Writing Movies

Writing Movies

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  9 reviews
To break into the screenwriting game, you need a screenplay that is not just good, but great. Superlative. Stellar. Writing Movies provides everything you need to know to reach this level. In a single book. And, like the very best teachers, Writing Movies is always practical, accessible, and entertaining. Inside you'll find: Explanations of the fundamental elements of scre...more
Published September 19th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published July 7th 2006)

Virginia Jacobs
This book is written by several different authors. I would have liked some information on the authors so I'd know how to value what they were saying.

The tone of the book was very literary. For example, on p. 25, in discussing Orson Welles and his dedication to the craft of storytelling, as well as his daring choices in Citizen Cane, Alexander Steele says: Orson Welles wasn't a know-it-all. He was a student, a human sponge who absorbed everything around him then let it rain down in a fresh way....more
Jamie
This is an amazing book. After reading Robert McKee's "Story" I really didn't think any other book on screenwriting could come close. This book is awesome. It is wonderful to get different perspectives, plus "Writing Movies" fills in some gaps left by my study of "Story." I didn't know about the format of a screenplay and what to do once you have written the darn thing. Well, now I do. Thanks to the Gotham Writers' Workshop, and to my friend Huy for recommending it.
Jerjonji
In the past five years, I've read most of the important books about screenplay writing, but this one clicked with me. From the opening sentence, I got it. It was so helpful that I am mourning returning to it the library! Written simply, with useable exercises, it forces you to look at your work, piece by piece, as if you were actually taking the screenwriting workshop with the authors- practical, insightful, critical for anyone learning to write screenplays on their own!
Elliot Richards
One of the best screenwriting books I've read by a long shot, it's full of practical advice and very well put together. It's a great read too, and I enjoy dipping in and out. I like the fact that each chapter is written by someone else and they all have their own style which keeps it interesting. I borrowed a copy before buying my own, there are so many books out there that it's hard to know which ones resonate with you and which ones are complete rubbish.
Rebecca
There are several typos in this book, which is a pet peeve of mine, but it's a solid resource that uses five iconic and diverse films -- Die Hard (the blockbuster), Thelma & Louise (the character dramedy), Tootsie (the comedy), Sideways (the indie) and The Shawshank Redemption (the wild card) -- to illustrate how fundamental screenwriting principles can be adapted to a wide variety of stories.
Andrew
Nov 27, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: screenwriters
I read a few books on screen writing before I dived into it, and this one stood head and shoulders above the rest. Easy to follow, with plenty of clear examples, I not only learned from this book, I enjoyed reading it. Buy this book and a copy of Final Draft and get writing!
Cindy Lapeña
Lots of useful information. Because each chapter is written by a different writer, you get different perspectives. Provides jargon that would otherwise stymie the newbie.
Stephen
An excellent resource for script writing.
Jane
A great guide. Straighforward, clear, practical.
Keeley Denisar
Keeley Denisar is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Ruse
Ruse marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
James White
James White marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Dm
Dm marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Madison Dugger
Madison Dugger marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide from New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School Moby Dog (Adventures of Wishbone, #10) Case of the Unsolved Case (Wishbone Mysteries, #13) Tale of the Missing Mascot (Wishbone Mysteries #4) The Last of the Breed (Adventures of Wishbone, #16)