Start by marking “The Paid Companion” as Want to Read:
The Paid Companion

The Paid Companion

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  6,176 ratings  ·  289 reviews
A New York Times BestsellerThe Earl of St. Merryn needs a woman. His intentions are purely practical - he simply wants someone sensible and suitably lovely to pose as his betrothed for a few weeks among polite society. He has his own agenda to pursue, and a false fiancee will keep the husband-hunters at bay while he goes about his business. The simplest solution is to hire ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Jove (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Paid Companion, please sign up.

Jason Roop
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Robin (Bridge Four)
Finally a historical romance where I enjoyed both the romance and the actual plot! They tied in well together and I wasn’t disappointed when moving between the two.

Elenora has been left with practically nothing after the death of her stepfather. She has run her family’s estate in the country for years but after being kicked out with nothing except her clothing she is determined to land and her feet and has a plan to do just that.

Arthur, Earl of St. Merryn has recently been through a scandal wher
May 31, 2009 becky rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Of the few Amanda Quick books I've read in the last month I liked this one more than the others (but that's not a great measurement since many of the others I decided to stop reading midway through). I'd say, overall, I actually did like this book - until the end. It goes a little something like this:

Her: Uh oh, love him.

Him: I want to have sex with her.

Her: I can never be with him, but I'll have sex with him.

Him: Damn, I really like having sex with her. I might even like her.

Her: Oh god, I love
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I listened to this on audiobook while I made my Christmas cards, and it was an enjoyable read and kept me entertained while I attended to my crafting. The narrator used a voice for Arthur that was a bit stuffy, and not at all brooding and sexy, but otherwise, I can't complain. There was a good balance between mystery and romance in this book. The mystery was quite authentic, and the villain was a fiend. The reveal was suspenseful, and I hadn't figured out who the villain was until the correct ti ...more
Jun 29, 2013 Caz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes light-hearted romance with a bit of mystery thrown in.
This was a lot of fun to listen to although I suspect I might not have enjoyed it as much had I read the book. Michael Page is one of those narrators whose name on an audiobook is guaranteed to make me take a second or third look, and even though he’s not narrated a huge number of romance novels, I’ve enjoyed those I’ve heard. (Most recently, I liked his reading of Victoria Alexander’s The Importance of Being Wicked.)

The plot in this story centres around Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn and
Oh my God I would give this 10 stars if I could. The characters were lovable, the mystery well planned, the love scenes blush-worthy, and the writing compelling and flawless.

This is absolutely perfect. Perfect, damn it.

Basically a summary of my feelings about the book (because I'm too giddy to write a more detailed review):
3.85 stars. Read the book when it first came out some years ago and listened to audio version recently, narrated by Michael Page. A good performance! Loved his British accent.

Decent story, too, despite the info-dump and predictability. This is one of Quick's stand-alone historical romances. I prefer them to her series installments, which are even more formulaic and predictable.

Quite a fun and smexy read. The Earl of St. Merryn is a wealthy and fairly eccentric nobleman. He hires a paid compani
Oh this audiobook! How could I ever forget listening to you!

Personal Backstory:
I was driving alone on a car trip 5 hours to see one of my good friends. Seeing as Ohio is mostly corn and worried about falling asleep, I went to the library to scope out what I could find. This is how I found The Paid Companion.

Now as I sit here and try to find another book like enraptured me so, I am thinking of this book.

Oh man. It say a lot that after at least 3 years I still remember this book. It was ab
Another great Amanda Quick historical romance - the premise of how the main characters meet and initiate their relationship (hero hires the heroine to pretend to be his fiancee) is interesting and pretty unusual, though why he supposedly needs a pretend-fiancee is not very compelling - the whole thing is done more for plot effect and to make the story and relationship more interesting (which it admittedly does) than out of any real plot-driven reason.

This is one of her more recent ones (2004) an
Ludicrous setup, so-so romance, ridiculous "suspense." The only things that saved this book were a good narrator and the storyline of a Regency woman taking control of her destiny despite society's conventions of how a woman should behave.
Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle --- three wonderful series and styles from one single author. I particularly loved this book and have read it many times since it first came out. Now I have it for my Kindle and re-read it last night. It still makes me smile, squirm with the steamy scenes and ponder how Ms Quick makes a woman from that place and time period so clever, yet affable and likable to the reader.

