise and economical, and without the many typos and punctuation errors which make the Faber Finds volumes of Aickman stories so difficult to enjoy.
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Carl Jones
Carl Jones is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Abby Ellis
Abby Ellis marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Lee Jones
Lee Jones is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Robert Aickman Re...: Dark Entries: Curious and Macabre Ghost Stories (1964) 7 22 May 16, 2012 03:27PM
  • The White Hands and Other Weird Tales
  • The Dark Domain
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • The White People and Other Weird Stories
  • A Dream of Armageddon
Author of: close to 50 "strange stories" in the weird-tale and ghost-story traditions, two novels (The Late Breakfasters and The Model), two volumes of memoir (The Attempted Rescue and The River Runs Uphill), and two books on the canals of England (Know Your Waterways and The Story of Our Inland Waterways).

Co-founder and longtime president of the Inland Waterways Association, an organization that
More about Robert Aickman...
Cold Hand in Mine: Strange Stories The Wine-Dark Sea Painted Devils The Unsettled Dust The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman: I

“There are no beautiful houses in England now. Only ruins, mental homes, and Government offices.” 1 likes