Start by marking “Cu Dumnezeu in subterana” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cu Dumnezeu in subterana

Richard Wurmbrand

Cu Dumnezeu in subterana

Imprisoned by the Romanian Communists for his work in the Christian Underground, and subjected to medieval torture, Wurmbrand kept his faith—and strengthened it. For fourteen years, he shared that faith with suffering cellmates and gave them solace. In solitary confinement, he tapped out his message of hope and Christian love. In Room Four, the “death room”, he helped dyin ...more
A5
Published 2007 by www.stephanus.ro (first published 19)

JoséMaría BlancoWhite
Being a Christian under Romanias Communist regime

This man is one of the most intelligent men I have read about. An intellectual and a hero of the Christian faith. A man of integrity. Blessed with a long and beautiful life as a reward for all his pains while spreading the Good News in Romania during the long Communist dictatorship years in prisons, being tortured physically and mentally. And never giving up his faith, which was the prize the communists were hunting. It was amazing to see how many
Lize
This book is realy challenging all you think of what it means to be a christian. As Christ promised persucution and trials, Richard Wurmbrand faced a lot of it. Also the way the Communist worked to undermine religion in Romenia, makes you realise that the enemy won't rest at attacking the church of Christ and its members. God uses simple people, and great ones like Richard, to expand His kingdom. I also can't help to draw simmilarities between communistic practises and thoughts and the political ...more
Josh Taylor
Mar 11, 2014 Josh Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most challenging read of the horrors of prison under dictatorship. Wurmbrand's faith is most clearly shown; from his rejoicing and delight in God even in prison, and showing His freedom gained in Christ which is far superior to freedom from prison. The heart of a pastor and a man who deeply loved people is exampled greatly by Mr Wurmbrand.
The tough and unbelievable physical torture he undertook, is more than matched with the emotional, psychological, and also spiritual despair which Wurmbrand
Isaac
Oct 27, 2014 Isaac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more popularly advertised of Wurmbrand's books is 'Tortured For Christ,' both of these books are encouraging, powerful, and somewhat difficult to read. This one is a narration of Wurmbrand's personal experiences in the communist prisons of Romania, where he was confined for his faith.

The book is very telling, sad, frightening, uplifting in all manner of diverse ways at different times. It is an excellent book about martyrdom and perspective from some of the most difficult and trying situatio
Juliana Lyon
Aug 23, 2013 Juliana Lyon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so moving. Wurmbrand was a prisoner in communist Romania. His faith and trust in God are incredible.
Natalie Wickham
It’s amazing how your perspective on daily life can change when you read a book like this. Richard Wurmbrand and the others imprisoned with him by the Romanian Communists suffered in ways more horrific than I can bring myself to repeat. And yet he viewed his time in prison as a calling from God, embracing it, and looking for every opportunity to share Christ with others. The book is a collection of experiences, interlaced with rich spiritual insights and analogies that Reverend Wurmbrand used wh ...more
Zachariah
Jul 18, 2009 Zachariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I haven't read Wurmbrand's Tortured For Christ, so I'm not sure the difference.

This book is an autobiographical account of Wurmbrand's life from just before he was arrested for his faith to after he got released fourteen years later. The book is basically a chronological account of anecdotes filled in between with descriptions of the political an prison climates.

Wurmbrand was courageous, strengthened by Christ, and very smart. He stood up for his faith over and over again against heinous tortu

Colette
Jun 20, 2012 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A challenging look at faith in challenging circumstances. Richard's faith, ideas about faith, and the practice of his faith were tested over and over again during 14 years in prisons in Romania under the beginning throes of communism.

We did this as a read aloud with our family--with some censoring. We skipped some of Richard's second round of jail time (the "for this I was given 25 lashes" (ad infinitum) did get a little old) and a couple of sections that were about sex.

Richard rounded out his
Crina cordea
Mar 01, 2013 Crina cordea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wurmbrand an exemple of atheist who start to become christian and he has all the answer for those who don't believe

when i think of it i want too remeber this:

In prison, the political officer asked me harshly, “How long will you continue to keep your stupid religion?” I said to him, “I have seen innumerable atheists regretting on their deathbeds that they have been godless; they called on Christ. Can you imagine that a Christian could regret, when death is near, that he has been a Christian and
Sue
Jun 19, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful autobiographical account of the fourteen years which Pastor Richard Wurmbrand spent in prison. He was sent there in 1948 because he was a Christian who refused to renounce his faith and embrace Communism.

The book describes in detail much of his experience, including attempts at brainwashing and some appalling torture. Somehow it manages to be vivid without being graphic. It brought alive the horrors of this kind of imprisonment, yet didn't give me nightmares.

I found it gripp
Tim
Jan 11, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-study
A remarkable book. Moving. Unnerving. Humbling. Inspiring.
Just been reading Psalm 88 and 89 and it seems strange that in these Psalms high delight in God and his faithful love & power can sit beside such despair and sense of hopeless abandonment - even to the point where 'darkness is my closest friend'.
Richard Wurmbrand's 14 years in prison exude both through tuberculosis, torture and terrible separation from his wife and son.
And he is right that the story from beginning to end speaks of t
Thomas Johnston
Dec 07, 2015 Thomas Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply impactful....Suffering for Christ in real terms....

