Start by marking “The Choice” as Want to Read:
The Choice

The Choice

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  3,434 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Choice! The key is Choice. You  have options. You need not spend your life  wallowing in failure, ignorance, grief, poverty, shame,  and self-pity. But, hold on! If this is true then  why have so many among us apparently elected to  live in that manner? The answer is obvious. Those who  live in unhappy failure have never exercised their  options for a better way of life be ...more
Published February 2nd 2011 by Bantam (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choice

Emily S.
Feb 16, 2010 Emily S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
This is really one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's a self-help book hidden inside a great story, and one that makes you stop and think. I actually burned the chicken tonight trying to finish the last two chapters!

Mandino takes what is usually a preachy subject (how to live our lives) and turns it into an introspective feast. By setting his advice to a fictional story, he makes it interesting without being trite or lightheaded. I appreciated that. I can't handle the self-help boo
Jeffrey Lindahl
Jan 06, 2013 Jeffrey Lindahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well first off; I've never read a motivational book such as this. However I was recommended this book by a family friend and frankly, I couldn't put it down. It starts with an extremely successful business man who is making more money than he can spend, and is about to be promoted. However the nauseatingly quick development of his son shocks him when he recognizes it. He's spent all of his time working instead of enjoying life and his family. He quits his job, rejecting his promotion to Vice Pr ...more
Melanie
This book was a quick and easy read. It was a bit odd at times, but overall I appreciated Mandino's message about making the choice to live a successful life through prioritizing those relationships that matter the most. Mandino delivers his message through the story of a man who quits his high-paying, long-hour job to pursue a dream of writing and to spend more time with his family. I liked the following quote very much:

"I am convinced that the greatest legacy we can leave our children are happ
Niko
Jan 25, 2013 Niko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular book. I've read this book for the second time three days ago and it still gave me the chills. A wonderful and a good kind of chill, mind you.
Heather
Aug 22, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! :) This book is a reminder of the importance of having your priorities straight. :) It is also about true success and the importance of our choices. I am inspired by Mark Christopher's choice to quit his job to spend more time with his family...even when that meant more uncertainty and risk in making ends meet for a while. I love his choice to write. It's neat to see his success and how he is able to help others, but especially that he doesn't let that change him. "I ch ...more
Tina
Jul 25, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book have brought out how we must make our choices to live a better life. The story is really touching and reiterates the importance of the family. The moments and experiences well spent with the person you love and the happiness you get from it. It was an almost perfect life with a twist of some tragedy will happen in the end that will break your heart. It also includes some ghost or a heavenly manifestation which is not that bad but gives some kind of feeling that ruins the story. It just ...more
Nickie
Feb 25, 2012 Nickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blessing of sickness is that you sometimes get to read more than normally. I was happy to have this book find me at our local Deseret Industries last week. And then I got sick and had a lovely time reading this short story.As I read I wondered about Og and his master story telling ideas. How does he keep you wanting to find out what happens?
The reading of this is timely as we have been hold discussions about moral agency and the choice to act or be acted upon. Here is a quote we talked about
Alexa Montes De Oca
Every summer since everyone gets the same disease (boreness) so my dad makes me read an inspirational book from his whole bookshelf. Afterwards, he makes me write an essay, summarizing the book. Since I was forced to read this book by my dad 2 years ago I was soooooo mad. But after I actually gave the book a chance it was pretty good. The first 30-50 pages it was pretty boring but later on it became really interesting and it grabbed my attention. It might be a little too complicated for some peo ...more
Jill
Sep 17, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this 20 years ago and loved it, but this time around found the writing cheesy and found my perspective changed such that the ideas seemed more idealistic than realistic.
Dean
Mar 28, 2010 Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb!!! I just love ALL his books! Highly recommend!
Jeri
Jan 24, 2009 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mandino's books are always inspiring
Renata
Jun 05, 2014 Renata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this. Good Christian message, but not too preachy with interesting story line.
Abby Morales
Feb 25, 2017 Abby Morales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing. reviving.
Génesis AR
Mar 10, 2017 Génesis AR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como todos los libros de Og Mandino, "La Elección" te proporciona herramientas que te ayudarán a mejorar tu vida diaria. A principio se me hizo demasiado utópico pero su idea no es tan descabellada pues su propuesta de elegir seguir un sueño de vida a pesar de todo, no es imposible, un poco difícil pero no imposible. Sin embargo, el final si bien me agrada, se me hizo un poco apresurado.
Kg
Feb 24, 2017 Kg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Og Mandino is a very skilful writer. He weaves an invaluable message in an interesting story. The story has its own twists and turns which makes the reading quite fun.

However, I liked some of the others books (Greatest Salesman, Miracle) much more than this one hence the three stars.
Scott Harrell
Feb 13, 2017 Scott Harrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life-affirming and inspirational, as always.
Daniela
Mar 22, 2015 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que les puedo decir de este libro... me encanto. Creo que es de esos libros que llegan en el momento indicado ya que cuando lo leí estaba en un momento de mi vida en el cual tenia que hacer una gran elección para mi futuro y me sentía muy confundida pero este libro me ayudo bastante.

