Hush Little Baby

Hush Little Baby

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Hush little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's going to show you a hummingbird.
If that hummingbird should fly,
Mama's going to show you the evening sky.
From award-winning artist Sylvia Long comes a touching version of the well-known lullaby, Hush Little Baby. Each spread reveals a tender scene as a mama bunny lulls her baby bunny to sleep by enlisting a parade of bedtime wonde...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published January 1st 1997)

Angie
Synopsis: "Bedtime is a special ritual for parents and children. Lullabies often play an important role. This best-selling version of the beloved lullaby Hush Little Baby is now available in a sturdy board book making it perfect for sharing with the youngest children."

My Review: This is a wonderful book version of the song! The wording is slightly different than the song I remember but it is very appropriate for boys or girls. Honestly, you can't help but sing or hum the tune while reading it to...more
Eva Leger
1.5 - I'd love to have this explained to me. So I can just pick a song - any song - change the lyrics around a little bit, and then publish a book? Really? Golly gee, that's just awesome.
I'd venture that this is a waste of $12.95 and I'm delighted I didn't buy it.
**Keep watch for my version of Old MacDonald - coming soon to a town near you! Be sure to shell out the cash for it too - it's going to take a lot of work to create a couple of sentences that are pretty much the same as the song but j...more
Teri
This is a precious vversion of the classic lullaby and is the perfect bedtime melody to share with baby. The author is an award winning artist and the illustrations are beautiful portrayals of familiar bedtime rituals. Book features include beautifully detailed watercolors and simple, repetitive, rhyming text.

Audience/Age Level: 0-2

Instructional Ideas:
ELA: Poetry lessons; compare original lullaby to Long's version; choral reading

Writing: Focus on rhyming element of poetry and create a class ve...more
Bonnie McReynolds
Wonderful!

a friend gave this book at the birth of my third child. I wish I had it for all three. beautiful pictures and a theme that is very in tune to the beauty of nature. I have the board book, and also downloaded the kindle edition. I would recommend the actual book - children are able to more closely examine the illustrations.
Kathryn
3.5 STARS. I appreciate the idea behind Long's "revision" of the classic "Hush, Little Baby" lullaby, as she seeks to remove the "materialism" present in the original and replace it with a mother who reads and hugs her child, showing him/her the beauty of the night world. I think I was just a little disappointed in the illustrations since I loved her "An Egg is Quiet" so much--but, then, those were more realistic representations of the natural world and this a little more "cutesy" so perhaps I j...more
Shana Berschler
Reading this book, I automatically thought of my childhood and the warmth of my mother reading to me before I went to sleep. This children's book is based off of the lullaby "Hush Little Baby". The author changed around the words and incorporated a child and his mother. I believe stories like these are extremely important to read to young children. They will remember these stories throughout their life. Aside from the precious plot and meaning from the story, the illustrations are amazing.
Candice
Jan 05, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This is a re-wording of the classic song, and the lyrics are sweet, as are the pictures. Instead of buying a mockingbird or a diamond ring, the mother bunny shows her baby a hummingbird, the evening sky, and a shooting star, listens with baby to the crickets call, catches a lightning bug for baby, and sings of a host of other things to show the beauty of nature and parental love. A lovely bedtime story book that you can read or sing (you know the tune).
Erin
I much prefer this version of the Hush Little Baby song to the original. Instead of plying the child with gifts, the mother points out the enjoyable things already around them like the evening sky or a shooting star. The illustrations bug me a little bit. They are supposed to be rabbits but their ears are so out of proportion to their head that they look a little sinister to me. My three year old thinks they're cats, which works too.
Brandi
A sweet re-telling of the popular bedtime song.
Logan
L loved this one so much when he was 2ish, that I learned the song by heart and would sing it without the book, although I must say the pictures are so sweet. I'd forgotten about this book, (Logan is almost 6 now), but just came across it while cleaning out some shelves. Made me just a little bit teary, remembering those peaceful bedtimes, singing.
Kryptique
Great bedtime book, and I hear Shea Anne singing this to her dollies and toys and herself. She will ask for it repeatedly. I love that it's about the mom bunny showing things to the little bunny, and not buying him things. For instance, mom shows him a hummingbird, the evening sky, plays the banjo, reads him a book, etc. Lovely illustrations!
Ashley
A beautiful book re-writing the song "Hush Little Baby". I liked that this book re-wrote the song so it's not just about "buying" material things but about doing things together and seeing things that are beautiful already in existence around them. I sang this song/read the book to my infant class and they were all smiles. :)
Gwen
Read, and reading and reading and reading again, because I have a 3-year-old. I used to read this to my older son, as well. A very sweet non-consumerist update of the lullaby. Rafi loves the illustrations, and loves to snuggle under his own "mommy-made" quilt when we read the bedspread/quilt lines.
Janelle
I've always loved the melody of "Hush Little Baby" but hated the consumer driven lyrics. Finally someone has created an alternative poem, that brings a mother and her child through the evening as they get him ready for bed without buying anything! A breath of fresh air.
Loree
"Hush little baby, don't say a word. Mama is going to find you a hummingbird. If that hummingbird should fly, Mama is going to show you the evening sky...."

