Start by marking “Mexico City Blues (242 Choruses)” as Want to Read:
Mexico City Blues (242 Choruses)

Mexico City Blues (242 Choruses)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,286 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Jack Kerouac, who died in 1969 at the age of forty-seven, is renowned as the father of the "beat generation." His eighteen internationally acclaimed books -- including On the Road, Doctor Sax, The Subterraneans, and Lonesome Traveler -- were important signpost in a new American literature. Here, in Mexico City Blues, his only collection of poetry, his voice is as distincti ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Grove/Atlantic, Inc. (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Mexico City Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mexico City Blues

Rodney
It took me years to get beyond the Beat myth and see these poems for what they are; some of the most joyful, goofy and affecting writings of the last century. Kerouac wrote all 242 choruses--one per notebook page--over six weeks in 1955. His improvised word-jazz was at its peak; the poems are fresh and spontaneous but rarely sloppy (try it yourself if you don't believe me). The Buddhist leanings are a little simple-minded, but simplicity is part of the point. Kerouac combines a love for made-up ...more
Brad
At moments brilliant but mostly drug addled crap, Mexico City Blues is Jack Kerouac's career in microcosm. There are times when his poetry and prose are truly great, when he can incite or captivate or evoke a sensation like a master, but most of the time he is a hack.

I know, I know, y'all love him and think he is a literary god, but he really isn't. He and his friends (he is no Ginsberg or Ferlengetti, after all) came at a moment when they could do anything they wanted with no worries about edi
Luke Redfield
Aug 28, 2008 Luke Redfield rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of stream-of-conciousness
one of kerouac's finest moments for it's differency. open to any page and engage.

om. hare rama. hallelujah.
mexico. new orleans. sweet denver.

jack will always be cliche to one demographic and a god to another. an innovator too plagiarized today, in the same vein that bob dylan stole from woody g before the trend had been set.
be ahead of your time, but not too ahead of it.

fame always leads to critics. kerouac was probably an asshole, but i have a special place in my heart for anyone who lived ou
Tara
So, I had to read this book for a class on Beat writers and writing. Not sure I would have read it otherwise. That being said, I didn't hate this - but honestly, I think Kerouac is better at writing prose than poetry.

Mexico City Blues is, to put it simply, Kerouac's ruminations on a variety of subjects while he was hiding in Mexico City in 1955. Lots of reflections on religion (Buddhism in particular), existentialist sorts of questions, jazz, and personal, autobiographical events. If these subje
Odeen Rocha
Prefiero ser delgado
que famoso
pero
soy gordo
Tiah Keever
I think i was reading this at a bar in Belfast as I sipped my first Guinness on (Northern)Irish land(not my first Gunness by any means, just the first one in the Irelands). It was either this or Dr.Sax, and if it was Dr.Sax then i must've read this in Switzerland. Either way, if you like Kerouac you will probably find something you like here.
Johnny
The poetry was... difficult to say the least. It often seemed to be just words for words sake. Having said that there were many moments of lyrical genius and some beautiful images evoked in an interesting way. i think that it will benefit from repeated readings.
Lucas Theron Lammott
I think the thing with JK is finding the diamond in the "rough" between the free flow. Try not to think to hard about what your reading but let it speak to you in your own way... does that make any sense?
Shane
This is the greatest work of poetry I've ever read. It's pure freedom of form, hypnotic meters, and chasmic depth inspired me to be a writer for the rest of my life.
Heather Marie
do you like poetry? dreams? me too. so does Jack. let's go sit on the roof now.
Michael Vagnetti
Urging toward what the author calls "saylessness," this is writing that swings and blows with the improvisational style of the jazz chorus. There's dope, spittle, adrenaline, joint pain, hot sweet moonlight, and someone who's read Sanskrit and is trying to sing it like it's sticking, and maybe get you to at the same time. He draws circles around nothing. See? Sure, you could read Suzuki on Zen in the fifties, but what the hell was America going to understand, share, or give you back? For me, the ...more
Sofja
Quel drogato e cazzone dello zio Jack quando scriveva le sue poesie usava una metrica cromata-abbronzata più che perfetta. Miei cari ragazzotti barzotti che fingete di essere poeti, nella vita bisogna averci stile e la metrica.
Alexander Scott
Interesting, at times some of the poems seemed awful, but then I started reading them whilst listening to Coltrane, monk, Davis, then found them more interesting and made more sense in the style and framing ect.
Brian Durance
Kerouac was certainly an artist of his time but I don't feel this particular collection translates into our current sensibilities. It reads more like uneasy dropout student work. It's disappointing, though, because I have enjoyed his other work.
Craig Werner
"There is no Way to lose."
Kerouac's poetry is a predictably strange combination of spiritual wisdom, meandering white negro jazz-like improvisation, slightly domesticated Finnegans Wake punning, autobiographical meditation, and the proverbial kitchen sink. 20 per cent or so of the 244 poems--Kerouac conceived of them as choruses of a really long jazz performance--are high end keepers (the closing sequence on Charlie Parker among them); a quarter are random muddling; the rest somewhere in between
Brett
By turns annoying and profound, Mexico City Blues is like a lot of Kerouac--you have to put up with a fair share of nonsense but in return for your patience you will sometimes get very lively and energetic imagery and wordplay.

