Start by marking “Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-Teen and Teenage Killers” as Want to Read:
Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-Teen and Teenage Killers

Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-Teen and Teenage Killers

Why would two young boys abduct, torture and kill a toddler? What makes a teenage girl plot with her classmates to kill her own father? Traditionally, society is used to regarding children as harmless -- but for some the age of innocence is short-lived, messy and ultimately murderous. Children Who Kill is a comprehensive new study of juvenile homicide. Carol Anne Davis set ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 383 pages
Published November 30th 2011 by Allison and Busby (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Children Who Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children Who Kill

Eva Leger
May 23, 2012 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: b-true-crime
I'm going to refer people to Bettina's review. I hope she doesn't mind (if you do please let me know and I'll remove this.) My reason for this is she basically says what I don't have the time for right now.
The oversimplification is so over the top it's nuts. I'm not sure what happened to Davis to make her believe everything is so easy, most especially when dealing with a subject like this, but apparently something has.
She's far too opinionated on a subject that should have been covered with fact
Simon Bruce
Oct 31, 2015 Simon Bruce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
I feel like the author has picked a hand full of Wikipedia pages, after typing "Children who kill" into a search engine, then proceeded to print them, bind them, and with a smattering of average banal thoughts, from her highly unqualified head, proceeded to get it published! Complete shit!
Jun 24, 2011 Bettina rated it it was ok
Of course this book is engaging and the subject matter is difficult to present in a "boring" manner. It also isn't overly sensationalist, which is positive and rare in this area. The author successfully manages to empathise with the situation without demonising or condoning the crimes.

However, although this book is clearly above tabloid level, the author falls into many common traps.

1.) Oversimplification - "look what the world did to those poor children, is it any wonder they turned out like t
Apr 30, 2016 Ellie rated it liked it
A great read for those interested in psychology.

The book provides insight into the psyche of children who kill. Unsurprisingly, one of the main factors that drive a child to commit murder is the presence of violence in the child's environment. Violence manifests itself in various ways - sexual, physical, emotional.

However, sometimes even in a seemingly perfect family, parents could be unintentionally hindering the normal development of their child. Carol gives an example of a boy who is born t
Kevin Walsh
Jun 09, 2014 Kevin Walsh rated it it was ok
“Children Who Kill,” by Carol Anne Davis, is a relatively long (396 pages) book which looks at the always emotive subject of juvenile homicide. The author sets out to explore this subject using in-depth case studies of children aged between 10 and 17. The book, as it was published in 2003, is relatively out of date and it does show when it comes to certain cases.

This could have been a very good book, it is relatively easy, if repetitive, to read. But then it is hard to write a boring book about
Nick Davies
Jan 24, 2016 Nick Davies rated it really liked it
A very well-researched and sympathetic examination of child killers, including a variety of case studies where the reasons behind such crimes are examined, and chapters discussing the author's conclusions on the issues raised. I was impressed at the apparent even-handedness of the discussions - a lack of sensationalism and a high level of contextualisation a credit to the writer (and an insight into the grounding for her novels), as is the fact the book remains readable despite the difficult sub ...more
Nov 27, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
The book was written in a rather awkward way. I feel like this book only breached the surface on certain cases, and I was confused as to why Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were not included in this book- since Kip Kinkel was, and he was a school shooter whose fame due to his shooting pales in comparison to the incident at Columbine. The author also seems to point fingers at the fact that all these children came from troubled backgrounds (violent families, dysfunctional families, etc)- though many ...more
Jay Miraldi
Sep 24, 2013 Jay Miraldi rated it it was amazing
This book was so interesting, even if it was a little tough to get through at times. The insight into the lives and minds of these "killer kids" is captivating and I really learned a lot from this book.
Apr 11, 2013 Lili rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing read. This book has made me want to read more from this author, as she truly points out the flaws in society that turned these children into gruesome murderers.
Eszter Faatima Sabiq
I am doing some research on problematic youth so picked up this book and found some interesting (well, disgusting, heart-breaking, sickening, shocking, horrifying etc) stories and some insight into the topic but I still do not know what makes one child snap and become a murderer and not the other. The only explanation she gives is parental ( carer) abuse and at one point she even blames a child's lack of opportunity to masturbate (wtf??) but then every abused child would kill someone and it is b ...more
Feb 26, 2011 Braxton rated it it was amazing
possibly the best book on this subject that you can find.
Feb 16, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Nonfiction isn't usually my thing, but a family friend, who is a psychologist, thought I would be interested in Children Who Kill by Carol Anne Davis due to my interest in the field (of psychology, not children killing). The book was thin enough (around 250 pages), so I decided to sit down with it. I consider myself a slower reader, but I was finished with this one in less than a week. It was simply so engaging and thrilling, I couldn't put it down.

First, this book is divided into two parts. The
William Boyle
Jan 07, 2015 William Boyle rated it it was amazing
Through this book.
I now know who I am.
I now know how I got here.
I now know why I do want I do.
I now have the knowledge, perhaps, to move on.
I know why I get angry.
I know why I get depressed.
Recognising that it is not completely my fault means I can step back easier and review any situation.
I don't think I have read such a valuable informative book.

Oct 05, 2016 Gemma rated it it was amazing
This is a really fascinating intelligent book about children who kill, without the usual hysteria. Davis looks in detail at the possible reasons behind each child's actions, and it's so heartbreaking to see just how much child abuse can damage lives.

It can be repetitive at times, but is very well thought-out and Davis makes a compelling case.
Melissa M
Jan 17, 2016 Melissa M rated it really liked it
It was an interesting read. It was most interesting to see the family dynamics that lead children to kill. It's also very sad to see how many children are abused and no one steps in to do anything about it. Something needs to change in this regard.
S Miller
Jun 04, 2016 S Miller added it
Shelves: d
Used - Good- slight binding and shelf wear
Mayday Maddie
Feb 13, 2011 Mayday Maddie rated it liked it
In case you are wondering why it took me so long to read another book, this is the answer...
Before you question my sanity, please note that I chose to read this book for forensic purposes only and that I hated reading about the morbid lives of eDreadach child in the text.

Dreadful truths aside, this frightening piece does a good job of repeating stories and analyzing/relating facts (helpful for debate). However, I wish there had been more facts/evidence, profiling & rehabilition.

I hope I neve
Jun 03, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
horrific but interesting
Aug 11, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
Strangely fascinating book and subject and proof that it's not video nasties or computer games that turn people!
The ending of the book was a let down for me as it was delving into to diverse a subject trying to explain why people kill etc I would have preferred more in the stories if the individual killers!
Well laid out and easy to read.
Feb 06, 2013 Michaela rated it liked it
An interesting look at a subject that's been attempted many times before. The author seemed to care a lot about her topic and in this book, attempts to make people see that children aren't born bad - circumstances make them do awful things. It's not an excuse, but it is a reason.
Apr 06, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Parts of this were very interesting to read, but after about half way through became very repetitive with very similar stories, making it feel as though they were just added to make up the number of pages.
Mar 24, 2016 Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
This could have been an interesting book... but the author's style of writing was so bad that fifth graders could do better. I couldn't even finish it.
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
ALISON MOORHEAD rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Ianbjorg marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
gaynor beesley
gaynor beesley rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Danibeth Alderson
Danibeth Alderson marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Lucy added it
Oct 16, 2016
Ciaz39342 marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time
  • The Ultimate Book of Heroic Failures
  • The Most Evil Women in History
  • Once in a House on Fire
  • Buffy Chronicles : The Unofficial  Companion to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed
  • House at the Corner (Mystery & Adventure)
  • Building Blocks