Start by marking “Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide” as Want to Read:
Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  370 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"The best guide to the Metasploit Framework." —HD Moore, Founder of the Metasploit ProjectThe Metasploit Framework makes discovering, exploiting, and sharing vulnerabilities quick and relatively painless. But while Metasploit is used by security professionals everywhere, the tool can be hard to grasp for first-time users. Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide fills th ...more
Published July 22nd 2011 by No Starch Press (first published May 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Metasploit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metasploit

Michael
Aug 23, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: security
Where to start? The Metasploit Framework (MSF) is a very popular penetration testing tool used by security professionals the world over. It was previously written in Perl but underwent a complete rewrite for version 3, where the developers switched the project to Ruby. The tool unifies the various stages of penetration testing in convenient interfaces (“msfconsole” for interactive use and “msfcli” for scripting purposes): information gathering and storage, exploit and payload configuration, IDS ...more
Allyn
Aug 26, 2013 Allyn rated it liked it
I have occasionally played Metasploit with friends and recently started playing at home, so this seemed like a good guide. The first chapter adds some interesting commentary to the storyline but can be skipped by those not completely interested in the thin plot. Other than that, this book is a standard walkthrough with some hints and easter eggs. My biggest complaint is that even after reading this book cover to cover, I'm still trying to figure out how to beat this game.
Eric Gragsone
Mar 06, 2014 Eric Gragsone rated it liked it
I mainly picked this up for the chapter on the Social-Engineering Toolkit, but I felt much of the content for both SET and Metasploit was already well documented online (http://www.offensive-security.com/met...). But if you prefer serial content over hyperlinked, then this is a decent version.
Jason
Jul 30, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Although the principles within this book are still relevant and very helpful, the book is outdated and a revised version hasn't been published. An even newer version of Metasploit is being released at DEFCON 23 which will further make this book obsolete.
Tom
Jun 18, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
This book was great but it is quickly dated. A lot of the information is now online but that is ok its still a great place for a beginner to start.
Ankit
Jan 29, 2016 Ankit rated it it was amazing
A must read for all exploit development enthusiasts and penetration testers. More of a handbook to keep by your side.
Omar Chajia
Apr 23, 2015 Omar Chajia rated it really liked it
for those who want to go deep in exploitation and hack like hugh jackman in swordfish movie
Kenneth Miller
Oct 19, 2014 Kenneth Miller rated it it was amazing
Bought this with IASP scholarship money. Read it front to back, was not required by any class.
Pranshu Bajpai
Mar 24, 2014 Pranshu Bajpai rated it really liked it
Shelves: info-sec
Awesome book for anyone new to Metasploit framework. Also check out the Metasploit unleashed tutorials on official website.
Timo
Jan 20, 2012 Timo rated it liked it
A good introductory to the different ways of using Metasploit. Since I had already some previous experience using Metasploit my favorite chapters were the one covering usage of Meterpreter and how to create your own module or how to port your own exploits to Metasploit framework. In the end of the book there was also a nice chapter how to set up a small and vulnerable network for testing different attacks which I also found a good addition to the book.
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ
Nov 16, 2012 عَبدُالكَرِيمْ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: penttest, hacking
Probably one of the best penetration testing books I have ever read. You will need basic linux knowledge and a backtrack distro to be able to get most of this book. It first teaches you the basics of Metasploit then you go deeper and deeper.

some of the commands are outdated however I am pretty sure a hacker like you can manage to get him/herself updated.

And remember: Hugs are always better than handshakes !!;-)
Nothing ...
Jul 25, 2013 Nothing ... rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hacking
it's the best book that's i ever read it .. it's open my eyes to sea everything that's i wasn't sea it before ..
i really enjoy to read all the book and i was so sad because the book is finish ! ..
and know i recommend every one to read this book to know how thing work and to sea the world in really life ..
thaks to u Devid kenndy FOR the writting the book and shared whit us !
Alex
May 17, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
Its too short, mostly novice tutorials.

Last chapters on exploit development / adapting side exploits for Metasploit Framework and scripting were best but still too thin.

This book is more like introduction articles on Metasploit / SET / Fast Track / etc. Such famous authors could write multiple thousand+ pages volumes on each topic for good I think.
Charles Bellefleur
Dec 16, 2013 Charles Bellefleur rated it really liked it
This book serves as an excellent way to learn the Metasploit framework. Very clear and detailed information, well explained and a great structure makes it easy to follow and assimilate. Only chapter that could have been better is the "real-life example of a complete pen test".
Billy
Oct 08, 2012 Billy rated it it was amazing
This book is great for anyone trying to pick up advanced metasploit methodology. Great as a reference and for first timers that want a complete walk through.
Wolfgang Barthel
Oct 17, 2012 Wolfgang Barthel rated it it was amazing
One of the best Metasploit books out there. It covers the basics but also some more advanced stuff very useful in my daily pentesting live out there :)
Patrick
Oct 25, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
A fantastic resource. I think that if I worked in the field, I'd make this a book to reread regularly. Each time you'd pick out more useful details.
Richard Wall
Jun 29, 2013 Richard Wall rated it it was amazing
Very informative book. I'm a system administrator and found the information very helpful when trying to secure a network from outside attack.
L3ghost
Oct 17, 2013 L3ghost rated it it was amazing
Great book but, it is outdated. For people wanting to read this book, I recommend reading the manual thats in Kali(new bt5).
William
Sep 18, 2011 William rated it really liked it
Covers everything you need to know about the Metasploit framework. No more no less. I liked it.
Stephen Linderman
Oct 13, 2012 Stephen Linderman rated it it was amazing
Its david kennedy you really can't say any thing else. Your going to get the best from the best.
Joe Visconti
A very technical book that can get you up and running on metasploit; if you are patient
Christian González
Christian González marked it as to-read
Ethan
Ethan rated it it was ok
Darrell
Darrell marked it as to-read
Wakel
Wakel rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Billy
Billy marked it as to-read
David
David marked it as to-read
Bill Reyor
Bill Reyor rated it really liked it
Tim Crothers
Tim Crothers rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Not understanding the Test Network 1 3 Dec 24, 2014 09:41AM
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • The Art of Software Security Assessment: Identifying and Avoiding Software Vulnerabilities
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • A Bug Hunter's Diary: A Guided Tour Through the Wilds of Software Security
  • SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »