Start by marking “The Inventor” as Want to Read:
The Inventor

The Inventor (Fantasies of New Europa #1)

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For the Countess of Caithmore, a life of wealth has led to misery. Abandoned by her husband and widely accused of being nothing more than a porcelain doll without passion or intelligence, she has ventured into dangerous territory and commissioned the help of the most famous inventor in New Europa for a scandalous project. In the depths of his laboratory, she will submit he ...more
Published December 17th 2010 by Nevada Navy LLC (first published September 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Inventor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inventor

Wendy
Dec 03, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Jill
Leda is jilted by her husband for a younger woman. She finds herself on the doorstep of inventor Ian Anderson who she commissions to create a steamy sex pleasured powered machine, to test if she really is a cold lover, as her husband claims her to be. Ian is intelligent, sexy and needs to convince Leda that she needs a man, not a machine to make her feel pleasure.

This is evocative, semi hot little read with a hint of erotica and steampunk undertones. The prose is wonderful and the author does a
Becky
Bow chicka bow wow!

Sorta.

This was pretty good... parts felt a little rushed and sometimes the characterization didn't really mesh for me... but I mean, was that really why I read this?

Get your minds out of the gutter. I read it for points in a challenge! :P
Kathy
This is so not my normal genre. But I admit to re-reading interesting parts of books from time to time, I'm human. lol. I really enjoyed this and would possibly even go 3.5 stars where this is concerned. There was alot more story in this than what little I know of the genre (which isn't much, and probably not fair to even say). And I have to say, I liked it enough to buy the other 3 books in the series as soon as I finished it last night. :)
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
First let me dispense with the disclaimer that I don't usually read erotica type books and when I first read the blurb for this book, while I realized there was definitely a strong romance element I didn't realize it was listed as erotica. (Yes, I know reading the blurb now one might wonder how I could've missed it, but I swear it was different and more ambiguous before!)

So, anyway, that out of the way...

While it's not the type of book I usually read, mostly because I can't quite get past the f
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Inventive and short, Karpiel manages to incorporate a lot of story into just 150 pages. Steampunk, espionage, jilted wives, duels.. plus more. It's a romance, so there's a heavy influence on love and sex and the scientific testing of "coldness". Leda is believable and sympathetic as the King's cousin who was jilted by her husband the Earl for an infamous actress.

Karpiel has a way with words. She writes well, lyrically even with her prose flowing of
Science Fiction Addiction
Okay, so The Inventor by Morgan Karpiel wasn’t actually submitted to my site, but it’s been in my tbr pile for awhile now and since Steampunk is kind of dirty step-child of Science Fiction, I thought I’d review it anyway.

The Inventor is a story primarily about two people. The Countess of Caithmore who is a very formal, emotionally distant woman and a brilliant inventor named Ian whom she contracts to build her, well let’s not mince words, the world’s first powered sex toy. I know what you’re thi
Kelly
Jun 27, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, hello, sexy steampunk! I was intrigued enough by the synopsis on one of the other books in this series to pick up book 1 and give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did. Because sexy, steam powered pleasure machines are AWESOME!

I loved what Morgan Karpiel has created here. The world is as steampunky as one would wish. The characters were wonderful - sad, resigned, willing to try to break free of the confines of society in Leda's case and one hell of a sexy inventor in Ian. I'm not ashamed to admit
Felina
Jan 06, 2012 Felina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-3, 2012, kindle
I liked this little story. The premise was kind of strange but I thought the writing was well done. I've never read erotica before and it wasn't as shameful as I thought it would be. I've read worse in 'regular' books. I went ahead and picked up the other three from this little series for my Kindle.
Beth
May 09, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, short story
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I really liked this story. I thought there were great characters and an actually pretty well developed plot. It did feel like there were more almost bohemian type themes than Steampunk but I still enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the scenes with the Countess of Caithmore and Ian Anderson together when the Countess was testing the inventions that were designed for her. I liked that it showed Ian's understanding of how she was just a broken woman looking for something to prove that she wasn't just col ...more
MJ
Jul 03, 2011 MJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jo Notary
Feb 15, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
73pgs, Historical Fantasy Romantica,
♈Ariel Mathis♈
Erotic Steampunk, nice. After reading this story I had a liberating feeling. A sense of freedom for ones individualism. And it doesn't hurt to ask for help...*Raising eyebrows suggestively*
Kari Ramadorai
not at all what I was told to expect from the reviews. This is a novella, short, and very little plot with a lot of ... interaction.
Kat
Aug 16, 2011 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far pretty laughable but entertaining for 99 cents.
Michele Williams
Dec 26, 2012 Michele Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little steampunk/erotica book. Great read!
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Amanda King
Amanda King rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Sam Spencer
Sam Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Marilyn Vix
Marilyn Vix is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
Jason Lammers
Jason Lammers marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Baker Kindle
Baker Kindle marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Stephanie Clarke
Stephanie Clarke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Hislovinggrace
Hislovinggrace marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Jennifer Miller
Jennifer Miller rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Shelley Brian
Shelley Brian rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Christina Roberts
Christina Roberts rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
4362075
Morgan Karpiel lives and works in Eastern Europe. Her books are most often written on buses, or trains, or in quiet moments between cities. She writes romantic suspense, science fiction, fantasy and steampunk.
More about Morgan Karpiel...

Fantasies of New Europa (4 books)
  • The Admiral