Start by marking “Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)” as Want to Read:
Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)

Bum Steer (Jenny Cain #6)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  312 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
From witty, suspenseful, sexy mysteries featuring the charming and complex amateur sleuth, Jenny Cain. In Bum Steer, a mysterious murder and a strange bequest send Jenny to the wild, wild West.
Published January 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Bum Steer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bum Steer

Katherine Clark
Jul 01, 2014 Katherine Clark rated it really liked it
I read this book for the monograph. It won the best novel award Agatha in 1990. (I'm going to have to check all these dates of the awards in these reviews.) This is part of the Jenny Cain series, and I love these books so much. It has been an incredible pleasure to reread the series, and I have to exercise some control not to restart the series for a third time. Wonderful. Sheila, if you read this review, this is a series you would love. I will try to remember to add this to the list I am creati ...more
Barbara ★
When the Civic Foundation of Port Frederick Massachusetts gets a strange $4 million bequest of a cattle ranch in Kansas, Executive Director Jenny Cain is sent to investigate it's validity. The Foundation would be expected to forever employ the two ranch hands and the family is forbidden to visit the ranch on threat of loss of inheritance. However, the day Jenny arrives, the bequestor, "Cat" is murdered and Jenny feels it her duty to find out what is going on in this Kansas town and why "Cat" has ...more
Lynda
Jul 28, 2015 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down from start to finish! Another good mystery in the Jenny Cain Mystery series. Now where is the next one? LOVED IT!
George
Jan 22, 2012 George rated it really liked it
#6 in the Jenny Cain mystery series. Jenny is the CEO of a charitable foundation in the fictional small town of Port Frederick, Mass. Nearly the whole story is set in the Mid and Southwest. Jenny is asked to come to Kansas City because the Foundation has been named as beneficiary to a large Kansas Ranch. Jenny is task to evaluate it and it quickly leads to murder. Jenny feels the bequest is suspicious and tries to determine why it was made along with solving the murder. Also involves members of ...more
JB
Jan 17, 2016 JB rated it really liked it
good pace & nice ending
Luz  C. Johnson
Sep 26, 2013 Luz C. Johnson rated it really liked it
This mystery broke the well established frame of “Poor Fred” surroundings, and took us to an exciting wild-wild west setting. The mysterious, elusive, and shady bequest of a three millions dollar ranch to the Frederick Civic Foundation turned out to be an interesting story of a man’s live and four marriages and several children later. This one was so obvious I cracked it right away. “There’s nothing more elusive than an obvious fact.”—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Kimberly
Jan 09, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Jenny Cain novels. Perhaps it's because it takes place in my native Kansas. Nevertheless, the title perfectly fits the novel because the reader discovers at the end that Pickard has given the reader a bum steer.
SmarterLilac
Feb 16, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it
Hysterical. I didn't think I could like a book as much as "Confession," but this installment in the Jenny Cain series is also great. Didn't guess the end until, well, the end. Totally satisfying mystery all around.
Elaine
Nov 29, 2013 Elaine rated it liked it
I liked this while I was reading it, but when I finished it, I have to admit I was left a little unsatisfied, and I'm not quite sure why. Not your run-of-the-mill mystery, though, that's for sure.
Tammy
Jan 07, 2013 Tammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was sort of disappointed in this Nancy Pickard story. Not very entertaining, but did have a good twist at the end.
Patty Sutton
Jul 29, 2011 Patty Sutton rated it really liked it
a great mystery set in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Believable surprise twists make it a fun read.
Julie H.
Jul 12, 2009 Julie H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
In this one, Jenny is dragged (kicking and screaming al the way) to a cattle ranch in Kansas.
Nancy Rodgers
Dec 17, 2015 Nancy Rodgers rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Fast and fun read.
Helen
Sep 21, 2011 Helen rated it liked it
Some times you wish you _had_ fallen for the red herrings.
BC or Brenda
Sep 26, 2012 BC or Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Not a bad little book. Want to read more of her stuff.
Donna
Sep 16, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
Funnest part - referencing Frango mints.
Jewett
Jewett rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Mike N
Mike N rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sarah Schandle
Sarah Schandle rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Vicki Wilson
Vicki Wilson rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Patricia Melson
Patricia Melson marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Mar 21, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Feb 19, 2016
The Transmuted Tree
The Transmuted Tree marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
  • Laughed 'Til He Died (Death on Demand, #20)
  • Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Puppet For A Corpse
  • Skinner's Ghosts
  • The Glitter Dome
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
  • That Way Murder Lies (Mitchell and Markby Village, #15)
  • The End of the Pier
  • Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • The Secret House of Death
  • Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)
  • Moonbird Boy (Bo Bradley, #4)
  • The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • Maigret and the Reluctant Witnesses
(from Wikipedia)

Nancy Pickard (born 1945) is a US crime novelist. She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. She also served on the board of directors of the Mystery Writers of America. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35.
More about Nancy Pickard...

Jenny Cain (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)
  • Say No to Murder (Jenny Cain, #2)
  • No Body (Jenny Cain, #3)
  • Marriage Is Murder (Jenny Cain, #4)
  • Dead Crazy (Jenny Cain, #5)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • The Virgin of Small Plains
  • But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8)
  • Confession (Jenny Cain, #9)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)