Start by marking “A Belle in Brooklyn: Advice for Living Your Single Life and Enjoying Mr. Right Now” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  53 reviews
As the go-to girl for relationship and dating advice, this real life Carrie Bradshaw and editor at "Essence "magazine shares the what-to-dos and what-not-to-dos for fabulous single living. With an award-winning popular blog and an "Essence "magazine platform, Demetria Lucas has become a relationship guru to millions of young women with plenty of simple, direct advice. Acco ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about A Belle in Brooklyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Belle in Brooklyn

Regina
I always, ALWAYS try and keep an open mind when reading. I also try and keep an open mind in terms of the differences and similarities of married and single lives. I try and read lots of books on dating and single life, because they truly benefit relationships as a whole, and not just new ones. With all that being said, this book was a perfect fit for me.

First of all, I have to admit that what I enjoyed most about Ms. Lucas' book...is Ms. Lucas. I may not agree with each and every philosophy or
Tawanda
Despite being a subscriber to the author's blog for over two years, I was a little weary to pick this book up. I'm not big on "advice" books or paying jacket price for books. That all changed after reading the teaser on iTunes. I LOVED this book. It's more of a coming of age story with good solid advice. I even had a small "a-ha" moment. If you're a upwardly mobile, black single girl living in or near a large metropolitan city, you're going to find yourself both laughing with and empathizing wit ...more
M.C. Walker
This is the best relationship book I have ever read. The writers voice is young, refreshingly honest, and relateable. I could not put this book down. I really enjoyed taling the journey with the writer as she chased her dreams, discovered herself, and hoped for love. Demetria is real life black woman Carrie Bradshaw, u got to read this book with your girlfriends and save it for your daughters. :)
Princess Jones
I was introduced to Demetria Lucas through her blog and her TV show. She also has an AskFM channel where she answers relationship questions that I like to read sometimes. Reading this book was like having meeting someone your friends have all told you about but you've never met yourself.

There is a knack to writing about your life to be sold to others. You have to write about the interesting stuff while drawing a line at what is private to you. And personally, I just don't think that telling a b
Maiah
I consider myself a rare breed.

I’m an African American twenty-something woman who grew up in the suburbs of Boston. Though I currently live in NYC, my roots (no matter how bougie I may have become) are what made me, and I hold tight to those.

In looking for things to relate to, I found there was a wide gap between Sex & the City and Girlfriends. This gap also exists between Teri McMillian and Jeannette Walls. I was searching for someone like me represented in media and she was nowhere to be
Sheronda
LOVED it! This is the book "Bitch is the new Black" aspires to be. Demetria (30+) reflects on her life as a twenty-something and what could have easily evolved into a nauseating "self-help" book is instead a charming, witty collection of stories. The author shares several aspects of her life including love, career, triumphs and pitfalls all while navigating through the crazy place that is NYC. All women can relate to at least one storyline in this book and I greatly recommend.
Jareesa
I enjoyed this book, but to me it reads like a memoir, not a guide on how-to maximize your single life. I love Belle's writing and storytelling, but if you're looking for dating instructions, dont pick up this book. Read this book if you want to read witty, entertaining writing.
Jacqueline
So, I purchased this book with high hopes, however my hopes were disappointed. I admire women who are independent, strong, and persistent on their dreams, therefore the book received 2 stars for that part. Also, the book is an easy read, so a plus if you do no want to be challenged.

The book was more of an auto-biography than an advise book. It took me 3 months to read due to the lack of interest after the first few chapters. However, I made a promise to myself that I will not quit another book
Shakira
I thought this book was very entertaining and offered some life lessons that you can incorporate in your own life or even cause you to think about relationships and interactions differently. It also offers some tips as well.
Deuce Bigelow
It wasn't at all what it presented itself to be but it was still a decent, easy read. I think it's pretty crazy that she's a "relationship expert" for Essence magazine though. Girlfriend has some serious issues.
Reecee Rae
it was a nice book. wasn't what I was expecting but a good read
Shamekia
I give this book and F! Fast, Fun, and Fabulous! It totally confirmed that all of my fantasies of living it up in the big city are possible if only I weren't too cheap to move to NYC. Parties, upon parties, cute shoes and sexy men? Sign me up!

