Start by marking “The Pulse, Vol. 3: Fear” as Want to Read:
The Pulse, Vol. 3: Fear

The Pulse, Vol. 3: Fear (The Pulse #3)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Fans of Jessica Jones have waited two years for two things: the return of award-winning artist Michael Gaydos to the pages of the books he was born to draw, and the birth of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's baby. And guess what? They're both here!
Published October 25th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Pulse, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pulse, Vol. 3

Alan Chen
Feb 23, 2016 Alan Chen rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This feels like exactly what it is: a rush job to finish up a series with a tidy little bow. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's baby is finally born ofcourse there's complications with the labor but the Avengers family are there for them and Doctor Strange births the healthy little girl. While this is happening we need a slim arc of conflict so let's throw in D-man a copycat of Daredevil who steals pieces of jewelry from pawn shops while saving them from robberies. Turns out he's mentally ill and hom ...more
Lionel
Dec 29, 2015 Lionel rated it really liked it
That last issue was Alias-like. Would have preferred more of that and less of the Bugle
Dec 31, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels
Ignore the terrible cover; the rest of the art (by Michael Gaydos and Olivier Coipel) is excellent.

This was the book I was waiting for; the first two books of The Pulse were really inferior when compared to Alias, and I had to wonder if Bendis was having trouble adapting Jessica Jones to an all-ages imprint after the freedom of the more adult Max imprint. However, Bendis really found his voice for The Pulse here in the third and final volume. This was a wonderful way to wrap up the series, with
Mike
Last of the great books starring Jessica Jones. Incidental reasons why we get a superhero birth, Bendis style.

What with all the medical uncertainty:

And Peter Parker's incredibly talented mouth:

And the friends telling their own amazing stories:

(Yes, that one really happened, and it is exactly as fucked up as it sounds.)

This all feels so incredibly *real* - for a superhero tale - that I have to imagine it's primarily a vehicle for how Bendis and his wife processed they way they became a family. It
Holden Attradies
Jul 03, 2012 Holden Attradies rated it it was amazing
This was a very bitter sweet read for me. I was amazing seeing Jessica Jones get the old creative crew together behind the scenes (Bendis and Gaydos), and it was amazing having her finally pop the kiddo out. But it was, once again, a far too soon end to a Jessica Jones title. Worse it wasn't really even a Jessica Jones tittle, she was kind of in the foreground and from here she moves all the way into the background of New Avengers. And the overlap between this series ending and the other one sta ...more
Emily
Probably more like a 3.5. I really enjoyed spending more time with Jessica Jones. I don't think I've ever seen a super hero comic take on parenthood so directly. It was refreshing to go beyond punching villains.

The annual at the end was a complete disappointment though. I despised the bright cheesecake art, and the writing didn't feel true to the characters. And ugh, that wedding scene at the end. Jessica would have a small, simple ceremony, not a princess fantasy.
Katie
Jun 09, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series. I didn't love the colors in The Pulse issues but I believe it's a callback to the main Jessica Jones series "Alias." So I don't mind the colors, I just didn't love them. I really enjoyed being able to read a story focused on Jessica Jones. I was interested in finding out more about Jessica Jones before the Netflix series.

If you are looking for some of background on Jessica Jones. You might want to read "Alias" first but you don't have to read "Alias" to enjoy or understan
Grace
May 13, 2016 Grace rated it it was ok
Apparently this is the last of the Jessica Jones arc, as far as I can tell, and I’m, frankly, rather relieved. The characters are interesting enough, but the plot has been a steady downward spiral since The Pulse took over. It didn’t manage plot well. It dropped a lot of hints and ideas of future, daunting plots for the heroes to overcome and then didn’t really continue any of them. So frustrating.

The plot(s) felt like a mess but at least it ended on a happy note. I guess the series ended before
Nuno Gil Franco
Dec 13, 2015 Nuno Gil Franco rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This has got to be the best of the bunch, even though it had some pretty stupid moments (yes, hospital manager, I'm poiting the finger your way!).
Christopher Mclean
Dec 14, 2015 Christopher Mclean rated it really liked it
It's a real shame this series found a nice flow right as it ended. This volume felt like it finally delivered on the premise, with Jessica giving us an interesting look behind the scenes of the avengers and super-hero life in general, while Ben finally gets to do some actual reporting on superheroes with an entertaining and interesting shorty on the like the the c-list heroes which show up all the time for a few arcs then vanish.

