Start by marking “The Last Ride” as Want to Read:
The Last Ride

The Last Ride

A novel of the American West narrates the story of a dying man's attempts to make peace with his daughter, their struggle to rescue his granddaughter from renegades and slave traders, and his lifelong search for inner peace.
Published June 7th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published March 21st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Ride

Oscar
Nuevo México, 1886. En una tormentosa tarde, Jones llega al rancho Baldwin, donde viven Brake, Maggie y sus tres hijos. Es un extraño anciano, blanco, pero con vestimentas indias, acompañado de su vieja montura, una mula y un perro. Desde el primer momento, el misterio acompaña a este hombre, y más cuando Maggie da muestras de haberle conocido anteriormente. A partir de cierto hecho, en el que tienen que ver los apaches, empezará una serie de aventuras, con ciertos tintes sobrenaturales.

‘La últi
Dennis Goshorn
Jun 07, 2008 Dennis Goshorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted to this book after watching the movie by the same name. Of course the book is different and better than the movie—but the story of forgiveness, healing and redemption is evident in both. If you don't want to spend the time reading the novel, then get the movie.
I love the Western genre, but this story could just as easily take place in modern day America. The west of the 1880s is merely the setting that the author choose.
Becky Sharp
May 19, 2016 Becky Sharp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los mejores libros que he leído este año, con diferencia, maravilloso se queda corto. Culpabilidad, amor, redención, aderezado con aventura. Muy intenso, hasta el final te mantiene con un no sé qué dentro, como un nudo.
Yeva
Mar 24, 2009 Yeva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book impressed me enormously. Filled with pathos, it left me gasping at the depths it took me to emotionally. I loved it - hated it, hated the way it made me feel, and yet I couldn't stop reading it. I highly recommed this book.
Paul
Aug 16, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing
Watched the movie and decided to read the book. Much better than the movie. Very deep and emotional story with strong women protagonists. Not your typical western story with the guns and violence. A story of family love, hate and forgiveness.
Anna Criswell
Jun 07, 2012 Anna Criswell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh so much death! Not a fan of the ending. I like things to be resolved!
evie
Nov 17, 2016 evie rated it it was amazing

As a part of a trilogy and themed as 'family,' this wild tale captured my heart when unexpected love develops as a result of a terrifying incident. For me the narrative portrays that when all else seems lost there remains the love of family. And in this book the family comes from unexpected realms. I cried reading this story because of motherhood and fathers and what animals will accomplish for their humans. Then there were the ties between souls and the connection between us and the earth and w
César
Dec 13, 2016 César rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3'5
Dawn
Jun 02, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a touching story full of so much heartbreak.

Samuel Jones, who had abandoned his white family 30 years before to live with an Apache woman, returns to his daughter, Maggie Baldwin, in order to make peace with her before he dies (of tuberculosis, I believe). She is not receptive. Maggie's husband is shot and one of her daughters is taken captive by renegade Apaches who have left the reservation. Even though Maggie wants nothing to do with Jones "or his heathen ways", she has no choice bu
Erica
Aug 08, 2016 Erica rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie titled The Missing years ago and LOVED IT! The movie was based off of this book. While a lot is the same (names, character personalities), the story is very different in much of the plot (with added characters that were left out of the movie). Most of the book was kind of slow going for me, but I think this is more due to the fact that I like short chapters that make me feel like I'm making tons of progress and can stop easily at many points without losing the pace of the chapter ...more
Carl
Dec 02, 2013 Carl rated it liked it
I first came across this story as a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchet and as a lover of westerns it became one of my favourites.
The story centres on and old man who finds his family after being away for about 30 years.
He is met with hatred from his daughter and curiosity from hid granddaughters.
He is and old man who has become more Indian than white and has come home to die.
Circumstances intervene and one of the daughters is kidnapped by slave traders the gang is led by a rather
Raro de Concurso
Tengo impresiones encontradas con este libro. Por un lado me gustó la historia con el viejo indio al que todos desprecian y creen un loco, pero que luego, poco a poco, se va ganando la confianza de todos. La persecución, la búsqueda de uno mismo o de lo que realmente es al enfrentarse a los peligros del camino. También muy bien contado el dualismo religión india-religión católica. Así como el punto de vista indio, el odio mexicano y anglosajón hacia todo lo diferente, etc. Es decir, me gusta cas ...more
Debbie
Aug 03, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
I found the main charactor Jones frustrating as he remained a mysterious figure throughtout the book and at times his lack of dialogue prevented the flow of the storyline. I found Maggie and Dot strong women but they needed more to do and there was a lot more potential with their development.

