Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-Teen and Teenage Killers

Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-Teen and Teenage Killers

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this work, Carol Anne Davis explores the actions and motivation of 13 killers aged between 10 and 17. Well known cases including those of Mary Bell, Robert Thompson and John Venables are examined alongside historical case studies and lesser known crimes.
Mass Market Paperback, 383 pages
Published November 30th 2011 by Allison & Busby (first published January 1st 2003)

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Godfather by Mario Puzo
Kin
459th out of 677 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Eva Leger
I'm going to refer people to Bettina's review. I hope she doesn't mind (if you do please let me know and I'll remove this.) My reason for this is she basically says what I don't have the time for right now.
The oversimplification is so over the top it's nuts. I'm not sure what happened to Davis to make her believe everything is so easy, most especially when dealing with a subject like this, but apparently something has.
She's far too opinionated on a subject that should have been covered with fact...more
Bettina
Of course this book is engaging and the subject matter is difficult to present in a "boring" manner. It also isn't overly sensationalist, which is positive and rare in this area. The author successfully manages to empathise with the situation without demonising or condoning the crimes.

However, although this book is clearly above tabloid level, the author falls into many common traps.

1.) Oversimplification - "look what the world did to those poor children, is it any wonder they turned out like t...more
Kevin Walsh
“Children Who Kill,” by Carol Anne Davis, is a relatively long (396 pages) book which looks at the always emotive subject of juvenile homicide. The author sets out to explore this subject using in-depth case studies of children aged between 10 and 17. The book, as it was published in 2003, is relatively out of date and it does show when it comes to certain cases.

This could have been a very good book, it is relatively easy, if repetitive, to read. But then it is hard to write a boring book about...more
Julia
Nonfiction isn't usually my thing, but a family friend, who is a psychologist, thought I would be interested in Children Who Kill by Carol Anne Davis due to my interest in the field (of psychology, not children killing). The book was thin enough (around 250 pages), so I decided to sit down with it. I consider myself a slower reader, but I was finished with this one in less than a week. It was simply so engaging and thrilling, I couldn't put it down.

First, this book is divided into two parts. The...more
Eszter Faatima
I am doing some research on problematic youth so picked up this book and found some interesting (well, disgusting, heart-breaking, sickening, shocking, horrifying etc) stories and some insight into the topic but I still do not know what makes one child snap and become a murderer and not the other. The only explanation she gives is parental ( carer) abuse and at one point she even blames a child's lack of opportunity to masturbate (wtf??) but then every abused child would kill someone and it is b...more
Mayday Maddie
In case you are wondering why it took me so long to read another book, this is the answer...
Before you question my sanity, please note that I chose to read this book for forensic purposes only and that I hated reading about the morbid lives of eDreadach child in the text.

Dreadful truths aside, this frightening piece does a good job of repeating stories and analyzing/relating facts (helpful for debate). However, I wish there had been more facts/evidence, profiling & rehabilition.

I hope I neve...more
Michaela
An interesting look at a subject that's been attempted many times before. The author seemed to care a lot about her topic and in this book, attempts to make people see that children aren't born bad - circumstances make them do awful things. It's not an excuse, but it is a reason.
Jennifer Miraldi
This book was so interesting, even if it was a little tough to get through at times. The insight into the lives and minds of these "killer kids" is captivating and I really learned a lot from this book.
Lili
An absolutely amazing read. This book has made me want to read more from this author, as she truly points out the flaws in society that turned these children into gruesome murderers.
Braxton
possibly the best book on this subject that you can find.
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Colm
Colm marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Sara Hayes
Sara Hayes marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Marisela
Marisela marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jennicole
Jennicole marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
John Cassian
John Cassian marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jenna **Dreams**
Jenna **Dreams** marked it as to-read
Angel Gelique
Angel Gelique marked it as to-read
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Melissa H
Melissa H marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Women Who Kill: Profiles of Female Serial Killers Couples Who Kill Sadistic Killers: Profiles of Pathological Predators Noise Abatement Sob Story