Start by marking “A Time to Kill” as Want to Read:
A Time to Kill

A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  528,107 ratings  ·  3,531 reviews
When a black man, Carl Lee Hailey, kills the two white men who raped his daughter, the town of Clanton, Mississippi is filled with anger and violence on all sides. This makes for a dangerous case for young lawyer Jack Brigance, but he'll do anything to defend his client and his own life.
Published March 1st 2000 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Kill, please sign up.

Juan Ponce In fact, it was written back in 1989. This was John Grishams first novel! No one ever believed this was going to become such a great and successful…moreIn fact, it was written back in 1989. This was John Grisham´s first novel! No one ever believed this was going to become such a great and successful novel. It was rejected by a lot of publishers, until Grisham got one opportunity and he blasted, with this jewel! It captivated me, and now I am excited to be able to read it again! Great impact, great story, incomparable book! (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Juan Ponce I have read it once already. Some time later, I borrowed it o a friend who unfortunately left it in the public bus and my book got lost. Now, last…moreI have read it once already. Some time later, I borrowed it o a friend who unfortunately left it in the public bus and my book got lost. Now, last weekend I found and purchased a used version for only $3.00, therefore, I am happy to be able to read this incredible novel again! You won´t regret it, this is a 10-star book! This a must-read novel! (Thumbs down to spoilers! Buuuuuu!)(less)

Considered Grisham's best novel by many readers far more perspicacious than moi, this well-written, emotionally-charged thriller certainly delivers. While it doesn't rank as my eye's own personal apple, I can certainly see why it is esteemed by fans of both the legal-thriller and Grisham.

Despite being fast-paced and a true page-turner (what I would call a popcorn-read), there's a gravity and social conscience that pervades the story and adds a weight to the narrative. There is depth here, more
Continuing with my reading of all Grisham titles. This is the first I've read of the southern trial novels. Extensive use of the N word was disturbing but it's used for an accurate portrayal of the voice of white southerners of the period, not gratuitously. Much more disturbing was the scene of the violent attack on a little girl that's the basis of the story. Again, not gratuitous. This novel was based on a true story. A thoughtful and thought provoking reminder of the cruelty and racial prejud ...more
James Thane
I confess that when one of my book clubs made this our monthly selection, I approached it with more than a little trepidation. I knew that this was Grisham's first book and that when it was first published as a hardcover, he could hardly give it away. Sales were so poor that there was initially no paperback release. Only after the success of The Firm and other of Grisham's books was this one finally resurrected and released in paperback.

Like most of Grisham's other readers, I jumped aboard the t
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
One of my least favorite Grisham's books, and that's saying something. Actually I kind of liked The Pelican Brief and one or two of his others, but mostly they strike me as mediocre writing combined, more often than not, with pulpit-pounding and breast-beating about some legal issue.

In this case the setting is a murder trial for a African-American man who gunned down his 10 year old daughter's rapists, who are stereotypical Southern white trash racists who tried to murder this little girl and l
Aug 30, 2007 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J. Grisham fans
There are 104 pages of review on this book, and I read two pages worth and agreed with a dozen or so. I always wondered why cheap thrillers like this book never get discussed in great literature classes and I think I can answer that question. 1. Because there is no interpretation. Books like this are no brainers. Little thinking is required.
That's really it.
Now for the book review. First of all, Grisham needed like 1 or 2 more pages to close out. He rushed the ending.
Sure it was a great thrill
Paul Eckert
My favorite Grisham, and I've read almost all of them. He states in his own words that sometimes he gets "a bit verbose" - but I really liked it because of the depth that he goes into on the characters, which is mostly absent from his other stories.
I HATED this book - why I finished all 500+ pages I will never know. I picked it up at the library just browsing for something light - I liked Pelican Brief and thought I would read another John Grisham. I think Mr. Grisham is trying to protray Clanton, Mississippi as the main character and to do this employs a lot of stereotypes about the deep south, including extensive use of the "n" word, as well as describing others in the town as "the whites" "the rednecks" etc. The main character, Jack Bri ...more
John Grisham is always a favorite go-to for fast-paced, engaging storytelling that pulls you through, chapter by chapter, page by page, clear up until you reach the end. This was a great depiction of race tensions, and the good, bad and ugly of 1980s Southern life. The author is well suited to portray the South both sympathetically while at the same time never shying away from its more shameful aspects.

