Start by marking “Thief of Hearts” as Want to Read:
Thief of Hearts

Thief of Hearts

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,817 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From the storm-lashed decks of a pirate schooner to the elegant grounds of an English estate comes a spellbinding tale of love and deception...as only the remarkable bestselling author, Teresa Medeiros can tell it.

An Innocent Beauty
Prim and pampered, Lucina Snow knew little of men and nothing of danger, until the fog-shrouded night she found herself abducted—and at the mer
Published September 1st 1994 by Bantam

Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanCaptive of My Desires by Johanna LindseyBound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Gift by Julie Garwood
Historical Pirate Romance Books
23rd out of 167 books — 365 voters
An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia QuinnUntil You by Judith McNaughtA Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. WoodiwissThe Raider by Jude DeverauxDragon Actually by G.A. Aiken
Mistaken/Hidden Identity Romance !
13th out of 132 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Crista
So this might be the most difficult review that I've ever written. I want to say so much, but to avoid any spoilers, I'll have to say very little.

I found it a bit difficult to originally get in to this book because Lucy's love interest changes from her pirate abductor to her bodyguard within the first four chapters. I found it difficult to change gears.

This book is laced with action and mystery. I never knew exactly what was going on, who was good, and who was evil. Lucy was a spirited heroine
Kyraryker
This book had me at hello, great beginning. When Captain Doom says with a hand flat over his chest. "Your mistake, man," he said softly. "The little wench damn near got my heart." I do believe folks this is called foreshadowing.
I delight in stories where the characters conflict with each other and you can literately see as you read the characters change, grow, and come together. I can already sense Lucy is going to have a lot of growing up to do and I can't wait to see how Gerard pushes her into
Amanda Ryan
Lucina Snow has her world turned upside down when her voyage, of which she went in place of her father, is interrupted by the notorious Captain Doom. When she's kidnapped she fears the worst. But when Doom, a young and bearded man, shows restraint and, gasp!, even gentlemanly treatment, she's intrigued. When she stabs him in the shoulder she leaves a lasting impression. He forces her overboard to be rescued by the navy with the point of taking a message to her father: Captain Doom is coming to c ...more
Christy Stewart
Not a bad book, the twists were predictable but interesting none the less. The problem I have with it is, now that the book is over I have a feeling that within a boring week with each other the couple would become bored and restless and split up.

Good thing the book ended when it did.
Shelly
Zoe
Mar 12, 2015 Zoe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: keepers
I have read quite a few books from Teresa Medeiros and liked most of them. So to begin the review I have to say she is my kind of writer. While most of her books do appeal to my liking, this book is OVER THE TOP enjoyable. I don't add a lot of books to my "keepers" shelf. When I do, it usually means the book has somehow managed to tug my heart with its ups and downs. I feel drawn to the the lead characters and I am happy when they are happy and I am sad when they are ad odds with each other. Thi ...more
RaiRaiKen
I read this around 2008 (a junior in high school (or 3rd year in high school), 15 years old, and just newly introduced to the world of historical romance novels thanks to Johanna Lindsey's A Loving Scoundrel (Malory-Anderson Family, #7) by Johanna Lindsey'A Loving Scoundrel' (but half of the book I couldn't understand because this adult book is very different from the usual children's/middle grader's books I often read)). I remembered loving the premise, the intrigue on the first half of the book. By the second half I grew tired and skimmed the rest (and skip ...more
Angel
Jul 12, 2014 Angel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: hr
I did give it an overall rating of 4.5 but the book was a solid 5/5. The only reason I didn't give it the 5/5 it deserved was because I felt the ending was a bit too abrupt. I would've liked a bit more about their HEA or a epilogue but apart from that it was simply wonderful!
Teresa Medeiros is an amazing author and there isn't a single book of hers that I've read which I haven't enjoyed immensely. She is definitely on my auto-buy list :)
crashqueen73
I would say this was a 3.5 more than a four, I really liked it stars for me. The main reason being that I found some parts of this one really s l o w. I was able to put it down and leave it (or fall asleep while reading it) and then come back to it.