Mexico City Blues is a book of 250-some poems that all pretty much run into each other as if it were one long poem. They are heavy on the Buddhism and designed to sound sort of like a jazz jam session on a page. I'd say this is really only for true Beat enthusiasts.
David A Johnson
I like Kerouac's prose poetry, but his verse poetry is really, really spotty to me. Much more miss than hit, altho the hits are characteristically very, very good.

I'm not any sort of scholar, but Kerouac can describe amazingly well anything in the world he sees, and he seems to do that best with lots and lots of words that stretch on and on and on. Imagination and poems about things, rather than just experiences, aren't especially effective for me.
Moni
Kerouac is not one of my favourite authors, that must be said from the outset! I found his poetry as empty as his prose, filled only by pretension and a highly inflated sense of purpose. The reader is baffled, unless foolish enough to find meaning in his ramble or some kind of knowing irony in its meaningless. Either response is as shallow as the text itself. I will never understand why this guy is still being published, I am sorry but it's beyond me!
Jerry Oliver
Beautiful stuff. These 242 blues choruses mean different things to me at different times in life, but it's more about the feeling. You either get it or you don't. It's like jazz. It is jazz. For some it's an acquired taste. Others are born with bop in the blood. You need to step into the jam and find the rhythm in the words and enjoy the way they roll and play. Jack is a buzzed Buddha in sunglasses busy at prayer and play in this classic collection.
Alexander R.
Sometimes-sensical diddies and scribbled out scenes from a drug fueled/addled Kerouac. If I could do half stars, Id give this two and a half. Its not a terrible collection of poems. Whether or not Ill return to it, Im not sure. May not be often. Then again, it might have grow potential. Some of the choruses really did get my attention. Some really left me sighing and shaking my head with bewilderment.
Rob
This is perhaps the single worst book of poetry I've encountered. Will I bother to review this? Why bother; I'd need to start munching on mushrooms just to maybe take a stab at this incoherent mess where even any form of rubber-neck syndrome towards the awful gives way to anger.

I'm giving Kerouac one more chance w/ "On the Road", though that's it.
Josie
Sep 01, 2007 Josie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of beat poetry
A poem that functions more like a 242 verse jazz rhapsody, this book tackles everything from childhood to religion to nonsense. Each poem builds upon or contradicts the one before, and each toys with language and meaning. Though I admit I didn't understand all of it, I feel its one of those poems one can read into or see more in each time one reads it.
Todd
To make any sense of Mexico City Blues by Kerouac, you've got to read it out loud, and read it quickly.

Love his novels, and I'm starting to fall in love with his poetry.

... Also, if anyone is planning on getting into Kerouac's Buddhist texts, then, in the words of Jack: "To understand what I'm sayin, You gotta read the Sutras."

Jessica
All I can say is...wow. Never has a book of poetry affected me as deeply as Whitman's 1865 edition of Leaves of Grass. Each poem spoke to me in unique and different ways. Kerouac truly was the king of stream of consciousness prose. His sense of sound and the way words flow together is showcases beautifully here. I'm really at a loss for words...
Ants
This book was received as part of the Bob Oertel memorial collection. Bob died unexpectedly and at much too young of an age. His wife, Kate, offered his books to his friends as a way to remember Bob.

It was a nice way to remember Bob and I enjoy the books that I received.
ronny
the obsession with Buddhism does kind of get annoying, but good poetry overall.

favorites: 6, 16, 17, 24, 25, 33, 34, 49, 64, 66, 67, 69, 70, 72, 80, 110, 111, 113, 123, 131, 143, 168, 176, 184, 187, 190, 192, 198, 202, 204, 206, 209, 211, 212, 226, 227, 228, 242
Matthew Metzdorf
Has its moments. A lot of buddhist messages mixed in with a jazz-like mishmash of words that is more often a little annoying than beautiful, but gorgeous when it hits the right note, which it doesn't do enough of if you ask me
John
I don't care for the Buddhist saints that Kerouac is always dragging in to prove some hazy point. The poems romp when Kerouac lets go. The final quarter of this book is a bop word-jam--the language dances & throbs.
Chris
While not my favorite work by Kerouac, Mexico City Blues is overall a great piece of literature. While at times difficult to follow, there are many outstanding choruses that I keep going back to re-read.
  • Reality Sandwiches
  • Pictures of the Gone World
  • Ring of Bone: Collected Poems, 1950-1971
  • Kerouac: A Biography
  • Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Born on March 12, 1922, in Lowell, Massachusetts, Jack Kerouac's writing career began in the 1940s, but didn't meet with commercial success until 1957, when On the Road was published. The book became an American classic that defined the Beat Generation. Kerouac died on October 21, 1969, from an abdominal hemorrhage, at age 47.
Early Life

Famed writer Jack Kerouac was born Jean-Louis Lebris de Keroua
More about Jack Kerouac...
On the Road The Dharma Bums Big Sur The Subterraneans Desolation Angels

“I'd rather be thin than famous
but I'm fat
paste that in your broadway show”
32 likes
“I'd rather die than be famous,
I want to go live in the desert
With long wild hair, eating
At my campfire, full of sand”
1 likes