Deeply impactful....Suffering for Christ in real terms....A must read for all pastors and I meters of the gospel...A sobering but soul stirring account.....
Irina T
Feb 17, 2016 Irina T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most moving, inspiring and humbling testimony I've read so far! It's as captivating as a novel which makes the events and the people described in it all the more extraordinary. I highly recommend it!
Christy Luis
Oct 22, 2013 Christy Luis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir…blew me away. It tells of Richard Wurmbrand's several experiences in Communist Romanian prisons of the early-mid 20th century. He was tortured brutally for his faith and for preaching inside the prisons during his stays there.
But he doesn't beg pity because of these events. He tells his story as a life sustained by Christ. It’s very much like the Bible verse, “To live is Christ and to die is gain.” He brought the love of Christ into those prisons in the form of sharing food, practic
David Mudge
Jan 25, 2014 David Mudge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so blessed reading this book. I read it at I time when I was particularly discouraged. His love for others and his hope in the gospel amidst his suffering is very powerfully encouraging.
Bradley Eylander
Nov 23, 2009 Bradley Eylander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. He really stood strong in his faith even under circumstances I think were worse than Jesus' crucifixion.
He was also a very smart man who was well read in the historical figures of his time. Learned a lot about Stalin's/the communism regime and the disaster that followed. It wasn't against communism, just against the people behind it.
After reading this book I heard a quote from a movie saying, "It was the lack of God that destroyed communism." After reading this book I can see some t
Anita Schweppe
May 10, 2014 Anita Schweppe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extreemely inspiring.
Rob Robideau
Amazing Motivation for Any Serious Christian

This book is full of stories that will truly thrill your soul and motivate you to do more for Christ!

There are no sensationalistic, inflated tales of torture, but rather the Christ-honoring portrayal of Wurmbrand's testimony and the work of the underground church in Romania.

Unfortunately, the chapter markers are not set up right and I could not flip from chapter to chapter in my kindle. :-(

This book is highly recommended!
Emi Ciupe
Apr 04, 2016 Emi Ciupe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impresionant!
John
Apr 26, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extraordinary book of one man's experience in communist prisons in Romania--imprisoned because he was a faithful Christian pastor. The pastor, Richard Wurmbrand, is famous for starting "Voice of the Martyrs."

The story follows Wurmbrand for many years as he witnesses to fellow prisoners, interrogators, torturers, soldiers, and practically everyone he meets.

I highly recommend his book. It is simply fantastic.
Arielle
Feb 18, 2013 Arielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Richard Wurmbrand, a Jewish Christian man who lived in Romania during communism. This book is full of history and raw facts that you probably won't read about many other places. Not for young readers, but this is a book I think all Christians should read. It will humble you and make you thankful for our freedom we have today.
Analise
Feb 09, 2007 Analise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a very long time ago but I remember that I loved it because it presents a vivid picture of communism and life in a communist prison. It's not a book for the faint-hearted and some images of the tortures that the author underwent stay with you orever. I'd like to read it again though!
Cynthia Anderson
Jul 29, 2012 Cynthia Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cur
Pastor Wurmbrand was so inspiring in this very honest account of the persecution of Christians. Pastor Wurmbrand endured physicial, emotional, psychological torture but remained firm in his belief, and relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

A must read for all Christians.
Liz
Dec 07, 2012 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough and lengthy descriptions of Wurmbrand's years in jail. Having lived as a missionary in Romania for 2.5 years, it was incredibly sobering to read of how he suffered for the sake of the Gospel. It was a little bit too much and too long for my liking, but overall a good read.
Jobe
Apr 22, 2013 Jobe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most intense, eye-opening books I've read about wartime imprisonment. Wurmbrand was in the belly of the beast for 14 YEARS. Crazy. The Lord sustained him throughout and this book is a testament to His enduring faithfulness to us. I encourage you to read it.
Ryan
May 13, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: god
I don't know what's more amazing about this book: all the things the author went through, or that he remembered enough to piece together so many conversations from his time in prison. Very thoughtful, inspirational book.
Melanie B
I gave this 3 stars because I found it a bit of a cumbersome read. I could not keep the politians names straight. I love Richard Wurmbrand and his faith in God. He was truly amazing. I wanted to love this book but couldn't.
Ralu
Jun 16, 2016 Ralu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2014
It a life changing book.it's hard to believe that all those things really happened,and I try to re-read it every now and then because it keeps me grounded,and I believe Richard Wurmbrand was a great man of God.
Vaughn
Oct 27, 2011 Vaughn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best autobiographies I've read. This account of perseverance, faith, love, and suffering is a must read. It sharpened my understand the term 'martyr'. Highly recommended (maybe not for the faint of heart).
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • George Muller of Bristol
  • Against The Tide: The Story of Watchman Nee
  • Idols for Destruction: The Conflict of Christian Faith and American Culture
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • The Apostle : A Life of Paul
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
  • Life Sentence
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • Persuasions: A Dream of Reason Meeting Unbelief.
Early life

Richard Wurmbrand, the youngest of four boys, was born in 1909 in Bucharest in a Jewish family. He lived with his family in Istanbul for a short while; his father died when he was 9, and the Wurmbrands returned to Romania when he was 15.

As an adolescent, he became attracted to communism, and, after attending a series of illegal meetings of the Communist Party of Romania (PCdR), he was se
More about Richard Wurmbrand...

“Martin Luther, when he walked in the woods, used to raise his hat to the birds and say, ‘Good morning, theologians—you wake and sing, but I, old fool, know less than you and worry over everything, instead of simply trusting in the heavenly Father’s care.” 4 likes
“He said there were two kinds of Christians: those who sincerely believe in God and those who, just as sincerely, believe that they believe. You can tell them apart by their actions in decisive moments.” 2 likes