Start by marking “If You Give a Dog a Donut” as Want to Read:
If You Give a Dog a Donut

If You Give a Dog a Donut (If You Give...)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,399 Ratings  ·  264 Reviews
If you give a dog a donut, he’ll ask for some apple juice to go with it.

When you give him the juice, he’ll drink it all up.

Then, before you can say “Woof” . . . Dog is off on a backyard adventure!

The exuberant dog who first appeared in if you give a pig a party is now the star of his very own book. Written in the irresistible “If You Give…” tradition, if you give a dog a d
Published October 4th 2011 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about If You Give a Dog a Donut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Give a Dog a Donut

Lisa Vegan
Oct 20, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
I really like the “If You Give a…” books, and I love dogs and (vegan) donuts and alliteration. I do like the books in this series where the animal and the item start with the same letter, and so far my favorite of the books is (I think) the first one I ever read: Moose/Muffin. So, I love Dog being coupled with Donut.

I’m not sure this deserves a full 4 star rating, but I really liked it. The anthropomorphizing of the dog to the extent it was done didn’t really appeal to me. But, I love the way on
Kayla Edwards
Mar 01, 2016 Kayla Edwards rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Finally got around to reading this one. It was okay - if I had never read Numeroff's other books, I feel that I would have enjoyed it more. Unfortunately, this just pales in comparison to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. That said, it's still a cute book that my kids enjoyed.
Amy
Oct 18, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great consistency as with the other "If you give" books. Sometimes I wonder if this pattern has been over done by Numeroff, but kids love the silliness of the needy animals as main characters. And older ones like me can try to figure out how Numeroff will trace the reader back to the original problem of giving the character something only to have him want more. Personally, I think I would be a great main character for a new story entitled "If you give your wife a $20.
Brittany McCarty
Mar 28, 2016 Brittany McCarty rated it liked it
If You Give a Dog a Donut
Laura Numeroff
Scholastic Inc., 2011, 29 pages, Children’s Fiction, grade level 1, Lexile Level 430, GR level: I
This book is another book in the series of “If You Give a…” written by Laura Numeroff. This version begins with a young boy giving a dog a donut and having the dog ask for juice to accompany it. The book then continues with the dog connecting the apple juice to apple trees and wanting to go pick more apples to make juice. When the dog is outside, it will want to
Sara C
Nov 12, 2014 Sara C rated it really liked it
Summary: This book was very cute. Gives you step by step what happens when a dog asks for a donut. It starts with the dog asking for a donut and that leads to something else each time which eventually leads you back to donuts. It is a fun book that will keep you guessing!

