Start by marking “Bug and Bear” as Want to Read:
Bug  and Bear

Bug and Bear

Bear learns to appreciate his best friend, Bug. Bear wants to nap and Bug wants to play, Bear learns to appreciate his friend and in the end they nap together. Ages 4-8

Published April 1st 2011 by Two Lions (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bug and Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bug and Bear

Mary
This story is one to which everyone can relate; sometimes, when we have a persistent friend when we want time alone we can say mean things. For the majority of the story, all Bear wants is to be left alone…all his friend Bug wants to do is play. Instead of explaining to Bug in a nice way that he would like to be left alone, Bear is very mean to Bug. Ultimately, Bear feels bad and apologizes. When she does, both Bug and Bear feel much better and nap together as the best of friends.

This tale sends
The Library Lady
Sep 08, 2011 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
My saccharine meter beeped steadily. "Cute" isn't always a good thing.
Sílvia
Oct 02, 2016 Sílvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, infantojuvenil
A amizade é linda linda linda!!! ;)
David
Sep 15, 2011 David rated it liked it
Bug and Bear by Ann Bonwill, illustrated by Layn Marlow is a book about friendship, learning to express yourself in a kind way, and treating your friends the way you'd like to be treated.

When Bug wants to play and Bear wants to nap, grumpy Bear is rather rude and mean to Bug and soon regrets it. They make up and remain friends.

The text is in a large font, with some of Bug's dialog written in a looped print in the wake of the flying bug.

The illustrations are rendered in gouache, pencil, watercol
Jenni
Sep 05, 2014 Jenni rated it really liked it
This is a really cute story about two friends who wake up with very different plans for how to spend the day. Bug is desperate to play but to his disappointment Bear is sleepy and wants to nap instead. Bear tries everything she can to get the message through to Bug that she doesn’t want to play, but instead Bug sees the potential for a game in everything that Bear does. Naturally both animals come Pthat will satisfy the reader. This book has great discussion potential, neither Bug or Bear are a ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Bug and Bear has some of the most adorable illustrations I have ever seen in a picture book. The subdued colors give a sweet feeling to the atmosphere. I loved how both Bear and Bug were illustrated.

The writing was well done, but I didn't like the concept of the story. The subtitle is "A Story of True Friendship", but Bear is miserable throughout the majority of the book. She employs various ways of hiding from Bug, and constantly tells him to go away and leave her alone. She is quite mean to h
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 23, 2011 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Bug wants Bear to play but Bear doesn’t feel like it. Bug tries every trick to talk Bear into playing, but Bug only succeeds in making Bear angry.

“Chameleon gave
as she’d hoped…
and along came Bug,
who spotted her
right away.
‘Hide and seek!’ said Bug. ‘Is that what we’re playing?’”

Bear uses things he sees around him to try to find ways to escape Bug and that’s inte
J.F. Sanborn
Sep 08, 2011 J.F. Sanborn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it takes a moment of reflection to realize that we haven't treated someone the way we'd like to be treated. Bug and Bear are best friends, but sometimes friends don't feel like playing, and feel like napping instead! Learning to express yourself in a kind and understanding way can be hard for children- and bears. So, when Bear hurts Bug's feelings, even a cozy cave can't make him feel good inside.

This book makes an excellent tool for teaching children about respecting the feeling's of
Nov 06, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
Bear just wants to take a nap but his friend Bug is, well, bugging him. Bear tries to avoid his friend using his animal friends' adaptations - a chameleon's camouflage, a turtle's ability to hide in its shell, a lizard staying perfectly still. Finally, Bear lumbers into her cave, leaving a disappointed Bug behind. Bear feels guilty and finds her friend. The apology, sweet and meaningful, is a good model for younger students.

Recommended for pre-K through grade 1.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I enjoyed this story of a grumpy little bear and a persistent bee. Bee wants to play with bear and continues to try and get bear to engage in games. Bear just wants to be left alone. When he finally gets to take a nap, he can't. Bear is thinking about how he treated his friend Bee. A sweet story of friendship, and how to repair a friendship when it is broken.
Brenna Call
Sep 09, 2011 Brenna Call rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I liked both the story about two friends who don't always see eye to eye and the beautiful illustrations. I love the illustrator's choice of colors and the unique look of the bear in the story is just great. These are some of my favorite illustrations so far this year. This book is just cute!!!
Lbrown107
Apr 17, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute story about friendship and could lead into a discussion about what friendship is and how people should treat each other. This book could also be used to talk about how to make things better once you have hurt someone's feelings. For this reason, I would recommend this book to any child that I notice having a conflict with friend.
Rosa Cline
May 28, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This was a sweet friendship book. A Bug and a Bear are friends. But Bear has woken up in a grumpy mood but bug wants her to play. She keeps after Bear trying to get Bear in a better mood. True friends being with one another even though one was not being very friendly. But in the end Bug gets Bear feeling better.
Melissa
Sep 17, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
The story doesn't say anything particularly new, but the illustrations are sweet. (I want to embroider the flowers and leaves.) The part I liked best was how Bear got ideas of how to hide from other animals (turtle, chameleon, lizard) but Bug just interpreted them as different games (Hide and Seek, Follow the Leader, Statues).
Chenoa
Apr 02, 2013 Chenoa rated it it was ok
I would characterize this book as "bland." Not terribly interesting, not terribly inventive, and it went too far in its pursuit of sweetness at the expense of the story. The pictures were cute, though.
Nanci Booher
Jul 05, 2012 Nanci Booher rated it it was amazing
A very sweet book about Bear, who is grumpy, and Bug who just wants to play with Bear. Bug keeps asking Bear to play and Bear keeps telling Bug to "bug off". Finally Bug gets the hint and when Bear decides to go to sleep, she has a hard time relaxing because of how she treated Bug.
Ruth
Mar 04, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story. My bookbag review is here: http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/i...
Melanie
May 20, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read for preschool unit on bugs and insects. Cute picture book with a meaningful story about being a true friend. I loved the illustrations by Layn Marlow.
Shanshad Whelan
Nov 04, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
It's alright, probably a two and half star book for the cute illustrations. But frankly I'll take Grumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard over this any day.
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Corinnagoodwin
Jun 27, 2015 Corinnagoodwin rated it really liked it
sweet
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2011
Zack
Zack rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Anne Beier
Anne Beier rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Sarah Heron
Sarah Heron rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Amber Hajos
Amber Hajos rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2014
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016