At least the series ends on a strong note.
Salman Mehedy Titas
And this brings the story of Jessica Jones, at least in her solo adventure, to a conclusion. (view spoiler) If you have been following Jessica Jones, then this is mandatory. The story is attractive, short enough to not get boring, and has its funny moments.

Jessica, for all her shortcomings, is a very likable character. You just love it, even when she's running her bad mouth like a rifle.

The subplot here was very interesting.
Sylvester
Nov 29, 2015 Sylvester rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
The old yucky, art style is back with almost no plot whatsoever other than Whoop De Doo!!!!! JESSICA AND LUKE ARE HAVING A BABY.
Gaby
Feb 22, 2016 Gaby rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-2016
Review at Oh My Books!
Adam
Feb 05, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it
A nice ending to a series! And it was great to have all of the original creative team back together for the last volume. I look forward to moving into the Avengers series and follow Jessica's story further.
Paul Deonaraine
Nov 24, 2015 Paul Deonaraine rated it it was amazing
Screw Jessica Jones. The Ben Urich/D-Man story made this 5 stars.
Daryl Nash
Oct 28, 2015 Daryl Nash rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the original, but a satisfying coda to Alias.
Brad
Aug 05, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Jessica Jones finally has her baby, and finally has Michael Gaydos draw her again. Brian Michael Bendis closes out The Pulse, which had a really weird arc, going from a Spider-Man story to a rehash of Secret War, to a New Avengers story. There’s lots of good dialogue around Jessica’s baby worries (especially from Sue Storm), and a funny subplot with D-Man, the homeless superhero. This volume felt a bit short and rushed; I guess Bendis has more important things to do.
Federiken Masters
Aug 11, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de Alias
Recommended to Federiken by: Que continuaba Alias
Broche de bronce para una serie heredera de una serie de oro. Con esto terminé de corroborar que en ningún momento The Pulse estuvo a la altura de Alias, pero que tampoco es que mande todo al cuerno. Eso sí, la pareja Jones & Cage en Nuevos Vengadores no alcanza en ningún momento la onda que tienen acá. Pero fue lindo mientras duró. Y a la vez es bueno que no durara mucho que digamos.
Rachael
Feb 26, 2011 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2011
This gets four stars simply because it's about the baby and less mediocre than the other Jessica Jones stories. Sadly, even though she's the main character and also in the process of giving birth, she still has zero control over what's happening around her, and it's still annoying.
Thomas
Jan 09, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it
Much closer to Alias. Most, but not all focus on Jessica. Original Alias artist was a plus too.
Lorebound
Dec 28, 2015 Lorebound rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The best of The Pulse volumes. Still not as good as Alias, though.
Elise
Aug 06, 2010 Elise rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
I'm probably irrational on the subject of Jessica Jones, but damn - love the character, love her series. The issue where she tells her daughter about the night she met Luke Cage is one of my favorite Jess moments.
Feb 26, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Oh, my God, I missed my graphic novels! This is the first time I've read the Pulse since I had Sammy and I cried like a big girl at some parts. Need to re-read the entire Jessica Jones canon now. Bloody fantastic.
Shaun
Dec 20, 2012 Shaun rated it really liked it
A fun read from Bendis and Gaydos. It was nice to see the beginning of Jessica Jones and Luke Cages' life as husband and wife and the birth of their daughter. Gaydos' art is wonderful and very realistic.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 03, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
The last four issues of Pulse are very emotionally satisfying. The New Avengers annual is more of a punch-em-up, but also offers a nice coda to Jessica's story.
Will
Feb 14, 2012 Will rated it liked it
Finally started to get back in touch with what made Alias great, but...then it ended.
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Shira
Shira marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Caitlyn Moore
Caitlyn Moore rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
  • Superheroes!: Capes, Cowls, and the Creation of Comic Book Culture
  • Marvel Chronicle
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Fantastic Four: The End
  • The Irredeemable Ant-Man, Volume 2: Small-Minded
  • Marvel 1985
  • Agents Of Atlas: Dark Reign (Agent of Atlas, #1)
  • Wolverine: Origins & Endings
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Vol. 1
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Best of the Best
  • Nova, Vol. 2: Knowhere
  • Ultimatum
  • Spider-Man: The Other
  • Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 3: Extinction
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The Pulse (3 books)