Start by marking “Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (The Original Elsie Classics #2)” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (The Original Elsie Classics #2)

Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (Elsie Dinsmore #2)

In this second volume in The Original Elsie Dinsmore Series, Elsie is forced into an awful choice between loyalty to her savior and her father's affection. The turmoil of this conflict contributes to a life-threatening illness for Elsie.
Published March 1st 2000 by Cumberland House Publishing (first published January 1st 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Holidays at Roselands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Holidays at Roselands

Briana
Dec 21, 2008 Briana rated it did not like it
I don't think it's a good sign that I started hoping desperately for Elsie's death...but at least then she could go to heaven, I would feel satisfied, and this series could end at 2 books, instead of 2,000!!! Seriously...there's almost no point to this whole series...
Britt-goodie of newsieness
Sep 02, 2009 Britt-goodie of newsieness rated it did not like it
Shelves: yuck-books
I've read as much of this as I'm going to. I never want to read this again. It was awful. And boring. And horrible. And no food either.
Holly
Mar 29, 2012 Holly rated it liked it
ELSIE'S HOLIDAYS AT ROSELANDS is the sequel to ELSIE DINSMORE. It brings our heroine, sugar-sweet Elsie, into direct conflict with her godless, domineering Papa. Elsie, as introduced in the first volume, is picture-perfect, a little Southern belle living in Virginia in the 1840's. Elsie seems the ideal Christian child...except for her owning slaves, who are referred to throughout the book as inferior beings. (Even Aunt Chloe, Elsie's beloved mammy, is called a "creature.") Elsie doesn't object ...more
Faith
May 11, 2010 Faith rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, classic writing, however I feel that the storyline was drawn out a bit too much perhaps. Martha Finley repeatedly used a few situations, and tho it fit her character, I feel that Elsie's crying and dramatic anguish was worked too much. It seemed as though she was always in a turmoil, and while she was, and she was young, I tired of hearing the same thing happening over and over. But that wasn't a big deal, and I really did like the book a lot. If you ever get sick of modern writing, ...more
Rachel
Aug 24, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
My 2 daughters have loved all of the Elsie books that they have read. The 17 yo says it's the saddest of the books, but she still couldn't put it down. She has learned a lot from Elsie's attitude and wants to have a stronger Christian testimony as a result. I'm very glad we own all of these books. I read somewhere that Martha Finley was a contemporary of Louise May Alcott, and sold nearly twice as many books as Alcott, but the strong Christian influence of these books allowed them to become lost ...more
Shoshana
Same old Elsie, same old dad. This picks up exactly where Book 1 left off (apparently they were originally published together), and the differences are small. My fervor against the books remains intact, as does my fervor against Elsie's father. Elsie, though? Now that I've had over a year to get used to her existence (and continued publication and popularity, which is what's always worried me more), I mostly just feel sorry for her.
Ariel
Oct 27, 2014 Ariel rated it really liked it
The second book of the Elsie series was another great success! it especially touched my emotions much more deeply then the first. So much so that I found myself for the first time ever, while reading a book, on the verge of tears. It was a wonderful read and I'm very excited for the next one: Elsie's Girlhood.
Nicole G.
Still more didacticism. And some anti-Catholicism, too! Her dad is still a crazy person. However, I have to finish this series now, to see how much more wacky it gets . . .
Rachel
Jun 15, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
This series is a bit Calvinistic in its theology, and it's also a bit uber-Christian; i.e., the Christians are really, really good and the non-Christians are really, really bad.
Esther Filbrun
Mar 25, 2015 Esther Filbrun rated it it was amazing
This is my most favorite book out of all the Elsie stories. Highly recommended. (Full review coming soon.)
Grace
Oct 12, 2012 Grace rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Grace by: My father
It's been a really long time since I read this book, but as girl I really liked my Elsie Dinsmore books. Great classic books for girls.
Jessica Diaz
Sep 19, 2008 Jessica Diaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been years since I read these books, but I will say that they are wonderful stories. The outlook on life that Elsie keeps dispite her circumstances can be a great lesson for any age.
Hannah
Nov 05, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I loved this series when I was younger. I own almost all of the Elsie Dinsmore books and treasure them even to this day.
Becca
Apr 17, 2009 Becca added it
Made me cry a WHOLE lot more than any other book I've read. Except maybe the first one. That's only a maybe though...
Mecque
Jan 07, 2010 Mecque rated it really liked it
Being a Catholic myself, the climax of this book made me laugh hysterically. Amusingly melodramatic, and a good set up for the next book.
Meadow Frisbie
May 31, 2014 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
When Elsie's love for God causes conflict between her and her father. She will have to choose between her beloved earthy father or her heavenly father.
MaryRachel
Oct 30, 2008 MaryRachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked "Elsie Dinsmore"
This was a great book It was sad though :( But if you liked Elsie Dinsmore, you'll like Elsie's Holiday.
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Leesha Fischer
Leesha Fischer rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Nioniel
Nioniel rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2009
Johanna
Johanna rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Kori
Kori rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2009
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Hannah Weaver
Hannah Weaver rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Emily F.
Emily F. rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it did not like it
May 19, 2008
Ariane
Ariane rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2010
Roswitha
Roswitha rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2014
  • From the Ashes (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #10)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Mandie and the Charleston Phantom (Mandie Books, #7)
  • Rachel (Ellie's People #3)
  • Pieces of Light
  • So Much More
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

Elsie Dinsmore (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1)
  • Elsie's Girlhood (The Original Elsie Classics #3)
  • Elsie's Womanhood (The Original Elsie Classics, #4)
  • Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)
  • Elsie's Children (The Original Elsie Classics #6)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Grandmother Elsie (The Original Elsie Classics #8)
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • Elsie at Nantucket (The Original Elsie Classics #10)
  • The Two Elsies (The Original Elsie Classics #11)