Activity: This book is for younger ages and I would do a sequencing activity. In this book, everything the dog does leads to something else. After we finish reading the book, I would ask them what the dog did next. For example,
Hannah
Dec 02, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
This cute, sequential tale tells how a simple request for apple juice can lead to an adventure. In typical Numeroff style, an easily distracted dog takes the boy through a sea of seemingly unconnected activities. From playing baseball to treasure hunting, the exuberant dog jumps from one activity to the next, until finally ending back where he started, with a donut.
The cute, cartoonish illustrations bring to life the fun and chaos of the dog's day. The craziness of the situation is seen more i
Rashanda Ravenel
This book introduces cause and effect by telling what will happen if you give a dog a donut. It encourages creativity and the release of imagination by showing many different activities all done in the backyard. I would use this book to talk to children about what dogs should eat and things that can be harmful for dogs. Students can share if they have a dog or pet at home. We can then write our own stories about what would happen if we gave our pet a donut, a waffle, or whatever they want.
Gela
Jul 10, 2015 Gela rated it it was amazing
I just picked this up today at the library and my four year old daughter has made me read it to her five times already. It's a cute book. However now, I want a donut. :-(
Kiera Turner
Jun 23, 2014 Kiera Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
I love the Laura Numeroff book series! I think this book could be good when you have doggie lovers in your classroom or if your teaching a lesson on alliteration. You could even bring in donuts and apple juice to share with the children for snack!
Joy Gerbode
Oct 28, 2015 Joy Gerbode rated it really liked it
Another fun read. Mostly just about how we get distracted by so many things ... and that's part of having fun!
Jermeria Daniel
Jul 10, 2015 Jermeria Daniel rated it it was amazing
I would use this book as a way to see if students can place items in a sequential order as the book has done. Students can use picture cards to place the story in order and then retell it.
Brandon Colligan
Nov 02, 2012 Brandon Colligan rated it really liked it
I think it was a good book but found it a little too simple even for a children book. The book starts out with what would happen if you gave a dog a donut? It eventually leads to other events after giving a dog a donut. After all these things are given to the dog, the story leads back to him wanting a donut. It had a charming but yet dull form of events that kept on leading on to a simple concept. "What a dog would want if you give him a donut" Besides that it is a very entertaining read!I would ...more
Kylie Narehood
Mar 26, 2016 Kylie Narehood rated it it was amazing
Title: If you Give A Dog A Donut
Author: Laura Numeroff
Illustrator: Felicia Bond
Genre: Picture Book
Theme(s): Animals, Food
Opening line/sentence: If you give a dog a donut, he’ll ask for some apple juice to go with it.
Brief Book Summary: This book follows the traditional If You Give an Animal something format. In this book the dog receives a donut, once the dog is given the donut he wants to many other things to go along with it.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Shelle Rosenfeld(Booklis
Sven Robertson
Dec 26, 2015 Sven Robertson rated it it was ok
This book is yet another in Laura Numeroff's "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" series. It all began with a mouse...oh a lovable mouse who asked for a cookie, some milk, crayons, matches, a Pete Rose rookie card, and a basket full of plutonium. Okay, it's been awhile since I read it, so maybe that isn't exactly what happened.

This book is about a dog who wants a donut. The story is cute at first with the dog wanting a donut, then some juice, then running out of juice. Even the dog wanting to make its
Bridget Allebach
Title: If You Give a Dog a Donut
Author: Laura Numeroff
Illustrator: Felicia Bond
Genre: Predictable Book
Theme(s): Animals, Cause and Effect
Opening line/sentence:
“If you give a dog a donut,
he’ll ask for some apple juice to go with it.”
Brief Book Summary: This book follows the recurrent journey of a dog who is given a donut and then wants apple juice to go with it. Throughout the story, the dog gets distracted by new things until eventually he remembers why he went outside and wants apple juice o
Leah
Feb 13, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Carson
Nov 16, 2014 Carson rated it liked it
If You Give a Dog a Donut is another entry in Laura Numeroff's If You Give... series and follows the same exact formula as the other books. There is a single sentence on each page about one event leading to another and the story involves a child who is forced to satisfy their pets' selfish desires. If You Give a Dog a Donut follows a happy little dog who first wants a donut, then keeps demanding everything from a baseball glove to a homemade kite. The boy works hard to meet all of the dog's requ ...more
Lindsay Rains
Oct 05, 2014 Lindsay Rains added it
Shelves: libs-642
Numeroff, L. (2011). If You Give a Dog a Donut. New York: Balzer + Bray.

International Reading Association Children’s Choices Reading List (2012)

Choice

This picture book discusses all of the events that would take place if you gave a dog a donut. There isn’t a lot of wording on the pages and the illustrations are simple and childlike. The illustrations kinds of make you think that this is from the viewpoint of the mind of the boy that is depicted in the illustrations. This book could be used in th
Susie
Oct 17, 2011 Susie rated it really liked it
I don't know if this book really adds anything to the "If You Give a __ a __" series, but it is pretty darn cute. The illustrations are joyous, and, like the others in the series, it would be a delight to use with kids. The first time through it would be great for making predictions, and later readings would be fun for having kids recall what is next. And, as always, students can write their own stories, aiming to make them circular as well.
Hannah
Nov 04, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Once again, I am such a dork. I LOVE LAURA NUMEROFF's BOOKS! Haha. Okay that's out. Needless to say when my mom showed my sibs and I that she got this from the library, we all jumped for it, more like competed to read it. Well, being the big sister that I am I was able to wait while my sibs read it in like a minute, but I loved it. Haha. These books are the cutest. I think I'll write a tribute. If you give and Iguana an Ice Cream Cone. :D
Hapzydeco
Jul 17, 2014 Hapzydeco rated it really liked it
This wonderfully illustrated book is part of our local library StoryWalk program. It is with a smile that we have observed the children as they walk around the pond and read the dog's quest. Donuts and apple juice - what a great combination.
Tatiana
Oct 04, 2012 Tatiana rated it liked it
My tutoring students were sleepy and distracted this morning, so I opened the session with a story. I like the "If You Give/Take a..." series by Numeroff, even though they are very commericial, because they demonstrate bringing a story full circle, and If You Give a Dog a Donut was no exception. This was definitely at my students' independent level, though; I heard them reading along with me under their breath. A cute story.
Steph Sinclair

Reading this book to my kids brought back found memories of my mother reading If You Give a Mouse a Cookie to my brother and I. She'd read it to us over and over, as many times as we asked. We loved that book just as much as my kids enjoyed this. I'll definitely be buying this one soon.
Jade Nichole
Sep 28, 2012 Jade Nichole rated it it was ok
If You Give A Dog A Donut is a cute and funny picture book. It talks about different sequences of events that will happen if you give a dog a donut. It is a very easy read and I highly recommend it to anyone of any age or gender. It has very detailed cartoony pictures that really give an explaination to what the story is telling. It is a short and sweet book that anybody would enjoy, just as much as I did.
Dan Crist
Jan 09, 2013 Dan Crist rated it it was amazing
I thought this was good book for all ages. I read it with some students in my class. The pictures were nice, detailed and caught the reader's eye. If you like picture books and a nice easy read this book is definitely for you. The main theme of this book is that the dog gets the donut, but afterwords he wants other things. This book can definitely relate to people in real life.
Kelsey
Apr 29, 2015 Kelsey added it
Shelves: fiction, picture, 307
If You Give a Dog a Dog a Donut is another book in the "If you give a.." series that explains the reprocussions of giving a dog a donut because he will keep wanting more. This book is a circle book, which means that it ends with how it began. The personification in this book helps connect to young readers by using food that is appealing to them, such as cookies and donuts. This book is a perfect book for the classroom because it helps explain cause and effect. You could have students pick a food ...more
Megan Craig
Jul 04, 2013 Megan Craig rated it it was amazing
Audience: Primary
Genre: Picture book
Book Share: Have you ever been on an adventure with your pet, a friend, or a family member? This book is about a boy who gives a dog a donut, and the dog takes the boy on an adventure! If you love funny stories and dogs, you would love this book. Read this to see what kind of adventure you could go on if you give a dog a donut.
Jen
Nov 14, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I just got done reading this book to my 4K class that came into the library. They really enjoyed it! They couldn't wait to find out what the dog would want next. This book brought up some great conversation about what dogs can/can't eat. Their take on the world is so cute! For those younger readers, books like this never get old.
R
Dec 09, 2011 R rated it it was ok
Donuts and apple juice don't go well together. Lightly sweetened apple donuts with apple cider is pretty good, but not white chocolate with sprinkles and apple juice. The sweetness balance is all off. Also, this book encourages the use of questionable logic. The pictures were lovely though.
Mamers
Oct 05, 2011 Mamers rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Meh. Maybe I'm just bored with this series, but it felt like Numeroff just needed to publish another book to please her publisher and grease the money wheel. Even the illustrations by Felicia Bond were lackluster, though I love her previous drawings in the Mouse and Pig books.
  • Bailey
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
  • Llama Llama Home with Mama
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action
  • Silverlicious
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • Pig Kahuna
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • My Rhinoceros
  • Big Words for Little People
  • Fall Mixed Up
Laura Joffe Numeroff is an American author of children's books. Numeroff originally wanted to be a writer, but decided to follow her older sister's footsteps and become a fashion designer instead. Laura attended Pratt Institute of Design but then decided to become a writer again and wrote her first book with only 4 rejections. - Wikipedia.
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...

If You Give... (7 books)