Carl Lee Hailey's young daughter, who happens to be black, is brutally raped and left for dead
Jason P

Two nights ago I finished listening to this great piece of art. The last Grisham novel I read/listened to, The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small town was fantastic in ways that can only be described as an excellent documentary that was thought provoking and influential. That book was one of Grisham's non-fictions that he tackled later on in his career, where he tracked down a fantastic story of a man who was tried and convicted of a murder he did not do. By the time I was done with i
I've actually never read a Grisham book before. Don't everyone throw tomatoes at me at one. Maybe the reason I haven't read one before was 'cause I was afraid I would be compelled to buy the rest of his books and I'd rather save the money for purchasing my very own movie studio.
A Time To Kill by John Grisham was an enthralling tale, it appealed to me because although the book as a whole, was written to sound very serious the way the humour was mixed into the story was perfect. The triumphs and defeats all the way through Jakes court case were explained very clearly, so much so that I felt as though I was Jake, sitting stiff in front of the judge testing my witnesses and building my case. The way the drama is presented is thrilling and at many points throughout my exper ...more
Corey Tardif
Wow! What a powerful book, I can't believe I hadn't read it sooner. I've seen the movie a numerous amount of times because I'm a big fan of both Matthew McConaughey and Samuel L Jackson. My eyes were glued right to the pages from beginning to end, I just couldn't put it down.

I remember watching the movie for the first time when I was in my mid-teens and I remember not liking it at that time because it was hard for me to understand the court and legal system, but as I got older I watched it agai
“With murder, the victim is gone, and not forced to deal with what happened to her. The family must deal with it, but not the victim. But rape is much worse. The victim has a lifetime of coping, trying to understand, of asking questions, and the worst part, of knowing the rapist is still alive and may someday escape or be released. Every hour of every day, the victim thinks of the rape and asks herself a thousand questions. She relives it, step by step, minute by minute, and it hurts just as bad ...more
O tema que tem por base este livro é muito forte.
A única coisa que me fez continuar a ler foi querer saber se o pai da menina seria considerado culpado ou não. De resto achei o livro um pouco parado, à exceção de algumas partes em que havia uma certa violência.
I have always had mixed feelings about Grisham, but this is one of his best. The inherent drama of a death penalty story, with a background in the crime of rape, makes this a natural for an audiobook, where the high drama can really be brought out.
Before returning to Clanton Mississippi and Ford County, I took some time to refresh myself of my first journey here, to see where the Grisham journey had its humble roots. While it is likely this novel is not the traditional 'must-read' before diving into SYCAMORE ROW, I chose to remember the powerful novel that Grisham admits barely made a blip on the radar until after THE FIRM pushed him to the top of all the reading lists. This is a wonderful book that introduces readers to a Mississippi whe ...more
Kevin Walther
A Time to Kill
By: John Grisham
Review by: Kevin Walther

A Time to Kill is written by John Grisham. It takes place in Clanton, Alabama in the spring and summer of one year in the 1970’s. This is a time where racism is still very evident in southern states, and is a major issue in the book. The story revolves around a trial in which a black man has killed the two white men who brutally raped his eleven year old daughter.
The man who kills the two men who rapped his daughter is Carl Lee Hailey; he i
A Book not worthy of a reread, and most certainly did not belong on my Contemporary Literature reading list. Unfortunately, it was assigned, and I found myself tortured to have to pick it up again and again.
Our main protagonist is Jake Brigance, a puke-bucket of a character who I found hating and hating the more I read the book. He acts out at everyone, is often rude, and is an over all narcissist - And this is supposed to be our "Hero".
John Grisham is very transparent with his characters, makin
Todd Russell
After finishing The King of Torts and on the heels of the sequel to A Time To Kill coming out this fall 2013, I wanted to go back and start reading through the John Grisham books in publication order. As a longtime reader, I actively seek out stories that fully immerse me. It takes a gifted storyteller to keep me riveted and fully immersed for 9,000 Kindle locations, but Grisham had me in his clutches with this story. Legal thrillers are tailor-made for fiction: you have a crime, the victims, th ...more
Ah boo - how disappointing. I've not read a Grisham before and his back-catalogue really impressed with some book-to-film adaptations I've really enjoyed. This book was a real something-or-nothing though - I couldn't really like any of the characters, some being dropped by the wayside and others not explored in anywhere near the necessary depth to invoke any emotion.
The story itself was a compelling one, a 10y.o. black girl is raped by two rednecks and the father takes revenge by murdering them
Adorei os três livros deste autor "O sócio", "O testamento" e "A confissão", e este deixou-me realmente desapontado. É mais parado, repetitivo e descritivo que gira em torno do tribunal, como a escolha da localidade, a constituição do júri, a rivalidade entre advogados, arranjar testemunhas, mas que não deixa de ser interessante, assustador e chocante. O melhor foi o julgamento que infelizmente só começara ao fim de 400 páginas e terminou depressa.
Bridgit Barger
*4.5 out of 5 stars*

I am so glad I finally picked this novel up. "A Time to Kill" really delves into the racism that's immersed into Southern culture and shows how disgusting and heartbreaking it is.