I liked the heroine, Lucy a lot. While she was demure and obedient to a fault with her "father" deep down she had a lot of spunk and wit that the hero, Gerard brought out in her.

I also liked Gerard and figured out who he was right at the start having
Kathie (katmom)
I LOVED it!!!

Yes, once again our girl finds HERSELF...I do love that in a story.

Gerard is wonderful, well, except for when he's NOT...

Captain Doom...a heart? None? I enjoyed finding out.

A secondary character that I loved: SMYTHE...

Yes, I'd read it again.
Robin
When notorious pirate Captain Doom tries to capture his enemy Admiral Snow, he winds up with Snow's daughter, Lucy. Lucy is kept blindfolded throughout her ordeal and eventually returned to safety. On her arrival home, her father hires Gerard Claremont to act as her bodyguard. Everything about him sparks her defiance. Lucy just wants him out of her life so she can gain some independence. Gerard just wants to find proof that Admiral Snow tricked him into a life or piracy and killed his crew.

I usu
Colourful Turtle
Written with such an exquisite use of the English language, I can give it nothing less than a four. It would've been given a five had it not been for the slight tedium in the story during the middle section of the book. The story caught my initial interest, but about halfway I grew rather bored of Lucy's depressing life. Later it became more exciting, and I actually took a liking to the characters. The ending was, in my opinion, one of the best endings I've ever read. Very satisfactory. A bit li ...more
Noura Ariz
Love the piratey love story.

Good points:

1) Hero plays a double role. Totally opposite but so noble. Love his wit and charm. Love the fact he wears glasses at times (my weakness).

2) Heroine is quirky. A bit of a spoilt princess but she's able to fend for herself quite well.

3) Endearing pirate shipmates. Love the characters. Very colourful. Not slimy and dangerous at all but more like sentimental misfits.

4) Surprise character: hero's younger brother. I love him. Comes across as a fluff, all lad
Danae
Lucy Snow is a woman who hides her passions below an icy exterior in order to win her Admiral father's love. The more she tries the less she succeeds as the Admiral is on a power trip to avenge his wife's infidelity on their innocent daughter. Lucy's life is thrown into turmoil when she's abducted by the infamous pirate Captain Doom; thoroughly kissed and then let go in order to send a message to the Admiral. Secretly romantically infatuated with Captain Doom, Lucy finds that her father has hire ...more
Amelia Fransiska
baca ini novel ky nnton pirates of caribbean tanpa captain jack sparrow -gak seruuu- XD
ada legenda captain doom yg mirip ama davy jones, dia versi ganteng n muda davy jones keknya...

Pas baca karakter Gerard Claremont aka Doom yg jadi korban khayalan gw so pasti Gaspard ulliel

Photobucket

rambut item, cakep, suka ngomong french, apalagi y? Pake kacamata > my kind of man, hehehe...

Jadi si doom ini perompak trkenal yg di cari2 navy nya UK.
Katanya dia suka pake kalung telinga2 org2 yg dia bunuh, trus dia jg
Megan
penelopewanders
Read this ages ago (pre-goodreads involvement) so here's what I wrote on bookcrossing at the time.

I greatly enjoyed this story of the daughter of a strict, unloving admiral who falls into the hands (and arms) of the admiral's arch-nemesis, the notorious pirate, Captain Doom. The intrigue is not entirely predictable, and Medeiros writes well. Her characters are believable and endearing. A very good read. Thanks so much for the trade!
reserved for bookobsessed VBB
LJ
THIEF OF HEARTS - VG
Medeiros, Teresa - Standalone

Prim and pampered, Lucinda Snow knew little of men and nothing of danger, until the fog-shrouded night she found herself abducted - and at the mercy of the legendary Captain Doom. Ruthless and mocking, tender and virile, the notorious pirate awakened all Lucy's passionate longings, then abandoned her with nothing but a kiss...

