Start by marking “Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide” as Want to Read:
Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"The best guide to the Metasploit Framework." —HD Moore, Founder of the Metasploit ProjectThe Metasploit Framework makes discovering, exploiting, and sharing vulnerabilities quick and relatively painless. But while Metasploit is used by security professionals everywhere, the tool can be hard to grasp for first-time users. Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide fills th ...more
Published July 22nd 2011 by No Starch Press (first published May 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Metasploit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metasploit

Michael
Where to start? The Metasploit Framework (MSF) is a very popular penetration testing tool used by security professionals the world over. It was previously written in Perl but underwent a complete rewrite for version 3, where the developers switched the project to Ruby. The tool unifies the various stages of penetration testing in convenient interfaces (“msfconsole” for interactive use and “msfcli” for scripting purposes): information gathering and storage, exploit and payload configuration, IDS ...more
Eric Gragsone
I mainly picked this up for the chapter on the Social-Engineering Toolkit, but I felt much of the content for both SET and Metasploit was already well documented online (http://www.offensive-security.com/met...). But if you prefer serial content over hyperlinked, then this is a decent version.
Tom
This book was great but it is quickly dated. A lot of the information is now online but that is ok its still a great place for a beginner to start.
Kenneth Miller
Bought this with IASP scholarship money. Read it front to back, was not required by any class.
Allyn
I have occasionally played Metasploit with friends and recently started playing at home, so this seemed like a good guide. The first chapter adds some interesting commentary to the storyline but can be skipped by those not completely interested in the thin plot. Other than that, this book is a standard walkthrough with some hints and easter eggs. My biggest complaint is that even after reading this book cover to cover, I'm still trying to figure out how to beat this game.
Pranshu Bajpai
Awesome book for anyone new to Metasploit framework. Also check out the Metasploit unleashed tutorials on official website.
Timo
A good introductory to the different ways of using Metasploit. Since I had already some previous experience using Metasploit my favorite chapters were the one covering usage of Meterpreter and how to create your own module or how to port your own exploits to Metasploit framework. In the end of the book there was also a nice chapter how to set up a small and vulnerable network for testing different attacks which I also found a good addition to the book.
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ  الهاشمي
Probably one of the best penetration testing books I have ever read. You will need basic linux knowledge and a backtrack distro to be able to get most of this book. It first teaches you the basics of Metasploit then you go deeper and deeper.

some of the commands are outdated however I am pretty sure a hacker like you can manage to get him/herself updated.

And remember: Hugs are always better than handshakes !!;-)
Nothing ...
it's the best book that's i ever read it .. it's open my eyes to sea everything that's i wasn't sea it before ..
i really enjoy to read all the book and i was so sad because the book is finish ! ..
and know i recommend every one to read this book to know how thing work and to sea the world in really life ..
thaks to u Devid kenndy FOR the writting the book and shared whit us !
Alex
Its too short, mostly novice tutorials.

Last chapters on exploit development / adapting side exploits for Metasploit Framework and scripting were best but still too thin.

This book is more like introduction articles on Metasploit / SET / Fast Track / etc. Such famous authors could write multiple thousand+ pages volumes on each topic for good I think.
Charles Bellefleur
This book serves as an excellent way to learn the Metasploit framework. Very clear and detailed information, well explained and a great structure makes it easy to follow and assimilate. Only chapter that could have been better is the "real-life example of a complete pen test".
Billy
This book is great for anyone trying to pick up advanced metasploit methodology. Great as a reference and for first timers that want a complete walk through.
Wolfgang Barthel
One of the best Metasploit books out there. It covers the basics but also some more advanced stuff very useful in my daily pentesting live out there :)
Patrick
A fantastic resource. I think that if I worked in the field, I'd make this a book to reread regularly. Each time you'd pick out more useful details.
Richard Wall
Very informative book. I'm a system administrator and found the information very helpful when trying to secure a network from outside attack.
L3ghost
Great book but, it is outdated. For people wanting to read this book, I recommend reading the manual thats in Kali(new bt5).
William
Covers everything you need to know about the Metasploit framework. No more no less. I liked it.
Stephen Linderman
Its david kennedy you really can't say any thing else. Your going to get the best from the best.
Joe Visconti
A very technical book that can get you up and running on metasploit; if you are patient
Alberto Zapatero
Alberto Zapatero marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Yashwanth Yellapragada
Yashwanth Yellapragada marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Rafi
Rafi added it
Nov 21, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Nov 17, 2014
Toni Petrov
Toni Petrov marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Reginald deGuzman
Reginald deGuzman marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Google Hacking for Penetration Testers, Volume 1
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions, Fifth Edition
  • Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »