Start by marking “Making Work Work: New Strategies for Surviving and Thriving at the O” as Want to Read:
Making Work Work: New Strategies for Surviving and Thriving at the O

Making Work Work: New Strategies for Surviving and Thriving at the O

IS IT ME OR IS IT THEM?

Maintaining control in today's hectic workplace is a challenge -- everything is lean, competitive, and uncertain. What does it take to survive?

Making Work Work is Julie Morgenstern's most important book yet. Through the mastery of brand-new strategies, Morgenstern shows you how small changes in your thinking and behavior will help you achieve the see
Published January 11th 2011 by Touchstone (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Making Work Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Work Work

Sally
Jan 24, 2016 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have commenced on a Julie Morgenstern marathon. I am re-reading 3 of her books on time and life management. This one was very work focused so not always relevant to me (since I have no boss or staff to manage). But I took away three key points:
1) importance of estimating the time it takes to do tasks - how can you plan you day if you don't know how long anything will take - I chronically under estimate and am working on building that skill and facing up to the reality, 2) fact that time manage
Ron Ratchford
Jul 14, 2014 Ron Ratchford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Time challenged average person
Recommended to Ron by: No one. I came upon it in a book store
The book is about doing the very best work at work. The use of the simple formulas will help the worker gain time and effetiveness. But the real gem of the book is the revelation of the amount of time the social networks have taken from the person's life and the habits of e-mai, facebook and cell phone have taken over the lives of the ordinary person. The book is about the office worker who needs to schedule the day but the effect it had on me is the realization that I am on the web much to much ...more
Melody Moezzi
I usually don't read self-help books, but this one wasn't bad. She provided good suggestions, and I learned some things that have helped me in my work as a writer. I think her tips could apply to anyone really. I do think it could and should have been a much shorter book. She easily could have made her point in 50 pages, and the book would have been all the better for it. To her credit, the book is very well organized, and it can be easily skimmed--and that's what I would suggest really--thanks ...more
Rod Jetton
Apr 27, 2014 Rod Jetton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bussiness
If you find yourself falling behind this book is for you. Her ideas and how to organize your work life are invaluable. It is more than just time management. It helped me concentrate on what was most important and using that info to spend time planing my days. Quick and wonderful read.
Gina Mcclain
Mar 20, 2009 Gina Mcclain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the classic ENFP overwhelmed by an ESTJ world
Inder
Feb 29, 2008 Inder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, read-2008
This is an easy read, and I finished it in about six BART commutes (you've probably noticed another strength of mine: skimming/fast reading). Lots and lots of good tips. I'm excited to start with the 4 Ds - Delete, Delegate, Delay, and Diminish. Yay!

This book is aimed at white-collar, paper-shuffling, "professional"-types. ESPECIALLY people who have large but somewhat amorphous/flexible workloads that they exercise some control over (they can delegate, etc.) - like lawyers (yep!), salespeople, m
Anthony Deluca
Mar 31, 2013 Anthony Deluca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Check Email In The Morning
By: Julie Morgenstern
Copyright 2005
Reviewed December 2006.

This book gives an excellent overview of many ideas which will enhance productivity in your life. Julie focuses on items you can do within yourself, with others, and how to decide, in many situations, weather “it’s you” or “it’s them”. The scope of the book is not just organization, but also decisions one can make to be more effective in many aspects of life and business.

The main reason for me reading this
Ice
May 12, 2010 Ice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Whether in the executive boardroom or a windowless cubicle, the key to a more balanced, productive existence, according to organizer extraordinaire Morgenstern, is PEP (physical health, escape and people), the four Ds (delete, delay, delegate and diminish) and a healthy dose of reality about what is doable, and what is impossible, at work.

