Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)

Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,745 ratings  ·  52 reviews
It's as big as the Empire State Building, a massive floating fortress at the throbbing heart of a U.S. Navy Carrier Battle Group.Its supersonic aircraft can level entire cities at a stroke. Its surveillance gear can trackevery target within thousands of square miles--in the air, on the surface, and under the sea. Its crew of six thousand works night and day to keep this aw...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1997)

David
Nimitz Class has a decent plot, a lot of interesting technical information about submarines, carrier fleets, and Naval operations. ON the surface this book had the potential of being a Tom Clancy class Naval thriller. However, the author dropped the ball by rushing his story telling.

One would think that a terrorist/spy/mole could be found simply by going to a naval base in Scotland and examining the records of all who had passed through their special submarine school. The author rushes the tale...more
Jerry

An interesting and technically accurate read that, while it held my attention, came across as rather flat and one-dimensional. Not the edge of my seat, nail biting, cat-mouse suspenseful Naval drama I was hoping for. This was not the US Navy in action. Instead we have a LCDR, and a couple US and British Admirals who are able to figure everything out effortlessly and come up with everything with a brief time out for the Seals to retaliate against the wrong country. Not much drama here.
Andreas
Patrick Robinson’s debut is a passable technothriller about a Nimitz class carrier getting destroyed. While it has many Clancy-like traits, it fails when it moves out of the military and into the political and administrative arenas. Cool submarine stuff though.

Anthony
If you are looking for a naval thriller in the same theme as Clancy or Larry Bond then I highly recommend this book. If you are expecting character development that is believable then look to the previous mentioned authors (in Clancy's case his earlier books). Set in current times you are given a ride on a nuclear carrier battle group operating in tenacious waters. The Thomas Jefferson is America's newest technologically advanced aircraft carrier and it's mission is to keep the Persian Gulf and...more
David Rubin
Lots of "technico" in the first book of this military thriller series. But, the book lacks character development; the good guys are all the greatest and smartest of their type and are completely flawless. With such great personalities, potentials, educations, and intellects one can only wonder why they all end up in the military and are not running some super-profitable hedge-fund.

Not every author can be a John le Carre, but a little more humanity would go a long way toward making the character...more
P
Listened to this on audio book several years ago. As a Tom Clancy fan, I thought it would be similar to his writing--nope! Starts off strong, but Robinson moves the story too quickly. Just like the movies "Independence Day," "Sum of All Fears" and others, the plot includes events with massive casualties and there is no discussion of even the public's reaction. "Well, 5000 naval personnel have just been wiped out...let's carry on with our work..." Written four years before 9/11.

Suddenly, we know...more
Kevin
The book began well, with a good mix of mystery and techno-thriller. Then, the author immediately reveals who sank the carrier, and the rest of the book becomes a poorly written chase sequence around the world. To top it all off, the identity of the culprit was just about as unrealistic as you can get. According to this book, a fifth-rate power with no submarine experience and no nuclear capability somehow managed to use both to sink a carrier.

In conclusion, read it if you are really bored or at...more
Francesco
Come thriller è davvero molto bello, solo alcune piccole sbavature in un paio di dettagli.
In particolare, come l'inizio è adrenalinico, così il finale è loffio e banale; lo stesso si può dire dell'attraversamento del Bosforo in immersione, che per quanto presenti due "pericoli" li rende troppo rapidamente e con poco coinvolgimento da parte del lettore.
Per il resto la spy-story ideata è geniale e convincente, e tiene la lettura tesa per tutta la narrazione, con pause rilassate nei punti giusti p...more
Maria
Aug 03, 2008 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone interested in military topics
Recommended to Maria by: It was on the new book shelf
Since I know very little about submarines, but have toured two in port at a Navy base, I found the book very interesting. The title implies it is about aircraft carriers, but I learned little about aircraft carriers. I learned more when I was aboard one in port. The story was exciting and made me want to learn more (nonfiction) about submarines and the kind of people who are able to work on them. I also wondered if such an event (that the book is based on) and series of events could actually hap...more
Kevin
Meh. Tom Clancy would write a better thriller, even in his current condition. Some of the characters are engaging, but some of them are hopelessly muddled. The dialogue often doesn't fit the characters. Solving the mystery relies way too much on hunches, luck and correct conclusions miraculously jumped to. All in all, just not terribly believable. The plot isn't bad. It's just poorly executed.
Nooilforpacifists
Plenty of plot--but no characters at all. Hard to care about anyone. Motives of villain slightly more understandable then hero's. At most, a novelist with potential.
Brian Croup
not much depth. sorry i started it but I'll stick with it.

Ok. Finished. And it was painful. Felt like a 1940's WWII propaganda movie. The good guys are all VERY VERY GOOD and the bad guys are all very dumb (expect for the evil ring leader who's smart but just not smart enough). If you're a 10 year old boy you may like this. Otherwise, pass.
Gerald Simpkins
I was very pleased with Nimitz Class. Other than being overly detailed at times regarding multiple mentions of various street names that wasn't necessary to move the story along, I found it engaging and my interest never faltered. I would recommend it to a broad readership, and the whole scenario was quite believable and exciting.
John
Pretty entertaining storyline. His first book. Robinson has been called the British Tom Clancy... and I enjoy him about the same as Clancy although their style is different. The only thing I find annoying is that he sure makes his American characters cuss more than seems normal or appropriate.
Dan
Good story good book glad it's done.
Tom
A good insight into aircraft carriers.

I suppose if you want to learn something about aircraft carriers and its powerful armament this would be a good book to read. As for the story I thought it was boring and a bit unrealistic.
Tom Park
Turns out I had read this previously but could not remember the details. So, I read it again. Robinson spins a good tale with intrigue and tension. Still you knew the good guys would get it done, it was just a matter of how.
Debb
cracking good re if you like books by Clancy etc
Erik Kalm
Jun 05, 2010 Erik Kalm rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Tom Clancy Fans
No, it isn't Hunt for Red October or Red Storm rising. But it was a surprisingly gripping read. A good three and a half star book, but I gave it 4 just because three seemed too low.
Recommended for Tom Clancy fans.
Navin Raj
Learnt all about the size of a CVBG and its ability to project power anywhere in the world. Massively detailed book about the most audacious attack on an aircraft carrier that is logically possible and very real.
Jim
"A detailed sub adventure story starts with a terrorist literally blowing a Nimitz class air carrier out of existence. Fun, but I think the rest of the world would not have been fooled."
Steve Markham
Quite an enjoyable book, well written and thought out. A lot of good detail and characterization too. Would recommend and read the second one in the series at some point.
Emlyn Splinter
Awesome military thriller for a non-military reader like myself. Characters and the story was woven just so I stayed right with the technical talk and didn't miss a beat.
Carol Stucki
I like all Patrick Robinson books. Military settings but good mysteries! There is even a love story in the Nimitz class that runs thru the next three in the series.
Ratforce
Much like W.E.B Griffin, Robinson writes heroic adventure stories featuring the military. While Griffin features the Army, Robinson concentrates on the Navy.
Jan
Exciting, especially since my son was stationed on her at the time I read this book. I have read all of his books of this type and they were all good reads.
Frank
Another fucking rant about non-Republican people who are destroying our right to dominate the world. The jingoism and hoo-rah'g really got old quickly.
Bill Donhiser
Excellent Naval Thriller. Like all the other Patrick Robinson books well done and enjoyable. Considering it was the first one he published very good.
Michael
This book is so boring, and so poorly written, I simply can't continue reading it. Life is too short to drink light beer or to read crappy books.
Nathan Pinno
  • Fortunes of War
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...
H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3) Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2) U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4) Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6) The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)