Now, safely at home, the alluring waif is tormented by treacherous memories - and by the presence of Gerard Claremont, her
Aimee
This is a solid 3 of a book for me. I love how the author writes in some of her other books, but I struggled with this work for several reasons. One: the overuse of certain words, especially in the early chapters. Two: the misuse of certain words, like "irrelevant" instead of "irreverent", and the continuity errors. And Three: the fact that neither one or two was solved by an editor. I know it's a romance novel, but come on, people.

I was looking forward to a pirate adventure but there wasn't eno
Ashley
I have read quite a few Medeiros books.......lol
i absolutely love her writing style. shes an author that when you see her name on a book you automaticly pick it up because you know that its going to be a great read ! so here we have the story of the imfamous Captain Doom and prim and proper Lucinda Snow. Lucy is kidnaped by our daring and ruthless Captain Doom which after days of unsuccessful excape attempts she is then somehow found her spirit and decides to fight back instead of being docile ,
Artemissia
Je l'avais lu il y a longtemps et je n'en avais pas gardé un souvenir impérissable. Eh bien, je dois dire que je l'ai bien plus apprécié à ma seconde lecture. Une histoire somme toute sympathique avec des héros intéressants.
Carol Storm
I wouldn't put this book up with the very greatest of Teresa Medeiros' books -- it's not as innovative and entertaining as BREATH OF MAGIC or TOUCH OF ENCHANTMENT, and it's not as intense as SHADOWS AND LACE. But it's still one of her best early novels. The prologue, where the girl sees a phantom pirate ship bearing down on her with tyrannical intent, is some of the best writing I've ever seen in a romance novel -- incredibly seductive and yet very subtle.

Once the main plot starts, things get r
Cait
1.5

Especially egregious on the rape-and-assault-passed-off-as-romance front. Did not live up to the delightful ridiculousness of the front and back covers.
Ebony
This is my favorite by this author. All the cliched moments turn out completely fine. The misunderstandings and family drama all blended well. No ridiculous or frustrating hidden motives. The cool prim beauty and the humourous sardonic hero are not one dimensional types. They grow and change and react in engaging ways. I lost this book before I finished reading it. When I found it and reread the rest of the story it was a pleasant change from the same old misunderstandings and plotlines in most ...more
Pauline
J'ai passé un bon moment avec ce livre bien que je trouve la traduction française un peu confuse. Je ne sais pas si cela vient du style de l'auteur ou du traducteur mais je trouve que l'histoire s'embrouille par moment et nous fait perdre le fil.
C'est dommage car sinon les personnages et l'histoire sont très intéressant, et le roman aurait pu être réellement captivant.
Au final le mot qui me vient après cette lecture est "frustrée". Encore une fois dommage, j'essayerai sans doute de lire la VO.
Hadir Ibrahim
the surprise in this book was off the charts !! loved it and the characters
Mari
I like it but I feel the ending lacks closure... Many questions unanswered...
Luvmyfamily
It was rather predictable wasn't it? Except for the climax of the book I was a little bored.
Ria
Despite presenting familiar and comfortable plots and characters, there's always something that surprises me in a Teresa Medeiros novel. Someone will say or do something unexpected or an arc will be lined up to head in a familiar direction only for something surprising to happen instead. Thief of Hearts is a delightfully fun Georgian pirate novel in which both the hero and heroine kept surprising me - the book outlined in the blurb and the one found between the covers are pretty different and I ...more
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Surrender A Dream
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • The Seduction Of An Unknown Lady (McBride Family #2)
  • Bride for a Night
  • The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #1)
  • Lord of Danger
  • Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only, #6)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • A Heart So Wild (Straton Family, #1)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1)
  • Only With Your Love (Vallerands, #2)
19971
New York Times bestseller Teresa Medeiros wrote her first novel at the age of twenty-one and has since gone on to win the hearts of both readers and critics. All of her books have been national bestsellers, featured on the New York Times, USA Today and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists. She currently has over 10 million books in print.

She is a seven-time Rita finalist, two-time PRISM winner, and
More about Teresa Medeiros...
Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3) Charming the Prince (Fairy Tales, #1) The Bride and the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) After Midnight (Cabot, #1) A Kiss to Remember (Fairleigh Sisters, #1)

“Night, G'rard."