Start by marking “The Professor's Assistant” as Want to Read:
The Professor's Assistant

Read Excerpt

The Professor's Assistant

This edition is no longer available for purchase.

Lured by rumors of a momentous invention, Agent Julian Blake steps into the New York Gate and emerges outside London.
It is the same year, 1885, but an earth parallel to his own. The two timelines are almost identical, but the slight variation is enough to threaten his mission as it includes an attitude toward same-sex attr
ebook, 1st Edition
Published February 14th 2011 by Liquid Silver Books

To ask other readers questions about The Professor's Assistant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Professor's Assistant

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A great premise suffocated with rushed actions, one too stupid to live decision and incompetence. Everything at first sight didn't help either. The romance is pretty ridiculous. Still, the premise itself deserves a star of its own.

I loved the idea of parallel worlds and agents protecting every time-line that might be in danger. I loved the decision not to destroy something that is already invented, because when something already exists in one world, it could be made in another even if it is dest
Jerry
I've not read much steampunk, so it's hard to comment on that aspect, but I wasn't that impressed with this book. The romance is insta love. In my opinion, the writing seems simplistic while the idea of the "parallel travel" is very creative. The romantic couple act individually stupid and in opposition to what I would think if I were in their romance.
There were some entertaining moments and ones of incredulity. It felt short which it is.
Giulio
Nice and solid steampunk setting with a pretty lame MM romance
Lisa
Historical, time travel and steampunk, oh dear!
My bingo category was 1800-1899, so I admit not being a fan of reading about that time period, I picked the book closest to 100 pages I could find.
I like a story where I connect with the MCs, maybe even read and find myself not having to think about it. However, I don't understand alternate universes and the principals of time travel.
They never really explained the other world and why they wanted yo have the machine.
DL
Nov 15, 2015 DL rated it it was ok
The blurb was better than the book and had almost as much information. The premise promised a fun romp through time with some bad guys thrown in for tension. What was delivered was a rough sketch of a story, insta-love and heroes too stupid to live.
Feliz
Jun 04, 2011 Feliz rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
There’s a great many things going on in the not so many pages of this story. The worldbuilding took much room, and I found it successfully done both regarding the parallel — timelines concept and the steampunk setting. Many details were lovingly drawn out, for example the steam cycles, and the airships. Another big portion of this book was dedicated to the erotic scenes between Julian and Daniel, which were detailed and fraught with emotion.

Due to the shortness of the format, something had to gi
Tonileg
Apr 22, 2014 Tonileg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy, m-m, kindle
Steampunk M/M romance with parallel worlds much like that found in 'Fringe' the TV show.
I kept placing our characters in a 19th century version of the Fringe world so it made it a bit more believable.
Agent Julian Blake is sent to the parallel London world to check up on some rumors about a time travel invention which would be very dangerous in the wrong hands. So Julian meets the Professor's assistant, Daniel and there is more then a little bit of chemistry between Julian which is makes for som
Bookbee
Started with great potential but didn't quite live up to it. The ending was rather abrupt. Writing was a bit choppy at times.
Nov 26, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A lot happens in not all that many pages in The Professor's Assistant. I really enjoyed the time travel/parallel universe plot as well as the relationship between the main protagonists. 4.5 out of 5.
Book Utopia
Jan 30, 2012 Book Utopia rated it did not like it
The author's voice was too simplistic to overcome my squick reaction to Daniel being so young. Too many references to his youth at the top of the story set me on an edge that never went away.
Belindaj
Oct 13, 2011 Belindaj rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I wish it had been a little longer, so this is more of a 4.5, rounded up.
Jason Vargo
Nov 05, 2015 Jason Vargo rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay
A romance which doesn't have the guts to do what it really wants to do, poorly drawn characters, a fairly boring time travel story and not a single compelling piece in the narrative.
Kiki
Kiki rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
Evamaria
Evamaria rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2015
Remus Grrrl
Remus Grrrl rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
A.L.
A.L. rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Susan Reaves
Susan Reaves rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Katy Beth Mckee
Katy Beth Mckee rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Kelleyann
Kelleyann rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Lada
Lada rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Mandapanda
Sonja
Sonja rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2013
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
DeWanda
DeWanda rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2011
Kestrel
Kestrel rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Noble Metals (Metals, #1)
  • Earth and Sun, Cedar and Sage (Gideon and Jedediah, #2)
  • Lords of Aether Volume One
  • The King's Tale
  • Clockwork Tangerine
  • The Only Gold
  • Hanging Loose
  • Pain (Darwin's Theory, #1)
  • Kid Gloves
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Bren Christopher has been an avid reader since she was a kid, but it wasn’t until she discovered erotic romance that the characters who had been content to reside in her imagination started insisting they needed a wider audience. Matt and Jamie of Friday Night Jamie were the first, but others followed in rapid succession. She’s had a lot of fun helping her folks come to life, and hopes you have j ...more
More about Bren Christopher...