Creo que como dice el libro siempre estamos haciendo elecciones, por más mínimas que sean como decidir que comeremos y cosas así, unas que son ya como por instinto, pero llegan momentos en los cuales tenemos que tom
Mich Morales
Feb 16, 2016 Mich Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un excelente libro que ejemplifica, a través de una historia, muchas de las decisiones que a veces tomamos en la vida, las prioridades que decidimos dar a cada cosa y las oportunidades que dejamos ir o las que llegamos a tomar y el costo que estas pueden llegar a tener. Og Mandino con su relato nos hace comprender la dimensión que puede llegar a tener una elección, nos hace reflexionar sobre la importancia de encontrar un equilibrio y de entender que gran parte del éxito es posible gracias al ap ...more
Rgrega72
Excellent book told in a story about a man, his family and the decisions he makes in his life. IT is about giving back and helping others making choices that are pleasing to God and following the ways of Jesus Christ by being a servant to the fellow man by using the gifts God has given you. The path may not be smooth, in most cases life is not and if it is you are not accepting the challenges set before you and willing to be stretched and formed into the vessel God can use and wants you to be.
Ged Cusack
Jul 14, 2016 Ged Cusack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like most of the of Mandingo short stories we are presented with a parable that is designed to motivate us to succeed.
Here we encounter a tale of a successful insurance agent who makes the choice to leave the corporate world and become a writer.
The premise of the change is that the success in business was at the cost of time with his family.
A simple pleasant story that leaves you with a feel good effect at the end.
Clayton Tune
Dec 30, 2009 Clayton Tune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is without a doubt his best work. A little dated, but if you've ever dreamed of just walking away from your job to pursue something you've always wanted to do... this is for you. Light, funny, touching, mysterious, romantic... all things that make a good story. If you have a free Saturday evening, pick it up and settle in for a couple of hours. You won't want to put it down! And unlike a Stephen King book, you'll feel wonderful at the end.
Just don't go an quit your job.
Alan McBee
Dec 10, 2016 Alan McBee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great success comes with the willingness to pay a great price

Every moment towards the life that we all want contains within it the possibility for a choice--a choice to do the right thing which gives us power and peace.

Time is shorter than you think; take action now.

Like many self-improvement books, this one is more about catalyzing the motivation to do something great, more than a magic pill for making life better. Well done, and worth re-reading.
Jason Stadtlander
Jun 24, 2013 Jason Stadtlander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was recommended by my father. I really enjoyed it and it hit me on several different levels. Although the book is a bit dated (30+ years old), it still has the same morals and values that I think are important in any motivational book.

There are some deeply spiritual messages in this book, so if that's not something your comfortable with, you probably won't want to read it. If you're okay with that, then it's a must read!
Ernest Jan
Jan 26, 2013 Ernest Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is truly an uplifting book. Og Mandino made me realize how powerful our choices are. Indeed, there is a key to a better life - better than fame, wealth and security in life. And that key is CHOICE! Needless to say, the choice is up to us. Remember that what we are now is a result of the choices we made yesterday. So, choose to use the key, carefully. If you want to know how, try to read this amazing book. :)
Andy
Dec 01, 2013 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
As always, a great message from Og Mandino on how to live a richer life. I read this story years ago and decided to reread it again. While I enjoyed the story I did not find it compelling. Thinking back to Mandino's other books I preferred The Greatest Salesman Ever or the Ragpicker stories to this one and thus only gave this a 3/5.
Michael Brodie
It was a good story, a little to religious at times for me, however the meaning behind the message resonated with me.

Read this after being impressed with reading the greatest salesman in the world by the same author. While I'd give the greatest salesman in the world a 5 star rating, I'll give this one a 3 because it's poor in comparison.
Cherice
Nov 27, 2009 Cherice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cherice by: Shauna Kieffer
I didn't know what to expect at all from this book. A book that I sailed through until the last few chapters. i wanted to read and reread the words of wisdom hoping to let it all sink in. An excellent book on life, choices, and believing that there is a better way to live! Thanks Shauna K for the recommendation.
Douglas Cavanaugh
Jul 04, 2014 Douglas Cavanaugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, like all the other reviewers, I'm going to say this book is very inspirational. It is the kind of book that everyone would benefit from and enjoy reading. I will likely reread it at some point and will actively search out other books written by this author. It is a well-written book and worth the time spent reading it. Enjoy life, people!
Lela
Apr 27, 2013 Lela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I try to read this book once a year to remind myself that I have a choice in how I interact in the world. I have a choice, no matter what is happening in my life or around me, in how I behave and what my attitude is.
Rudy Waldner
Jun 09, 2014 Rudy Waldner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how he (Og) does it, or how I've randomly picked three of Og's books prior to completing "The Choice", all in a sequence that was exactly what was needed to propel me forward. Spooky, in a good way. Thank you.
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The Dream Giver
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • I Dare You!
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • Enthusiasm Makes the Difference
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • The Tongue - A Creative Force
  • Household Gold (How to Convert Household Expenses into Household Income)
  • Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise
19753
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more
More about Og Mandino...

“So long as I have something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for, I shall be happy.” 4 likes
“So many of us think ourselves into smallness, into inferiority, by thinking downward. We are held back by too much caution. We are timid about venturing. We are not bold enough.... Struck down by our own caution, our own lack of faith in ourselves and our abilities. Opportunities? There were many. But always there was risk. Do we dare? We vacillate. Time hurries by. Opportunity gone. We anguish. The years roll on. Finally, we convince ourselves that it's too late and settle for cheap imitations of life.” 3 likes