Start by marking “Writing Movies” as Want to Read:
Writing Movies

Writing Movies

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
To break into the screenwriting game, you need a screenplay that is not just good, but great. Superlative. Stellar. In Writing Movies you'll find everything you need to know to reach this level. And, like the very best teachers, Writing Movies is always practical, accessible, and entertaining.
The book provides a comprehensive look at screenwriting, covering all the fundam
Published September 19th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published July 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Movies

Virginia Jacobs
Apr 13, 2013 Virginia Jacobs rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
This book is written by several different authors. I would have liked some information on the authors so I'd know how to value what they were saying.

The tone of the book was very literary. For example, on p. 25, in discussing Orson Welles and his dedication to the craft of storytelling, as well as his daring choices in Citizen Cane, Alexander Steele says: Orson Welles wasn't a know-it-all. He was a student, a human sponge who absorbed everything around him then let it rain down in a fresh way.
Eric
Jan 11, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
An awesome book on how to write screenplays. I used this book in/for my screenwriting class in college, it's very thorough and helpful, a definite must for anyone curious or pursuing a degree in film or screenwriting!
Rachel
Oct 20, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
"Persistent of Vision...
Be patient & persistent! Eventually everything you learn will blur together in your mind as a wondrous and flowing whoe reality, it will." page 28

love the reading.

Tom
Jun 12, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly helpful, and pretty awesome
Jamie
Apr 02, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. After reading Robert McKee's "Story" I really didn't think any other book on screenwriting could come close. This book is awesome. It is wonderful to get different perspectives, plus "Writing Movies" fills in some gaps left by my study of "Story." I didn't know about the format of a screenplay and what to do once you have written the darn thing. Well, now I do. Thanks to the Gotham Writers' Workshop, and to my friend Huy for recommending it.
Jerjonji
May 10, 2010 Jerjonji rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
In the past five years, I've read most of the important books about screenplay writing, but this one clicked with me. From the opening sentence, I got it. It was so helpful that I am mourning returning to it the library! Written simply, with useable exercises, it forces you to look at your work, piece by piece, as if you were actually taking the screenwriting workshop with the authors- practical, insightful, critical for anyone learning to write screenplays on their own!
Elliot Richards
Jun 02, 2013 Elliot Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best screenwriting books I've read by a long shot, it's full of practical advice and very well put together. It's a great read too, and I enjoy dipping in and out. I like the fact that each chapter is written by someone else and they all have their own style which keeps it interesting. I borrowed a copy before buying my own, there are so many books out there that it's hard to know which ones resonate with you and which ones are complete rubbish.
Rebecca
Oct 28, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
There are several typos in this book, which is a pet peeve of mine, but it's a solid resource that uses five iconic and diverse films -- Die Hard (the blockbuster), Thelma & Louise (the character dramedy), Tootsie (the comedy), Sideways (the indie) and The Shawshank Redemption (the wild card) -- to illustrate how fundamental screenwriting principles can be adapted to a wide variety of stories.
Raul Duarte
Jul 14, 2015 Raul Duarte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: escritura
Un gran libro que nos introduce al guión cinematográfico, muy claro y con consejos útiles. Cada capitulo esta escrito por una persona diferente, por lo que hay variedad en cuestión de puntos de vista.

Recomendado para los que quieren empezar en este mundo.
Andrew
Nov 27, 2007 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: screenwriters
I read a few books on screen writing before I dived into it, and this one stood head and shoulders above the rest. Easy to follow, with plenty of clear examples, I not only learned from this book, I enjoyed reading it. Buy this book and a copy of Final Draft and get writing!
Cindy Lapeña
Dec 05, 2013 Cindy Lapeña rated it really liked it
Lots of useful information. Because each chapter is written by a different writer, you get different perspectives. Provides jargon that would otherwise stymie the newbie.
Stephen
Jan 09, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for script writing.
Jane
Oct 22, 2008 Jane rated it really liked it
A great guide. Straighforward, clear, practical.
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Heet Rathod
Heet Rathod is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2016
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jan Kalina
Jan Kalina is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2016
Tyler
Tyler added it
Jul 26, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Malcolm Everett
Malcolm Everett marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Ana Grau
Ana Grau marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Tyler Coughlin
Tyler Coughlin rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Kayla Maroon
Kayla Maroon is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Fernando
Fernando marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Dan Anderson
Dan Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Ciaran Rogers
Ciaran Rogers rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Mauricio
Mauricio marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • The Complete Book of Scriptwriting
  • Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • The Screenwriter's Workbook
  • Writing Subtext: What Lies Beneath
  • The Hollywood Standard: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Script Format and Style
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • From Where You Dream: The Process of Writing Fiction
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC
  • Iterate And Optimize: Optimize Your Creative Business for Profit (The Smarter Artist Book 3)
  • Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights
  • The Career Novelist: A Literary Agent Offers Strategies for Success
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • Chaos, Territory, Art: Deleuze and the Framing of the Earth
  • Plot
  • Writing Screenplays That Sell: The Complete, Step-By-Step Guide for Writing and Selling to the Movies and TV, from Story Concept to Development Deal