This book met my long awaited desire for 'black girl chick lit'. I read a lot of chick lit...A LOT. I love a lighthearted and entertaining read (or movie). And while I have no problem with a young white lead character I do wish that there were more options
Jessica Washington
Ok, I will preface this review with stating the fact that I don't read nonfiction books in my downtime. I definitely do not read relationship books. But, since I love Essence magazine so much, I thought that a relationship book written by a black woman and the Essence relationships writer would be a great choice. I also need to let you know that I am obsessed with the state of Black America and all of the relationship info and media about black people in relationships, especially black women. I ...more
Shanae
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and wish I could give it like 4.5 stars (I'm taking half a star off because I didn't like the ending or the way she did Greg lol). I read it as an advice book based on Lucas's experiences (all of which I'd love to have, I'm completely jealous of her lol). Unfortunately, the book was not so much about enjoying your single life or enjoying Mr. Right Now. Lucas never seemed to enjoy being single and she never seemed to really enjoy any of her Mr. Right Nows, though sh ...more
Devoynne
fun, light, casual read. at first, i thought Demetria to be pretentious, and was glad i borrowed this book from the library instead of purchasing it. however, she later showed some vulnerability which kept me reading. this book was definitely better than i expected and the stories made me laugh, say, "yes, girl" out loud, and gave me new cuisine for thought. considering adding it to my library. #notwastingmypretty
Carmen Blakely
Despite the title, this book would be appropriate for any young woman. Married, single or with Mr. Right Now you will find you share some parallels with Demetria's experiences. It reads more like an autobiography than an instruction manual. I loved it.
Amber Nefertari
Long story short this book was awesome; a very juicy read. Lucas did a great job of recalling her relationships and experiences moving from a small town to the big city. This book is perfect for the young career girl trying to find love.
Tammy
Feb 07, 2015 Tammy added it
This book was ok. I definitely would not recommend buying because it is just a compilation of all her readers questions categorized. If you follow her on the blogs it is basically the same advise.
Christina
I have been following Demetria's work in Essence and I love it! It was only natural that I read her book and it was AMAZING!! At last, I finally get the whole "Sex and The City" craze! I was able to see myself, my sister, my best friends and a few Facebook updates right on the pages of her book. Like many women who aspire to live the fab life of a Manhattan socialite, I have lusted after Brooklyn for as long as I can remember! Soo exciting to have my very own Demetria ( I read she's not too fond ...more
Jessica
This book was a quick, light and enjoyable read. I could relate very well to a lot of the stories as I think most of my girlfriends would. If you are looking for a beach read I think this is a great choice.
Stephanie Mann
Great Read

Kudos to Ms Lucas for finally showing the single black woman as happy, sexy and desirable. This book is way over due.
Stanjay Daniels
So, this book wasn't what I was expecting but it still was decent and did make me think about some things!
Ericka Johnson
It had funny moments but it read more like an autobiography than an advice book
Alex
This book made me happy. Her party life reminded me of one of my friends. Then the way she writes makes me think of another friend of mine. And then her personality was so me. I really enjoyed this book. I'm sad that it's a library book and I gotta give it back.
Eunita
"Belle in Brooklyn" offers a fresh, new perspective on dating.Instead of providing a list of Do's and Dont's, "A Belle in Brooklyn" is more of a "coming of age" story about a woman in her 30's. She takes us on a journey from naivete to self-awareness and self-love. I appreciate the inclusion of males' perspectives also to present well-rounded ideals.

Demetria comes off as personable, and readers can relate to her experiences. I would love to her more from Ms. Lucas!
Kenda
Love, love, love, love this book!!
Latiffany
I didn't like or even enjoy this book. I finished it because I don't like to leave things incomplete. I appreciated how the author spent her twenties chasing her dreams and dating, rather than settling as many women tend to do. Other than that, the book offered little else. It was simply pages and pages of her chronicling her mild dating experiences. Other than a short guest appearance by Suge Knight, her story is pretty bland.
B. Jones
I bought this book because I love the relationship Demetria Lucas gave out through thousands online through her blog and other sources. Although the book really seems more like a set of short stories through out her life, it does offer some relationship and life advice. It's probably a book best suited for women with careers and living in big cities with lots of things to do. I'll probably be rereading it in the near future.
Terra Holman
Good for what is it.
  • Single Girl Summer
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Black Woman Redefined: Dispelling Myths and Discovering Fulfillment in the Age of Michelle Obama
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Super Rich : A Guide to having it all
  • The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life
  • Unbought And Unbossed
  • Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America
  • Eva's Man
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • The Conversation: How Black Men and Women Can Build Loving, Trusting Relationships
  • 51/50 The Magical Adventures of a Single Life
  • Nappy Hair
  • Kinky Gazpacho: Life, Love & Spain
  • Bitch Is the New Black: A Memoir
  • Satin Doll
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
Don't Waste Your Pretty: The Go-to Guide for Making Smarter Decisions in Life & Love