Start by marking “Rediscovery (Darkover, #9)” as Want to Read:
Rediscovery (Darkover, #9)

Rediscovery (Darkover - Chronological Order #11)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,845 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Leonie Hastur, headstrong and lovely daughter of the Hastur Clan, most powerful of all the telepathic families who rule Darkover, is being escorted by her twin brother Lorill to Dalreuth Tower for training in the use of her psychic powers. Although this is the event she has long dreamed of—for her laran is so strong that she has been able to use it without benefit of train ...more
Published April 1st 1993 by DAW Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Rediscovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rediscovery

Chuck
Dec 10, 2009 Chuck rated it it was ok
This is the second worst Darkover novel. It's not flat out bad the way 'Forbidden Tower' was--it's half of a good novel and half poor plotting and too many loose ends.

Worth reading because it sets the stage for the "Against the Terrans" cycle, the last three novels of Bradley's life which are including Exhile's Song, which is in my opinion, as good as any as she wrote and perhaps her best. This novel introduces us to some interesting women characters, a culture in conflict (Darkover and the Terr
Elaine Greory
Jan 07, 2014 Elaine Greory rated it it was ok
When "Rediscovery" came out, I was delighted. At last, I thought, we can see what happened when the Terrans first came to Darkover! How exciting!

Then I read the book.

This book doesn't quite contradict everything written before, but that's not for lack of trying. A few inconsistencies are the ages of the characters, the timing of events and the events themselves. For example:

* Kermiac Aldaran was described in "The Heritage of Hastur" as being in his mid-fifties. Unless he had a father or grandfat
Mari
Aug 13, 2014 Mari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Over 30 years ago, bestselling author Bradley first wrote about Darkover--a frigid world where would-be colonists crashlanded centuries ago. Now, with almost 20 Darkover novels in print, Bradley has combined forces with bestselling author Lackey to write of the rediscovery of Darkover by a ship from the mother planet, Earth. Darkover fans will be thrilled with this return to their favorite fantasy world

Bradley's Darkover is such a wonder-filled world that is so rich in culture and history. This
Lana Del Slay
Aug 04, 2015 Lana Del Slay rated it really liked it
I love my forays onto Darkover -- you know I do! -- and though I'm not much of a Mercedes Lackey person, I didn't mind having her along for the ride.

There's something about the timeline here that strikes me as, well, off. Spoilers below.

(view spoiler)
dogpossum
Mar 21, 2015 dogpossum rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girl-hero, sfant, sf
Oh dear. This was terrible. There many, many logical problems (a blind woman responds to a girl's distress because she _looks_ unhappy?), the continuity was wrongtown, and the writing was generally clunky. It's as though this book was written just to fill in some gaps in the Darkover chronology. I'd not bother with this - it's dismal.
Jack Vasen
May 10, 2016 Jack Vasen rated it did not like it
Normally I love the Darkover series. This book I hate. With the exception of one or two individuals, Terrans come off as devils, especially anyone in authority. And even the Darkovans don't shine as people. Now you don't need to read the book because that is pretty much the whole plot. Even before you reach the end, this is a pretty unpleasant story including an attempted rape which really makes no sense no matter how depraved the man who attempts it. If the Rediscovery event were not so key his ...more
Gregg Wingo
Dec 19, 2014 Gregg Wingo rated it really liked it
"Rediscovery" fills the gap of how the Terrans recontacted their long lost colony of Darkover. It also is infamous for distorting the timeline of pre-existing novels in the series. It is one of the first co-authored novels in the series and features more than Bradley outlining the story for the co-author, Mercedes Lackey.