A gorgeous new take on a previously materialistic lullaby.
Emilysa
This takes the song and changes the words to incorporate nature. I agree with the author that the song with the same name is too much about happiness coming from a store with a big price tag. Not so. This is a better version.
Rachel
This is a nice version of "hush little baby" because it is not as materialistic as the original song. You can still sing all of the words to the original tune, though. Jacob really enjoys hearing me sing/read this book.
Ashley
Love this book! It's a different version than the Daddy's gonna buy you a diamond ring. This one doesn't deal with material items, rather items that the child already has or can be shown in nature. :)
Diane
Feb 15, 2008 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: All toddlers
A very sweet non-materialistic version of Hush Little Baby. My daughter loves it, sadly, her dad and I can never remember the verses without the book and end up making up some less exciting lyrics.
Shyam Rahim
Our copies, and we had to buy two(!), are worn, a few pages are torn, the cover is almost coming off. This was perhaps the most loved book in our home until the kids turned about 18 months.
Karen
Mar 09, 2008 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: mama and baby
Shelves: children
A re-telling of Hush Little Baby that advocates sharing the joy of life's little pleasures with your child rather than placating him/him with materialistic things. Really sweet.
Rebecca
We read/sing this book before every nap and bedtime. The illustrations are beautiful. I do understand her reasoning for rewriting the words, but I miss the original.
Molly Craig
An instant classic in our family. The author turns the old-fashioned lullaby into a sweet, loveable picture book. I now sing the "story" to my girls.
Quintin Bostic
Great book to use right before nap time everytime. Combined with a calming melody, this is a good book to calm any child.
Dawn
Mommy's going to show you a hummingbird instead of buy you a mockingbird in this story of a bunny's bedtime.
Becky
I sang this book to Annie and it had a very soothing effect. She wanted it over and over and over...
Kelly
A beloved family favorite for bedtime. Beautifully illustrated. Beautifully written.
Holly
This is one of Joshie's favorites right now. I love how it is written and illustrated.
Brenda
I love this little book and loved the illustrations. they are wonderful.
Used as the Read-Together for Bouncing Bunnies baby storytime October 2008.
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes...
  • I Love You As Much...
  • Everywhere Babies
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Baby Beluga
  • That's Not My Dragon... (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • First 100 Words
  • Let's Dance, Little Pookie
  • ABC: A Child's First Alphabet Book
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • On the Day You Were Born
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • More More More Said the Baby
  • Where Do Balloons Go?
  • Time for Bed
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
Sylvia Long is the illustrator of several books for children including the best sellers Ten Little Rabbits and Alejandro's Gift.
Ms. Long's detailed paintings are inspired by her love of animals and the outdoors. She lives in Arizona.
More about Sylvia Long...
Sylvia Long's Mother Goose Sylvia Long's Thumbelina Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star Ten Little Rabbits Deck the Hall: A Traditional Carol