Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy

Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Medical Basis for the Healing Power of IntimacyWe all know that intimacy improves the quality of our lives. Yet most people don't realize how much it can increase the quality of our lives -- our survival.

In this New York Timesworld-renowned physician Dean Ornish, M.D., writes, "I am not aware of any other factor in medicine that has a greater impact on our survival tha...more
Published February 17th 1999 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Survival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Survival

Licia
I am reading the 1998 version of this now. After studying the latest in interpersonal neurobiology this comes as no surprise. But I think it is a great beginner book to affect a paradigm shift with valid points on how our medical system operates and I mean operates. The system works to allow complicated surgeries and mecdications with devestating side-effects as remedy to pain and suffering when it is proven that relationships,love and caring improve our hearts and our lives. Give me a hug, anyd...more
Amiel Loiseau
Jan 03, 2009 Amiel Loiseau added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amiel by: no one, just found it.
I loved this book. The intimacy between two human beings has the power to heal. By the same token, if a person has no real connection to another caring person, sickness and death are much closer. Trying to quantify the health benefit of having close, loving relationships is a tough task. This book did it. This book shows to me, without a doubt, that having a person who really loves you, and who shows it, is the best medicine, and laughter is a distant second.
Kathleen
This book has sadly sat on my shelf for over 15 years. I finally picked it up and boy am I ever glad I did. The author provides an easy to read book about the importance of love and especially intimacy on the power of healing. It is more than just feeling loved that contributes to healing, it is about having intimate connections that allow you to be your true self. He touches on many different connections - marriage, religion, counseling, and self. Great read!
Susan Basanjav
Jan 15, 2011 Susan Basanjav is currently reading it
interesting topic..i love Dr. Ornish work so i think it will definitely beneficial.
Teri Temme
People need people.
I'm giving this book five stars because of how important I think the message is. Devaluing love and relationships within a culture has disastrous consequences for both our emotional and physical health.
Brenda

This book helped me to understand my relationship with myself and with God.

I think if more for understanding all kinds of relationship that we have.
Christine Baese
Enjoyed the emphasis on research in the second section, but it the style didn't work for me.
Carolyn
Feels outdated.
Cydnee
Cydnee marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Manika
Manika marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Brian Cleveland
Brian Cleveland marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Anne Tropeano
Anne Tropeano marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Theresa Graff
Theresa Graff marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Z
Z marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lars
Lars marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Louise Pronovost
Louise Pronovost marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 04, 2014
Angelina
Angelina marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish Stress, Diet and Your Heart: A Lifetime Program for Healing Your Heart Without Drugs or Surgery