Lackey was a protege of Bradley and began her career in fandom and was a regular contributor in Bradley's anthologies of writers utilizing her various universes. The story move
Lianne Pheno
Nov 29, 2015 Lianne Pheno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Léonie Hastur, Jumelle de l'héritier au trône a un Laran extrêmement développé. Elle commence son instruction en ayant comme but de devenir gardienne, le rang le plus élevé possible. Mais depuis quelque temps elle a une mauvaise impression ... elle sens qu'un danger énorme va arriver des lunes. Malheureusement personne ne la crois, mais ils vont vite déchanter lors qu'un vaisseau de reconnaissance de l'empire s'écrase dans les Heller ...
Le retours vers la civilisation intergalactique est enfin a
Morgan Dhu
Jun 12, 2015 Morgan Dhu rated it liked it
Having much fun doing my Marion Zimmer Bradley re-read. Rediscovery (co-written by MZB and Mercedes Lackey, pub. 1993) tells the story of the rediscovery of the planet Darkover by the Terran Empire, more than 2,000 years after the original colonists crashed there. The crew of the survey ship that finds the planet try to follow basic First Contact rules, but when the flyer they send down to make an exploratory visit crashes during a storm in the Hellers, and the powerful young leronis Leonie Hast ...more
Brian
Jun 24, 2015 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
That's it?

I first read Rediscovery years ago, and all I remembered before I reread it this time was that the Terrans set a whole forest on fire and...no, that was it. I didn't remember any of the characters or anything else that happens, and now that I've reread it, it turns out that's because nothing that was actually memorable happened.

It starts out promising enough, with the Terrans dropping out of FTL near the Cottman system, setting up a base on one of the moons, and doing weather surveys
John
Aug 29, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, scifi-fantasy
Grade B. Book 3.5. Year 2000. The recontact of earth with Darkover goes awry and ends with some tragic results, at least in that, of my two favorite characters, one doesn't fare well and the other dies.

It is a pretty engrossing book, especially in the first half. But there are plot problems throughout. For example: Why would the dry areas of the planet not be the landing site? If they are covered with cloud all the time, they should also have more water. Why would any skilled pilot even start th
Doreen
Mar 24, 2010 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out so well. You know that the sci-fi setting of the first chapter is on a direct collision course for the high fantasy of the second chapter, and the characters of Ysaye and Leonie are drawn well enough to intrigue you. Leonie is rapidly presented as an unsympathetic protagonist whom you still want to root for: her character development in this novel is perhaps the most well-realized part of it. But Evans is never really made anything more than a caricature, even when he puts ...more
Carole-Ann
May 05, 2012 Carole-Ann rated it really liked it
Diving into a Darkover session :)

Missed this when it was first released, although I remember when MZB began collaborating with others on her stories and I wasn't too impressed.

However, this was a good one. The story is of a group of Terrans who land on one of Darkover's moons with the intention of finding out whether or not the planet is habitable. Unbeknownst to them, Leone Hastur, a potential Keeper (she's only 15), has sensed them and somehow makes telepathic contact with Ysaye,the computer s
Lucy Takeda
Jun 03, 2016 Lucy Takeda rated it really liked it
This is one of the most logical Darkover novels I have read. It covers Terrans reconnecting with the Darkover colony. There are telepathy, folk who refuse to believe in telepathy, numerous cultural conflicts, and exposure to Ghost Winds. Again, pride is presented as a major downfall for several characters.
Debi
Mar 01, 2014 Debi rated it it was amazing
Once again visiting Darkover. Really liked this story but found the ending somewhat disappointing. Still I was totally engrossed in this book of "First Contact".
Nicole
Feb 14, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
I really looked forward to this book, however ended up being slightly disappointed by it. Part of that was that I'd built it up in my mind, part of that was the story itself. I did very much enjoy reading about how the Terrans and the Darkovans established first contact and look forward to reading this book again when I re-read all the books some time in the future.

Update: Looking through the list of Darkover books several months after writing this review, this book is one I remember well and th
Norman Howe
One of the weakest of the Darkover novels. Left me unsatisfied.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I believe this was the first Darkover book I ever read. It was over a decade ago, and I snagged it from the spinning rack where the SF/F paperbacks were kept because at the time I was a big Mercedes Lackey fan. By the time I was done with the book I was also an MZB fan.

