Start by marking “Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo” as Want to Read:
Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo

Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo

There is nothing quite like hitting the road by yourself to awaken your senses, sharpen your mind, and build your confidence. In twenty-three beautifully crafted essays, women recount the thrills of traveling solo.
Despite threat-assessment levels and airport-security hassles, women of all generations are traveling more freely and independently than ever before. In that go
Published May 14th 2014 by Seal Press (CA) (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Go Your Own Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Your Own Way

Jun 27, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book!! Some better than others, sure but they were all very interesting peeks into solo travel experiences from women. I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would be so disappointed as to say how bad this was- these are people sharing personal experiences!! Though, I'm not a huge lover of short stories in general, it was still incredibly interesting, start to finish.
I haven't read the first book and now I can't wait to get my hands on it. Hopefully, there are more of
Megan Stolz
I was lent this book by one of my grad school professors, who has an essay included in the collection, during a summer writing project when I was focusing on Americans traveling overseas. I gave the collection an average score because many of the essays tend to fall into a bit of a pattern and they often end with a sentence or paragraph which tries to summarize the trip in some grand lesson (granted, endings are hard and I think the authors were trying to find some universality in their personal ...more
Beth Peninger
This book caught my eye in a local used bookstore as I browsed. It caught my eye for a couple of different reasons. One, the cover picture. After having traveled to Italy and Greece last year the cover picture is a familiar and pleasing one for me. Two, I am a horrible traveler and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Why that would prompt me to read a book about travelers I will leave up to you to analyze, I'm not entirely sure myself. :)
This is a real-life travel guide to locations around
Apr 15, 2011 Josephine rated it it was ok
The title sounded interesting.

That’s the main reason I picked this book up.

But…I’m not a big fan of anthologies like this.

Because these blurry snapshots of the lives of 23 different writers — some better writers than others — give no real taste of the places they’ve visited and seen or any real impression of who these women are.

That’s not to say it wasn’t interesting or that it wasn’t insightful; it was.

In Julianne Balmain’s “Wolf Pleasures” she talks about her delight in stumbling across th
Jan 14, 2010 Mia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I had my first child, I've been too scared to fly or to travel anywhere by myself, because I'm afraid I'll die en route and my husband will be the one to pick out the children's clothes, which will lead to them being ridiculed mercilessly by their peers. Also, he'll only feed them fake meat cooked on the backyard grill and cheese-flavored snacks, which will lead to them being very unhappy and overly salt-infused. So... the women writing the stories in this book are living a dream that I am ...more
Carolyne Mistake
Oct 30, 2008 Carolyne Mistake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: female travelers, women (people in general) with a curiosity about the world
This is a book about women travelers, who are traveling solo. It is inspirational at times, motivational at others, particularly as a female traveler who occationally worries about the dangers of traveling solo through certain areas of the world. However, it's also misleading because some of these stories are not by a woman traveling solo, they are by a woman alone for a moment on a trip with others, and often with a male romantic partner or figure. A few good stories, such as "Armed and Dangero ...more
May 28, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply wonderful collection of essays about traveling as a solo woman. Tore through most of it at the beach. Rarely does a book capture my attention so much to steer it away from the sun, sand, and waves. My copy will be read again and again and is dogeared already.
What a great collection of stories, written in the first person by women travelers. Maybe not every one is really "Solo" and maybe the grand majority are a little too happy-happy but I still really enjoyed every story.
Jul 03, 2007 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have to admit I have been unable to actually read this book cover to cover. A significant number of the stories are weak and poorly written. I wll take another run at it and edit this as things change (if they do). Stand-outs include Snake Eyes of Borneo, and most notably Three Minutes of Freedom, by Lara Triback who, for any of you out Oregon ways, will be reading at Powell's bookstore on July 12. In the spirit of full disclosure the author is a good friend of mine, but regardless of th ...more
Oct 22, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This anthology includes a handful of excellent anecdotes, but most of them are unriveting. The few stories that stand out as gems were truly lovely and relatable, excellently written and leaving the reader craving more. Most of the chapters, however, felt like insular personal memories best shared as reverie among friends and lacking universal appeal or depth of imagery and presence. Okay overall, but I would have quit this book if I had any habit of book-quitting. Very few travel books have tak ...more
Dec 03, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so inspired reading the stories of women traveling the world in this book. It made me want to pick a place on the map and go! There are also lots of helpful tips about traveling alone, and being safe while you do it!
Aug 30, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few gems in here that were so lovely and inspirational is the reason I'm giving it five stars. Makes me even more excited about my first trip solo soon.
Nov 11, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigh.... made me want to hit the road NOW but at least I will be in Mexico tomorrow! I am so glad I traveled in Europe by myself.
Feb 12, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book of short stories. I've had many of the experiences that they have described, but am still not a huge fan of solo travel!
Oct 03, 2013 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy it as much as their first effort (A Woman Alone), but still a good collection of enjoyable short travel narratives.
Good mix of women's stories of traveling the world solo, yet not alone. Why they do it and what they learn.
Jul 31, 2009 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and interesting but not the best collection of travel stories I've read.
Jul 02, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great beach read filled with short stories of women traveling the world!
Mar 25, 2015 Upnorth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great descriptions of solo adventures by women
Sep 08, 2014 Kerri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love travel writing, but this took me ages to get through. Some stories were totally captivating, while others left me bored. Nonetheless, I love the concept- women traveling the globe.
Jennifer Bradshaw
Jennifer Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Meggie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Sierra Hinrichsen
Sierra Hinrichsen is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2016
Katie Davies-gregory
Katie Davies-gregory marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Donna Michelle
Donna Michelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Ellie marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Dana Keith
Dana Keith rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo
  • Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who Are Changing the World
  • A Woman's Passion for Travel: True Stories of World Wanderlust
  • Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone
  • Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
  • 100 Places Every Woman Should Go
  • Feet on the Street: Rambles Around New Orleans
  • Wild Writing Women: Stories of World Travel
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • The Melting Season