Start by marking “The Last Ride” as Want to Read:
The Last Ride

The Last Ride

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A novel of the American West narrates the story of a dying man's attempts to make peace with his daughter, their struggle to rescue his granddaughter from renegades and slave traders, and his lifelong search for inner peace.
Published June 7th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published March 21st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Ride

Dennis Goshorn
I was attracted to this book after watching the movie by the same name. Of course the book is different and better than the movie—but the story of forgiveness, healing and redemption is evident in both. If you don't want to spend the time reading the novel, then get the movie.
I love the Western genre, but this story could just as easily take place in modern day America. The west of the 1880s is merely the setting that the author choose.
Yeva
This book impressed me enormously. Filled with pathos, it left me gasping at the depths it took me to emotionally. I loved it - hated it, hated the way it made me feel, and yet I couldn't stop reading it. I highly recommed this book.
Carl
I first came across this story as a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchet and as a lover of westerns it became one of my favourites.
The story centres on and old man who finds his family after being away for about 30 years.
He is met with hatred from his daughter and curiosity from hid granddaughters.
He is and old man who has become more Indian than white and has come home to die.
Circumstances intervene and one of the daughters is kidnapped by slave traders the gang is led by a rather
Debbie
I found the main charactor Jones frustrating as he remained a mysterious figure throughtout the book and at times his lack of dialogue prevented the flow of the storyline. I found Maggie and Dot strong women but they needed more to do and there was a lot more potential with their development.

The Apache family was hurriedly introduced and interesting charactors removed before we had a chance to get to know them.

I though the lame one would have a more significant connection to the storyline and f
Deanie
Though a bit slow, I found I couldn't put this book down. The spiritual struggle faced by all of the characters got weary at times, but was realistic and dynamic. I really felt for the main heroine, Maggie, and the relationship with her father was built up nicely. The novel presents some very strong women, which I appreciated, and made you question the idea of family. Though I whined a bit about the pace, I must have really been drawn into the story because I had tears in my eyes at the end. A l ...more
KC
Gripping, thought-provoking, brutal, spiritual, and tender... This book by Eidson kept me emotionally engaged from page 1. A familiar plotline, where a young woman is abducted by Apaches and family members are desperately trying to find her. The difference is in who is searching and the backstory that exists between the searchers. Excellent story! Later made into a movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchette.
Edgar Mora-Reyes
Bellos paisajes y una narrativa entretenida e interesante. Una bella y trágica novela que me mantuvo en todo momento en un "sube y baja" emocional. Personajes bien creados, con personalidad y gran realismo, el autor logra su cometido al contar una historia bien llevada y con una gran estructura.
Altamente recomendable.
Jillian
LOVED this book. Gorgeous western writing, and the female protagonist simply leap off the page with such depth and strength that it makes you wonder what kind of incredible women Thomas Eidson has in his life to be able to write about them this way.

The Indian Sorcery and religion was fascinating, and made even better by the fact that there's a film version of this novel (The Missing).
Ricky
Thomas Edison has created a fantastic story that captures the Native American in conflict with the white American, which turns out to be an unforgettable tale of redemption and ultimate reconciliation, set amidst a harsh unforgiving landscape. This is an exciting thought provoking adventure story. The characters are wonderfully created and the narrative holds you throughout. "Great escapism"
Heather
This book was amazing, compelling, beautiful. There are few books that I would recommend to absolutely everyone, but this is one of the few that make it into that category for me. The writing is engaging, the characters are beautifully developed and the story is both uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time.
Gary Mcgibbon
This book takes you on a deep and emotional path. From page one you are drawn in to their world. You can almost taste the dust. A wonderful heart wrenching tale. This book will certainly stir your every emotion, even for the hardy. You become hopeful of a happy conclusion. I shall not spoil. A must read.
John Butz
A very easy and enjoyable read. I found the story compelling and engaging. The writing is simple and direct. This is the kind of story you could read in a single sitting of about 3-4 hours. Not a typical western by any means.
Micki
Lived St. Agnes' Stand so ventured into Eidson's next book. Started out great then really bogged down with the hunt for Lily. Way too much Native American spirituality for me although it is an integral part of the story.
Windy
What a wonderful book. A story set in the Wild West but it's not all guns and violence. The story of a family, strong women, the nature of love and forgiveness, how faith can shape your life.
I loved it - it made me cry.
Hannah Garriock
I was given this book and didn't know what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. It was fast moving, moody and above all story of a mother's and father's love. Not my usual choice of book but well worth a read.
Stephanie
I read this a long time ago... the book was good. We watched the movie and hated it... maybe it's cause we watched the edited one and we missed parts??? No idea, but I remember liking the book.
Saman

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده‌ است؛ می‌توانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Shirley
It was a mistake to see the movie after having read the book. The book was infinitely better. A great, exciting, suspenseful tale.
Tommy Estlund
I'm not usually one for Westerns, but this was phenomenal. Absolutely riveting, a real page-turner. I highly recommend this one!
Lia
This was a quick read and an entertaining story, but I wouldn't exactly call it a masterpiece of literature.
Bob Suggs
Fun read, this book was the basis of the movie "The Missing" with tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett.
Jan Pidhayny
Very well written although the ending was predictable - Mad Indian 0 - Courageous white woman 1
Paige Comston
I first discovered the movie, then went in search of the book. I was taken by both.
Keith Slade
Good western novel. The Missing, Ron Howard's film with Tommy Lee Jones, is based on it.
Anna Mattheus
Ugh so much death! Not a fan of the ending. I like things to be resolved!
Olive Fowler
You just want Eidson's books to go on and on! A brilliant storyteller!
Michelle
So, so, so much death, but interesting look at life on the frontier.
Kathryn
Fast becoming one of my favorite authors. This book is worth reading.
Doubledf99.99
good western novel, which I think the movie missing was based on.
Michael
brilliant storytelling.had me hooked from beginning to end.
  • Welcome to Hard Times
  • The Missing
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  • White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves in America
  • Nothing That Meets the Eye: The Uncollected Stories of Patricia Highsmith
  • Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America
  • Natural Flights of the Human Mind
  • Jubilee
  • The Case of Lucy Bending
  • Warlock (Legends West, #1)
  • Beside The Ocean Of Time
St Agnes' Stand All God's Children Hannah's Gift Souls of Angels: A Novel St. Agnes' Stand