The Apache family was hurriedly introduced and interesting charactors removed before we had a chance to get to know them.

I though the lame one would have a more significant connection to the storyline and f
Deanie
Dec 20, 2011 Deanie rated it liked it
Though a bit slow, I found I couldn't put this book down. The spiritual struggle faced by all of the characters got weary at times, but was realistic and dynamic. I really felt for the main heroine, Maggie, and the relationship with her father was built up nicely. The novel presents some very strong women, which I appreciated, and made you question the idea of family. Though I whined a bit about the pace, I must have really been drawn into the story because I had tears in my eyes at the end. A l ...more
KC
Gripping, thought-provoking, brutal, spiritual, and tender... This book by Eidson kept me emotionally engaged from page 1. A familiar plotline, where a young woman is abducted by Apaches and family members are desperately trying to find her. The difference is in who is searching and the backstory that exists between the searchers. Excellent story! Later made into a movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchette.
Jillian
LOVED this book. Gorgeous western writing, and the female protagonist simply leap off the page with such depth and strength that it makes you wonder what kind of incredible women Thomas Eidson has in his life to be able to write about them this way.

The Indian Sorcery and religion was fascinating, and made even better by the fact that there's a film version of this novel (The Missing).
Ricky
Jan 07, 2010 Ricky rated it really liked it
Thomas Edison has created a fantastic story that captures the Native American in conflict with the white American, which turns out to be an unforgettable tale of redemption and ultimate reconciliation, set amidst a harsh unforgiving landscape. This is an exciting thought provoking adventure story. The characters are wonderfully created and the narrative holds you throughout. "Great escapism"
Heather
Oct 14, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, compelling, beautiful. There are few books that I would recommend to absolutely everyone, but this is one of the few that make it into that category for me. The writing is engaging, the characters are beautifully developed and the story is both uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time.
Gary Mcgibbon
Sep 04, 2013 Gary Mcgibbon rated it it was amazing
This book takes you on a deep and emotional path. From page one you are drawn in to their world. You can almost taste the dust. A wonderful heart wrenching tale. This book will certainly stir your every emotion, even for the hardy. You become hopeful of a happy conclusion. I shall not spoil. A must read.
Jorge Edgar
Dec 25, 2013 Jorge Edgar rated it liked it
Bellos paisajes y una narrativa entretenida e interesante. Una bella y trágica novela que me mantuvo en todo momento en un "sube y baja" emocional. Personajes bien creados, con personalidad y gran realismo, el autor logra su cometido al contar una historia bien llevada y con una gran estructura.
Altamente recomendable.
Tammy
Jan 15, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it
This is not the type of book I normally read. I liked it, but didn't love it. The author did use a lot of good imagery though. I have to quote this part because it's amazingly good. "...there was nothing. No wind. No voices. Just the...leather noises from their saddles." Wow. That is something I wouldn't think to write, but I could totally feel like I was there when I read that!
John Butz
Jun 21, 2010 John Butz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very easy and enjoyable read. I found the story compelling and engaging. The writing is simple and direct. This is the kind of story you could read in a single sitting of about 3-4 hours. Not a typical western by any means.
Windy
Jan 14, 2013 Windy rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. A story set in the Wild West but it's not all guns and violence. The story of a family, strong women, the nature of love and forgiveness, how faith can shape your life.
I loved it - it made me cry.
Micki
Jun 20, 2014 Micki rated it liked it
Lived St. Agnes' Stand so ventured into Eidson's next book. Started out great then really bogged down with the hunt for Lily. Way too much Native American spirituality for me although it is an integral part of the story.
Hannah Garriock
Jul 25, 2013 Hannah Garriock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book and didn't know what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. It was fast moving, moody and above all story of a mother's and father's love. Not my usual choice of book but well worth a read.
Joanie Driemeyer
Jan 27, 2015 Joanie Driemeyer rated it it was amazing
I stayed up late finishing this one. I loved everything about it. I felt like i was there. Just stunning.

Read it.
Stephanie
Sep 14, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago... the book was good. We watched the movie and hated it... maybe it's cause we watched the edited one and we missed parts??? No idea, but I remember liking the book.
Shirley
Sep 03, 2011 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It was a mistake to see the movie after having read the book. The book was infinitely better. A great, exciting, suspenseful tale.
Saman Kashi

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Stephen
Mar 27, 2016 Stephen rated it it was ok
I read the book after watching the second half of the film (starring Tommy Lee Jones) and thinking that the book might answer some of the questions about this strange film. It did. It was strange.
  • Boone's Lick
  • The Return of Little Big Man
  • A Time for Angels
  • The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • Warlock (Legends West, #1)
  • The Searchers