Written in the same to-the-point approach as her Organizing from the Inside Out, this volume espouses a combination of philosophies that not only makes a whole
Annie Mueller
I liked the book, but I confess: I still check my e-mail in the morning. And then again later in the morning... and in the afternoon. So I'm not "cured." But I don't deal with hundreds of time-consuming e-mails, so I think the point is not as valid for me.
3/5 because some of the points were obvious and redundant (do the important work first, delegate what you can, don't be a perfectionist) but some of the others were helpful and all are applicable to work-life in some degree. The book is written
Bethany
Dec 03, 2015 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical advice from a lady who has mastered the workplace game. I've failed miserably at office politics and this explains why some people infuriate me and why I like others. At least I'm rocking all the workflow related stuff she points out. It also details the logistics of working smarter, not harder. That's my work philosophy 100%. I'm not sure how I learned some of these before reading this book, but yay me.
Mary Anne
Jan 11, 2009 Mary Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, selfhelp
I read a lot of the self-help, business genre books, and I must say this is one of the best I have read. I find that most of this type of book is filled with bromides on how to be a better leader, manager, salesperson, whatever. This book is more practical, giving the author's "grab and go" tips throughout. I recommend it to anyone who feels the need to get more organized - and who doesn't?
Debbie Nicoletti
Sep 13, 2013 Debbie Nicoletti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than anything, these simple strategies allow you to take back control of your workday, which in this fast paced world seems to have slipped away. And possibly more importantly, recognize the need for a work-life balance, giving us permission to leave work at work and use our time off to refuel ourselves with what's most important to us.
Gloria
Oct 11, 2009 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess one might say I am a fan of Morgenstern ever since I heard her interviewed on Fresh Air (?) when her first book came out, Orgnaizing from the Inside Out.

This one is a very fast read, with some very good ideas. I ended up tagging several pages that had ideas that I will implement in a faculty meeting this coming Tuesday as well as a few other situations at work.

Diana
Dec 22, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
Never finished the book (and therefore the low rating). It was interesting and the author gives a lot of suggestions on how to work more efficiently and effectively. But after a few chapters I was just quite done with it. Too much tips & tricks. It almost felt as homework.
Eric
Jun 09, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, although it is challenging with my direct responsibilities to implement EVERYTHING. It was the first time-management type book I read that came at it with the reductionist theory - i.e. do what's important - so directly. Would like to read more of her work.
Treasure
May 28, 2008 Treasure rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grown-up-books
Overall, a good, informational, helpful book. I'm not huge on non-fiction business books, but I did find this one easy to read and easy to digest. I liked a lot of her ideas, and I would recommend it to anyone feeling overwhelmed or unorganized... isn't that ALL OF US????!!!!
Monica
May 14, 2011 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but most doesn't apply to being a teacher.
Jan 16, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, organization
Fabulous - I took away several valuable and practical tips for organizing my day!
Mary Ann
Business book on organization and time management.
Elle Fleischmann
Great insight and tricks on how to improve your time-management!
Veronica
Some good tips, esp on framing your day + minimizing disractions to be more organized + efficient.
Diana
May 31, 2009 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite manager gave me this when I first got promoted at work.
Heather
Sep 20, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drat! This book was so good when I started it. Never got to finish it before it was due back at the library because someone else had it on hold.
Bill
Nov 16, 2015 Bill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lee Sullivan
Jan 04, 2013 Lee Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good thoughts to improve productivity, but a little dated..
Rosie
Not my favorite of her books. It's ok, but Organizing from the Inside Out is better.
S
Jan 12, 2008 S marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-non-fiction, 1-book
650.1 MOR
Michael Nelson
Jul 15, 2014 Michael Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Yep, the title says it all.
Jun 10, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I'd read this when I was in the corporate world, but much of her advice can still be applied to make my work-at-home lifestyle more productive.
Sherri Morgan
Sep 23, 2012 Sherri Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on soft skills I've encountered. A must-read for anyone with a career.
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook
  • Essential Manager's Manual (Financial Times (DK))
  • Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • Bridges Not Walls: A Book About Interpersonal Communication
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Organizing Genius: The Secrets of Creative Collaboration
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Lifehacker: 88 Tech Tricks to Turbocharge Your Day
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
Julie Morgenstern, dubbed the “queen of putting people’s lives in order” by USA Today, is an organizing and time management expert, business productivity consultant, and speaker. A New York Times bestselling author, Julie's five books are timeless reference guides that are insightful, reader-friendly and jam packed with innovative strategies. Each volume features techniques and observations culled ...more
More about Julie Morgenstern...