Elenora Lodge has just lost everything she owns to her step-fathers creditors. But
Well since I listened to the audiobook I'll split my review into two parts.

The Story

Twenty something Elanora Lodge is smart, feisty heroine who due to her stepfathers gambling and untimely death has lost her home and inheritance. She plans to own her own bookstore one day but in order to finance this dream and support herself in the meantime, she has taken up work as a paid companion.

Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn is considered as coldly logical and a little eccentric by most. He needs
Utterly Unsatisfying and Awkward.

It is the case with most historical romances that the plot and/or suspense is hackneyed and stale, but the romance is intense and worthwhile. In this case, you still get the hackneyed setup and subplot, but the romance is utterly unsatisfying!

Firstly, the moment when the hero and heroine are finally intimate with each other is just awkward and one of the worst love scenes I have ever read, especially in a historical romance. The hero is ...ahem...
Another book from Ms. Krentz with great characters, plot, and dialogue. Arthur Lancaster needs a fiancee to keep the marriage-minded away while he seeks his uncle's murderer. Being the sensible sort, he decides to interview young women of good reputation and poor finances who must work as paid companions to survive. Once he meets no-nonsense, capable Elenora Lodge, the fun begins. On my fourth reading, the story still holds up well, except perhaps for Jove's Thunderbolt, which I ignore in order ...more
Billie Jo
Audiobook Narrated by: Michael Page (For some unknown reason it's not currently available on Audible.) It's a really great story but I will defer the reviews for the plot to the other reviewers.

I've read a few of Amanda Quick's books but never really connected with this author. Audible had a special so I gave her a try. WOW! Michael Page is an amazing narrator and really brought this story to life. To be honest, Michael Page may not be for everyone but I find him absolutely amazing. If you are

This was a cute regency romance with a great "fake fiancee plotline" but also with a mystery that took over about 70% of the book. This would have been ok had the mystery not been a little "blaah"... I was disappointed about who the killer was - (view spoiler) Otherwise, the chemistry was a little weak between the hero/heroine and i wish they had more love scenes between them (not
Carol Waters
OK, so I am attempting to pare down my book collection by reading and discarding the stash of books cluttering my abode. This one is from upstairs in the media room bookcases. I have no idea where it came from. It is a hardcover, new, pretty cover.

The premise is dumber than dirt. A wealthy woman of 26 gets swindled out of her inheritance, gets a job as a paid companion to a woman who dresses only in purple who unfortunately no longer needs her help, and then storms into her employer's office to
2.5 stars. The premise of this novel was unique--an earl hires a paid companion to pose as his fiancée while he investigates a murder. Okay, I'm now not sure why he needed the fake fiancée. Supposedly, it's to keep the matchmaking mamas out of his way, but that seems a flimsy reason. I think it was because he realized he was the hero of a romance novel, and it seemed a handy excuse. I found the heroine likable at the beginning, and her storyline of how she came to be a paid companion was engagin ...more
This books qualifies as a Quick Read, and a pleasant one.

True to past form of the author, the heroine is a) a virgin; b) parapsychological; c) a "lady" in some distress; d) very strong and extremely independent and uncaring about public opinion, espe. for the time period; e) dying to find out what sex is all about at least once in her life.

The hero, true to form, is a) parapsychological; b) troubled; c) VERY sexy in a somewhat unconventional way; d) an great lover; e) a man of unexpectedly high
Mrs Giggles
Arthur Lancaster, the Earl of St Meryn, is another fellow thought by his peers as cold, emotionless, the usual. The fellow played cards and showed little concern when his fiancée eloped with another bloke, gosh! It does seem like there's one of those dark-haired guys with powerful thigh muscles and misunderstood personality hanging around every street corner in this author's London, doesn't it? Oh, and there's also a murder. He wants to investigate the whole thing, but he needs a way to distract ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is a very intriguing story of Arthur, Earl of St. Merryn and Elenora Lodge. As this book opens, Elenora finds herself being thrown out of her house. The Earl finds that his fiancée has eloped with another man. Elenora has plans for herself, but she doesn’t have the funds. Arthur is searching for a companion to aid in his investigation. They end up together and the sparks start to fly. Elenora is a planner and organizer and starts soon after staying in his house setting it to rights. She dis ...more
I was kept surprisingly engaged by this book. I thought it might be a bit sappy, but it turned out to be quite snappy. I think it's a Regency romance book, but the time period isn't exactly specified.

