Once a Knight: Good Knights #1

Once a Knight: Good Knights #1 (Knight #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  672 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A Lady's ChoiceOnly desperation can make strong-willed Lady Alisoun hire Sir David of Radcliffe to protect her castle. He had once been a hero renowned for his brave daring and knightly skills. But few know what he has been doing these past years.

A Hero AgainAt George's Cross estate, Sir David does indeed discover danger afoot. But the danger that surprises him most is how...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Once a Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once a Knight

Cherie Jensen
I wasn't sure I'd like this book after reading the reviews and though I understand some of the criticism I have a different take on it.

Sir David is a real hero. A man with flaws but a true heart. He is honest with himself. He is not pretty boy handsome and wears many scars, a ruggedly handsome man. Lady Alisoun has learned to control her behavior, her reflexes and emotions. She's almost robotic. It is not explained, or I missed it, how she became this way although there were some hints about rec...more
_inbetween_
Probably my favourite of Dodd's heroes. Although hers were all appealing so far, this one is missing a finger, a toe and an earlobe and has seriously disfigured skin on his thin frame. He's an older knight and in the cups since he just lost his title as champion. She's a wealthy noble castle + land owner. He's so well written that when he does something at the end that goes against what she fought for (rightly so), there are so many intricate, logical motives and excellent reasons that one canno...more
Victoria
Christina Dodd's Once A Knight proved to be a somewhat trying book to read. The editing for one, I think could have been better. Character development could have been better. I didn't really understand Lady Alisoun, and found her to be a very hard heroine to *get.* At some points in the book, with what went on, I found far-fetched and hard to get through, even for a romance novel.

From the back cover:
"Only a threat to her life can make strong-willed Lady Alisoun hire Sir David of Radcliffe to pr...more
Shea
I picked up this book because I wanted something light to read when I wasn't able to concentrate enough on my book group selection. I couldn't put it down. It is one of the best historical romances I have read in a long time. Dodd is one of my favorite writers but I haven't read any of her historicals in quite some time. Set in Medieval England the story follows Lady Alisoun as she runs her estate and takes care of her people while a threat looms. She decides to hire a legendary knight, David of...more
Ambre
As much as I really didn't like the heroine, I enjoyed this book well enough up to the climax scene. For me, the whole book fell apart and I lost interest in reading it at that point.

First, it was hardly a great reveal... the "secret" was beyond obvious from the first chapter.

Second, the plot conveniently forgets that the hero has a daughter, that the villain has threatened her, and makes out that his reason for not facing up against the villain is purely material. Basically, because the hero's...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jun 04, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
The characters in this story are shown in great depth and one can almost see the twists of their personalities. The plot serves more to help us know them better than as an entity unto itself. Here we have an interesting tale that might have done better as a contemporary novel, the anachronisms threw a monkey wrench into my enjoyment.

Christina Dodd used an interesting device: vignettes from the squire's point of view, several paragraphs in length, all in italics. These are presented as reminiscen...more
Hortencia
Just finished this one and must say I'm impressed. This hero is probably the best hero I've read in all of my reading to date: very human and very amusing. The heroine is also well written, so different from him, and compliments him well, with her cool demeanour and always-proper behaviour. Their actions make sense for what we know about them: no unfounded actions that are so out of character as to be unbelievable, no silly surprises thrown in simply to advance the plot or draw things to a hasty...more
Gerrie
This was an enjoyable book, and it definitely had a genuine medieval feel. The author has done her historical research, and certainly includes it as a believable and integral part of the story. There was quite a lot to like in this book. An engaging hero, and interesting secondary characters, as well as delightful children. While there's only one sequel that I know of, Dodd could write more than one, as I'd love to see some of these interesting secondary characters get their own stories.

I found...more
Ada
As a huge fan of Christina Dodd, I have to say this book didn't meet my expectations. There were many good parts but just as many not so good parts. I felt the book dragged in many places and only really picked up in the last 2-3 chapters. The heroine herself, Alisoun, is hard to get behind because her emotions don't seem real and so hard to connect with. The hero, on the other hand, David, is quite likable in every aspect. All in all, while I love a good romance, this one almost missed the mark...more
Susan
Read halfway through the book waiting for the charms and charisma of the heroine to entice me to like her, just like the hero knight who thought she was the best thing around the kingdom since jousting tournaments. Didn't happen. Methinks the hero was hit in the head too many times and his judgement was off.

I'm done with this author. I think I've read, and finished, a grand total of one book and that wasn't stellar, either.
Robin Brennan
Easy read...loved it. Always enjoy a book that incorporates humore along with the plot. 8/10/12 - re-reading it and enjoying it again. It is a book that I take out every so often and enjoy, but not usually twice in one year, however this has been a difficult few days. This book relaxes me and I enjoy the medieval setting, the subtle humor cements it as one of my all time favorites.
Bronwyn
Read in one setting.

Organized woman that thinks she can keep bad things from happening if she just is preapared enough. Knight that is past his prim and lost his status.
Entertaining relationship and real characters.
She needs someone to protect her from a lord and he needs money for his holdings.
Frances Fuller
I was packing all my books and when I got to the P.O. I realized I had left myself no books to read for the next three days, opened a box and took out three, luckily this was one of them. I have given this author everything from one to four stars and this one was four. Could not put it down.
Stacie
Oct 30, 2007 Stacie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance
A story about a medieval knight that is getting older and he has gotten rusty in his skills. Lady Alisoun hires Sir David to protect her castle. This had some funny parts and was good see that the heroine was strong in this story.
Sherry
I liked the premise of this book about an aging knight who had the chance to redeem himself. But, it is unrealistic that the heroine who is witty and intelligent doesn't know she is pregnant or in love...
Shelly
I didn't like this story as much as I have like some of the other books I have read by this author, but I still liked it :) Served the purpose of escape reading, which is why I read!
Coraline
nothing to make a big hoopla about just another book not particularly bad but no big catch either
I liked the book and I liked the characters, but I felt like it was a little long.
Deb
This one did have a sense of history and more 3D charachters. Keep for reread.
Anne
Slow at times, but also fun and adventurous. I liked it.
Yorda
La narración es muy lenta, y se hace algo aburrido.
Ana
Ordinary. Blah. Nothing spectacular.
Leela Sundy
One of my all time favorites
  • Lord of Midnight (Dark Champion, #4)
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • Lady of Conquest (Brides of Legend #2)
  • The Princess (Bride Quest, #1)
  • The King's Pleasure
  • The Last Arrow (Robin Hood, #3)
  • Lionheart
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • The Maiden
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Legacy of the Diamond (Black Diamond, #1)
  • Wedding for a Knight (MacLean, #3)
  • Master of Seduction (Sea Wolves, #1)
  • Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval, #2)
  • Knight of Pleasure (All the King's Men #2)
  • Wicked Promise (Clayton #1)
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
Join Christina's mailing list for upcoming book news, book sales and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/...

In 2014, Christina is publishing the Lost Hearts series in e-book, all enhanced with extra material:
-- JUST THE WAY YOU ARE
-- ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE
-- CLOSE TO YOU
And Christina's all-new series, Virtue Falls, starts with:
-- THE LISTENER: A Vi...more
More about Christina Dodd...
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)