This doesn't stand up to time and changed tastes terribly well, but it is interesting to see this and get a different view to characters like Leonie Hastur and Kadarin, who reappear in later books, like Heritage of Hastur, The For
Bron
Jun 09, 2012 Bron rated it really liked it
Very readable story. It fills in a gap in the history of Darkover (and I'm the sort of reader who really does like to know all the back story!). I think it introduces a few characters who appear in some of the major stories, but it's a long time since I read Sharra's Exile - I'd have to go back and re-read. It describes how a terran expidition finds a long-lost colony on a strange planet. The people have forgotten that they came from earth originally and have evolved their own customs and religi ...more
Gregory
Nov 16, 2011 Gregory rated it liked it
A very solid three, just shy of a four, and easily the best thing she has written in the series in some time. It was an interesting story about a time alluded to in some of the other books and short stories about the time the Terran Empire rediscovers the lost Terran colony thousands of years after its founding, a time when the natives no longer remember their Terran origins. Nice to have that gap filled in.
Bruce
Feb 23, 2013 Bruce rated it liked it
This is a chink filler and it suffers from a rather stacato telling segmentation that tries to be mysterious and captivating but somehow manages to mostly be annoying. Not annoying enough to cast the book aside but if I had read it on the outward leg of a sky trip it would be gracing the bedside table of a hotel somewhere. Worth the read, worth the price, but not obviously worth the space on a bookshelf.
Jimmy
When a long lost Darkover colony is discovered, a group of scientists quickly assemble to take the colonists the latest in technological hardware and supplies. Only when they arrive, they discover that in the intervening centuries since the colony was established, it has degenerated into a feudal patriarchy, the polar opposite of the rest of the empire.
Jimmy
Oshun
Jun 20, 2012 Oshun rated it liked it
In some ways it is better written than the older Darkover books, but it lacks something that the earliest of those had. Hard to put my finger on what is missing. It does fill back-story/canon holes for those who need to know every detail of the Darkover history.
Cindy
Aug 29, 2011 Cindy rated it it was ok
Started out decently but ended with a whimper. Very much a filler book. As a continuity nerd I noticed rather glaring timeline issues between this and The Bloody Sun, which just annoyed me. I'll see if they are explained away in the books set between.
Nicole Diamond
Apr 30, 2016 Nicole Diamond rated it did not like it
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Jeanne Johnston
Oct 26, 2015 Jeanne Johnston rated it it was amazing
Despite all the reviews I see (ALL the reviews) pooh poohing this as boring and contradictory, I was glad to see the storylines merging at last--even though it made me root all the more for the Darkovans.. Really, do humans have to ruin everything?
Lance
Mar 29, 2012 Lance rated it it was ok
This could have been much better. There is much in the book that is very enjoyable and then it literaly stubs its toes and falls flat on its face. A quick read, and I doubt if I will make any effort to read any of the others of the series.
Ellen Bard
Aug 27, 2012 Ellen Bard rated it liked it
I have enjoyed the Darkover series for a long time, and had missed this one, but it felt a bit like half a story rather than a full novel. Some great ideas, but not quite followed through, or rather, picked up in other books later.
Chris
Jul 04, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Like Ann McCaffrey's Pern novels, the Darkover series walks the line between fantasy and science fiction. I read this book because it is written more from the science fiction perspective, which is what I liked about it.
  • By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Sword and Sorceress 23
  • Brain Ships (Brainship, #2-3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Darkover - Chronological Order (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Darkover Landfall (Darkover, #1)
  • Stormqueen! (Darkover, #2)
  • Thunderlord: A Darkover Novel
  • The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Hawkmistress! (Darkover, #6)
  • A Flame in Hali (Darkover, #5) (Clingfire, #3)
  • Two to Conquer (Darkover, #7)
  • The Heirs of Hammerfell (Darkover, #8)
  • The Shattered Chain (Darkover, #10)

“the concept of monotheism” 0 likes