Start by marking “Ties That Bind: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Ties That Bind: A Novel

Ties That Bind: A Novel

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  557 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
It all started in college, in the turbulent sixties, when Randolph and Jenna became lovers. Randolph knew the moment he saw Jenna Haywood that he had to make her his. But the path to love is not an easy one. His wealthy Grandmother Julia disapproves of the match and unbeknowst to him, his brother's seemingly docile fiancee has a few plans of her own that she would like to ...more
Published November 9th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Ties That Bind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ties That Bind

Pearl
May 01, 2012 Pearl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this novel. It took me a while to get into it because I was trying to read as I was moving, but once things got settled I was able to really get into the book. I really enjoyed the romance and the struggles Randolph and Jenna shared. There were times in the book when I didn't think it was going to be a happy ending, but it truly was. I was even more happy with the outcome of Angela. She really did have some issues that needed to be resolved. I am alway puzzled how anyone can be t ...more
Pamela
May 04, 2011 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was beyond words to explain. This should be the first book ever read by this author , I have read it 10 times , please dont skip this one.
Tamm
Jan 22, 2015 Tamm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was AMAZING!!! One of my most favorite books of all time!
K. N.
Nov 25, 2014 K. N. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book twice! I love Brenda Jackson's work. I really got into the book. I even got upset with the characters and felt what they felt.
Linda Edwards-White
Second Reading and I will read again

Moved to tears. The love shared in this saga by these characters was beautiful. The relationships were complex, happy, touching and real. The classism was embarrassing but real; and, the hatred, abuse of power, family and position was sickening. Brenda Jackson is a true artist. Each character was developed like a portrait. I could see each person as they matured throughout the story. The basic goodness and or deceitful traits of individuals reached the highest
T.
Oct 24, 2014 T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An all-time favorite and one that I remember 15+ years later
 Gen
Bettye Griffin
A heartwarming story, but a major error in the timeline rendered the whole thing implausible and considerably diminished my enjoyment. I believe this was the author's first attempt at writing expanded women's fiction. It was an ambitious project, spanning over 40 years, and it needed excellent editing, which sadly she did not receive. A good editor could have pointed out the problems for correction before publication. Unfortunately, editors don't do their jobs like they used to.

Two sets of grand
Tyeshia
Jun 15, 2016 Tyeshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will always and forever be: my first love. This is the book that took me from being a casual reader, to a self-proclaimed: BOOK JUNKIE!! I read this book years ago, but still remember every bit of it. If you haven't taken the time to read this book, please do so; you won't regret it!!!

Mikka
Dec 31, 2015 Mikka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aa-romance
I have re-read this book so many times over the years, it's one of my favorite books ever. I didn't care too much for the "sequel" to it, but I highly recommend this one.
Helen Horace
May 28, 2015 Helen Horace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I read a lost of books so I try to see were the writer is go with the characters but this one had me all over the places. Excellent book.
Mary Arterbery
Speechless

there are no words that can describe how I feel about this book, it deserves more than five stars. very good reading Brenda Jackson
Brandie Sanchez
Jan 20, 2015 Brandie Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite reads.
Cynthia Livingston
Good book!
Shawnette
Jul 18, 2007 Shawnette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't Put It Down

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Brenda Jackson is definitely a master of the written word. Couldn't stop until I was finished. Enjoyed the romance between all the couples but especially Jenna and Randolph. It was a story that contained so many things, history, love, suspense, betrayal, corruption, happiness and it spanned almost 50 years of family and friends. It should be a mini-series.
Anne
Jul 27, 2013 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a step up from beach read/chick lit but I liked it anyway. Historically it gave me some insight into how blacks viewed the 60s although the characters in this book were mainly upper middle class blacks. Parts of it were fairly predictable but Jackson has a good way with words and character development.
Olivia Ball
Jul 31, 2015 Olivia Ball rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying!
Ranata
Jul 20, 2008 Ranata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ranata by: alexander books
Good story. I didn't like the end too much what with the kids of the two that fell in love falling in love. Kinda gross if you ask me. LOL
Moni Love
Jan 17, 2013 Moni Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!! All Brenda Jackson's books are good but this one right here is my favorite!!!!
Zeena Sally
Jul 28, 2009 Zeena Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book and could not put it down. A very good read.
Williams Nicki
Apr 20, 2016 Williams Nicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Brenda Jackson amazing work and awesome characters
Therry Auguste
Dec 03, 2008 Therry Auguste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic full of emotion and perspectives
Jodie
This is my Favorite book I have read so far
KaTrina
Nov 07, 2011 KaTrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book.I could not put it down.
Tiffany
this book is excellent i was speechless
Patrice
Sep 18, 2012 Patrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG I LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!
Ramese
Jan 04, 2013 Ramese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books!
Demiko Davis-cherry
SUPERB
MARCY JACKSON
MARCY JACKSON rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
  • Welcome to Leo's
  • Nobody But You
  • Big Girls Don't Cry
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Wild Sweet Love
  • A Valentine Kiss: Cupids Bow\Made In Heaven\Matchmaker
In 1994, Brenda Jackson’s first novel, Tonight and Forever, was released. Since then she has had more than 100 novels and novellas published (the first African-American author to accomplish such a feat) and has over 3 million books in print.

A native of Jacksonville, Florida, Brenda is the first African-American author to have a book published by Harlequin Desire and the first African-American rom
More about Brenda Jackson...