Growing up in the South myself, I have noticed that things like racism, homophobia, and misogyny are deeply embedded into our culture. People use their religious beliefs to justify being absolutely disgusting to others (i.e. using gay slurs simply because your religion states that homosexuality is a
Benjamin Thomas
This is the 11th Grisham novel I’ve read but somehow this early one has escaped me up until now. But I will say after reading a substantial number of his books, early Grisham is the best Grisham. That’s not universally true but seems to hold thus far in my experience. I’m interested to see how his latest novel, (the sequel to this one) holds up to that axiom.

This, in fact, was John Grisham's first novel, and despite several rookie mistakes, it definitely kept me turning the pages. A white lawyer
Racism is one of the main theme is the book and it causes many problems that I feel I have a lot of outside information to know about. Tonya, a black girl was brutally murdered by a guy name Pete Willard and Billy Cobb who didn't have a legitimate reason for their actions. Carl, who is the father of Tonya remembers a case similar like this a while ago, when 4 white men raped a african american girl and got away with their crime. Carl was a man who would never let something like this go away jus ...more
Two rednecks abduct, torture and rape a ten year old black girl in a small Mississippi town. At their arraignment, the girl’s father blows them away with an M-16. He is taken into custody, and Jake Brigance, a young white solo practitioner who has some experience with defending poor blacks, comes to his defense. So begins a nightmare for Brigance and those around him, as the town is split in two, the Klan makes violent attempts on his life, the judicial system is stacked against him, and defeat ...more
T.J. Cooke
It is no coincidence that this is my first book listed on Goodreads. It wasn't the first Grisham book I read, but it is his first chronologically, and that held interest for me both as a reader and a budding author.

It's not his best work, but I still give it five stars because all the clues were there, both literally and metaphorically. You could tell that Grisham was setting about the art of crime fiction story telling and that he was prepared to do so from a standpoint, or at least an angle,
Debbie Maskus
John Grisham writes a thought provoking and interesting novel that captures the reader in the first page. Many of the events seemed a little strained, and this reader feels that the whole story has not been told. The story brings to mind To Kill a Mockingbird when Atticus defends a black man, and of course, justice runs amok. But each story contains different criminal acts and different outcomes. Grisham develops his characters extremely well, that you can picture each individual. Of course, I r ...more
Kim 'BookAddict'
This book dealt with themes that really interests me. I also enjoyed reading about the characters, even if I didn't find most of them exactly likable. Some of them I did like, though. The story was also intriguing.
2015 Reading Chal...: A Time to Kill by John Grisham 3 37 Apr 12, 2015 10:04PM
John Grisham: John Grisham Book 1: A Time To Kill 17 85 Apr 07, 2015 12:04PM
USA Geography Cha...: A Time to Kill by John Grisham 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 06:01AM
Story time 1 40 Nov 06, 2013 08:45PM
Goodreads Librari...: cover correction: A Time to Kill - change orig pub cover to correct cover 1 50 Oct 23, 2013 09:05PM
Reading Between C...: A Time to Kill - Thoughts.... 5 13 Oct 03, 2013 05:41PM
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1)
  • The General's Daughter
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Last Man Standing
  • Personal Injuries (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #5)
  • N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)
  • The Tenth Justice
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...

Jake Brigance (2 books)
  • Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance, #2)

“With murder, the victim is gone, and not forced to deal with what happened to her. The family must deal with it, but not the victim. But rape is much worse. The victim has a lifetime of coping, trying to understand, of asking questions, and the worst part, of knowing the rapist is still alive and may someday escape or be released. Every hour of every day, the victim thinks of the rape and asks herself a thousand questions. She relives it, step by step, minute by minute, and it hurts just as bad.
Perhaps the most horrible crime of all is the violent rape of a child. A woman who is raped has a pretty good idea why it happened. Some animal was filled with hatred, anger and violence. But a child? A ten-year-old child? Suppose you're a parent. Imagine yourself trying to explain to your child why she was raped. Imagine yourself trying to explain why she cannot bear children.”
“My dad's filthy rich, and even though we're Irish Catholic I'm an only child. I've got more money than you do so I'll work for free. No charge. A free law clerk for three weeks. I'll do all the research, typing, answering the phone. I'll even carry your briefcase and make the coffee.
I was afraid you'd want to be a a law partner.
No I'm a woman, and I'm in the South. I know my place.”