Start by marking “Palestinian Women: Narrative Histories and Gendered Memory” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Palestinian Women is the first book to examine and document the experiences and the historical narrative of ordinary Palestinian women who witnessed the events of 1948 and became involuntary citizens of the State of Israel. Told in their own words, the women's experiences serve as a window for examining the complex intersections of gender, nationalism and citizenship in a ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Zed Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Palestinian Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palestinian Women

Andrew
This book is a series of accounts by Palestinian women who lived through the ‘Nakba’ of 1948, in which they lost their homes and were either forced to leave the newly-formed state of Israel or were internally displaced within it.

Except that it’s not. Not really. We don’t really hear much from the women themselves – only short quotes in certain places, to illustrate a particular point. We don’t get to know each woman clearly enough to feel the full power of her story from start to finish.

For a lo
Emma Thompson
I'm sorry to say this book was a great disapointment to me. When it arrived I was excited about it, I expected real world naratives of Palestinian women and when it arrived my mother said it sounded interesting and asked if she could borrow it when I was done. A week into reading it I warned her she woldn't want to bother.

It is, in essence, an accadmic work that someone has seen fit to publish. The entire thing is written in the extremely exclusionary terms of accademia, I had trouble with some
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
M. L.
M. L. marked it as to-read
Sofia
Sofia is currently reading it
Christine Olivia
Christine Olivia is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
Alex Biggers
Alex Biggers marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Salya Shaban
Salya Shaban marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
Tatyana Kagamas
Tatyana Kagamas marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2012
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2012
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 12, 2012