Elenora help the Earl of St Merryn find a mad killer that is loose in London. She is hired by him to pose as his fiancee so that he may roam about London without being plagued by fotune hunting mothers trying to foist their young daughters on him as potential brides.

In the process the no-nonsense
most romance novels rely on utterly absurd contrivances and miscommunication to create a plot. Quick has come up with a way to make the contrivance actually BE the plot, and that bit of built-in sensibility works beautifully.

Elenora is a young woman of decent family (because, hell yes regency romance where things like "the ton" are important and all) that's gotten the short end of the stick after her parents die. Arthur is an overly responsible (and, of course, overly rich and overly handsome) g
Heidi Rice
I adore Jayne Anne Krentz's historical novels. Because they not only have all the lush, high stakes drama of regency romances but are also peopled with those fabulously offbeat, quirky characters that are uniquely hers.

This tale of the methodical and deeply pragmatic Earl of St Merryn and his decision to hire a paid companion to pose as his fiancee so he can go about the important business of investigating the murder of his beloved uncle is as usual a great mix of weird science, engaging charact
I normally like Amanda Quick and have enjoyed several of her other books for their winks towards genre and general entertainment. I have to admit this one was a major disappointment for me.

I was expecting fake!fiance hijinks and lots of delightful banter and got instead a blackmail plot and a weird murder mystery that you figured out if you were paying attention at all. I can't emphasize enough how disappointing it was that I was promised fake!fiance hijinks and we missed out on ALL OF THE HIJIN
I am on a kick for audiobooks because they really lend themselves to running here and there , cleaning the house, and downtime at work (and still looking busy ;-)!)This was my most recent download and I cannot believe it, but I have never read this Amanda Quick book, so that was a pleasant surprise! This book had a male narrator and he did a decent job, but Simon Prebble is my favorite male narrator.

Anyway, this is classic Amanda Quick; the quirky, titled hero,the polished, but down on her luc
Karen Darling
I enjoyed reading this book, it was funny and I liked both the hero and heroine. The heroine was intelligent, compassionate, funny, and I loved the way she composed herself in all situations. The hero was wealthy, intelligent, composed, respected, and beat of all was never a libertine or rogue. My hat is off to Amanda Quick, I have enjoyed a few of her books, thank you for giving me my money's worth.
This is another novel I would say deserves more of a 3.5 star rating. It was nice and I almost read it in one sitting. The characters are interesting and some of the plot devices were too, but to me it felt a little like the end was a little too quick and the romance at times felt a little forced. But as a whole I liked it and want to read more by the author.
The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick

Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn and a wealthy bachelor is looking for a wife. However he really wants a paid companion who will look after his household and not bother him as he goes about his life separately.
Arthur consults an agency for paid companions. None of the ladies proposed seem to fit his requirements. Then Miss Elenora Lodge bursts into the meeting and proceeds to tell her employers that she has had it with the people she has been sent to for int
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Amanda Quick
First published: 2004
Length: 5346 kindle locations, 410 pages
Setting: London. Regency-ish,
Sex: Reasonably explicit but infrequent.
Hero: Recently jilted, searching for his uncle's murderer.
Heroine: Forced by circumstance to work as a paid companion.

A surprising story, not what I expected.

What I expected was an historical with an experienced companion to a little old lady who at least pretends to demure. She meets the staid rogue grandson who sweeps
This was a passable read I guess. It wasn't so much a romance novel as much as a mystery. It's one of those books that keep you thinking when why and how the h and h fell in love! Especially when you spend most of the book following the plot to figure out the mystery of the killer...romantic bits were thrown here and there...
I read the book from the same author few years ago and I felt exactly the same way about it... A whole lot about mystery artifact history killers villains and a little bit a
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The Paid Companion (2004) 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 12:22PM
  • Falling Awake
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...